Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice of you SG, especially as I'd like to do it, but I'm in the Lakes for half term the week before and the thought of Marlow after a week of fells has my adductor shouting at me already... 

Maybe you should give it a go, but be prepared to pul out if you start feeling like you did at Wycombe.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ah, Dean you're talking about during the game. I'm on about what finishes the game permanently.

Impossible and probably impertinent to say what counts as a worthwhile running career and what doesn't. Many many variables.

When I started running, me and most of my peers were viewed with contempt by the traditional club runners who started at age 10. These were the sort of guys who regarded 5 minute mile pace for 10k a reasonable basic standard.

But where are they now?

I can look at a series of race results from my earliest efforts and sift out around 50 names of the day of around my own age, names who could run out of sight of me in half a mile, and would react to my efforts (10 miles in 59:13 one time) with 'Never mind, we all have days like that' image. They are all bar a couple, gone from running.

So really I could place the emphasis on longevity, but I would (could) say that wouldn't I? It's about all I have.

If I'd had the ability to run blindly fast track races or XC I may well use those as the standard top level. Probably still is.

The irony of running is that among traditional club runners, track is king, XC a means to the track, and road running bar relays a joke.

So logic means I'm a long running jokeimage.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You've kept running Ric, and running Is what you like to do. Nothing else is important.

I always wonder about the drop off rate in track racing. After you've squeezed that last 0.1second out of a distance, do most go up a distance? Or just find something else?

Give me the road anyday, where 40s and 50s can compete fairly well with anyone there.

Well..anyone can compete with how I'd be racing right now at least image

Went off for a 13miler today, usual semi undulating route, but today I chucked in this steep 3/4mile hill up to an epic church on a hillside, and then a mile on some tracks and back.

Surprisingly, all in, 6.58 average.

If I can get the breathing 100% again I'd be confident at being in a fairly good place with some fine tuning.

62 mile week, highest since June, but last 5 60 or more, and 7 of the last 8 that level (a 56 being the outsider)

That's enough stats for now.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good enough stats there SG.

If stats were anything to go by I'd happily dump 100 of my 400 races plus for just one sub 2 minute 800m.

Mind you, if I did that I may lose a few anecdotes. Remember the Marlow HM when it was a bit damp?

The power of commitment. Only the presence of the thread stopped me dropping out after the ascent of the first river.

No running for a few days as I'm determined to lose this niggle. It's almost gone. I've executed a few two hour plus bike rides in the meantime.

I've also executed a few lagers and glasses of wine too.

The effects appear in the posts sometimes. Make allowances. I'm old and on my last legs.

Mind you, they are also my first legs so not to worryimage

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I remember that Marlow clearly Ric. I also reember you catching me on that last downhill, seemingly with endergy to spare, while I was struggling even to maintain forward momentum with the aid of gravity before dropping me in the closing stages- a siuation repeated at every race since!

That's a pretty solid base of miles SG. Test yourself at Marlow, after all it is a race of strength, not speed...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I also remember that year's appalling conditions at Marlow Ric! What I can't remember is if it was the Wokingham the year before or after you pulled out of because of potential bad weather. Yet raced Marlow in about as bad as it gets image

Never lose the anecdotes Ric. It's in one of my relative "Malaise" periods that I like to think back to old races, with their achievements, hard luck stories, old pals and different places. I think one of my happiest spells was when myself and a mate just picked any old race, turned up, had a blast and enjoyed it. Think that only actually lasted 2 races in 2 weeks, as it was quickly overtaken by joining Marlow and their set of races.

Sub 2 for 800 sounds fast of course! Dean aside, probably solely the domain of track kids though.  In RW mag, "Tonky", who in thread terms is a severely average runner did a piece once about "lacking speed", and I thought, yep you sure do. But then he meant, not breaking 2mins for 800 as a kid. Not sure if he was any good as a kid, but that sounds a pretty harsh measuring tool.

Bus, it's 3 weeks away, and the next appointment is 4 weeks away. There's stil lthe niggling feel that breathing aint right, and to be honest, until it is, it'd be madness I think to even entertain a race. Thinking being, that when (if!) I'm back, there's tonnes of races, but if I overdo something, there won't be!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

RicF wrote (see)

Good enough stats there SG.

If stats were anything to go by I'd happily dump 100 of my 400 races plus for just one sub 2 minute 800m.

Mind you, if I did that I may lose a few anecdotes. Remember the Marlow HM when it was a bit damp?

The power of commitment. Only the presence of the thread stopped me dropping out after the ascent of the first river.

No running for a few days as I'm determined to lose this niggle. It's almost gone. I've executed a few two hour plus bike rides in the meantime.

I've also executed a few lagers and glasses of wine too.

The effects appear in the posts sometimes. Make allowances. I'm old and on my last legs.

