HADD training plan

Comments

• Yeah I like the 'Cardio Drift' cant wait for the film! That would make sense, as it was fine till about 10 miles, but it did also get noticably hotter then too, out for 3 hours from 14:30, it was 16:30 when it started to get really cooking image Endurance is after all what I am working on, and its going to take time, but as long as I have even a small understanding of whats happening, I'll keep at it!

It was a really nice feeling getting to the end feeling pretty good, and being able to think a third lap would have been possible, but hard work.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Andi, Happy Birthday for Friday. Some lovely pressies and not even a big birthday! 

Cheesy, cracking 3 hour stint in the heat. I really can appreciate that after yesterday! 

Got out early* yesterday and managed to get an hour in before the parkrun. 20mins for the 5k then had 10mins chatting. The run home was really testing. It was hilly (always is), it was hot and I was thirsty and hadn't taken a drink with me. Got home with a round the houses route, and realised I was going to be 20mins short of my 2.25 hour target. 2 more laps of the block, passing the house, and I had finished! Chuffed getting it done. 16miles @75% 8.23 pace.

* early for me

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Spen that's a great 5k PB, well doneimage. Was that just off the base training or have you been putting in some intervals too?

Cheesy well done on that 3 hour long runimage

Andi happy birthday for Friday fella - nice haul of pressies too!  I love my hot yoga; it's a shame I can't wear my glasses, as that would make it infinitely betterimage

Brian well done for sticking to the plan in this heat - nice pace for 75% tooimage

Up and out by 0630 this morning to get another sub-LT in before the day got too hot.  Happy with 7:57mm over 8 miles, av. HR 78%, with the last few miles a fairly stable 82% or 83%.image That's 2 sub-LTs this week - legs are feeling a little tired now.

Another week is over: 69m in 10h04, 8:45mm avg. pace, 70%max avg. HR

• Teknik   I have never done any intervals.   

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

wow spen - I want some of that speed off of no interval training please image. Goes to show how well aerobic training really works. Congrats on a brilliant 5k time there!

Happy belated b'day, Andi image

Nice sub LT work, Tek. We love 7:5x pace don't we image

Brian: that long run sounds tough. I have to avoid passing by my house coz the lure to simply stop is too tempting.

Lovely day out on the bike yesterday, followed by too much vino and a raging hangover this morning image  there goes my 5k race out of the window ...  oh well a 2pm start on a hot day would have resulted in a mediocre time anyway. I would have entered on the day, so no money lost image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

forgot to say: nice 3 hour run, cheesy image  you have by far the best forum name I've ever come across

• Sounds like a great run/s Sat Brian image Am impressed you just slipped in a 20 minute 5k! Early for me seems to be the crack of Midday at weekends these days. I'm with Chick on loops near my house as it's just too easy to stop so prefer out 'n backs.

Teknic, another uber good week of running image

spen, sounds like your flying now!

Chick, are we all just a bunch of drunks running to burn the beer/vino cals?

Busy day today, Andy Murray and F1 so recorded Andy after the second set (F1 was also being recorded) and went out for 13.1 miles - it was too hot and hit 70% after just a few hundred yards and really struggled. Got to halfway in 1:15 @77% MAX and back in 1:32 getting the HR down to 75%. Had several walk breaks and ended up with 2:47 (12:47mm) but guess it's a benchmark and Cheesy, very similar to your times. Garmin tells me the incline is about the same as Loch Ness so guess my run was twice as hilly for the distance (400 metres) and about half the decline. 

Hope to get a couple of easy runs runs in Mon, Tues then off to France where it's up to 40 degrees! (that's C not F btw).

Weeks stats, 31.31 miles in 6:06:08, 11:42 min/mile and 71.81% of MAX

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

Chick, are we all just a bunch of drunks running to burn the beer/vino cals?

tee hee, you got a point there, Andi. I took up running so I could eat more but it's a good way to drink more too image  I tend to be teetotal for a few weeks (well, like 2 weeks really) leading up to my major A race though image
    Well battled yesterday and kudos for keeping your HR in check. That's a lot of incline image

Felt guilty about being so lazy this WE so I decided to get my act together and re-try that horrendous 13 miler with 8 @ MP this morning.
    Ended up with 13 miles at 8:00 (av. HR 79%) and the 8 faster miles averaged 83% which came out as 7:48 image. I felt like a completely different person as opposed to Friday when I hated every step and just wanted to throw my toys out of the pram ...

