Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I ran through a puddle on my run this morning.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, it was the new internal job i've just started, the Slough move is 2016, and not to the summer....it's just the chance to fit the long lunch runs in on occasions if you're around is much less likely now.

Fair play on trying the reps (although less demanding to my first mis-read of 5x1MILE at 10k!! Did that once, at 5.30 dead...must be my best ever session, but very much round a track!

Offroad reps and pace zones are very tough anyway, without any shenanighans. I remember the challenge of finding a sensible location once, when i didn't run mornings. The time of year meant anything post 5pm wasn't going to be safe, so i had to shoehorn a woods section in at lunch, and really hope no dogs would emerge, as I was flooring it back and forwards on a not exactly wide stretch.

Goodyou got away without anything more than session hampered!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Once again Bus, you don't half find it.

Admit it, your training is the absolute maximum energy output you can muster in the time allocated image.

Most of my dog encounters involve the owners having a chat. One of them made mention of the fact her house was only a couple of hundred yards away image.

That was close. If I'd been on the way out for the 12 miler instead of the way back, I might have asked , where's that then? 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What happened to my post then? I quoted Simon, but it will only let me unquote now image

Basically, all I said was, the worst thing was having to be nice to the dog owner when I much prefer shouting and swearing at them image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Once again Bus, you don't half find it.

Admit it, your training is the absolute maximum energy output you can muster in the time allocated image.

Oh he's definitely guilty of that. image

On "easy pace" runs with me, i'll turn up expecting my easy pace, he'll push the pace up a leap beyond that, then blame me for ratching the pace up image

and we're all onto the attempts to "hide" the effort level, by quoting 8min miling on 15milers, hoping we don't realise that it's actually up steep offroad running, meaning in effect it's all been done flat out

• Like your Marlow5 cool down eh SG? It was like running another 2miles flat out!

60mins progression run today, legs still tired after the weekend and the last 5 minutes was bloody hard work and nowhere near the 3km brick run pace after Sunday's bike ride.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

come on son, that was no faster than 7 min miling image

But I guess it is all a relative game! I vividly remember big Trev from Handy Cross leading me and Frankie back to the clubhouse for a mile at a ridiculous pace that no one could call a "cool down" back in the day!

nice training sesh...everyone loves progressive.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's about the size of it Iron image

Anyway SG - the 15 milers are struggling to break 9 min miles lately (yeah, Ok, I have started doing them in chain-mail and diving boots, but even so...!)

Ah, off to bed now - looking forward to the 6 am start for a 15 miler, half in the dark, to work image. Been a while since I've done one of those, but the Wetherspoons full English at the end will help the motivation...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Have to admit it's sort of amusing the way groups ratch up the pace while pretending they're going easy.

A lad I ran with for a couple of years, joined the Harrow AC easy paced burn up one Sunday. He was at that stage just a bit faster than the rest but clearly the others thought they could drop him on a longish run (he was 800/1500 mainly).

He told me that on that day, the others were trying to out do each with training mileages as well as speed, and were quoting figures such as 40, 50, 60 miles/wk.

One of the number then turned to him and asked what he 'was on'. "Oh! when I've finished this run I'll have done just over 90."

He said there was a stunned silence and the pace just collapsed to whatever he wanted it to be image.

Top dog.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice one Ric. A long the lines of never underestimate anyone on the start line of a race, and never boastquote (new word, similar to humblebrag) your times when you don't know someone else's pedigree.

Bus, 15mile morning runs on weekdays? I thought i'm a hero for doing a 10miler just then. Why 15 today, what's on at the weekend?

I have my nice little zone of the week rest until Friday now. Always makes me think, when people who don't run can't understand how to fit 60+ miles a week in. I don't run any evenings, so those are free, singles on weekends, and only 4milers at lunch 3 times a week. The morning runs are just a case of cutting out an hour or 2 of sleep, and using otherwise dead time. Feels pretty sustainable really.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

I have my nice little zone of the week rest until Friday now. Always makes me think, when people who don't run can't understand how to fit 60+ miles a week in. I don't run any evenings, so those are free, singles on weekends, and only 4milers at lunch 3 times a week. The morning runs are just a case of cutting out an hour or 2 of sleep, and using otherwise dead time. Feels pretty sustainable really.

There is a balance to be had. I like to train in the morning generally and this morning did an easy low HR 45 minutes, which meant I had a lie-in until 0645 image. Yesterday I did my speed session at lunch as I cannot concentrate like that in the morning, though the cool air may have helped. The downside was I couldn't see much as I was running without my specs.

I'm tucked up in bed pretty early to counter the fatigue. Weekends are normally 3hrs on the bike and some form of longer run. I haven't done a double day (other than a top-up) since 2012.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

Hello everyone! I am just popping in to say that I actually really like running 10-15 miles to work on a Wednesday morning, when that happens.

