Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Juan Kerr stirred up interest also.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

How does a man who collects dead bird wings manage to find a wife?

God knows, or at least the members of the governing body in Chicago do. The guy I mentioned and his wife have spent the past 20 years denouncing the rest of the world as evil and ignoring Christmas.

Next time people like them come knocking on your door, run away screaming arma-geddon-out-of here.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse wrote (see)

Juan Kerr stirred up interest also.

not a million miles away from a player Wycombe had once.

John Kerr.

But alas, no funniness to be had from thatun.

Your name reminds me of a very brief period where I worked in a call centre type set up, which was so dull, that comedy names was all you had to keep you going.

Plenty of memorable calls to Mr Cock, Mr Bubraber, Mrs Fagg, and my favourite, Mrs Bint. But a lifetime of regrets that my pal didn't get through to a Mr Tosser, a call that would have been excruciatingly hard, with the 18 year old me gurning and giggling from half a metre away.

Spoke to Trevor Brooking on one call in the same job. Owned some plastics firm apparently.

And surprisingly, didn't want to do a phone interview with some gimp kid.

"naaaaa fannnks"

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I can still remember the worst call of all time, getting through to some irate guy who greeted me furiously with "PLUM", leading to me asking if he was calling me a Plum, to a couple of mins in working out that he was actually called Mr Plum, getting us off to a very awkward start...

cripes.

• I have not got a single clue what is being said on the thread right now and I can't follow or chime in image

AG - Cardiff HM ?.. Good luck

Anyone else receive an email regarding Eastleigh 10KM ? May seem a little random but I know SG yourself has mentioned the 9AM start a bit of a ball ache.. If people were really serious about smashing it as a target I could potentially put 2 of you up at my house or my Brothers which is within half hour... Early days...But I'll be running I hope! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • I once knew a secretary who worked for an electrical firm in Rotherham called Mycocks. She rather threw callers with her cheery opening of, "Mycocks Electrical". 

Not much running going on today? Day 426 of my current streak for those interested. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes, that's a generous offer Scotty, what a legend!

426 days aley! Wow. As Phil might say, that is seriously big pimping!

Any name with the word cock in isn't ideal is it. Hiscock is awful. Though I suppose hercock might be worse.

ps I did get 6&4 in, despite all the work training going on.

Most ridiculous moment of today was trying to assert a serious vibe in the training, and my mobile going off at maximum volume with Kanye West's Good life blaring out....

never seen someone ferreting in their pocket so animatedly....and the worst attempt every to style it out.

• No problem SG. Gives people something to think about for sure as it is a decent race to be involved in

Oh my mate is a James hiscock LOL 

Jesus Alehouse that is a huge streak. Is that days of even 1 mile jogs with niggles or not including uncontrollables like if you was in hospital for example? 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Why SG? Kanye West? You think you know someone...

A previous manager of a local theatre in mine and SG's home town was called Michael Ockwell. I occasionally had to call him. I always phone it both amusing and difficult to phone his PA and ask "is Mike Ockwell in?"

Parents eh? What were they thinking - ask the current CE of Community Impact Bucks - Michael Hunt....

• Shortest run has been 2k, Scott, including the hospital stuff! A long way to match my friend's 50 plus years! I once managed 11 or so.
  • Michael Hunt is head groundsman at MCC. And there are four people of the same name on power of 10. Parents eh...several times over.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed - stupid or cruel?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Worked at a polling station one year, and the best name on the list was Fook Yau.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No doubt Peter Hucker, a goal keeper, spent half his career enduring 'Hucker you f...er' from the oppositions fans. 

Then there's the defaced notices from the traditional, 'Jackson's Tool Works' with 'So does mine' added. And a local one of mine outside a church where the road leading to it is called 'St Thomas Close' where it has 'Well I can't see him' under it.

🙂

• Best football chant I ever heard was "there's only two Andy Gorams" referring to his schizophrenia.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And so to running. How unusual on a training thread image.

An early 5 miler for me which compared to a few days ago was so close in averages it must be some sort of record.

Same route bar the final mile the splits were (today in brackets) 7:59 (7:58), 7:36 (7:37), 7:21 (7:20), 7:23 (7:24) and the final mile 7:44 (7:26). 

Clearly the first four miles indicated no improvement at all image.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Strange sense of Deja Vu with the names!

Yes, running...

Pre-race leg loosener this morning of 3M. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the quad and a bit of underlying sciatica this week keeps away tomorrow!

Should be good conditions mind - cool, dry and (allegedly) very little wind.

• Paced parkrun today but forgot the Garmin which is sitting in my office. Didn't turn out too bad, hit the km marks pretty much on target against a stop watch and eased off the gas for the home straight to try and pull a few more through. Just outside 20 minutes officially.

Dachs wrote (see)
    Worked at a polling station one year, and the best name on the list was Fook Yau.

I have a guy who works for me in Japan called Fukyamama. Unfortunately his first name does not start with an I.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pacers at parkruns seems a curious one to me

They give off the general vibe of not being competitive, but then chasing times through pacemakers is a fairly competitive thing.

