Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Pleased to hear things on the up SG and nice to have some company inbwetween

Having a few easy weeks ticking over may seem boring but could be worth it.. Do you ever run to HR? You could have just been running into fatigue as you seem to be running the runs to pace from what I see or at least forcing them ....my brother had costacondritis* (not running related) but took him a long time to get over it

I've not looked at "current pace" on the watch for over 3 weeks now since running in Jersey and only keep HR between 70-75 % of max on all my runs with no sessions since mid June. Sometimes a bit boring grinding out steady runs every day but I've just topped up my mileage a bit gradually increasing (from 2 x 20mile weeks to expected 60 this week) and feel generally much better than when had a similar crappy spell 4/5 weeks ago. Granted some runs feel heavy but maybe missing a few hard days in a two week period will be ok

I heard someone once say that your body doesn't know what a week is. Can learn from that

Good racing Pete and AG

Good session Dean looking sharp best of luck and hope the heats went well!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Isn't Dean racing the heats next Wednesday?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just a quick one...my heats are next wednesday

a cheeky 200m session tonight then recovery into lyon.

oh and my gb kit has finally arrived.  tracksuit, vest, shorts and tshirt.  i will look the part at leastimage

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Sorry...wrong Wednesday! But still can't get on the results site any way!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good luck Dean. Work a bit mental at the moment, so curtailed the running a bit. Managed 8 x 800 on Tuesday night, averaged 2.25 on the slightly up route and 2.21 on the slightly down - 80 secs recovery.

Nothing else really apart from a long drive to Edinburgh tomorrow and a 20 miler sat am. Looking forward to having a look round the fringe, booked a cople of shows that I can take my lad to. Handily Bedford are at a womens BAL in Glasgow on the Sunday, so we are popping over there so the issus can do the 400 hurdles.

Bought some Adios Boost for Berlin - just a heads up that they are flogging them for £50 odd in Start Fitness at the moment if anyone interested..

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, welcome back SG. Just a while before the confidence returns.

Good races and luck for races all round.

Had a bit of a rough run out yesterday. Seemed to struggle averaging 6:50 minute mile pace for 3 miles with a top HR of only 163 bpm. Had a rest and tried to be a bit more relaxed, 6:02, then a 5:45 (downhill mainly). Suitably stuffed, the last mile was all stop/start but was 5:50. Peak rate 172bpm. It's low and I'm slow.

I sometimes wonder if I'm waiting to reach the next vets age group, 55 in November. Maybe I'll try a bit harder then. Perhaps.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta for the thoughts and kind words both in my brief time away, and on my return! Genuine, from those who took the trouble.

Ric, I didn't do too much running reading/talking etc when I was in the worst bits of the recovery, as just getting short easy runs off felt hard on both mind and body! However, I did read a nice RW mag bit on the Hillingdon 5. I realise I was lucky to sample it twice near the very end of its life, and it was special to me, as without a car I could only get to an exceptionally small amount of races back then. Basically stuff I could walk to, bus to, get a mate's relative to drive us to, or this one...a train ride.

Hourly train, I remember it now. A mate brought his surly moody girlfriend along, (who didn't even bother standing at the finish to see us in), and even though we stressed the importance of getting the HOURLY train, and how we might have to walk sharpish to get there post race, she wouldn't move, meaning a "terrific", 58minute wait at the barren station, knackered from the race effort, cursing her.

grr

Can tell I'm near a recovery now, as my first thought with the opportunity of a date with a hottie this weekend,who lives 40miles away is....what if this goes somewhere, will this fit the schedule image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think that first Hillingdon race, I realised the sheer folly of passing someone with half a mile to go, and saying "keep going mate", thinking it encouraging, but instead invoking a furious battle (up the hill at the end!), which neither of us came out of well.

• Looks like this thread hasn't changed much, normal suspects knocking out fantastic running and advice... With a few additional speed merchant's. ..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back son. you were right about Moysie...doesn't feel too long ago we were at the Victory 5 discussing that! Shame they've moved that race back to December, what an arse!

