Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think that rest day is definitely the right move Dean!

As for doing half your weeks mileage in one hit, more scary thing is that means I'll probably be running for three times as long as you with the difference in our speed image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Me and Dean have earned our F-OFF this week, good and proper.

Not a good idea week after week but I feel I've really pushed on. I'll do a 40min 10K and snap both hamstrings on Sunday now!! image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

To use an analogy as regards a successful training plan pattern, imagine how someone lines up to do a long jump.

They mark out a suitable distance for a run up. Pause to gather themselves, accelerate to full speed and then smash! hit the board...done!

Then repeat.

So if a distance running plan looked the same, you would have a period of easy stuff, a recovery period, and then a relatively sudden overload. Then another rest/easy.

Another way of looking at it is, if grinding out the same effort and distance each week is a hope to improvement. Why doesn't the long jumper take a run up of over a mile?

That's why both Dean and Ss's set of sessions back to back will work. But it has to be a short sudden phase. The shock that the system needs to stimulate the adaptive response.

Right then.

The dawn chorus has started. Back to bed. Again!

🙂

• Done it again - one day off the PC and i'm lagging! Sorry if I miss anyone..

Dachs - brill reps, get down to Watford on the 29/7 for a 3k SHOWDOWN...Low 8.50's by that time yeah? image (not joking!!) well thats what i'm hoping for, 71's?

Interesting 1500 Dean - 61 first lap for an experienced track man? LOL Great report as ever!

Andrew - oof. Not great! hope you mend quick.

I was off work yesterday as had my kid's school sports day to watch! Did a 3 mile warm up and 20 x 200's in the boneshaker Tempo's (adiprene old skool), 30 secs recovery, averaged 35's in the nagging, f**king, onmipresent wind. Then the beanbag on head, run and throw it in hoop later. Strike rate a poor 2/5.

Greensand Ridge relay tommorrow..more of that later

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if you chaps are feeling fresh in between such sessions, then why not!

One time I learnt my lesson, was when M gave me a bit of a rare freebie, so i foolishly went to the old club, and took part in some random distance random pace stuff. I hit it so hard it took about 3 days to recover. No set session in 5 years of this thread has been anywhere near that level of damage!

Another leaving do last night, but was ok as I knew today's session was on the short and sharp side, as no-one wants to be doing long tempos after a late night (by my standards)

5x600 at HM, Tempo, 10k, 5k, 3k. "Full recovery", which I decided didn't need to be more than 90secs. 

• HM       2.03   (aim  1.26 lap, 2.09)
    • Tempo  2.04   (aim   1.24 lap, 2.06)
    • 10k      1.58   (aim   1.22 lap, 2.03)
    • 5k        1.56   (aim   1.20 lap, 2.00)
    • 3k        1.51   (aim   1.15 lap, 1.52)

felt a tasty but short workout. 600s compared to miles and 2ks feel super short, even into bits of wind! Nicely on track to beat the aim each rep, obviously by way too much on the HMP rep. Good to see the 5k/10k come out well under too, as the "aim" pace was bottom end of zone...so probably came out top end after all.

Just for the record....slight correction on Tuesday's sessions, as i'd ridiculously forgotten that 100th of a second have, erm...100 to each second, and not 60...so i wrongly slowed them...thought at the time i was surprised to only have narrowly beaten top end of the zone 5.42 for 2 reps! now it makes sense...they were tastier!

minor differences...but it's all about those small gainz image

Stevie G wrote (see)

5x1mile reps for me at LT today off 60secs.

Having done 4x5laps at 10k off 2:30, I quite fancied the one less lap per rep at a slower pace, but was aware the extra rep, and much shorter recovery still made it a tasty one.

LT/Tempo zone is 5.38-5.42, 10mile pb pace having been 5.42 a couple of years ago.

