Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - last time I did this one in 36:23 was with no fast tempos OR intervals, but it was in the first week of a marathon taper, which shows what strength can make up for!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shame about not breaking 37 minutes Bus. It's still sub six minute mile average which is good.

🙂

• Options

That's a good run Bus. Haven't you had a niggle recently as well?

Cardiff Half Marathon for me today. Plan was to have a dig at the PB from Reading (1:18:46) despite not a lot of running volume over the summer. Weather was spot on, cool and a nice breeze.

Started with the regulation jump of the barriers and endured the PA's usual diatribe about atmosphere and how we're all heroes.

Decided to go out a bit quick, bank some decent miles and see how much I faded. Mile 1 was a 5:50 which felt easy followed with a few more 5:5x. Spotted a Wargrave runner around 4 miles in I think and kind of lost my rhythm a bit following a quick chat and a water station.

It started to go a bit pear shaped after that with a few 6:0x miles flashing from the Garmin. I had the watch on average pace which I won't do again as it's annoying as it starts to creep up.

Through 10k in 36:59. Started to follow a couple a very nice female runner in what were little more than a pair of hot pants. She was in a race with another perfectly formed derriere about 100 yards ahead so I passed a few miles pacing her back.

Through 10 miles in 60:01, at which point I realised a PB was unlikely. I missed the 12 mile marker so it wasn't until I hit 20km that I realised I should be putting my foot down for the final stretch. Tried a late burst but saw the PB was gone, pride made me put a bit of a kick in for sub 1:19 to finish with 1:18:59. That one second makes a big difference in my head!

Bit disappointed with it, 1:15 seems like a pipe dream.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Ric - I need to remember it wasn't that long ago that just breaking 37 seemed impossible, so all relative I guess.

Bit of a niggle Andrew, but only enough to force a taper for the last two weeks and I didn't feel it today.

Well done on keeping it together to get under 1:19 today! Don't be disappointed, it's still a very good time and very polite of you not to beat my PB (also 1:18:46) just yet image. Is Cardiff a fast course? Sounds like it has its benefits!!

• Options

I'd say it's fast, there's a hill at 3 miles and one at 12 which was quite steep. Probably similar to Wokingham and Reading, maybe between the two.

It will have to be in the spring when I have a crack at moving up the thread rankings image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

About to be pipped at the post!

/members/images/390230/Gallery/s_bucks_medium.jpg

• Options

On the right I presume Bussy image

Shame about the half AG - onwards and upwards though. I used to call them a 'Professor Pie Head' race...'A partial success' being the mantra (as in at least I finished it image)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nah, I'm the young fast looking chap Simon image

Bastards have added on a second too - 37:03! Still - ended up 8th overall and 3rd old git.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I recognise that bloke. Think I saw him at the start of the Ridgeway Relay. I thought "he looks fast, better watch out for him". Never saw him again.

Anyway Bus, shame you didn't get what you want. I do have some agreement with Dean though, the sub 36 isn't going to come without a change in the training somewhere along the line. Pick a fast race, none of your hilly local nonsense, plan out your training to peak for it, and make sure you do your work at 10k pace as well as the two zones either side. Do not neglect tempos. Maybe ditch the parkruns for a bit, or incorporate them into the training in a smarter way, and more occasionally. You can still knock out sub 80 for a half, so it shows 36 is doable. Not time to give up yet.

AG, good run and report at Cardiff. Shame not to get the PB you wanted, but you know yourself that you can't run a good half off so few miles. Run the miles, and the times will follow.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Dachs - agreed. TBH, parkruns have become a bit of a lazy excuse for a tempo as they are less of a bind! That would be OK if I added a mile either end and didn't run them at 5k pace I guess!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

gonna be on here a fair bit less, as on best behaviour at new job...

however quick round up, AG, sub 1hr 20 is never to be sniffed at old son. Difference In sub 1hr 15 compared to 1hr 20 though is huge. Might struggle to get there until you put some proper mileage in over a good time.

Bus, wouldn't necessarily say your pb days are behind you, despite being 47 and having 13 years or so of racing. However, you certainly need a niggle free good block of training (like me!)

. Like Dean alludes to, better thought out stuff too, than just the fave sessions. For me, I know I'm really monstering it, after a good progressive tempo block, ranging from the steady miles in base, to simple MP runs, building to the mix of HMP/MP.

That's the stuff I know works (when combined with not having a medium term blocking issue!). Otherwise, if it was left to me doing what I fancied I'd probably never run beyond 12miles, and would just do 400s or 200s every sesh!

6&4 today for me. Might be getting ahead of myself, but today felt like I couldn't really feel any breathing constraints for first time in ages, but did feel a couple of hip and hamstring feels! Wonder if we're almost back in business!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed SG!