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Tek, great numbers! But when you post your weekly stats it's plain to see why. Cracking weekly mileage again. 

Chick, great biking weather over here too. Trouble is though mines rusting away in the garage. Nothing wrong with your focus - well done getting the mlr re-done.

Andi, I must admit to running past home purposefully. Test the focus/discipline. Enjoy your trip to France. 

My weekly stats:

53 miles 7hrs2mins 7.55 pace HRav 130 (70.6%)

• Crikey - I go away for the weekend and the thread explodes!!

Happy B'day Andi - and France to look forward to!image - there myself for a wedding in 2 weeks (not mine !!!!image).

Great running everyone - especially in this heat (for those in UK) - maybe Mull is a bit cooler (in every wayimage).

Got my dates mixed up for spine brace release - officially it's this Thursday with 2 weeks after that part time when out walking dog (RAGGS - see pic image). Back / spine feels OK - except in the mornings - apparently all the ligaments / muscles around now have to sort themselves out as well the bone. Already starting to plan recovery exercises.

• Hello all.  One week in and loving all the updates from people.  Can only say WOW to some of the pace/mileage you are all doing.  Gives even us newbies a little hope.

My week was slightly less dramatic 26 miles at a pace of 12:12 and 72%  still probably my biggest mileage week and legs dont feel the effects as much as before.

• Chick, I too used running to let me eat more to start, not really on a diet but logged all my food for 6 months over at myfitnesspal but can pretty much guesstimate my intake now. I'd like to go teetotal for a couple of weeks but struggle doing it for 24 hoursimage Well done at turning around your bad run - shows commitment image

Brian, passing home is too easy for me to give up, even doing laps of a local lake (dead on a mile) I'll curtail it early image Great stats (as always btw).

Txs BeDe, and enjoy your wedding image Good luck for Thursday!! Obviously I don't know how your feeling but had a diskectomy about 10 years ago and the pain was excruciating - took me 12 weeks to recover and get back to work (even then it was part time for 3 months). Oh, don't skimp on the excercises, I did and probably added weeks onto recovery. Say hi to RAGGS ;)

Sub, well done with your stats though I'd have gone that extra 385 yards to make it a Marathon weekimage Pretty soon you'll be reaping the HADD benefits I'm sure. My first noticeable gain was being able to go out on consecutive days as DOMS became a thing of the past.

No run for me today, work sh&te got in the way and been packing tonight. Am unhappy with KLM as they want £50 to put a single bag in the hold! (thought they were a bigger player). So, packed as much stuff as possible into a cabin bag and as it's high season and the flight is already £100 more than last time I'm skipping the hotel in glasgee and gonna camp in the airportimage

• Andi Airport camping sounds like fun!! Although having been to Glasgow i can imagine why you might prefer it image

Wasnt till yesterday that i added up the mileage but given i had a rest day and a swimming day last week this weeks target is to go beyond the marathon distance.  didnt seem to notice any DOMS at all last week but looking forward to the days my knees stop giving me gyp.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Morning All ...image

Feels like a Mondayimage as I took yesterday off work ... but great to read back and see all the hard workimage.

Cheesy- very nice loooooong run!image

Brian well toughed out in the heat.image

sub ... good progress!image

Andi - happy birthday ... happy hols ... and happy camping.image

BeDe ... won't be long until it's all a distant memory!

Chick - great cycling and running ... MP session was super!image

Spen - sub-20 5K off base training!image

Tek - another great week ... and your legs deserve to be shot!image

I took Saturday off ... Sunday I was up ay 05:30 and did 13.2 hilly miles at 67% maxHR (9:49/m)... at least I avoided the heat! Then I took my lad to the undulation Eccup junior 2M race. He repeated his 4th place frpom last year but did it 30s quicker (12:15ish on my watch). Felt sorry for the seniors having to race 10M in those temperatures!

I took Monday off work but slotted in a 6.6M run at lunchtime, again at 67% maxHR (9:44/m), but didn't avoid the heat this time. Today it's bike commute and then a slow 2 x 3.7M at lunch to catch the boy racing 800m at his school sports day (as far as he's concerned, this is the big race of the season). So, 45 miles this week plus 50 on the bike ... 5 weeks of post-injury training done and looking good.

