Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hurray a real 'itis' - Costochondritis not Hypochondritis! Justification at last....image

Hope it eases soon though

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Busy weekend by the sound of it. Well done to the Marlow 5, which I think makes you sound like a rather upper middle class criminal outfit. Especially enjoyed SG's filterless  ramblings. Good running from SS, I watched the TV programme but don't know what you look like, I did try and spot a scarecrow but alas couldn't see one.

Impressive stuff Simon and glad to hear the op went well Scott. 

Iron - Good to see you coming back to form, your patient approach seems to be working. Even starting to finish the odd TT now!

Post Marathon I haven't done much running, two short recovery runs over the week. Still feel a bit heavy legged. First triathlon this weekend in North Wales, lake temp circa 11c apparently. Think the run, which is hilly and XC, may be a struggle with the legs not quite recovered.

Still cycling is going well, getting close to a few pointless Strava KOM's!

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Nice report, and thanks for the pat, PMJ.  However, your reports often forget to mention your time.

For a statto that is a serious omission indeed.Actually looking back, nothing really much this year has been for time: the marathon was just a GFA and most of the other races have been preparation for that or recovery afterwards. First big one was due to be Staines but it may be a half-cock affair.

Just got the email:

You Philip ran the race in a time of 00:33:45 for a position of 85

Irritates both my grammar and running senses to read that.

• Options

Cheers Andrew!

Dean - got this 5k road tonight at Cottisford but just trying for sub 16 really - have the Beds track 5k at the weekend, so might try for sub 15.45 there, we'll see. The way I am the 3000m at the weekend will probably end up being my best of the season with no improvement! Annoyingly one tenth off the no.1 in PO10....However Chris Greenwood is doing one tomorrow. I tried to get him to change his mind when I spoke to him at Eton..but he wasn't having any of it image

Matt - yes, had a couple of hangovers and missed a couple of runs, not too bad under the weird circumstances. Not realllly sunk in yet - after seeing Eddie Howe on Monday night football last night it makes us realise how lucky we are at the moment!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not as annoying as the price of the photographs though Philip!

I wish this wind would do one! Track Tuesday today., but a combination of tired legs from Sunday and racing next Sunday meant I only did 4x800m. Times were pretty academic given the wind strength, but at least they moved in the right direction 2:53, 2:51, 2:50, 2:49.

Good luck tonight Simon.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im with you bus, this wind is a nightmare.  due to race this friday i did a track tuesday on monday.  6*600m, target was 1.45-48.  came out 1.43, 1.45, 1.46, 1.46, 1.46, 1.44.

hit the target but didnt feel comfortable on it.  the wind was bad so probably accounted for the extra effort required.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

8 achy miles last night, Track Tuesday today was 8 x 400 off a comfortable 90s.

77, 77, 77, 76, 75, 76, 77, 76. Felt a little better moving at a decent pace but I'm still battered from Sunday and got a snotty nose!

Good racing all on Sunday - it seems we all suffered from the wind a bit. It's still kicking around this week too. Best do one before Friday... and this cold!

Bus, after a race I'd have taken any 800s under 3mins so well done.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ss I have woken up with cold this morning too.  Someone up there is determined for me to not race to my max this summer.  

• Options

The wind is an absoulte ball ache! It's for flying kites and drying clothes and thats about it -wouldn't miss it..Trouble is though if global warming continues, I just think it's going to get windier in the UK..Bag of arse image Got training tomorrow and the forecast looks horrific!

Dean - what a pain! Hope its just a sniffle.

Anyway - onto last night. What a great little race! The Cottisford 5k used to be called the Charndon 5k I think. registration and the finish by the barn and farmhouse, think it was about £10 to enter. So warm up, have a quick chat to my main competitor James Bolton of Woodstock (such a top bloke) and then the 1k jog to the start.

So get going, bit of coughing as I swallowed a few midges on the first k alongside a field. Can hear JB getting closer, but move away a bit up the slight hill at 2k, hit at 6.12. Turn left and its a long stretch to home, with wind behind, thank god! go through 3k in 9.18..gettng a bit excited now - 4k in 12.28 and I can nearly see the farrmhouse and the finish..get there and stop watch on 15.38, equal PB - but I hopefully stopped watch after the timekeepers - will wait and see.

