Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Track thursday: 12*300 off 60 secs target 49/50.  Found I had to concentrate and they felt harder than normal but got through.

They came out 47, 48, 49, 49, 49, 49, 49, 49, 49, 50, 49, 47.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Still a good session - one old man who isn't feeling it image

Bloody Ian Kimpton - just stole one of my best Strava CRs! Him and his 29 min 10k and 64 half - who does he think he is image

Now that would be an achievement to take back (even though he was just cruising it at 5:20 pace!)

• Options

Strong session Dean, especially off 60s.

No one has taken the Strava CRs I'm proud off. Only the w*nky accidental pavement PBs. Silly really.

• Options

Bus - When I finally get down to training at Luton again I'll warn Ian off for ya image...I bet he's missing his COUGH!!! 'training partner'...

Good solid stuff again Dean, hope the wind finally died off a bit,

Iron - not really bothered with Strava..I know it's a good logging tool, but the competition over bits of road I find a bit baffling tbh - just as it's just training after all. I suppose racing is more like for like - everyone is eyeballs out.

• Options

Simon - I use it as a social logging tool. Any CRs or KOMs I have are purely accidental.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Strong stuff on those reps Dean!

Not sure staying up until 2:30 last night will be beneficial for the race on Sunday.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's alright Dachs - as long as you don't do that tomorrow night image

Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Bus - When I finally get down to training at Luton again I'll warn Ian off for ya image...I bet he's missing his COUGH!!! 'training partner'...

Good solid stuff again Dean, hope the wind finally died off a bit,

Iron - not really bothered with Strava..I know it's a good logging tool, but the competition over bits of road I find a bit baffling tbh - just as it's just training after all. I suppose racing is more like for like - everyone is eyeballs out.

No, no, no - everyone attempting to take a CR  must be specifically aiming for it and giving their all - I bet Ian Kimpton bust a gut just so he could beat me image

• Options

I absolutely love Strava! I wish more people were on it. I've used it to find a really good runner with about the same weekly mileage as me and have planned my taper for my marathon in the same way they tapered for theirs. What a useful tool! 

Here's hoping running actually is a one sized fits all model after all...

• Options
    Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭

Dean - Stonking session. I'll hazard a guess that you'd be looking to progress that to a 10 x 400m at some point to be absolutely certain, but you've got to be confident already of something close to 4:20 for a Mile off that session? Cranking that out in early May is certainly a bloody good place to be. Cut out the p*ssing about with an immediately preceding 400m race and pacing your mate this time, and providing you stay fit and healthy, I think Dave Moorcroft might just be saying goodbye to his long standing 1500m Vets League record on the 17th June...time to get selfish!

P.S. I think that session was allowed to feel hard. image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Well, just back from an 11.2 M xc. Slow as anything, legs like lead and adductor sore for the last couple of miles - all pants really!

Not sure why recovery seems to be taking so long these days - age I guess! Anyone else in the late 40s noticing the same? Just a couple of years ago, in the same week as this I ran a course PB at Pednor 5 on the Monday, several hilly xc route PBs during the week, 16 miles on the Thursday and then my current 5M pb at Marlow on the Sunday! I can't even imagine having a week like that now without wrecking myself.

It's odd, as race times have remained reasonably consistent over the same time - some have even improved.

Bearing in mind I'm in my mid 50's, I'm in no position to answer this one.

Ok then. Speed session at 07:00. 2 mile wu, followed by 40 x 40 seconds with 20 seconds recovery (standing still) 2 mile wd.

Covered over 5 miles with the fast bits. No forcing the pace.

4 miles easy recovery while hydrated with lager. Very relaxed.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You've probably come out the other side of the decline Ric image

40 reps??  Blimey......

Can't say I've ever run after beer (not a proper training run anyway!). I'd be too scared of tripping over or something image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, part experiment, part dare from the lad.

I'd noticed the energy levels had returned while doing this while using the indoor bike, so thought I'd try it out. Seemed to work. Usually if I go out after working the gardens it's a wretched affair. Today the mile splits went 9:20, 8:26, 8:20 and 8:00 with the same jog-as-it-comes effort.

Given the choice on the startline between lucozade sport and a bottle of real ale, its going to be the beer. What the hell. Its all calories. And lets face it, its a superior energy drink.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've had some of my best training runs after a few beers the night before.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not this morning!

3M leg loosener today. Legs are stiff as anything and the adductor has flared up. I'm never doing 200s again! Not helped by an impromptu race back from the chip shop against my son last night with no warm up - doh! And he beat me!

Still, I'm sure the old race day magic will work it's wonders tomorrow - hope so anyway!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

200's Bus.

When was that?

🙂

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good luck to those racing tomorrow.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Andrew. Wednesday Ric - only 2 of them to see how my leg speed was. Not fast was the answer! Legs have felt heavy for the last fortnight, so can't really blame the 200s tbh. Mini taper before Staines next week, but tomorrow will just have to be what it is...

• Options

I'll be at a race but not racing: touch of man flu.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

6 miles easy and strides on Thurs, Fri off, 4.5 easy miles and strides today. The cold seems to be nearly gone.

Strava - personally don't like it at all. A mate told me, some fireman (who I don't know)was lording it up having 'beat' some club runner on a hill section where I'd been easy running at 6:55 per mile. He had done 6:30s and was giving it the big one. After that I deleted it, can't be doing with people trying to be king of a made up stretch of road. Plus all the bull shitters who are smashing about on bikes.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. GMR for me, I usually get on telly and will be wearing my black Cheshire vest with red shorts. Going out hard and will see what happens. Hopefully back below 36mins.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I'd hazard a guess that 'heavy legged' stuff is no more than glycogen depletion. 