/members/images/430220/Gallery/training_graphs.jpg

Although I did two sub-LTs last week,  I think I will cut back to a single sub-LT on a Wednesday and try to increase it to 10M over the next few weeks ... meanwhile I'll also increase the LSR distance, keeping it sub-70%. Everything else will be 5-7ish at sub 70%. Once I get the sub-LT and LSR up to distance, I'll re-assess.

• Morning image

The Tempo went better than expected! mile warmup at sub130, just under 4 miles at what turned out to be between 9:00 and 9:30 pace with HR going 155-160 which is 83-86% but do remember I did a hilly route, and the hills were a killer image Still, on the more level bits, it soon came down below 150 80% so all in all, well pleased. I will be looking at a different part of the forest for these Tempos tho, I can repeat a 1.5 mile section which has very little climb, so I wont get hassled by the hills! Was actually really nice to keep going at that speed for that long! Never been able to do that without feeling like i'm dieing at the end of it. Somethings working image

Some nice running and stats by everyone! 

Chick: image 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Spen like Chick says, that's an awesome time just off base trainingimage

Chick well done for getting out and doing the 13m - great pace for the 8 @ MP tooimage

Andi nice week's stats - over 6 hours running is good work, and good to see the average HR nice and low.  Enjoy the airport !!!

Brian nice total for the week, and to average sub-8 at such a low HR is awesome

BeDe great newsimage

Sub60 that's the beauty of Hadd - build, build, build, without injury...

DD well done on Sunday's early 13.2m.  Congrats to juniorDD on the Eccup 2mimage. I like the shape of those graphs - you're building well !image  I'm looking to get the subLTs back to 10m too - hurts a bit too much at the moment...image

Cheesy well done on the tempo - I try to keep my fast stuff on the flat, too.

14m for me this morning - 8m sub70%(ish) @ 8:40mm on the road then 6m with some pushes with the club through the woods. Averaged 8:44mm with the club, 71% overall but a few horrible spikes uphill.  Nice breeze hereimage 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good 14 miler Teknik!image

So, I did my 2 x 3.7M runs ... leg 1 was from work to the athletics track where I found that my son had already racedimage ... and had a strapped up kneeimage. He won the javelinimage, then spontaneouslyimage went in for the 100m as no one from his class would do it (came 4th) and finally turned out for his "A" event, the 800m. Unfortunately I suspect he'd fried his fast twitch muscles by then, came under more pressure than he'd expected and ended up getting hurt (he limped in for 3rd about 10s slower than his PB - he will be gutted!). Lesson of the dayimage ... keep the ego in check and focus on the "A" event!!! So, after a 10 min chat, I ran back to work.image

Very hot and a pretty depressing route through south Leeds... but 7.35 miles bagged in total at 71% maxHR and 9:05/m.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Just checking in. Nice work all (especially in the heat).

I spent most of last week on vacation. And instead of landing on the beaches of the Atlantic, I ended up in Hell's frying pan. 90%+ humidity and temps at 80 degrees F at 6 am (into the upper 90s by midday). I'm a starting to get just a bit annoyed with the constant heatimage. But am adapting slowly.

So after taking M-W off, I got in the following runs (8M, 10, 6, 15). The 15 miler was a thing of beauty...first 7 at sub70% HR and last 8 at 75%...paces were spot on for my program and I felt strong and nothing hurt. Achilles was great during all of last week's runs but woke up with some stiffness yesterday. Saw my PT and turns the whole calf above it is a mess (knots, knots and more knotsimage!). Anyway, she punished me and got most of them undone. Bought a stick and am now in business I think.

Also learned that I was 1 week ahead in my P&D schedule. Therefore I have a flex week in my build up. Am debating when to use but will try staying on target for now and maybe plug it in later (I have a 21, 20, and 18 with many miles at pace on the next 3 Sundays). Oh, also have a world class blister (formed under the callous on my little toe...surgery required and I'm recovering well...amazing how fast the skin heals) and passed some blood after the long run sunday (exercise induced ischemia of the large bowel per my doc...Pretty sure the hot weather led to more blood being shunted from that area). All is good now though.

