Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Ale - Yep, full of whippersnappers as per usual! Cheers Dean - I think your modestly is rubbing off on my 'Mr No.2 in the v40 GB rankings' image. So any plans on how we are going to overhaul Mr Whiteman? only 16 seconds to try and haul back for me...

Southern Vets league tonight at Perivale, we'll see how much my Egyptian mate has improved since last month! Hoping that the 800 doesn't start early so that I can get some strides done this time. Sub 2.10 is the minimum requirement, went through 800 in 2.13 at the weekend so 'should' be able to do it OK. Actually might not be that windy for a change...

Edit - Dachs. Cheers - My best last place was my 2.02.4 800 PB, which isn't on PO10 or some reason in a Jubilleee Cup match at Shaftesbury Barnet. Dave Bedford was watching - must have spurred me on!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon - at least the wind will have dropped for your 800.  Oh no, wait a minute, it's supposed to be 15mph winds in London  tonight.  Again.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon, good luck tonight.   how to overcome whiteman?...easy... run 59sec laps and speed up on the bell. 

PMJ - are you racing the oxford miles on saturday?  chance to bounce round your uni track

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good luck tonight Simon - fingers crossed for a 2 minute and 10 sec drop in the wind just at the right time!

Who stole my legs and replaced them with this pair from a 90 year old anyway?

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

simon, good luck tonight.   how to overcome whiteman?...easy... run 59sec laps and speed up on the bell. 

PMJ - are you racing the oxford miles on saturday?  chance to bounce round your uni track

Cambridge and not Oxford old boy, the light blues. Few days off in Washington DC with the boy sight seeing. I am racing at Solihull Sunday so Saturday is an easy parkrun to notch up #100.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ah, apologies for getting my blues mixed up...not sure where I got Oxford from unless it's where your daughter went and you mentioned picking her up

• Options

Daughter #2 is Cambridge, just got her position and she was 4th overall in her whole year so she is pretty chuffed. The boy fancies going to Oxford to study Computer Science and Philosophy. I think there are a few dark blues on the thread who pop up from time to time.

• Options
    Evening all, just a quick one as on train and crap reception. 800 felt pretty good, behind the Egyptian and let him go tbh. First lap was called 63 and didn't feel too bad on 2nd lap. Ended up with 2.08, so I reckon the 1st lap was more like 64. So that was possibly a bit better than I felt, but it's not getting any quicker without some faster training tbh.

Quick coffee, warm up/down them onto tbe 3. No Egyptian! Got stuck mid pack and 1st lap was 77 I think. Got them back on 75's and just tried to knock them down a bit. It was a bit breezy and clammy and felt harder than the last match. So managed 9.15 in the end and won it by about 100m. Good work out but did feel hard. Then bloody 8 x 200 strides to finish! This schedule lark is knackering...

I'm going to watch the 5000m at Oxford on Saturday. Handily meeting my mate for a few beers and dragging him over. He'll be looking for running skirt no doubt!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Trip into London tonight for the 5k in Battersea Park, my one and only shot at a road 5k PB this year. Training has been going pretty well, so hopes were high when I pencilled this one in. However, once again the twatting wind was making its presence felt.

This afternoon at work things didn't feel too brilliant, but I've felt like that before and gone on to have a stormer, so didn't read too much into it. But on the warm up I was breathing harder than I thought I ought to be, and this gave me some concerns.

From the start, a likely looking brown vested youngster shot off like a blue arsed fly (or maybe a brown arsed fly), followed by a tall Serpie. They opened up a gap and I settled in as first of the rest. First km in 3:03 - a little tasty. However I'm already feeling rougher at this point than I've felt at the end of similarly paced km reps, which doesn't bode well. Second km is into the wind and I'm really struggling to keep a decent pace going, with a 3:12, which is not much quicker than 10k pace. Really struggling now, and as I go past the finish at the end of the first lap, I feel very close to canning it and getting my bag. But I know from my teenage running years that if I quit once for no good reason, i will keep doing it, so keep on going.