Have a good race Bus. Presumably one I've done with you before. One drag, 2 downs.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Is his first name Go?

Different type of competition SG, for most parkrunners it's against themself. Yep, South Bucks 10k tomorrow. Think I'd rather have  lie in though to be honest!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

My contribution to the names is Orson Carte from when I worked at an exam board as a student and a big boss of my then company in Canada who shook my hand firmly before taking me surprise by announcing he was Wan King (actually turned out to be Wayne but the North Americans don't use the word so wouldn't get it!).

Onto running and no parkrun today as I went for the mad 8 am start of Self Transcendence 10k in Battersea Park. High standard as usual with the winner 32'xx but was very pleased with my 37'50 for 18th and 2nd V50 which is actually a 10k pb for me. Nice trophy too. Maybe there is something to running on fresh legs! Managed pretty even splits so not much for a run report but just out-sprinted by the first lady in a battle for the line. Very fast course for anyone chasing pb's and perfect running conditions today (by the way SG, I still ran in my "not with it" Asics Nimbus but have ordered some DS Trainers on Bus's and Alehouse's advice!).

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ha, ha - Orson Carte!!!

Congrats on the PB Pete. That is a fast course that one. Need another trip over there one morning, preferably without having to bike across London first!

Are you getting the DS Trainers or Racers? I've not used the trainers myself, but if they are anywhere near as good as the racers they'll be fine.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    DS trainers Bus, consensus seemed to be they were the best 'entry level' into lighter weight shoes!
  • Stevie G wrote (see)

Pacers at parkruns seems a curious one to me

They give off the general vibe of not being competitive, but then chasing times through pacemakers is a fairly competitive thing.

To me it makes perfect sense. parkrun is a timed run and you are trying to beat yourself and not others. For that, a pacemaker seems right and as pacemakers are other parkrunners who are doing the pacing to help others it embraces the whole ethos very well.

• Nice PB Pete.

I ran at parkran Braustone in Leicester, making the start just in time for the horn to go off. A nice 2 lapper on the side of a hill. A very easy plod round.

There was a suggestion, it being international parkrun day or somewhat, that everyone wore whatever parkrun t-shirts they had. I was the only one in a '25' volunteer top.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

South Bucks 10k today. Whilst I knew I was not on for my ultimate goal of sub 36, I thought I would be able to get a sub 37 on the books for this year after wind affected 37:06 and 37:05s. Conditions were as good as it gets today.

First 5k went well, nicely paced in a group of 3 in 18:12 and felt comfortable - plenty of time for the second 5k! The 6th k is a bit of an uphill drag and my pace fell off a bit here - never to be fully recovered! Still, all the following splits showed with a bit of digging deep I could still retrieve a sub 37. 9th k was a slightly down hill, and fast enough, but I really don't know what happened in the 10th. There is a tight turn and run in over gravel to the finish, but all I needed to do was a 3:45 to go sub 37. Despite mustering a sprint finish and just failing to hold off the runner behind, I went through the line in a very disappointing 37:02, so 3:49 for the last k! Last time out on this course was 36:23. The course is slightly different now as they have moved the start, which adds a little ascent at the start, but removes some of the off-road at the end.

The question now is do I just accept that my peak is a few years ago and at 47 I'll never break 36 now if I can't even go under 37 anymore? In which case I might as well give up trying and just accept the decline gracefully!

• The Bus wrote (see)

The question now is do I just accept that my peak is a few years ago and at 47 I'll never break 36 now if I can't even go under 37 anymore? In which case I might as well give up trying and just accept the decline gracefully!

You are just lucky you came to running late and never raced as a 20 something year old and smashed out ridiculous PBs you can never get hear aged 40+. The absolute decline is one you just have to accept, but the relative decline (i..e how you compare to peers) is something you are very much in control of.

Also bet you were top 20 or thereabouts in a field of say hundreds: everythign is relative.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All true Philip. Trouble is, it's another 3 years before I get to race against my peers again image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus, how has your training changed and how focused is it to 10k sessions?   Maybe you have hit a wall because you are repeating your training and it's not specific to the goal?  if you you do the same things over and over again can you really expect a different outcome?  I think you can still hit your goal but it will require a change. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's a fair enough question Dean. I don't tend to target specific distances (a weakness in itself I guess) but I think the main thing that has been missing for some time that would affect 10k and above are regular tempo runs of a decent length - 5M+.

For many years I never used to do regular interval training with a regular weekly tempo as my only speedwork and that got me so far. A switch to intervals with less tempos saw my PBs tumble, but looking back over the training log, tempos have gradually become rarer, especially now I have regular access to a track. Since my last 10k I tried to reintroduce tempo work, but probably not long enough and on the track so I'm not getting the real road "feel". Certainly in all three of the 10ks I've done this year it really seems to have been a big fade in the last few ks - I put it down to the wind in the last tow, but this one is a bit of a wake up call perhaps. I know I can get below 37 again, just not sure about 36 anymore!