Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

SC - I've always said it's better to be very good at one thing than ok at everything. 

Still 11m? Are you serious? You could have done that in the long jump pit to save moving.

Worthing Standard distance tri for me today. This was supposed to be my target race but having messed up my shoulder the swim was going to be my downfall. The forecast was poor, the sea choppy and windy and the current pretty strong. I went into complete meltdown immediately, panicking and even got some patronising words of encouragement from the canoe guide person to keep going, I nearly didn't.

After being smashed about by the waves for nearly 40 minutes my race was over. A 67:xx bike and 36:xx run were probably good enough to be in contention for GB qualification if only I could swim.

Still I took my 2 yr old daughter out this evening and we ran for a bit she covered 400m at under 15mm. I think that's pretty rapid.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It blimmin is for a 2 yr old Andrew - impressive! Well done on the tri, damn shame a bout the swim.

Amazing stuff Matt - you are made from stronger stuff than the rest of us, that's for sure!

• Thanks for the comments on the Javelin - I actually think it was a no throw anyway! with proper coaching I think i could smash the 20m barrier image

Matt - Well done on the Thunder run - I was actually asked at training to run with the Luton lot, but, well it's a bit of a mission tbh. I will have to find out who went, I know Tom Mead was definitely in the team.

Just 12 x 200 strides for me tonight. Nice easy pre race stuff. Lovely..

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dean - Exciting race and pre-race report.  Great work again!

Simon - Admirable multi-eventing. I'm hoping my forgetful shot put a few years ago will be the extent of my effort for the club that doesn't involve just running round in circles. You could have someone's eye out with those things.

(Shameless C&P but it's good to recycle...)

British Masters'  5,000m champs for me yesterday.  After Thu/Fri off with cold I had a 4 mile test jog on Saturday, which told me that my legs were feeling very strong, but my respiratory system perhaps still not 100%.  On a very wet warm-up around the grounds of Alexander Stadium yesterday this was confirmed, but I wasn't coughing up anything too gunky, so I thought I could give it a go without doing any harm.

It was a joint V35/V40 race, but only 4 out of 16 in the V35 category, and 6 sub-16 runners in the V40s, so a tasty race in prospect. A pretty manic start, and I was back in about 7th/8th despite a too-quick 74s opening lap.  (Was aiming for 76 or so, to see whether somewhere between pb and sub-16 might be doable.) Still in same position after settling down for a sensible 1k in 3:11, but difficult to get into a rhythm because with a persistent rain falling there was also a breeze stiff enough to make the home straight noticeably slower than the back straight, and I spent the next few laps trading positions with a guy who seemed to enjoy the windier straight.  I was also aware that breathing felt less than ideal (in relation to how strong my legs were feeling) and that my cold was definitely still lingering.

By halfway, and following lots of wide bend running and a couple of heel clips (thanks), I was a little outside 16 mins pace, but we were closing on a group of two V40s, with another one slightly ahead, so I refocussed on racing for position even though I wasn't sure how many of the 3/4 (??) runners ahead of them were in my age group. Felt fairly strong at this point so made a move to drop my heel-clipper and caught the pair with around 3/4 laps to go.  Went straight past, and with 2.5 laps to go I'd clawed up to the next guy. Tried to do the same with him but he hung on all the way through to the bell, which I reached in 14:50, so sub-16 seemed very unlikely and I concentrated on trying to open a gap, since my sprint is non-existent.  Somewhere down the back straight his footsteps and breathing seemed die away very slightly, but I knew I had to press-on, and managed to find the final gurn-gear for the traditional eyes-half-open, teeth-gritting finish to hold him off.  A 72 final lap (3:04 km I think) for a time of 16:02.8, and efforts well rewarded, as it turned out I'd nabbed the V40 bronze.  image

I'm happy with that.  If favourable conditions ever present themselves and I'm 100% healthy I've definitely got another sub-16 and possibly even a pb in me.  The Southern League play-off final is on Saturday and I'm B-string scorer, then I'll have at least one more crack at our club champs.  More importantly I've finished my last few races strongly with a negative split, so it all bodes well for speed endurance going into final marathon prep.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

