Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon, I've never seen you unleash your kick, but I can still guarantee that it is good compared to mine.  I could get outkicked by Dame Vera Lynn.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

still havent seen the start lists for the BMC. 

Dachs - a good session to work on a kick is reps  of 400 at 1500m pace, 20sec recovery then 200m flat out. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

A 200 after each rep or at the end of the session?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

after each rep.   after the 400m, 20secs recovery gets your breath back...just ..then kick for 200m

i would probably get a session like 2*2*(400 (20s) 200m) thats a 1500m type session.  there has to be a marked increase in pace on the 200 though.  So if im doing the 400 in 65secs the 200m has to be 30 or better.  if 200m is a bit tasty try 150 and get used to them and then move up.

you could change it for a 5k type session and do 6* (800 (20sec) 200m)

this type of session was stolen from a loughborough uni coach

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

One of our club's double Olympians (1500) used to sharpen by:

either 2 or 3 x 600, then 15 seconds, then 200,

or  2 or 3 x 500, then 15 seconds, then 300.

Seven minutes recovery between reps, if my memory serves me right. He tended to use the former when running 800s (1:45) and the latter for 1500/mile (3:34/3:53). 

Similar to Dean's but obviously at a higher level, and as Dean points out, this sort of session takes some getting used to. Done at close to maximum intensity.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, I've just seen a startlist for the mile with you in my heat. Honoured though I would be to trail in 15 seconds behind you, slumming it with the likes of me can't be what you intended?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Is that in the open race or bmc.  As I entered both just in case?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It's the open race. Ah, hadn't realised you'd entered both, you'll be fine then.

• Options
    Oh noooo. I hope I catch one of you running at least. The open ones are about 1.30 yes?? Dachs, don't worry about my kick, my face trying to run even sub 73 half would make up for thatimage

Tonight's track was 12x 400, 3 sets of 4 with 80 secs recovery between reps and 2 mins between sets. Target was 65-67's. They went 67,66,66,65/67,66,67,65/inevitable poo stop/67,65,65,63. Bit breezy down the back straight but par for the course at the moment.
  • Options

Sorry to dampen tales of fast miles and track reps with a plodding 10@7:46/mi. It was the last night of Guides (actually Rangers) for daughter #3 before she sets of to university next year and they go out to a local camp-site on the Chilterns escarpment next to Chequers to have a BBQ with real fires. It is about a half hour drive so pointless driving for an hour to get back home during the hour and a half meeting so I park up and go for a run. Always a hard choice of route as the area is criss-crossed with good paths but no single long stretch to get into a good rhythm on. In the end settled for a section of the North Bucks Way and I learned two things:

1) Land-owners are very varied in what they consider acceptable maintenance of foot paths. Some are clear and good finger posts, others over grown and finger posts missing, stiles broken etc.

2) You can run downhill without noticing it but not uphill. Turns out I did 5 miles out generally downhill which I thought was actually fractionally uphill and then the 5 back showed how downhill the first 5 actually were.

• Options

Nice run PMJ.

I had a road trip to the Netherlands this week. Left early doors Tuesday and after almost zero traffic ended up near Amsterdam in time for meetings thence on to Nijmegen for more meetings the next day. Returned home via the French supermarkets to collect beer and wine. Again no traffic. Odd.

Easy run Tuesday evening then uninspiring 1km reps Wednesday morning. TT'd last night, which in terms of effort was the best TT effort this year, but one of my slowest times image I definitely noticed the uphills and the change from the usual wind direction.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

A very tidy session Simon.

start list is up, I'm off at 5.01pm.  Men's a race is the a one before with whiteman pacing them through 800 in 1.57 (as a warm down from racing in the 800 a race). 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There are some nice routes around there Philip, but you are right about the overgrown paths! Not helped by ROW budgets being slashed to virtually nothing.

Iron - funny you should say that about traffic across the channel. My daughter came back from Barcelona on a coach across France yesterday and she arrived back two hours earlier than estimated!

7.5M xc at a snails pace for me yesterday and a double today. Legs feel even more dead! Day off tomorrow....

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sounds a good run PMJ.

Good week of workouts Iron.

Dean, I'm at 2:10 pm, so ages before you.  Unless you're arriving in Oxford super-early, looks like our paths may not cross, which is a shame.  I had wanted to hang around and watch the BMC stuff, but I need to be at my parents by around 5-ish.

• Options

Barcelona is a hell of a trip!

There is a path near here that is always overgrown in summer; stingers up to nipple height. I tried to creep through it once but realised it had to be an arms up and run effort. Ouch.

Cheers Dachs. It is always nice to support others, but hanging around to watch others often stretches the goodwill of families. Race well both of you.

• Options

PMJ - Noticed those slight changes before. Done stretches that seem hard work albeit flat - then realise it's uphill. Hills always seem worse in a warm up rather than in the actual race.

Good little trip Iron!

Dean  -I'll aim for 5 ish then. Prob at least 4/5 pints down by then! Hopefully will try and catch the 5000 womens also after as there's a HHH girl I know running

I think I would have just been able to sneak in the 5000m C race, Dan Robinson has done a similar time and he got in, had my fill of those now though image. Bristow and Greenwood should have a decent battle for the V40 honours.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Blimey, it's all happening in Oxford!  Good luck guys.  Even if I'd been good enough to run (probably not by the sounds of it) I'll be far too busy attempting my next hard long run tomorrow (24M w/ 7 @ 6:20 and 7 @ 6:00 is the plan) so I'll probably be asleep for the rest of the day while you're all bombing round.  Be interested to see what Greenwood does too, he seems up for it.