Mind you, they are also my first legs so not to worryimage

Hope the niggles go away as quickly as they appear.

ps, I'd noticed, I've taken many a thread roasting off you over the years image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers SG.

Thread roastings from me! 

Just a phase of being a miserable git. It passes. Still working on stopping it before it arrives.

🙂

• Options
    Evening all..just a quick one as I'm trying to be sensible and get an early night. Surrey lge went ok yesterday, went off relatively conservatively on the first lap and made my way through the field. Second lap and especially the slow steady hill killed me a little bit, but pleased with my 30th overall in what looked like a strong field. Stupidly had 7 pints after, although it was a good evening!!

Entered Cardiff half next March, aiming for sub 73, presuming a few others doing?
  • Options

Lots of anecdotal evidence on leg age versus real age and examples such as Martin Rees and Charles Eugster do indicate that if you want to break world records at an advanced age you need to not run for many years and take it up late but also if you look at Deena Kastor (who just broke the masters marathon record at Chicago) then she has been running since a child and still breaking records so no hard and fast rules.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Simon - I saw the Surrey League results and thought it looked like a good run from you not long after Berlin... and that I could struggle to make the scoring team for Kent AC this year!  I'd best get some running sharpness back after a week in Tenerife and two weeks of no running whatsoever, as I've just had the call-up for the England V40 team for the British & Irish Cross Country International, which is taking place this year in Dublin on 14th November.  imageimage

We've got the first of our classic XC training sessions tomorrow, just over 5 miles hilly fartlek (5 x 4 hills). That should wake my legs up a bit.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

antony Whiteman and bernard Lagat also have taken WRs at masters in the last few years too, and they have been active since youth.

though i do feel that most masters who break records do so on new legs. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats Philpub on the england vest.  what result got you over the line do you think?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean.  The selection criteria seemed to emphasise the importance of 5k & 10k times for ranking athletes this year compared to last year, so I probably did myself a favour by running 15:37 at the club champs not so long ago, and I guess 3 x sub-16 and 2 x sub-33 times this year shows some consistency.  And they like British Masters' comps don't they, so HM champ and bronze in the 5,000 may have helped.

Just as well they weren't too fussed about actual XC performances cos I was utterly pants last season.  image

• Options

Morning all.

After a manic week in Dresden with late nights, early mornings and too much bier und schwein, I've had a quick back-read. I did some running too.

Well done PhilP for the England call-up. image

Arm warmers are a perfectly suitable accessory to any running garb.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Predictable accessory-related support from a triathlete, but I'll take it anyway image

Well done on the England call PP.

Nicely done on the XC Simon.

Fairly shocking Hampshire League XC for me at Winchester on Saturday.  My rest period has coincided with a drawn-out cold, but I thought it was almost cleared up by the weekend.  However, whilst my legs felt fine in the race, my lungs were just not playing ball.  Ended up 36th, behind a good number of people I would normally expect to beat, including a clubmate against whom I previously had something like a 20-0 record.  In fairness, I can't think of anyone more deserving of beating me, given the work he's put in and the injuries he's suffered, and also being a very decent bloke, and at least as much of it is down to his recent improvement as my bad day, but still, no-one likes being beaten.  Plus, my shoes started rubbing on my heel during the race, and took loads of the skin off, which didn't slow me down, but didn't lighten my mood either.

Woke up this morning feeling like crap, so a combination of that, plus my heel means my rest period will continue to at least tomorrow.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

By the way, race won by the lad from Southampton who Scott kept banging on about on the Team GB thread.  Looking at his record, you have to go back to March 14 to find an XC race he hasn't won.

I actually beat him once, at the Eastleigh 10K in 2013.

He was 15.

That may be something I can tell my grandkids in the future, obviously leaving out the bit about his age.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There's a guy in one of my clubs who has beaten both Peter Snell and Seb Coe.

Bearing in mind he was already in his late 50's or even 60's when he managed this feat, it's fair to say he didn't catch them on one of their faster days.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yep, as I'm sure I've cited on here before, my uncle has a similar story about beating Steve Ovett as a junior in some kind of Sussex Cross Country thing.  Think the age gap was less than 2 years in that case.

Interestingly, they both now live in Australia, maybe we should try to get some kind of rematch.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Some good running (but even better philosophy) going on as per usual.

Good solid reps there SG - looking good image

Just catching up after a few days away from technology.

I run for the sole purpose of trying to be as fast as people on this threadimage

It's a health / not getting fat / setting a good example to my daughter thing really for me.  I've found something that's good for me that I actually enjoy (most of the time).  Some of the sessions or even some easy runs I'm struggling a bit with motivation, but I don't want to let one run slip because it's obviously a cumulative effort to try and hit better race times etc.  I'm still on that upward trajectory having only been doing "proper" training for less than a couple of years.  The point someone (Ric I think) made a few pages back about whether the motivation would be there if someone put in a big shift in training to "only" get down to about 1:40 level.  Are there really people out there who could be knocking out 50 mile weeks and only run 1:40 for HM?  I don't think talent really makes a difference until you're down around probably sub 80 does it?  So, if you put in some proper consistent training, sub 90 shouldn't be too big a stretch.  It depends where you're starting from I suppose.