• Options

Ditto. A few niggles are nothing compared to the other stuff you've been battling!

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

AG, good run and report at Cardiff. Shame not to get the PB you wanted, but you know yourself that you can't run a good half off so few miles. Run the miles, and the times will follow.

Thanks, I know I need the miles now. I naively thought I could just chip a minute off from a summer of cross training.

SG - Good to hear things are picking up, just in time for the XC season image

• Options

Enough of the photos of bus, I want to see the good behind AG was behind.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i think that makes sense Phil...ish!

Ta AG, you really want to beat me at XC don't you! I'd aim a bit higher for now son!

Today I remembered why I had switched my tempo stuff to my loop or the track, as monstering it across town can easily lose you momentum here and there, not to mention some undulations you don't have to bear on the loop, and certainly not on the track!

Today was one such run, and although I'd aimed at least to put in 4.5miles MP like last week, I was near the bottom end of my zone after 3 (6.08) after having to slow sharply over a couple of roads, so made the decision to spice it up with some intervals and reps at faster paces.

so it basically panned out, off a nice 2min recovery

3m MP, 6.08
    1m HMP 5.45
    2x 1/4m 5k 1.20, 1.18.

That'll do, and adds a light bit of pace after weeks of moderate MP jobs.

Probbo will develop this week by doing some 200 or 400s Friday. Will be interesting to compare to about 5 weeks ago, where 400s came out fine on pace, but breathing off the scale of appalling in the recoveries.

Am very aware that if you don't develop the weeks, I could still be doing 4- 4.5miles MP in 73 weeks time! Have to push it a little each time to check progress

That appointment is still 5 weeks away! By then, this whole saga from Mid July through Mid Nov, will be a huge 4monther!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Enough of the photos of bus, I want to see the good behind AG was behind.

Tut, tut Philip - at your age too image

Sounds like good progress SG. By the time you go to the appointment you'll have forgotten what is was for - I guess that's why they do it!

Very muddy 8+6 for me today. Pretty dark too on the way home! Ah, the joys of Autumn...

• Options

Nice session SG.

There's only two people I really want to beat, one is my team mate and the other is the ginger haired chap that just beats me every time!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Almost 10 years since my first XC race in this series! Wowzers. Made a fairly good crack at the early ones, mid 20s finishes. By the Nov/Dec 2006 ones I was monstered from my first real year of racing, and was more like 40-50s! I distinctly remember declaring in some report I wrote elsewhere that those were the last XC I'd ever do!

Followed promptly by 1 race in the whole of 2007 due to injury/chicken pox wiping it out!

Don't worry Bus, just 4-5 months like this coming image Remembering some of those solo evening track sessions, where I could barely feel my fingers, even with gloves on, I must have had an Iron will back then. Leaving work, knowing you have the "real" work to come before being able to relax was not a good thing.

For now, give me mornings every time..get it banked.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's funny - I'm looking forward to the clocks going back. Not for the dark evenings coming on sooner, but for the lighter mornings. Until mid December at least one of the doubles will be in the light! Those bloody year round BST campaigners just don't get it!! If you work until at least 6 every day what difference does it make if it's light until 5 in December??

Is it because of his ginger hair that it riles you AG? Please say it isn't or, as our ambassador for PC, Dachs will have to have words with you image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd say he should be more annoyed by the other guy. That TVT mob with their silly costumes, and none of them has ever apparently run more than 10miles a week, yet if you beat them, they always have a tale of a 100mile hilly cycle race the day before

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
  • Options

Are you calling me a racist, Bus?

SG, I've never seen a triathlete training topless image

• Options

Apart from swimming of course.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Very flattering for James that he's such a target no doubt.

• Options

Actually he was at parkrun last time out and I knew he was the perfect pace maker for a sub 17 and he ran 16:59 but I couldn't keep up!

• Options

Good chucklesome stuff on here tonight..more tales of Berkshire types of whom I have no idea who they are!

So the second wettest Luton session tonight in 8 years, 3 weeks after the wettest ever one. Bastard weather. Anyway, 4 x 2k and I thought id take it 75% like I did a week before Berlin..

So it was 6.40 (that was the really torrential rain), then a 6.25. Had to have a poo stop, so I tagged along for the 2nd 1k of the 3rd rep, then did the last one in 6.18. Felt pretty good, but we were on the paths and my crappy old racers didn't give me much support...hence the quads were singing a bit at the end. Contented with that though.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Gingerist? I can't be as some of my best friends are ginger  image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good session Simon, especially the run/swim first 2k!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    SG - I find that the best approach is not to talk to triathletes at all.

Simon - nice session so soon after a marathon. I always find my first session back after a marathon is abandoned at some point, and not for poo related reasons either.