PP - congrats on the medal. bad conditions yesterday so to just miss out on sub 16 is still a decent run.  i know what you mean about not knowing who was a m35 or m40.  i struggled with that in my race but apparently the numbers that were below 100 were m35s and those in the 100s were m40s.  not sure if that is correct though.  probably comes a day late to be of any use to you anyway image

• Good stuff Phil - sounds a really good time in those conditions too, will have to have a look at the results. As regards the marathon - happy with the speed, but the endurance is going to need to be looked at quite urgently image. Only up to 15 miles so far...August IS mileage month.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Very quiet! How are you doing, SG?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • VERY quiet..biggest gap in postings I think since I've been on here. Building up to the 3000 tonight at Watford, seems the world and his wife are going to be there acording to facebook..EO'G kindly reminding me of his 8.52 last year too image

Hope the trains all OK now, sadly had to get a lift to Luton off the missus as there was a fatality at Leighton Buzzard station. Bit of a pain, but I suppose it's a better morning than that person had.....

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Simon - What's all this sprint racing you're playing at, when there's a marathon to train for?  Fair enough, I guess even the great Charlie Spedding said something about keeping in touch with your speed.  image Good luck this evening.

To be fair, I'm technically racing over ~5k distance three times in one week.  It's the next Assembly League (local club thingy) tomorrow, which I'll be treating as a tempo run before Saturday's Southern League play-off final and another attempt at sub-16/possible PB.

alehouse - Last I heard, SG was about to head out for a run with music blaring from his mobile. Have a word, Simon!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

PP: music blaring? Should be banned! Enjoy the Assembly League! Must do one some day, not least because I've been friends with Dennis who organises it since before most of you were born! Thursday trips to London are not very easy though!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

alehouse - Come along for the September one in Beckenham, I'll buy you a pint.  image  The final one's always my favourite, takes a good while to get through the prize presentation after the race, a great excuse for squeezing in one more pint of Harvey's.  image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tempted, PP...however I might be working! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Hope the 3000 went well Simon.

How's the resting going SG?
  • Cheers...so race report will be short and sweet..

Was in race 2 out of 3 as there were some folk looking for sub 8 in the last race! Decent get away and felt ok for the first 4 laps, spot on 71's. Then after that it got a bit messy as a group came up alongside us and there was a bit of bumping etc, sadly it slipped to 5.58 on 5 laps. With 2 to go I was in lane 3 so I thought 'oh sod it' and went round the outside of the big St. Albans guy and hit the front. Was in the lead at the bell at about 7.41, but a few came past on the last lap. I think the training helped me to keep it relatively together on the last lap. So the last lap was a 72 and I ended up with 8.53.55 and 4th place.

so a PB and pleased with that- left to get on with it untroubled on the inside I think I could have threatened 8.50, but hey that's racing! Onto Stevenage relays tomorrow. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice work on the pb, SC

• Cheers again. Still not gone to bed image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image good work Simon!!

Rather hectic week this week trying to juggle work with son, and consequently us, still not sleeping (though he is on the mend we think).

Have managed to drag myself out for a few runs despite this - 8+6 yesterday and 5 progression Monday - but lack of sleep is probably hindering recovery I think and legs are feeling shot as well as being generally tired. Oh well, it'll pass I guess, and then I'm off to the Alps in two weeks for some serious hill work image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

the big St. Albans guy

...aka Padams, whose mirror race report I just read on the sub-3 thread!  image  Brilliant run, Simon.  If I see you surging ahead at the start of Berlin, I'll let you go!

• Cheers matey - No i'll be very reticent and bricking it probably - the plan is the 19 min 5K way I think, nice and steady! See you saturday, think i'm doing 800 or 5000 or both I think. If its the 5k it will be for points not times I think! (hopefully B string!!)

Cheers Bus, jealous of an Alps trip in the summer!. Me and the missus did 3 days in Interlaken, then 3 days in Zurich and the Zveltklasse to finish the week off in 2008. Great little holiday..Hope your boy feels right again soon!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cool, see you Saturday.  Looking at our provisional team sheet, I'm down for the 5,000 (B string to James Connor) but could probably do with an extra long warm-up and cool-down away from the track, to avoid getting drafted in for the shot put, discus, high jump, pole vault or javelin!  image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great run Simon. Very quick!