I'm looking for a calm weekimage...fingers crossed.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image Vacation? That mostly sounds like a lot of painimageimageimage. Nice running!image

So, today I cycled to work and then went straight out for my sub-LT (as I will be too busy later). After doing a 5 and two 6s so far, today's plan was 7 laps of the park at sub-LT. I miscounted and ended up doing 8. The weird thing was that my HR was low for the effort level ... I couldn't push it up to 145 bpm but I assure you I wasn't taking it easy. In fact, I ran the first 6 laps at 7:31/m for 136 bpm (last week, the same pace was coming out at 4-5% higher at 143-144 bpm). I think this is some weird effect of doing it straight off a bike ride ... I certainly felt like I was at 82% and the last two laps saw the pace start to drift.

1, 7:26/m, 131 bpm
    2, 7:30/m, 136 bpm
    3, 7:21/m, 141 bpm
    4, 7:31/m, 140 bpm
    5, 7:42/m, 139 bpm
    6, 7:35/m, 141 bpm
    7, 7:46/m, 140 bpm
    8, 7:46/m, 140 bpm

8.32M at 7:35/m and 138.5 bpm (79% maxHR)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

DD good running !  Shame about juniorDD's A race but nice javelin winimage.  Nice pace for this mornings subLTimage

VT blimey there's a lot going on with you!  Take care of that Achilles.  Well done in the heatimage

SubLT this morning - 1m w/up then 7m.  Managed 7:59mm, was doing nicely with a flat 83%, then I hit a half mile hill and the HR "popped" to 85%, despite slowing the pace, and it refused to go down again.  Buggerimage.  I blame the heat...

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

It was noticeably cooler first thing this morning, so I got the long run in - 18m @ 8:48mm, HR averaged 70%, last few miles had a 75% ceiling - so same pace as last week but HR 2% lower. image

• DD / Tek - great sub-LT runs - not sure I'd worry about 2% drift too much!

VT - passing blood?? Cripes I'd be scared stiff

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Hi BeDe,

This happened to me in December and I was rightly concerned. But had a colonoscopy done and it showed all was normal. The Doc explained he see's this quite often in endurance athletes. Basically, the large intestine has an area that normally is slightly underperfused (getting less than normal quantities blood). When we run, our blood is diverted from certain organs (such as the digestive tract) to the areas in need (muscles). When this happens, that area in the colon is further deprived of O2 which can result in the death of epithelial cells...end result is some very short term bleeding. This guy told me I'd likely see this again periodically. I really think the extreme heat/humidity exacerbated the rerouting of blood away from my colon to help cool my body.

In other news, my blister has taken a long time to heal. I might finally be able to run today. So another week where I took M-W off...but in the big picture, I think I needed it on many levels.

My legs are SUPER tingly right nowimage

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

VT ... save it for the subLT! image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Some great running there Tek & Dr. Dan image

VT: bet your legs are itchy. That colon thing sounds a bit image but at least you have confirmation that it's nothing to worry about. Glad the blister has disappeared.

P&D LT run for me today ... was dreading it (like I dread anything that has to do with tempo and is likely to hurt image) but I had a great run - 8.3 miles with 4 @ 6:52 image no idea where they came from. I don't do miles starting with a 6 image. That's quicker than any 10k pace I've ever done. Bet it was a one-off. HR was 88% for those.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Chick, you are stepping up. Fantastic pace, almost unbelievable. But not quite.

Knowing how much good work has gone into the last few weeks, improvement was bound to happen. 

Some cracking stuff going on not least DrDan and junior. Tek good mlr and then sub-lt. Vt lots of medical stuff there. Hope you had a good holiday and take care.

Tough day yesterday, and feeling quite stiff as a result. Circuits at lunch and track session in the evening. 10x300m with 90s jog/walk recovery. Nearly all 57-58s, apart from 8th 56s and the last one which was 52s.

Well pleased with the set.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

8.3 miles with 4 @ 6:52

Chick, that's a great session!! Good times ahead! image

10x300m with 90s jog/walk recovery. Nearly all 57-58s, apart from 8th 56s and the last one which was 52s.

Brian, that's a quality session, even without lunchtime cicuits!image

I missed both cycling and runnning yesteday ... back bike commuting today and hoping to do a longish one on the canal later.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)

... back bike commuting today and hoping to do a longish one on the canal later.

Doneimage ... 10.1 miles, 68% maxHR, 9:44/m.

• OK - brace is off!! (except when walking RAGGS for next 2 weeks)

Think I'll get on the bike tonight and do 40mins easy - a bit scared of running as yet - especially as I have to wear it walking the dog. So I'm planning to start the running again early August. Hurrah!! image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image good news BeDe! image