• All starts again this Saturday, surely this season can't be as bad as last year. .. If Moysie was able to spend like VDG it might have been a different story. .. Maybe not. .. Didn't realise that the race had moved to December, you would have to be very lucky to have decent conditions that time of year. .. Been a bit like yourself SG, when not training, I lose interest in all running things...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Apparently was always in December for yonks, and then they moved it forward. Then they bizarrely added a newbies race, that was further than the main one (pointless), and now moving it to a time that ask for weather problems/cross country clashes.

Add in Eastleigh moving the start time forward to a very tricky 9am, and Gosport pishing about with their route, and the south coast races are having a mare. And that's before worrying about being in the sort of shape to warrant such a long trip!

Last year wasn't too bad Bluey, was fairly low level expectations for United though. Won't get away with striving for 4th this year. And it is dam worrying how little £100m goes these days!

Still, at least I know my season tickets cover Rooney's wages for about 33seconds.

• Rooney will be back in two year's. . He looked so natural in blue last weekend. . There's two fast 10k's over this way, back end of year. . Swindon 10k, no where near Swindon, and Bromham 10k, which fills up very quick..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think he's got at least a 3year deal worth about 5 times a week your highest player.

Maybe the other side of a trip to USA.Dubai, when he's 35 years old, when even the likes of Everton are paying 400k a week.

• He's saving up to buy Everton. .. Once a blue, always a blue, it's in his blood. . There's not a thing he can do about it. . It'll be the ruin of him, ask bill kenwright. ..
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

So which parkrun will it be on Saturday, SG

Sale Sizzler tonight in 20:50, WAVA 77.67% so a decent improvement on May's LFoM of 22:14. When we made predictions at the end of 2014 I optimistically said 20:40...wonder if I can make that. Another month or so's training and then try to find the right race.

SC: wore a pair of Adios Boosts tonight. Really good (in the alehouse post race). Raced in Asics DS racers! Will you get to many Bournemouth of the Premiership games or will you be forced to watch them in the alehouse?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • We'll I'm still waiting for my away 'points' from last year to be updated and then I'll see what always I'll go for. Perhaps West Ham in a couple of weeks, but definitely City in October. Would have gone to Stoke but that's the Berlin weekend.

Mainly up north big grounds tbh. Everton, Sunderland, Geordies, west brom too I think, we'll see. Hopefully Glenn Murray will sign today too.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good stuff Alehouse at the sizzlers

glad youre on the mend and nothing serious SG

cant believe the footy season is back...utd live tomorrow lunch time.   Nice one...though unfortuntely must mean we are getting close to xc season againimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta Dean - roll on tomorrow.For one thing it means i can lock the work fantasy footy league down, and stop harranguing people, and collecting in tonnes of tenners.

Also looking forward to my 3/4 a year fish and chips at Harry Ramsdens...mmm.

Aley, nice sizzling. The idea of me doing a parkrun on route would be mental. I'd probably be north Birmingham or sneaking onto the M6 by 9am! Not sure my pal coming up would be best pleased

"oh we're just stopping off in Benefits Street (ch 4) park in Birm/Crewe/Stoke for a quick parkrun"

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

SG good to have you back on "your" thread and hear that you are progressing OK.

I've done both Hanley (Stoke) and Congleton parkruns as my sister lives between the two, and can vouch for the attractiveness of both, especially Congleton. So no excuses there as they're nothing like Benefits Street!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Oi! be careful stoke and congleton are in my neck of the woods.  Hanley is hilly and not fast but is a nice run around a duck pond etc...   Congelton is 3 laps of a very flat course.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

to be fair, it was just the Brum side of things i was remembering Benefits street from. The other 2 places were just other parkrun options. image

I did have a lovely drive through Crewe once when whatever the local M6 junction was down. The difference in time of 69mph on the motorway and 20 through packed Crewe roads was a bit worrying looking at the ETA though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Early morning trip to Battersea Park for the 10k for me today, left the house at 5.15! The bike ride through the back streets of London was fun, spotting all the supercars. Conditions for the race were ideal, cool, dry and almost no wind for once.