Hope your son is on the mend Bus and have a top holiday in the Alps. I'm off to a caravan in Bridlington next week. image haha.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers chaps.

Yeah, but at least it is NEXT week Matt! I've got to wait 2 more weeks for mine! Good luck with the weather!

Another fairly turgid 7.7M xc today, but still nice to get out.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon  - great work on the pb.   Not sure if I'm going to get a chance to run a 3000 this yr.

• Cheers Dean

Phil - Sadly can't do saturday as I have done 3 BAL! typical - not as though i'm too good for SML is it eh..thems the rules I suppose. It would have been OK with 2 appearances, but they up it to 3 for the final.

Our LBAC team were second last night in the Stevenage road relays. I was first leg and did about 9 mins for the 3k lap. Came back first after just about reeling a Barnet kid who went off like a rocket, got revengee on the Bedford kid who pipped me by a second at Watford. There were a few of us that doubled up. Beer and chips after, all good image

• Quite few weeks for me. Congrats to Dean on National Champs gold, what about a nice photo of the medal?

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Back from hols now, has been quiet on here hasn't it, especially the last few days?Guess we are all in awe of Dean!

Did a parkrun in each of Devon and Cornwall to complete my 200 parkruns. Back in the 19's last 3 weeks (though 19.00 for a round result today!) after sub 18'30 a few weeks back and even 18'12 at Battersea 5k. Funny how form ebbs and flows without much rhyme or reason at times. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done on the 200 Pete. Yep, sometime no accounting for form - all a bit weird!

Where is everyone then?????

15M LSR for me today. Same route as the past couple of weeks, but a bit quicker. Still bloody slow though! Just don't seem to have any freshness in my legs of late and not sure why, as it's not like I'm hammering the miles or anything.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, its has gone a bit quiet. Maybe some reports are being saved.

15 miles for me also, at an average of 7:17, followed by 18 miles on the bike.

Three weeks back I averaged 7:28 and thought I was going fast enough then; it being 30 seconds per mile faster than before the injury.

The difference at the moment is I'm only running every other day, but faster when I do. Back cycling most days. Gets a bit testing when my lad suggests nearly 20 miles starting at after 7 pm. 

Weight now up nearly a stone from mid winter. 

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bus, maybe we need to mix it up more. Reverted to the bike myself today as legs seem like yours. Encouraging to do over 30m at over 17mph but wasn't too hilly. No idea where all the forumites are either!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 200 milestone and the progress over the weeks Pete. How do you find your parkrun times sit against your 5k times? Mine are still a way off what I'd expect to race a 5k in.

Nice long run Bus. I take it the LR was all off road?

At least your getting quicker Ric, I'm getting slower! image

I raced a 10 miler today but sandwiched into a long run. I'd had a bit of an ache in my Achilles the last couple of days so had a mile jog on it this morning and decided it was ok to give it a go. I did another 3.5 miles before the race and still felt ok so off i went. About an hours drive so all or nothing.

I was hoping to run 54.xx but I wasn't entirely sure of my pace as I never reset my watch before the start and the GPS kept losing signal and going haywire as quite a few parts of the course were under trees. 4 lads went off into the distance and after a couple of miles I'd pulled one back then it wasn't until 8 miles that I caught the lad in 3rd and managed to open a bit of a gap which I held to the finish. A quick cup of water then off for another 6.5 miles to bring up 21 for the day.

I ran 56.04 on the same course last year in strong winds, torrential rain and finished like I'd not been for a run. Thats why i then entered the half marathon where i ran 71mins. Today It was blowing hard and my legs were heavy over the last couple of miles. I'm hoping its due to the fell race 2 weeks back, no rest days and the adidas thunder run last Sunday where I ran 5x6 mile legs in 3.09

Probably pissed about far too much since Edinburgh in May which in all honesty pissed me off no end. Mojo went, absolutely zero speed work for as long as I can remember, even strides. Done some decent miles in that time but now hoping for a good 11-12 weeks til Dublin where I can put some focus towards a race.

Doing the BAC sessions as they appeal to me and I'll prob do a couple of halfs as MP efforts and a 20 mile race.

Just the small matter of a 4 day stag do in prague to negotiate 4 weeks out from the race.