I avoid it myself by means of downing a loaf of bread each day along with around half a dozen hot cross buns, and rice and pasta, and quite a lot of booze, and a gallon of tea and coffee, and the odd bowl of rice krispies.

10 miles early today. 7:40 average pace. Over 70 miles this week with more tomorrow.

Averaged 75 miles/wk for 15 weeks.

🙂

• Options

I'm averaging about 22 miles a week running at the moment.

We started off as tailrunner at parkrun today. Once the tailrunner arrived we relinquished our dayglo and carried on. Daughter annoyed with 45 min parkrun and tells me that after her 10th run she'll never run the 5km one again.

At least it'll be quiet image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

If we add both our mileage together iron, we'd just about scrape near Ric's!

Doubt it's glycogen depletion Ric - I eat like a horse (well, I eat a lot, I don't actually walk round with a bag of oats strapped round my neck...image)

That's some big mileage - you must be aiming for a pretty good time next week at Staines with that lot under you belt. Do you have a target? Mine is sub 36, but more in hope than expectation! I'll be happy with anything under 37 in reality.

Good luck tomorrow Stevie - fingers crossed for a sub 36 yourself - and any other racing.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Ric, is there anything on the loaf or are you troughing dry bread?

Good luck to those racing. The weather looks decent for Manchester SS. Have a good one. I'll be watching on the box. I looked at the elite entry list the other day and noticed 3 people with slower 10k times than myself. The reason I didn't enter was the ??40ish entry fee. Missed the boat though for blogging a freebie as it had to be 2 weeks before.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well I don't actually eat the thing (loaf) in one go. It's called 'taste the difference' from Sainsburys. There's only 17 slices in the bag so I graze throughout the day.

Good enough to eat plain.

There's around 15g of carbs in a slice, which only gives maybe half a mile of fast running, and I'm looking to load up with at least 300g/day just to maintain things.

That gives the option of pushing the pace, which I don't. Should be pointed out that glycogen levels take quite a few days to get back to optimum levels once depleted. And I doubt if most runners eat much more than 100g/day.

🙂

• Options
    Good luck racers! SS fingers crossed sub 36 and Ric at Alton hope it comes together with the patience and consistency you've shown last few weeks

Shame you didn't get involved today Matt, despite the price tag, sometimes have to suck those up. Time for another fast 10km on the CV

Great training going on and some nice results, SC and Dean nice 3000s despite conditions etc. Then nice 300s Dean, weirdly I did a similar session before the 10km a month back. When you produce that session it makes me wonder whether I should focus on track as I can seem to handle a session like that just as fast (without focus on speed stuff if I'm honest) I just can never string anything together though. It's something ok considering once my HM and 10km are out the way end of June.. Dropping to 1500/3000

Managed a few runs since Thursday which was 10 days after surgery. Things seems to be ok but I am feeling sluggish naturally, this week I should be getting back the legs and plan first full session Saturday which will be another 10 days since starting running again. Seems sensible. Strides after each run this week and some faster efforts Tuesday / Wednesday inbetween just to get the legs ready
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    PS - apologies, well done AG for a great marathon last week and Bus good luck today!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Glad to hear the surgery went OK Scott and that you are back running already - impressive!

Marlow 5 forum outing this morning, so a few tales to come no doubt! My own race can be summarised as OK given the lead up to it, but nothing outstanding. 

The first two miles went pretty well at 5:40 pace average (missed the first mile marker). Mile 3, with its slight puke inducing incline at the end that has often been my undoing, was a controlled 5:58. Even though conditions were fairly good - nice and cool, there was a bit of a breeze. This hit worst in the long straight last half mile of mile 4/ With no one to hide behind  this proved my undoing in the end, as trying to hold the pace into the stiff breeze (and also avoid a couple of pig headed motorists who didn't see why they should give way to 1000 runners!) sent me into retching mode, which I didn't quite recover from until way into mile 5.

Managed to outsprint someone on the line by way of compensation, but not enough to see me pat the 20th place runner, so 21st overall in 29:45.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Great running Bus, especially given the premature retching. Wind really does wear you (everyone I mean) down doesn't it! Always got to be happy with a sub 30, they always seem much better than a 30:01!

GMR for me today. Warm up felt great, set off and at 400m realised my watch had gone mental and was in run mode but not tracking any distance, turned it off and on again. But ignored it and ran blind. Asked a bloke at 1KM what the split was 3:15... whoops. Got to 2 KM at 6:35... double whoops! Was really hanging in at 4KM and slowed to 3:40-45ish a K, couldn't get my legs to respond at all. So hung in and ground it out and came home in 36:46.

Was quite windy and overcast making it a sweaty affair, but if truth be told that bug from earlier this week just hasn't shifted and found me wanting.

But 5K on Friday, so looking forward to that! And I got part of my 'sprint' finish on the telly. Even if I did look like a balding scarecrow! image Think tomorrow will be a VERY easy run!

• Options

Good running Bus and SS, hoping the 5km pans out better though pacing wise :P! 

So far so good with the surgery thanks Bus but limited myself to 20-25 minute runs for now so not all as it seems with me "running" again. Come Thursday last lot of bandage comes off and should be able to make another call, providing nothing is infected or loose etc

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Looks like both of us had a similar run today Stevie - OK, but not where we wanted it to be! No matter - more to come, and Marlow isn't even on Po10! Good to get on the telly though image

Scott - that talk of running in bandages is making me think of a bad zombie movie! Good luck with the recovery though....