Great night and what running is all about. cheap, fast, friendly and beer prizes!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good effort Simon, on a course I remember reading wasn't the fastest you could hope for when I considered it one other year. Maybe it doesn't matter to you faster types!

Tidy reps elsewhere, although I have to ask, why would you be doing track reps 2 days after a race!? Unless you didn't work that hard in the race surely you need recovery, not working hard again!?

I came away from Sunday's race feeling leg wise like I'd barely run, which is never a sign of a maximised effort, but obviously this rib/breastplate issue came out as the reason.

Spent a while last night reading up on it, and in relation to running. Was quite surprised to find a few threads of people saying they couldn't do any exercise through it, some were off work, some had real pain! I guess like a lot of things there's a scale, and i'm at the lighter end!

Therefore, today was 6miles MP through to 10k.

I went for a reasonable aim for 5miles MP, then ramping it up for the last mile, as I thought that sounds a decent workout, and having slightly reduced breathing capacity wasn't the time to start being a hero.

Therefore, on the track, it panned out as 

20 laps MP                   1.29 laps
    2 laps HMP                  1.26 laps
    2 laps 10k                    1.21 laps  
    (+56m 10k)   

35:33 for the 6miles.

Was pleased to be able to ramp it up nicely in the last mile, and could let fly a bit rather than the held back MP zone.

Could be quite fit if i could lose this blimming rib/breastplate thing!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It'll go in time SG - just keep the faith! Good session despite the it is though! Can't imagine 6 miles on a track (do you not get dizzy?!)

Wouldn't normally do a speed session so soon after a race, but I wanted to have two full days off this week before Sunday's race, and it just seemed better to front-load the week. It's also why I kept the number of reps down. Two easy XCs today, then 2 clear days - good timing as the forecast for tomorrow is horrible!

Quality racing Simon - I love those low key evening races. Fingers crossed for the 1 sec PB image

• Options

Stevie - I can only imagine anyone with a biit of a moan about that course is VERY averse to the slightest hill. The only hill was about 20 metres long at the most!!

Cheers Bus - agreed. Couple of pints after too. Quality night. Shows there is a great appetite for 5k's outside of Parkrun. Still drumming fingers waiting for the results image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, with or without the wind, those are pretty darn quick.

Nice 400s SS, and strong progressive run SG.

Simon, you've really started the summer season in great shape, that's a fantastic 5k. Fingers crossed for the slight PB. All bodes well for even better times to come.

• Options

Cheers Dachs - Fingers crossed I can keep it going, but I'm not always one of those runners who improves through a season. Like with the cross country season, I can start well and tail off a bit, usually a bit up and down!

Track 5,000m on Sunday at the Beds Champs and then the Bupa 10k the following Monday - the 10k PB is 32.38 so I might try and have a pop at that in London.

I'm sure your season will jump into life soon! Still waiting for the results from Tuesday - knew I should have asked at the time!

• Options

Good repping and 5king people. Simon - that wait for a time knowing that it may be a PB though you've mentally added 2s for the timers fumbling fingers.

I flew to Munich Monday afternoon and had an enjoyable run around the Englischergarten Tuesday morning (once I'd found it). Strangest sight was a few people wandering about in wetsuits and with surfboards. Towards the end of my run I found one of the rivers has an artificial reef in it and at 7am people were surfing in the middle of town. Cool.

Yesterday was a very easy short run from Austria across the border in to Germany and back. Not bad for 30 minutes work. Tonight's TT mya be a DNS due to rain.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Next race for me is an 800, so at least I can go into that without any pressure of expectation.  Should be fun.  I've done no relevant work for an 800 whatsoever.

• Options

Iron - got an email with unofficial 15.40! All us LBAC'ers have their time 2/3 secs slower than they got on their watches..hey ho I suppose, but a bit annoying.

Love all those beer gardens in Munich - went there on a stag do 5/6 years ago, luckily over the Euro 2008 semi final weekend, toured them all.

Enjoy the 800 Dachs. I probably won't do one this year though. Young man's game image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Indeed it is a young man's game - unfortunately, it's a Vets track meeting, so, at 37, I am a young man.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice border crossing run that Iron - cool!

Frustrating Simon...

Dachs - when is the 800?

Anyone fancy one of the Monday evening Battersea Park 5ks?

I'm thinking of 1st June or 1st July as possibilities - maybe heading into town from Aylesbury after work and then cross town to Battersea Park on the bike.

