Circuit Training

Hi all,

Ive set myself a goals firstly for a 5km run in 20 minutes (ambitious). Secondly, I am trying to improve my whole upper body strength. Im pretty poor at that.

Currently im 27, and the last 2 weeks I have ran 5km both hitting around 25m 20secs. Prior to these runs, the first weeks of January i ran around 15 miles a week (which I was chuffed with, as I have never ran that much before in my life).

I have read that to improve 5km times I should be doing, a long run, a speed run, etc. My question is, would the high intensity circuit training give a similar effect as say hill sprinting, or fartlek? I understand its not running, but i mean in terms of increasing VO2 max and all that.

Or, should I be able to cope with plenty of circuit training and plenty of running, without wearing myself out and going backwards?

Apologies if these questions are stupid! Thanks!

Comments

• Circuit training won't give you the same effect as intervals would. But as your mileage is so low anyway - you'll be able to improve your times just by getting more miles in.

I'd just do a bit of base training first - so get some runs in at an easier pace to build up your stamina. And then you can parkrun every week or two and use that as a speed session. Convention is that you shouldnt do speed sessions until you have base mileage in place. You're more likely to get injured on a speed session and doubly so if you're a new runner.

25 mins is a good first effort and with some consisten running you'll see the minutes drop off.
  • How much is 'consistent running'?! I ask because i did the parkrun the day after circuit training and I felt dead! Im just not sure how much I can/or should be able to do in terms of miles, sessions, ciruits, weight training.

• i can only mirror what cougie said on this one. funny as im reading abook about XC/road running and it too says to stay clear of circuit untill fitness is at a higher level.

25 mins is still a good time by anyones standard, build up the miles slowly and its always going to improve, it happened to me and im just slow running most days image

• Mr Me 3 wrote (see)

How much is 'consistent running'?! I ask because i did the parkrun the day after circuit training and I felt dead! Im just not sure how much I can/or should be able to do in terms of miles, sessions, ciruits, weight training.

You might find that this improves with time.  If you've just started circuit training then it can take it out of you.  But you find it a problem then, try to structure your week so that your circuits are followed by an easy running day rather than a hard day.

Perhaps combine the two and run (slowly) to the gym for your circuit classes.

I think what Cougie means by 'consistent running' if hitting your target mileage every week and gradually increasing that mileage as you improve.

• I guess it doesnt help that I dont have any structure and just do what as and when I feel!

I guess I could tryand work towards this Royal Marines training plan? And hope that my body will get used too it?

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/custom/navy/trainingtool.html

Thanks for your replies.