In case anyone missed it, I managed to scrape another pb on Wednesday evening, 3rd in the Brighton Phoenix 10k in 32:46 (32:45 chip!)  McMillan equates this exactly with my 5,000m pb of 15:46, so looks like I'm back in top form.  Next Sunday's BMAF 5,000m race could be a cracker; of a dozen V40 entries, 7 are sub-16 with the quickest pb being 15:36.  So I could be up for some bling and there should be a good race to drag us round in quick time.  No hurricanes forecast this year, as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

no worries dachs.  im setting off with plenty of time so might catch your race if traffic goes my way.  there is a youngster who has a sub 4 1500m in your race...my advice is to let him go image

Simon - catch you then...if i pb there is a pint in it for you!  5000 looks like some good races.

PP - congrats on your PB and thats some tasty form.  i have seen the entry list for 5000 at the bmaf and there is defn a shot at something shiney.   hopefully will be there to shout you round!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean.  I see you're down for the 800/1500, and looks like some good competition for the 800 especially.  Are you racing on the Sunday?  (Is there a timetable yet??)

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

its my sons birthday on the sunday so it is highly unlikely. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Dean, think I would have no choice but to let him go...

Saw your 10k PP, impressive stuff indeed, looks like the form is reemerging as the marathon approacheth. Looking forward to a burn up at Ladywell again, as long as I am invited again, and the Mrs gives me permission.

Shall we take wagers on Dean and my mile times?

Dean - 4:22

Me - 4:41

PC2 is in the race too...
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs I would dean take that... But to put it into context that would be the 3rd fastest of all time for a v40.image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    PP, great run in the 10k. A good starting point for your Berlin campaign.

Good luck Dean and Dachs on the track too. Did you see Mr Whitemans double 5k win during the week? I think he won the vets 5k in 15.4x had 15 mins rest then won the open 5k in 14.5x afterwards. Bit of mid season endurance training he called it image
  • Options
    You absolute tank Dean!

Followed the race via Twitter / Vinco - Literally just finished!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Wow!  Cheers Scott, didn't realise this was live streaming.  That was worth a rewind.  Fantastic run from Dean, what a finish!  image

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Dachs I would dean take that... But to put it into context that would be the 3rd fastest of all time for a v40.image

I see on twitter not quite 3rd fastest ever but ...  imageimageimage

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Well done Deano, whatever you ran. Wish I could have hung around to watch, sounds like it was a good one.
  • Options

Great day out today Did anyone see three reprobates with a carrier bag of beer stood near the 1500m start? and the bloke with the black polo shirt cheering Dean on..yes that was me...we decided to jump over the fence rather than pay £4..skinflints image

Great race Dean - good to meet you and Les, and like Phil I knew it wasn't a done deal at 300 to go like the commentator thought. Stayed a bit to cheer on Stacey, our HHH'er in the 5000m who got a PB too, must of been all the high quality support today!! Hope yours went ok Dachs..

Decent session this morning on my 400 yards jobbie, 8 x 800, which I think works out to 804.5 m or something, with 80 secs recovery. Apart from the first one at 2.33, kept the other 7 at 2.27ish on average.

Good set up for an afternoon viewing and drinking! long run tomorrow to Luton to watch the 10k

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Anyway, open mile race today. In the fastest of the open heats, before the fast boys start in the BMC races. 

Bit of a compromised warm up, as I had the kids with me and didn't want to leave them sitting on their own, and my youngest wasn't enjoying the gun, but managed a couple of miles with strides. 

Into the race, and there's some familiar faces, with PC2 and James B of Abingdon, who I've decided is going to be my rabbit, along with lots of eager youngsters. Gun goes, and I settle at the back of the pack to try to keep out of trouble, as there's lots of veering around and lane changing going on. Through the end of the first lap in 71, so bang on target (bearing in mind that's 409m), and start to pass a couple, still sticking close to James. One youngster in particular is chopping and changing position all over the place. Leaders are starting to pull ahead, and I'm in more of a second group with JB and this lad at 800 (well, 809) in 2:20.

As we come to the end of the back straight, I am at the back of the group of 3 when the youngster goes sprawling to the deck, and James pretty much goes with him. I skip to the outside, losing time, but come through unscathed, and now alone, with a lot of running still to do. To the bell in 3:31, I need a fast last lap. Can I do it? No. Push hard but the legs aren't giving me anything. 200 to go and James is suddenly there again. Can he recover from a fall and still beat me? Yes he can. Try to race him down the home straight, but it's the eternal story with my finish, and it's 4:42:xx. Glad at least James recovered for a decent time.

Hoped I could have broken 4:40, but never mind. Must have run a 4:23 1500, which would be a PB there too, even though I should be much quicker. Will keep trying. It's funny though that on Wednesday I was doing 3 x mile reps in 4:53-4:55, yet I can't go much quicker in a mile race. That's the lack of pure speed I suppose.

had to shoot off to Somerset straight afterwards - looked for Dean afterwards, but didn't expect to recognise him without the club vest on already, and didn't.

• Options
    Dachs that's a very very respectable time and I think everyone here bar Dean would be happy producing that! Think how long you've worked on distances over a mile (ie - 5km and up) few years? A few months or half a year or whatever is not going to be enough to run "super quick" so imo that's a quality effort. I did think you would run 4:39 though so sorry!

For what's it worth I had similar thoughts last year too though when I ran 15:52 going through first mile in 4:58 and some mile reps could be 4:55 ish and then "only" managing 4:48 - the lad who won ran 4:25 and don't think he's ran sub 16 5km (he does run them) so each to their own

I personally think utilising that 4:40 mile and those 4:5x reps you'll be stringing together a 5:00 m/m 10km in the not too distant future

Nice session SC
    Pain is weakness leaving the body