But also, in response to this:
    (1) people who run slower than you take longer to run 60 miles.
    (2) people who work further away from home need more time for their commute and might already be getting less sleep than you.
    (3) people with young children might be busy in the early mornings.
    (4) some people have non-running commitments taking up more of their spare time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'd agree with all of that Lit! I struggle to do much more than 50 simply because it starts to eat into family time and parental duties and the Mrs gets narky with me image

The 15 this morning SG was because I'm doing the world famous C&B Frieth Hilly 10k on Sunday image. I last did it in 2009, when I finished a shade behind Hayley Yelling despite having run just under 20m on the Friday image. Ah, to be young (ish!) again!

I actually like getting the long run done in the week before work as it gets it out of the way and I have no choice but to get on with things at work rather than it wiping out best part of a Sunday. What I don't like so much is that to get to work, it needs to be on road and the last 5 miles is alongside a busy A4010 which I have to cross about a zillion times!

Bit slow this morning, especially the first half, but the last few miles were done at a more reasonable pace with the final mile at MP, to give 7:34 average for the 15.3. No dogs attacking me or being shot at though, so that's good image

• Food for thought Lit.

Here I always aim to be back for 0730 latest regardless of what I do as that is the time that the kids need some chivvying to get up and ready for school. School is 1200m away and I typically work from home. In some instances I will be up and out stupidly early to train before heading off somewhere.

Early morning activities are my commute whether I end up back at home or nipping off to the airport or down a motorway. Evenings are when the Mrs and kids have their clubs/activities/etc.

Other than coaching on a Sunday I have shunned all other commitments bar work and tri.

Edit: Bus, I'd call that a success!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's the joy of running to and from work.  If I didn't do that, I'd run no more than about 35 miles per week.

• My office is exactly 10 miles away from my house, so I don't often run it, and never both ways in the same day. So I either need to run really early before work, run near work and then go home, or cycle home and then run. If I need to be at work early and have evening commitments, the running just doesn't happen that day.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

60 miles each week may be easily doable if you don't have any other exercise taking up time. However I reckon it is also a) injury inducing b) boring and c) completely unnecessary (unless you're in the midst of marathon training). I find it preferable to spend more time cycling or brisk walking than running and just as good for fitness.   

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

my ave mileage over the last 6 weeks is 70m.  i have no intention of running a marathon but will find out if it helps me when i get round to racing a 10k.  

but i believe if you always train the same way you always get the same results...so im changing up from an ave of about 45m weeks to 70m weeks to see if by building my base endurance up can help me race faster.    worth a go!

• Pete, if I found running boring I wouldn't do it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dean - I can't believe it is possible for you to go any faster without catching fire image

It will be very interesting to see what that does to results. Have you got anything coming up?

I'm pretty lucky being able to do my train/commute combination I guess. Mind you, it doesn't always feel like that on a freezing cold, dark wet January morning and I'm not sure my fellow passengers feel the same!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Everyone's different and if you really want to do high mileage, I suspect you'll find a way to do it.  I worked from home for a year from summer 2014 to summer 2015 and fitting in 60 mile weeks was easy.  I went back to commuting (40 miles = 1 hour, 2 ways) this summer and only 4 days per week.  That combined with being in charge of my daughter on the 5th day and having to do other things (I'm self employed, so on top of the 4 days in the same office, I have other clients I need to fit work in for - evenings and weekends, my Dad's been in hospital since the start of the summer, so hospital visits, getting his laundry done, etc, and generally trying to be home in time to spend at least a bit of time with my 2 year old before she goes to bed) meant that I quickly had to drop from training 6x per week to 5x just to fit it in.  The training's been changed up a little and I'm generally getting 40+ mile weeks in (closer to 50 the past few weeks) by getting 4 decent runs/sessions in early morning before work and then just one long run at the weekend.

I have a double problem with the distance I commute.  I can't run to work because it's 40 miles away, but what I've often thought about doing is ditching the car x miles from work and running the rest of the way.  The main problem with that for me is that I absolutely need access to a toilet before I go for my morning run...!  That's the reason I drive to work, then go for a run.  I used to go running at home, then come to work, but I need about an hour to "compose myself" in the morning before heading out, so I spend that time in the car rather than getting up early and fannying about at home for an hour then going running, then having to drive an hour to work.  Lunchtimes would be fine, but 3 of my 4 midweek runs are at least an hour at the moment, so that doesn't work either.

So yeah - I agree with Lit here.  I think getting 40 miles per week in should be doable for most people but people who don't make the time to fit in loads of running don't actually want to do loads of running, in my opinion.

Anyway - bailed on the big session this morning.  Feeling the Achilles tightening up a couple of minutes in, so just stopped and walked back.  It was absolutely Baltic walking back!  Shame because I was buzzing for the session this morning - more than I have been for weeks for any of these big early morning sessions.  I'll take tomorrow and Friday off and try an easy 30 mins on Saturday to see if it's eased off.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Dean; was talking amateur level; Mo and his ilk all run 60+ a week and you're nearer their level than you are most of us! Agree about trying different ideas all the time though and Einstein's words about the insanity of expecting different results from doing the same thing.