Another big 10k session this morning.  2 sets of 5x1000m off 90s with 3 mins between sets.  Wasn't feeling it at all after a very busy weekend with wedding, party, comedy gig, out for lunch, Chinese takeaway and working late last night and nowhere near enough sleep over the weekend.  Add to that the torrential rain and a bit of wind this morning and I really wasn't excited about the prospect of running round the track in the dark...  Aiming for 3:42s and was pretty much there on all of them - 1 sneaked down to 3:43:xx and a few just over the 3:42 and a few just under, so all in all, a pretty solid session whilst not feeling in top form.  I'll take that with less than 3 weeks until the 10k race image

• Options

Good stuff CC82, sounds promising. Dachs - ah, at least legs felt ok - better that way round than the other I suppose, at least you know the cold will go! 36th still OK in Hants league though?

Iron - know the feeling!

PP - Great news on the call up. I get earache about trying for an England vest for xc at training. I might try and focus a bit more at somepoint..IF i'm still going OK. You missed a good session at the Crokked Billet/Hand in Hand on Saturday after the race. Some VERY Top Gun style photos out on the Green from the Kent AC boys image Good to get everyone in the same pub at last!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Oh yeah - knew I was missing something.  PP - well done on the call up!

• Options

PP, is the correlation between where you run (Berlin, Dublin) and the beer purely coincidental?

I run for enjoyment but health is a big factor. I always used to run and then in my early 30s I stopped (at least partially if not fully) and I remember one winter pulling my kids up and down a flat road on a sledge and being out of breath and realised I had slid to being 13 stone with a middle aged spread. My Dad had 5 way heart bypass in his early fifties so that was a bit of a genetic flag so I resumed the running. Now I can't see myself stopping but can foresee a time when it is more social and less competitive.

• Options
    Dachs I really think you are being super modest about 36th.. The AFD boys turned up and most other of the regular top end lads and then Southampton fielded a deep solid team with 5 of them being sub 15 5km runners!

I didn't know Mahamed was running until I saw the results, 1st senior race too having just turned 18, he is just ridiculous over XC but it's his younger brother who ran 15:33 5km age 14 which scares me

For your info though Mahamed ran about 5:15 pace..

PP - as said on Sub 3 fantastic and well deserved call up

CC82 - you churn out solid sessions on a very consistent basis those PBs are shaking for sure
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

tending to have an evening read through these days.

PP, well done old son. Presumably earnt for being the fastest geezer in the running community?

CC, you're in a really nice place, that place where the big sessions are on your plate, and you're dealing with them. I'd like to get back there one day soon!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Another England vest on the thread image Nice one PP and very much deserved!

Dachs, I suppose you were, well, a bit down at heel.....

Great session CC!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Took the MP run to 5.5miles today, so very close to the classic 6miler now. Got to 4.5 and just told myself I fancied an extra 1/2mile, and then did the same 1/2mile back to end near work. That's better, 6.04 average across town.

Felt fresh on the warmup for once, and it just felt decent. It's taking little steps each week, gaining confidence again, and making sure any increase isn't costing anything.

Fancy 200s on Friday as a bit of a treat.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice one SG - getting there...

Easy 45 minutes for me this morning.  A bit slower than usual at about 7:53 average.  My right Achilles seems to be a bit tight, so I'll need to get the heat pack out tonight.  Hopefully it's nothing...

Big session planned for tomorrow - 12 mins @ threshold, 3mins recovery, 3x 8 mins @ 10k pace off 90s, 12 mins @ threshold.  Should be "interesting"...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good progress again SG. How's the new work location affecting your running?

CC - that session just sounds scary!

"eventful" best describes todays run! Intention was some off-road reps. Reality was fields ploughed right to the edge (Grr!), mad woman dog walker trying to have a long conversation with me (buggered up the garmin trace!), argument with some blokes putting up a fence across a public footpath - yet another example of creeping speculative land purchase as developers take advantage of the softening of green belt rules and housing growth targets. Then I finally got to the field to do the reps. The plan was 5 x 1k at HM pace - bit tough on undulating, off-road, but good for strength I figured. Anyway, first 2 went fine then half-way through the third a woman with several dogs appeared, one of whom decided it needed to run directly into my path - it was a pretty spectacular flying trip, with a proper forward roll finish, luckily all on soft grass. The woman owner was mortified and apologised profusely unfortunately so I could hardly get cross. Kind took the edge of the reps though, so finished off with a few fartleks, but missed about 0.3M by forgetting to restart the garmin.

• Options

Another one for the highly entertaining book that Bus will bring out when he hangs up his trainers image