Indoor rowing machine as cross training?

I'm currently running 35-45 miles a week, sometimes less if I have no races, and was wondering if swapping my easy run for doing some rowing down the gym would benefit me.

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Rowing is a fantastic aerobic work-out and definitely a good complement to running. You work a huge range of muscles so as well as being a good calorie burner it's good for exercising muscles that running doesn't reach and is great for core strength.

There's been a few discussions on here but I'd suggest having a look through this thread (warning: I feature heavily!) for more, including suggestions on how to progress training sessions.  Here's the Pete Plan that RW user Muttley refers to.

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link that's a great help. Is there a way of setting up intervals on a concept rowing machine?. I usually do 500 meters, 2000 meters or just a single time. Thanks
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

All right Muttley!  image

MrSoft wrote (see)
    Thanks for the link that's a great help. Is there a way of setting up intervals on a concept rowing machine?. I usually do 500 meters, 2000 meters or just a single time. Thanks

Yes, depending on what machine you've got I'm sure you should be able to pre-programme an interval session where you can specify distance and/or time for any number of reps. 

My rowing's been a bit on and off recently.  Just 26 sessions so far this year according to the training log, and my main strategy for marathon training (VMLM 2017) is to run more miles, with most of my x-training being in the form of cycling.  I never did invest in a Concept 2, and the gym is further away than it used to be!

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Core strength benefits is something that appeals to me for sure and I'm sure it will help my running.
  • > @MrSoft said:
    > Thanks for the link: https://www.10machines.com/best-rowing-machine that's a great help. Is there a way of setting up intervals on a concept rowing machine?. I usually do 500 meters, 2000 meters or just a single time. Thanks

Concept Model D is the best rower you can get in descent price. Although a bit expensive but I am using it for the last 5 years and never had a single problem with it.