Went pretty spot on 

1. 5:37:16     actually   5:36:36
    2. 5:41:32     actually   5:39:32
    3. 5:41:15     actually   5:39:94
    4. 5:39:50     actually  5:38:70
    5. 5:38:50     actually  5:37:70

I tend to clock each 400 rep as we're going, and the whole thing averaged nicely in the 1:24:xx 

• Dachs - http://www.jersey2015.com very lucky to be a part of this through the IOW, qualified last year with my Eastleigh 10km time

HM on Sunday 28th then 10km track on the Friday (will be debut track 10km) don't even have spikes lol

Going to be great fun watching all the other sports and events in between though!

Dean and SG another round of quality sessions. Good running in the wind SC but 2/5 doesn't cut it for dad points there at sports day image

AG - hope the shoulder clears / heals quickly!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • This thread is moving fast at the moment.

AG - commiserations. I've also had a trashed AC joint. Let's hope yours is a minor grade and recovers well. Make sure you get some very very good physio if you want to maintain the swimming. My shoulder is still crunchy and tends to lock up after too many lengths in the pool.

Nice LSR Bus. I've had similar issues with shooters locally; and had a few runs where I thought it was raining and turned out to be spent shot falling from the sky.

More reps SS? Madness! Dean, definitely earning a day off.

Hitting the paces well there SG, even after your all-nighter image

Enjoy the island games Scott.

SC - are 20x200s a staple pre-requisite for the beanbag race, or was it something new to try this year? image

Impressed by the early doors Ric. I was out on the bike by 0520 this morning for a couple of hours about Windsor great park. Managed to transit Ascot at that time without any issues.
    Last night was a 10mi TT (bike) and had the misfortune to get stuck behind a pikey pony and trap. No-one else got stuck, no-one else saw it. Phantom-slowness.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You sure you didn't imagine it IC? If they were real Pikey's they would have been going faster than you were!

• I would like to point out that the beanbag race was more to do with involving hand/eye co-ordination, not legs..the former I am sadly lacking in. Yes Iron - need to change the routine next year. AND my mates were dissapointed with the lack of MILF pictures too...what do they expect me to do? Jees image

Greensand ridge relay tomorrow - 33 miles from Leighton Buzz to Northill nr Bedford, 6 legs, i'm doing 9 from Woburn to Millbrook. Nice leg across the front of the Abbey, but a bit lumpy..and slidy in my flats if it rains. Ends up with a BBQ at a pub, next to a church. Everyone stood against the church with a pint, real Englisg scene...really looking forward to it, a bit of 'fun' as compared to the last few weeks!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

AG -sorry in my rush to waffle i missed your misfortune. Hope you recover as quick as you do from the hamstring tears!

Scott, well done. Will have to meet up when I next do a south coast race, be it Victory/GSR/Eastleigh/Chichester etc

Finally replaced my Adizero Adios 2... even if it took 30mins trawling the net to find them, having been discontinued ages back! £50, and free delivery was pretty tasty, M and M Direct who i'd never heard of in terms of running shoes before. But pretty rapid delivery
    Quite a tasty luminous blue. Nothing is ever going to match the glorious gold versions, but better than the purple and blue and red of before.
    Wearing them in at work mufti, so i can race in them Tuesday!

• Thanks IC - nice getting out early and for 2 hours or more! I'm tempted by GSR for sure SG so further down the line will see what we are all upto. Is Gosport one you may do too?

Watford is still on the cards for the thread bust up
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scott, me and Phil are doing Watford 1st July. I think Stevie said he's doing July 29th, and maybe bringing Dean with him? Some of us might weasel along to that one too if possible.

Dean, i think also mentioned a BMC mile or something? Not sure what date that is.

I knew I was missing an obvious south coast one, so yeah add Gosport to that list of 4!

However in terms of halfs I have to make sure I don't overload. Have done 25, but never more than 3 in a year. Am on 2 done and Wycombe to come in July as it is!