Lit; sorry, didn't mean all running was boring, just that for most people, like in all areas of life, there can be a level over which it gets boring.   

• I'm the same as Dachs - my commuting running takes me from 35 to 55 odd miles a week. It's been the main reason for my improvement in the last 5 or so years - my son being born 5 years ago was just a happy co-incidence, being a new dad didn't help!

Also - marry a fellow runner. A MASSIVE help image (one that is a qualified sports masseur is also a bonus...)

Thankfully dry for the 8 x 1k last night at Luton on the grass. Times were 3.14,3.08,3.08,3.07,3.09,3.09,3.08,3.04. I think the recovery was about 90 odd secs. So really happy with that, with using Berlin as a long running excuse! In reality, I was hoping that it would help with my entry into the XC season, and hopefully it has. Time will tell..

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No-one runs 60m a week for general fitness though, that's way more than necessary. If I just wanted to keep myself fit, I'd just jog twice a week, maybe a swim, and go for the odd walk. But if you want to see how fast you can get, which is the motivation for many on this thread, then 60m a week is really a minimum for distances of 5K and up.

Haven't run since that cross-country on Saturday, due to a combination of still feeling under the weather (still coughing up stuff) and my skin-less heel making it painful to walk let alone run.  But today, I wrapped my heel in 1 x padded plaster, some folded toilet paper and 2 pairs of socks (one of which was double skinned), and set off for a planned 10 with 8 an marathon pace,  Well, that turned out to be way too ambitious, and I canned the MP after 2 miles averaging about 5:50 with my lungs really not having it.  Could have squeezed out another 3 miles or so probably at that pace, but no point if I'm still not quite well.  Completed the 10 at whatever pace I fancied.  Feel like I've started from scratch again.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mileages and its relation to speed.

I read this years ago from Bruce Tulloh.

"Mileage has no relation to running speed because this is more dependant on physique, age and natural ability."

Which made me sort of wonder why we bothered training at all.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i agree to a certain extent because even when i didnt run and i could still sprint fast but what about speed endurance? to get that takes mileage

• I used to run every day just for fitness! It was really nice. Probably not more than about 25-30 miles per week though.

• When I was job hunting I turned down several opportunities because the commute wouldn't work with what I had planned for training.

I work 8 miles from home and cycle every day. Once a week I run home and then run back the next morning. It's good as I don't have to risk a double. Those runs tend to be pretty slow but the route is mostly along the river and canal, although that may change in the Winter.

I also train at lunch time; I either do a 5-6 mile run or a 25 minute swim. I find I hardly do any training in the evenings now. I get home and help the Wife with family stuff. Mornings are a write off as I have to get the little one up and take her to nursery. Weekends are where I have to fight my corner to get out on the bike and do a long run, the rest of the time she hardly notices I am training.

I find I am limited to around 10 hours a week whereas I'd like to be doing 15 hours, such is life.

Today's lunch run kind of illustrates why I should be doing a training plan. I intended on doing lots of easy miles for a few weeks to build up the mileage, trouble is it was a bit nippy and I tend to run faster to warm up.

Mile 1 was 6:41 and the second 6:32 without intending to speed up so I thought I may as well do a progression run and knock off 10 seconds a mile. Mile 3 was 6:20 but mile 4 was 5:57 and then 5:51 for the fifth, averaged 6:20 for the sixth mile including a warm down. So my easy 7:20-30mm run turned into a progression run averaging 6:16.

Discipline and a plan is needed especially if I struggle to do the 8,8,15 I had planned over the next 4 days.

• Interesting talk about commuting and mileage. In case anyone forgot I live 2.25m away from work imagewhich is super handy.

I rarely run into work though as I rarely do doubles which I'd have to do so I waste petrol driving, was ok when I had the GF as I'd drive over to see her after work, I've averaged 60mpw over the last 12 weeks with longs runs of 14-16 mainly and a couple of 18s - I have to structure my week and plan in times to run otherwise I don't think I'd get it done. Working shifts sometimes I work 1:30-10 which is handy if I have a mid week 10-12 mile run or session but then I still have to get up reasonably early then not home and stuff till 10:30pm..

Sometimes like yesterday running at 5am. I'd love to see my daughter more and it does help not seeing her being able to run when I want, and then I'm lucky when I have her on the weekends my mum will look after her when I run

I can't imagine run if less than what I do now though, last year averaging 35 miles per week seems like a joke and I wondered what I did with my spare time!

Dachs - agreed no one runs that much for fun imo

I can't get a run in on lunch breaks as its only 45 mins and we can't leave the unit

Matts a class example of running big volume around long hours and family though.

Getting itchy feet now heading into Sunday's race

SC - quality KM reps,
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Oh my other point was I think I have been pretty lazy although disciplined about my running, now I've built up I can't really see running 80/90 miles per week or more a problem as long as I stay healthy

I think my basic week for now is about right for 10km or so.. I obviously ran well of small mileage last year. I haven't had weeks of constant sessions so once I input intensity I will wait before increasing mileage
    Pain is weakness leaving the body