Unfortunately my legs didn't match the conditions and it ended up as a real struggle. First 5k in 18:05 was OK, but meant the sub 36 was way off. Still, I felt OK and only needed to do sub 6s for a sub 37, what could go wrong? My legs, that's what! I just couldn't keep the pace up, and even sub 6 proved just too much. I can't believe how from the 6th k on I just slowed right up and could do nothing about it with a 19:01 2nd 5k and a very disappointing 37.06 overall.

Slower than Staines on a much quicker course without the strong wind. Hey ho, my legs have been pretty shot for a couple of weeks now so it's not really surprising - it just confirms I need a break! Very early start and a long trip to confirm what I already knew, but there you go....

On the plus side, it was a nice morning out anyway and confirms to me that you'd be hard pressed to do better than one of these races (if you are on form that is!)

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Nearly went to do that one too Bus with the aim of being sub 38 but still felt a bit leggy after my 10k on Wednesday so took the easy option of a flat parkrun at Woking. 18.39 was pleasing after 3 recent times back into 19.xx territory.

I agree with you the course is super fast but I'm not convinced 8 am starts after a long journey to get there are conducive to pb's. Tried the 10k last November when I thought I was at my best and also disappointed and just got my usual sort of 10k time. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done on the parkrun Pete. Nice to be back in 18's.

You may have a point - I was up at 4.45! Mind you, I didn't feel tired as such (I've got used to lack of sleep over recent weeks image) just didn't have the legs.

The last one of the year starts at 8.30 and I could probably get away with a 6am start the way the train times fall, possibly later if I drove.

• 19:10 at parkrun: sub 19 was on the cards but it was a champs race and position was more important than pace and I tried to keep up early and paid later on, but finished where I should have been on paper so happy with that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, isn't Staines about a 9metre incline? Can anything bar a downhiller be much faster?

Good commitment to get out the door that early, my word.  But like Pete says, an 8am start, with such a mad wake up time (4.45?) cannot be what you want.
    At that time, why not just drive though? Not going to be much traffic. I did it in an hour on a bank holiday evening, so 6am or so has got to be much quieter!

good conditions and travel up and back to Manc today.7am setting off, 12.45game, back home just after 6. Not bad.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Can't drive without a car SG - Mrs has taken it to Bristol with the sprogs, hence the free weekend to bugger about in London! It did mean I had a very nice 17M of biking today spread over several trips though.

Staines is fast and vey flat, but Battersea is faster than Staines because there are no pavements, no kerbs to hop, almost no tight turns, no junctions to cross and today, no bleedin' headwind! There's also a good bunch of fast runners at the sharp end to run with. The only thing to slow you down is avoiding the Ben and Jerry's ice cream van, one turn where you have to watch a tiny bit of gravel on the corner and the little old lady with four dogs, one of which is on one of those 50ft invisible dog leads that she seemed to deliberately let her shit machine walk across the path of the runners. I'm afraid I let out a mild expletive at her image. Other than that, it is just like a 1.25M tarmac track...

As I said, wake up time wasn't an issue today - I've been getting woken up anytime after 2am for weeks now - just pretty shagged legs (although that itself could well be at least partly due to lack of sleep!). On a morning like this morning, it's not a big issue to get up early -that was the best part! Come with me for the October one....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Still a good effort there Bus. I actually thought for a second you had cycled all the way from Wycombe.

Phil and Pete. At least you toe the line for your parkruns. I keep intending to and then find something else to do.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, you're not normally trying to "perform" (oo-err) at 8am though.

But first things first before any even vague thoughts of racing, need to comple the recovery process. That means a  7.5/8 mile "Long" run to top off my 40mile week.

Works well after today's long trip.

If that goes well, I can push next week's mileage up a notch again, then think about speedwork again.