And then I'm weighing up all sorts of stuff. Past challenges, Marlow and Burnham Beeches, local fast one Maidenhead, bit of a drive fast one Gosport. Even sillier fast one GER!
    I'd imagine 5 in a year is my max....so will pick 2 from the above probably!

Burnham Beeches is probably the one I'd most struggle to justify, being in always hot August, undulating course, the kind of standard I'd probably be competing for top 10 etc! But for old times sake reasons would be nice.

• Probably only have one shot at Watford which is the end of August but I've now seen my rota and I have to work and little chance to swap with other people on holiday so may have to travel for a fast road or track 5km.. Happy to do so if I have a proper 6-8 weeks targeted build up but won't rush it

Otherwise then I'll be hopefully building back up the miles heading to XC season thinking about Gosport and GSR. Only ever done one half! I'm not sure if I'll end up running shorter stuff - will all be considered after these next few races and how the training goes and what my legs produce.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

rotas must be hard! It's where I'm pretty spoilt, Monday -Friday only, and pretty easy to get the vast majority of the year off, with short notice.

Bar a very very intense 4-5 week period twice a year, where I can't even get my own birthday off if it's a weekday!

But all in, pretty decent, especially as I get to set a timeline that affects about 10 internal departements....with the priority making sure I leave myself a good Christmas break image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hope the weather holds (held!) for the relay today Simon.

Decided not to race tomorrow so the kids can bring me breakfast in bed! Parkrun this morning instead. Legs still heavy from Thursday evening hilly long run meant a pretty mediocre 18:22 and 4th today. More worryingly, my back is really quite sore and on the other side from the usual one, with no obvious trigger.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

except for the parkrun, long fast hilly run, and those back to back races recently? image

Just kidding, am sure it'll pass pretty soon.

Will be rivalling you for a lazy day tomorrow...weekend's running done, just a 10 today, Marlow route, 7.02 pace Nothing tomorrow.

String of races coming up.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Guildford parkrun for me today and no chance of a win here as a certain Phil Wicks pitched up and won it be about 2.5 minutes with a time only a few seconds over 15! Highly impressive on an undulating course which is one of the hardest I've done. Happy with 18'55 myself even though that only got me 11th (well dead heat 10th,but let the teenager who joined me on the line have the position as he kindly offered it to me first!). 

Hope you back improves soon Bus, no bad thing to have a day off tomorrow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good parkruns Bus & Pete. 

No parkrun for me, so any pr is good right now.

Yesterday my knee decided it wasn't ready to accommodate such antics, and, being an awkward sod, it didn't reveal it's intentions until the next day.

A bit annoying since the session revealed pretty much nothing amiss.

I went for a jog with the lad who was clearly able to move better than I could. 9:30 one legged miling, great! 

Much better today. Hardly feel anything.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh, and I've put back on 10lb's in weight since the winter. That'll help. Not!

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus and ric - Hope the back and knee heal quickly 

pete - v galant of you to give 10th spot over to that lad.

I had hoped I would get into the bmc Watford 1500 Grand Prix next week but found out I have not been accepted as the numbers are high and I am too slow. image  Which fair enough really as they are turning away lads with 3.55.   Not sure when I can get to Watford for the opens.  As they often the same week as Trafford which is similar in quality.  I expect it will late August/sept for a pb chaser.

20 min tempo for me today, did it on the track for a change but whilst it's a good idea so you can keep an eye on the lap splits it was also a pain as the wind meant it was hard work every other 200!  15 laps dispatched, was getting dizzy but the last 10 mins passed quickly.  Ave 5.24 pace.  Which will do.

• Good park running today!

I got round in 18:17 as first finisher.

Nice tempo Dean and well done JonnyD U23 EA champ but closing last lap in 56- behave!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work Dean - sounds mind numbing though!

Speedy recovery for the knee Ric. How on earth have you put on 10lbs with all those 75M weeks though?? Deep fried lard sarnies?

