Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• As some of you have seen on FB allready I did the Brighton 10m today! 

It was an awesome course, very flat with one large slight incline halfway before turning. Some top guys! 47:16 didn't even win image 47:02! Crazy to see that sort of effort being put in! 

55:44 for 11th. 2:01 PB and very happy after a long old spell of injury and stuff and tryign to rebuild into some sort of shape most of this year. 13 weeks of purely steady running to HR did this and I am excited to drop in regular speedwork next week and see what happens in a few months! 

Good effort racing Bus and PMJ. Good results

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Superb Scott. Should be a productive winter/spring for you.

midlands XC relay for me..... Short report I was on leg 2, was given a 40 sec lead.. So was a solo time trial rather than a race.  Lots of support out on the course From other clubs cheering us in.  Results not out but people were saying I increased our lead.  Leg 3 & 4 did the business and we ended up with Midlands gold medal.  

In the last 800m I tweaked my hamstring so I eased off until the final hill and water crossing (there were 4 water crossings).   I was sore in the warm down but it was a dull ache on my lsr today so I'm hoping it's nothing serious 

• Thanks! Yes just looking at what to go for next.. 

Good job on the medal and fine solo leg! Hopefully nothing serious and you have a winter! 

• Good racing Bus, Dean & PMJ.

That's a superb result, Scott. 

15.5m with quite a bit off road with hills for me yesterday and then I got drunk at the awards night. Severe hangover avec vomiting made most today a write off. Just popped out for 3.5m recovery plod.

Third highest ever weekly mileage of 47.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

47? Makes my OCD weep that AG! I'm so glad I don't ever get into that sort of hangover state anymore - one of the few advantages of getting old  image

Scott - very well done!  That's a cracking time and a good sign of things to come!

Dean - your trophy shelf must be bowing under the weight of those medals - good work image

Philip - nice work and keeping bang on the numbers for the real target as one would expect...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus cheers & I did 48.1m this week how's your ocd with that  image

pmj....missed your report...good stuff and looks a promising marker for your marathon training

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I did 50.1 and it was an accident.  Honest!

Nice one Scott!!  imageimage

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Oh, and Dean winning more bling.  As he does!  image

imageimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

48 is at least an even number Dean, but still...

Mind you, to be fair to 47, it is a safe prime (and my age!), so not all bad.

50.1 is absolutely fine PP - the round number OCD only kicks in for minimums  - not realistic to expect you to run backwards for 0.1 of a mile to remove it image

• Ooh, some good races this weekend, especially the super-fast 10 milers and the gold medals. image

I did 48.7 miles this week, Bus. image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I was actually anticipating accusations of having an extreme form of OCD, namely course measurer's OCD, where you add an extra .1 just to make sure.  image

• You lot really are OCD, I actually did 46.9, I rounded up.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Now you are all just being cruel....

• 45.67 for me. Kilometres. And well done on Saturday Matt. Not that you mentioned it.

SG:  I have a train ticket for a week on Friday. LFoM. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 24.0km exactly for last week's running total. Only 90.7km on the bike.

Some good racing this weekend Bus, Dean, Phil & Scott.

There were no obstacles on the CX and the course was dry and dusty with a small bit of mud. I'd blagged a bike so didn't even need to clean it. 4th overall image in the Novice race (despite being told at the finish I'd come 2nd image ).

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Woo-hoo, great stuff Scott.  Really decent time off so many injuries and set-backs, and without much in the way of race sharpness.  If you can make it stick, you should run some very fast times next year.

Bus, hopefully the slow-down isn’t permanent, and it’s worth a period of rest to see if you can re-set.  Comedy splits though.

Dean, yet another medal to add to your burgeoning collection.  You make me sick.

Nice 10 PMJ, notice on FB that the Datchet fun bus turned up for that. Hopefully your mara predictions come true.

Dunno what CX is Iron, but well done anyway.

I always like to have an extra 0.1 for all my runs, because I don’t like round numbers on my log, it looks too inaccurate.

I tried the recommended contraption of a compeed blister pad covered in KT tape for my run home from work on Friday, and it was pretty painful.  However, I left it on and didn’t run Saturday and Sunday, and I managed to run to work pain-free this morning, which is jolly good.  Hoping now to be able to add to my miserable total of 39 miles for the last three weeks.

• It was Gaffa tape that worked for me, proper heavy duty stuff and a few layers of it image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I have quite hairy legs, and I would be seriously worried about the removal phase.

• This was just on my heel, I don't have hairy heels. You have arm warmers, shave your legs and you'll be half way to being a triathlete....

• Good racing from PMJ, Dean and Scott and Iron in the Wacky races image.

I was in the AG gang, having about 11 pints from 11.30- 10.30 on Saturday on my day out in Manchester watching the South Coasts finest getting battered 5-1 by Man City. So not time to go out Saturday am and too rough yesterday. (Wasn't sick at least..)

Need to start the long runs again I think..far too slovenly at the mo..

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good races all round. Especially Dean for the gold medal, and Scott for showing that easy running can work in surprising ways.

Dachs. Bus and rest! wash your mouth out.

To paraphrase a line from Bon Jovi, "He'll run while he's alive and rest when he's dead". image

As for the suspect knee. After a few weeks of strange pains which came and went, and then returned at pace. I really thought that was that. 

Three days later it's as though there has been nothing there at all. I can only imagine that Fridays' run 'unstuck' something or that something previously hooked up came undone.