3k in 9:25, a good 10 seconds down on where I wanted to be now, and not feeling good. I see the Serpie up ahead. For some reason he's hugging the right hand side of the road on a anticlockwise oval. Coming up to the left turn, the marshal is frantically beckoning him left, and even steps virtually into his path, but he sidesteps him and keeps going further into the park. Eh? I have gained a place without having done anything, which gives me a psychological boost at least. But now I'm back into the wind, boo. My addled brain is making mental calculations as I approach 4k, and I believe I'm now on for a low 16 at best. Not happy. Back round the last corner, and, ah yes, here come the inevitable footsteps of the sprint finisher who will leave me for dead. But I can see the finish now and my watch says 15:11, maybe there is a decent time here. Highgate bloke comes shooting past, try to respond but as usual I have no finish whatsoever, and end up 3rd in 15:49.

Pretty disappointed to be honest, really felt like I had something 20 seconds faster in me, training and recent races would have indicated that. Maybe things weren't right, maybe I do have something faster in me, or maybe I've just misjudged my fitness.

Mind you, the guy who beat me by a second has run 15:33 on the track this year, and beat me by a bigger margin at watford.

Anyway, tonight I have learned:

1. I am tired of being the fall guy for other people's sprint finish.
    2. There are far too many exceedingly attractive joggers in London, it is deeply distracting and totally unnecessary. I think it is incumbent on every runner to be a sweaty grimacing mess, not making the rest of us appear like misshapen swamp monsters by virtue of their beauty.
    3. I can eat a large Big Tasty with Bacon Meal in 12 minutes.
    4. People have no sympathy with people who moan about a sub 16 5k.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon - a good nights racing.  I'm racing at Oxford though didn't know there was a 5000 on?

dachs -  image

• Options
    Dachs - love the report. Making me chuckle in bed! 15:49 is not a bad time at all, given how you felt and the perhaps slightly negative outlook that's worth those 20s and backed up back the guy who beat you by 1 second.

I hope there's another opportunity for you to run 15:30
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Great Stuff Dachs - we would have a good battle in a 5k at the moment. That time not feeling that great is a really good time, with a bit of breeze. Sympathise regarding the women - SW London isnt it...actually Clapham Common is the epicenter image. Good report and a tall Serpie beat me at Eltham and did 15.20 odd - Franklin?

Dean - Yes, interrupting a social/pub crawl to watch the 5000m. BMC at Iffley Rd. Where are you running??

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - what are you running at Oxford?  The 5000 is the BMC Grand Prix, entry standard 14:50.  I tried to get into it - a local guy I know got into it last year with very similar PBs to me at the time (albeit he ran 15:07 on the day!), and he says there were people there in the 16s, so he encouraged me to at least give it a go.  I haven't heard back, and am assuming no news is bad news.  However, I will still come along, with kids in tow, and have a bash at a mile.  Scott, that probably answers your question as well - there are a few other possibles for 5000 on the track, but they all involve a highly tricky post-work jaunt into SE London.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon / dachs -  im racing the mile at iffley.  i have been accepted into the BMC races but not sure which one yet.  i dont think the the start lists have been published yet so Dachs you might have a spot in the 5000.   My coach got an email confirming on sunday.

Simon get plenty of beers down you and shout loud on my 3rd lap to get my trotters going again image

in other news my GB kit is ordered and on its way to me for the worlds.  So thats travel, hotel and kit all sorted....just got to find my form now image

• Options

Scott - getting down to Eltham is generally OK (Kidbrooke BR) their 5000m races are good - FREE WATER! Don't get that at Watford image. Register through the BMC site.

So the miles are on about 3.45 then? I'm getting to Oxford about 1 ish, so will have had a couple by then. But 'No hangovers 'til Berlin' remember....