I picked a good day for a rest today image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon - bad luck on the timing round up but still a very sharp time on a not perfect course.

dachs - good luck with the 800, i think you will land a 2.08

sg & ss - very decent sessions

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Simon - bad luck, but just use that as motivation to not leave any room for doubt next time.

Dean - I love your confidence in me. If I somehow pulled a 2:08 from the mess of the last couple of months, I'd can all my planned summer races and just do middle distance instead...

Bus - Monday night
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - be careful with comments like that , thats how it started for meimage

• Options

Ha ha. Yes careful Dachs!!

What a lovely night to do 8 x 800 around the field in a wet Luton..and bloody cold! it was up 2/3 of the field and back down the other side, so the even reps are faster than the odd ones. think they were about 2.31-2.28 for the odds and 2.28 - 2.24 for the evens.

Everyone found it tough and very breathy in the cold..so hard to get going..

• Options

And yet it is warm again today. I turbo'd last night instead of TTing. Much safer.

I like the sound of the flat 5km, I guess that's similar to the 10km that PeteM mentioned. One day I'll make it to the LFOTM too.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Christleton 5k tonight. Lightning fast course so was well rested and gunning for a pb. Left 2 hrs 25mins before the start so I would get a good car park space.  It's only 40m from work.   hit major traffic on m56 and a sign up saying major delays to j15 and gave a eta to the junction so was clear I wasn't going to make it on time.  Using the twins Tom & Tom I recalculated a journey getting off at the next junction.  new eta gave me an hour before the start.  A mile in and stuck in traffic.  I moved 3 miles in 50 mins.  At race start time I was in gridlock 5m outside of christleton. At which time i asks the toms to guide me home.   

Great start to the season, rubbish 1500, awful 3000 and a DNS tonight.  I must be due a change of fortune now image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's pretty shit Dean! The Ying and Yang of running surely has to swing the other way for you soon...

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Bad luck Dean, we hit the same traffic but local knowledge won as I directed my mate around the back roads. They did put the start back 5 mins, but a 7:15 start time is daft, as the Chester road is gridlocked at the best of times.

I got there late so a quick warm up of 2 miles with drills, strides an' all that. I had no real target for this as I was just hoping the cold had shifted.

First K was 3:15, felt nice and easy, 2nd K had a slight incline 3:29, then worked my backside off in the 3rd K and went past some local rivals. At this point I knew I was going well. But I thought don't get excited, a 5K can go tits up in the blink of an eye. Luckily, 3rd K was 3:24, then a leggy 3:30 4th K.

With a K to go I knew I was in the hunt so just ran my arse off and followed a local rival who was making a sizable, early kick for home, he won but the hard work was done. Last K was circa 3:20. Went over the line in 17:00 so was happy with a PB. Then got a text saying my official time was 17:00. Disappointed but happy with a 12 seconds PB.

THEN got an email saying my chip time (God f**king bless chip timing) was 16:58. Screamed and shrieked like a girl all the way home!  That is WAY ahead of any other performance and a massive bucket list target. Sub 17.... ahhhhh feels good!

Chester Half Marathon on Sunday!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Superb Stevie.  Let's hope for a pb on Sunday too.. Might be worth mentioning that pb tonight was in the rain too

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well done SS, it looks like the solid block of training you've put in has paid off. 2 pbs in 3 days now, no pressureimage

Hard luck Dean, I'm sure the summer will eventually turn out a good one with the sessions you've put in.

I was due to do a 5k on wed but felt like crap mon-tues. Had Monday off and then headed out on Tuesday but I was running at 7.30 pace and blowing out of my arse so headed home. Think I managed 1.5 mile or something. Daughter has been ill so a lack if sleep and 80 mile weeks probably took it's toll.

Went for a hard run on Thursday up and down the local 1800ft hill. Suffering with a slight case of Doms now with a 10.5 mile leg of an off road relay to run tomorrow. Also entered a 5k on wed.

Flights and hotel booked for Dublin marathon too. Eck!!!
  • Options

Briliant SS! Well done! Dean - bad luck.

Hope tomorrow goes well Matt.

Yesterday was first day off since the day before Shinfield. 15km inc Bracknell parkrun today. Paced daughter to a new PB and that's her 10th adult parkrun. She claims she will stop now.