I might go for a run tomorrow. However, I may delay. I quite like the feeling of not walking with a limp.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Ace racing going on at the weekend - great stuff!  That 10 mile time off easy running is tremendous Scott!  Another gold for Dean, and really solid time PMJ!

Achilles been giving me a bit of bother since early last week to the point that I abandoned the session on Wednesday as a precaution really - it was tight but no pain as such.  Took a couple of days off then did a really slow 30 mins on Saturday - felt fine.  Slow 25-30 mins followed by a progressive 3 miles of (about) 8 min/mile, 7:40/mile, 7:05/mile.  Achilles felt pretty much okay - a tiny bit tight now and again.

Gave it a proper test today on a 1 mile @ threshold (90); 1200m @ 10k (75); 800m @ 5k (60); 1200m @ 10k (75); 1 mile @ threshold.  It was planned for the track but circumstances meant on the road, undulating.  Track target would have been 3:52/km / 3:42/km / 3:35/km and on the road it came out as:

3:53/km / 3:42/km / 3:35/km / 3:42/km / 3:50/km.

Can't argue with that - and no issues with the achilles, so game on.  Hopefully have a bash at Parkrun on Saturday then Brodie Castle 10k on 1st November. image 

• Thanks everyone, as you said Dachs + Dean hopefully I can build on this and have a really fast 2016. 

CC82 + Ric- It does go to show what can happen with a change of focus in training (Easy / steady running to HR) , I assume I can go faster with sessions over time but I clearly have improved my aerobic base which was the main goal. Out of 13 weeks, so about 80 runs for me only 6 were below 6m/m and classed as sessions, and the rest of the miles totalling them up came out averaging 7:03 m/m over the weeks! 

I think I splitted 27:45 / 27:59 yesterday so pretty happy there too

Top session by you CC as well and hopefully the achilles doesn't get worse! 

Ric - Good news about the knee then! 

Having an easy week post the race and re starting a new program next week. Goal is Hampshire XC champs 10 weeks or so from now I think.. Looking at the lads that will be running I'll be lucky to get a vest though!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Found a good article.

When Speedwork Sabotages your Gains./ Runners World

Makes sense. 

🙂

• Lying in bed again half asleep after a Luton session. It was 6x1200 half o grass half on road. First one a bit rusty with 3.48, then 3.43, 3.46,3.47,3.45, 3.44. Happy with those and god I was hanging a bit on the last one!,

Good news with the Achilles CC82!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good reps Simon and CC82.

Scott, it's certainly a mighty target to try to get a Hampshire cross country vest, good luck with that one.  I shall be trying to get a county vest again, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be a bit tougher than last time.

Track tonight for the first time in ages.  Think I might start quite steady and see how I go.

• SC - Rusty starting at 5 m/m paceimage - Nice work

Yes Dachs. 

Looking at the names over the last 2 years plus fresh faces. YIKES. In fact if they all turn up, the top 10 will be 30:xx or better 10 km runners!

Hope track workout is good. I'm easing through this week but feel good post race. 1st session in new build up next week on Monday. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, good reps chaps - glad to see some training happening image. Where's everyone else?

3rd day of no running for me today and a 4th to follow tomorrow. No real issues, but just thought a few days break would do me some good after feeling jaded and sore pretty much constantly recently. I also want to have fresh legs for some serious climbing in the Lakes from Saturday! 2 x15M ish on the bike Tuesday and tomorrow just to burn some calories, and maybe a session Friday - we'll see.

Matt - are you starting to build the carbs form tomorrow or still depleting until Friday?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I best get a post in, been a bit busy with ting.

Good weekend of racing. Medal boy Dean, "Proper 10m time at last" boy Scott, Holding back the years boy Phil, and do a very hard course and worry you're getting slower even though it's a very slow course that Stevie G's best was only a gnat's penne under 40mins on...erm boy.

As for me, headphones died just before yesterday's attempt at a "full" 6m MP session. Was slightly alarmed the breathing sounded a bit fierce, but comfortably came out 6.03 average even rampaging across town. But that's the first time I've done a full session of that nature without any mental stimulation, so glad to pass that barrier. Probably a little further off racing than I hoped though.

Other than that, pissing about trying to deal with some root canal treatment needed. Had hoped to hold off until November to claim a bit of it back off work, but am way too pansy, so Friday is the horrid day. £400 minimum private, or £228 maximum NHS. not much of a decision!  When I was poking around in my mouth, found a tooth right at the top that can only be a wisdom tooth, so hopefully that doesn't ruck things up further down the line either...ho hum!

(ed...didn't this used to be about the racing?)

Scott, just read that you think 12x1k at 10k pace is a reasonable session on another thread! Remind me never to follow your plans, or that'll finally finish me! I'm already 90% finished and just holding on to pose to people at work I run so much...don't make me hit that final 10% image

ps Aley...have a good race old son. I pledge one day I will join you for another one there.
    disclaimer(above pledge is dependent on getting all clear next month, and ever feeling 100% again)

keep it all going folks.

• Ta SG - and regards that thread,  I honestly think it's ok but only as Dean said maybe twice or so in a big build up, it would need big recovery too. But I CBA to go into everything else. 

Now I'm panicking about my planned 3 x 15" session on Monday as to what pace I think I can run image 

Nice MP session though. And Jesus christ about dentist treatment, although I know it can be very pricey but it is worth it. My brother has just had the full works. Probably in excess of 20 grand done. Well it has taken over 10 years on and off but paid for NHS.. I turned down the treatment as I was hoping to join the army back in 07/08 but never happened and then got removed from the list!