Pete - very magnanimous - glad to hear the youngsters of today still have some manners though image

Now, now SG - it's not asking too much to do a LSR and a parkrun in the same week is it? image. The LSR was long and hilly, but definitely NOT fast!

Back feels a lot better now having done lots of targeted easy movement, hot bath and ibuprofen. Most likely a touch of sciatica, possibly made worse by tight hamstrings. The plan for tomorrow is not a day off, but just an easy run at some point rather than a race - assuming the back is up to it.  Besides, I need at least 2.6 for a nice round 50 image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Very fine tempo there Dean, particularly in the wind. Not like you to do a tempo!

Good 600s SG, nippy last one.

Solid parkruns Bus and Pete.

I ran a leg of the South Downs Marathon Relay today. Trail, and hills a-plenty. Not the sort of thing I'd usually put myself in for, but since taking on the club captaincy I need to do the odd thing like this. We've won it twice in recent years, so the expectation was another glorious victory.

My leg is the 4th and final one, just a smidge over 6 miles. Word from the marshals etc as we stand waiting is that our team handed from 2nd to 3rd with a couple of minutes lead, so I'm hoping to be able to cruise the last leg and hold 1st. But it looks like some of the other teams put their star guys on Leg 3, as a guy in a blue vest comes rampaging into the handover at some pace. Then another guy, this time in black. About 4 minutes after the leader comes a Stubbington guy, then our guy 30-50 seconds behind, who does not look happy.

So my planned conservative start is out of the window, cos I want to take at least one of these positions back. The first half mile is downhill with loose, rutted stuff, and rogue tree roots, and I'm bombing down but needing to concentrate on the ground to avoid turning my ankle. At the bottom of the hill, it changes into straighter tracks and I can see Stubbington ahead, and I'm closing. Suddenly, a load of runners are coming from the left to my surprise - who the F are these guys? Ah, half marathon runners! Among the crowd, I lose sight of the Stubby guy, and just put my head down and weave through. Soon he's back in sight, and I go past him by about 2 miles into 3rd.

Now it's continuous undulations, but on a decent road surface, and 2nd place, of the blue vests is up ahead. Past him and into 2nd, and I'm wondering how far ahead the leader can be. Can I still get an unlikely win for the team? About 4.5 miles ish, the leader is in view and I'm making up ground fast. The route turns off the main trail and up a steep hill and it takes the wind out of me, and I realise I'm no worse off walking up. Start walking, and the leader is running, but it's barely faster. This gives me an advantage at the top of the hill, and I'm straight past into the lead. Yay!

From here, the route is a good run-in, and I bring it home for the team win. About 6.1 miles in 34:50ish, so around 5:43 pace, which I'm more than happy with on that kind of terrain. Decent morning's work, but maybe a bit tougher than I was hoping for.

• Brilliant Dachs! Top bombing
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Dachs, I can imagine the blue vest guy was less than pleased at his last leg guy losing what sounds like a 6min lead over your team over 6miles!! That's a huge margin to overturn!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I may have overestimated the scale of the lead they had. We will see on the official results.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Brilliant Dachs.

Those relay leads appear to unsurmountable to begin with until you discover you're a good minute per mile faster than those you're chasing.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Excellent dachs

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, don't check the results. Just go on gut feel.

Go 10mins. image

Sounds proper relay action.That's what you want.

I did  Windsor relay a couple of years ago, where I basically started about 100metres behind a guy, and ....ended 100metres behind a guy. Having also lost us a place right near the end.

That's less good.

• Nice one Dachs!

I hope you both get better Bus and Ric. Good parkrunning Scott, Pete and Bus.

I had the aim of an easy bimble about parkrun but needed to get back to scan, so ran by feel and comfortably strong. Nothing impressive but a nice constant build and hence a negative split. Forgot to scan my own barcode!

Dean - shame about the race entry. Better luck next time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Iron

Cracking run (and report) Dachs! Not the sort of thing you'd usually put yourself in for indeed, but definitely one that will stick in your running memory in the future...