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Just got an e-mail, I didn't make the cut, which is fair enough as I'm way off the standard.  Bit of a long shot really.

So I will get an entry for the open miles.  They start at 1:30, and the BMC GP starts at 3:30, so Dean will be racing later on with the big boys.  Hopefully our paths will cross at some point.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good racing chaps. Dachs - I wish I was anywhere near as crap as you image. Report also made me laugh!

Simon - bit of an assumption there about women runners. Being fully indoctrinated within a PC environment, Dachs was very careful not to specify what sex the good looking London runners are image

Busy at work today, and pissing down, so using Sunday's half as an excuse to have an extra rest day today....

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Still a solid run there Dachs. I don't think a full day at work helps with evening races either. It looks like we're going to have to get used to the wind from here on in!

I'm embarrassed to post on the same forum as you Simon. You must've done more races this year than I've done in 3. I really need to get my arse in gear!

I'd echo Dachs comments about the capitals' female runners. They're a step up from what I see round my way! I was down London a week or so ago and a decent walk round certainly opened my eyes!

Whilst there i did Pymmes parkrun and was shocked with its 30 odd runners. Burnley regularly breaks 200. It was a decent course in all fairness and my 16.30 was only 17 secs down on the course record. A few pints the night before didn't help.

Bumped into Chris Eubank too around Mayfair.
  • Options

Matt. It's being old and getting them in for as long as the body makes it possible! My mate Pete from LBAC is from Burnley and does that parkrun when he's back up there. 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Small world! Haha. What's his surname?
  • Options

Mackrell. Good marathon runner - did 2.38 in London - one of the Paula groupies on the TV coverage with his mate Dan from MK. Advising me on what to expect supporting a Premier league whipping boy!

God can this bloody weather get any more annoying? Fine rain all the way around Regents pk this morning. Can we swap our summer for a Perth WA winter? 15-19 and sunnny!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds a bit fishy.....

I've been soaked on all 5 of my journeys to work and back so far this week, despite the BBC telling me it's dry image. Too humid to wear a coat on the bike as well.

On the plus side, I ran this morning and the legs were OK (ish!)

• Options

Dean Your racing in a special Masters Mile at Iffley I think been put on specially!

• Options

Oh Bus - bit obvious that one mate image. I agree with the weather, you have to dress for the temperature tbh.

Saturday is going to be a laugh. Now my HHH team manager is going to be there too. I arrive in Oxford 1.15, so will have had 2/3 by the time I arrive. Apparently the Sports centre bit has a bar in it. Perhaps we can get some singing going in the stands..

So Dean, anything over 4.40 will get a round of 'What the f**king hell was that' image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob - i havent seen the start lists yet, where have you seen them?

was hoping to get into a faster race and get dragged round. 

• Options
    Someone posted it on the IWOAAR FB page
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm loving the idea of Dean having his own Crazy Gang image

(the more excruciating and obvious the pun, the better as far as I'm concerned Simon!)

• Options

I'll try and keep the gang under control (I think there's 3 of us). I'll be educating them in the finer points of running, I think they'll be looking for LIL's (Ladies in Lycra). Yes Bus - Had noticed the theme with the jokes!

Luton track tonight, 12 x 400 I think. Upped the mileage with the schedule - did about 75 last week, feel trimmer. Did 12 miles steady to and from work both Tuesday and yesterday, not feeling overly tired tho, legs feel OK.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good stuff Simon.

Not sure yet whether I'll be able to stay and watch any of the BMC races on Saturday, so may end up missing the excitement.

Track last night for 3 x 1 mile at 5K pace, then (in view of trying to improve my terrible kick) 3 x 200 all out.  Tough.

• Options

Sensible session mate. I don't know whether I have a decent kick or not tbh..drfinitely not on saturday anyway!

I'll probably only be at Oxford for 30 mins for so I would have thought, just popping in sort of thing.