Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ric...that's what I'm hoping for, haven't had it yet image

Fair play to any cyclists at all really, I really wouldn't fancy balancing on a couple of thin rubber strips being a couple of metres from vehicles flying past! 

• Should see them down Euston road. Need a death wish to cycle down there.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Back to a busy racing weekend for me; 1st finisher (!) at Bracknell pr though only 19'18 as its a hilly course and mostly woodland. Then Fleet 10k today 38'18 for 30th and 2nd v50 with a prize that just covered the entry feeimage Running purists on here will tick me off for running a hard pr and a race the next day, but was going to take pr lightly till I realized a rare (for me) first was up for grabs.

• Pete- sod the purists, good bit of gain there, good running! Us park run winners ehimage
  • Well done Pete. I had just read that on the Bracknell parkrun news.

Purists - you had 16s on 2nd place according to the results. Anyhow, nice first finisher!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Always take the win Pete, there will be other 10k's. Congratsimage

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

cheers all, only just over a minute a mile slower than your 'win' Simon, must be the harder courseimage

• Good runs Pete/SC. Nice long run SG, you seem to be ticking along nicely.

Wife's 40th this week so Friday and Saturday were written off. i did such a good job I was allowed a double today. 3 hrs on the bike this morning, 51 miles with a few hills then 6 mile easy run. The actual bday is tomorrow but I have a pass for a long run! Good job because I only got 18 in this week,

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice Parkrunning Pete and with the 2nd v50. Was you in with a shout of climbing first vet50 or didn't you know until afterwards?

It always seems a decent field at Poole SC. that's a great time for a Parkrun IMO as I just find them so bloody hard.

Nice double AG. Your wife might have thought you'd get too drunk to get out for a double today.image

Pretty eventful last few days for myself. Checked the weather for Dublin on Thursday and it was forecast 45mph gusts. Thoughts of scrapping going all together but then noticed Leicester marathon was today. Luckily they had on the day entries (??50) and the my flight was only 30 odd quid. Cut my carb deplete short and then swapped my hotel on Friday.

Travelled to leicester yesterday afternoon on my own and luckily the race was 3/4 mile away from where I was staying.

Saw an article with a few names mentioned with one being a 2.19 marathoner from 2011 but he's had a rough ride with injuries since. My own goal was 'hoping' to run close to 2.30 but thought a 2.32 was possible. Had messages Dave Tune who did my lactate test last year and he advised on what hr to target as the race went on so I was in two minds as to go for pace or make sure I didn't blow a gasket early doors.

Pretty comfortable first 6 miles around 5.45 pace until the 1/2 marathon runners split and found myself in a bunch of 3 of us doing the full. One being the 2.19 chap and another lad looking for 2.35. Pace dropped slightly with a few lumps and bumps and still kept checking Hr to pace to see how I was going. Kept getting thoughts of 'what if I win' etc but then had a word and realised there was a long way to go and anything could happen.

Through 10 in 57.30ish and feeling ok and by half way it was 1.16 dead with just me and the 2.16 chap who was always 1-2 yards behind or just off my shoulder. By this point I'd made up my mind to keep my HR steady and not to push too hard as I was working pretty hard anyway. I'd been told to empty the tank at the end and was really fearful of cramping/blowing/dying towards the business end.

Had a bit of a chat with the fella around 17 miles and told him I knew he'd run a 2.19 in 2011 and told him my PB was 3.30 from the same year! He said he got injured after that and had not run a decent marathon since. Suppose you never know when you've run your best race do you. Made me think a bit.

We hit a hill around 20-21 miles and out of nowhere I realised I had a bit of a lead. Head was all over the shop, quads were like lead, but just tried to keep it honest and not look back. Course got a bit tricky then with some undulations, twists, tight turns etc on single paths by the canal/river and in parks which meant there was no rhythm at all. Also started taking over some 1/2 mara runners on the way into the centre.

City centre was really busy with people and the route went straight through it. Got a bit emotional when I thought I had it won about 24 miles with everyone cheering me. A surreal experience really. Then hit the dreaded hill with I think is about a mile long at the end. Certainly felt like it. Felt like I was doing 10 min miles up there but I knew the finish was around the corner at the top. Really pleased to win in 2.34.38 with second place running 2.38.

Hopefully more to come with a kinder last 10k and a bit more race sharpness. Barring a parkrun and a 5k really I don't recall doing anything quicker than target MP pace which I think I'll do more of next time. That meant that 5.40-45 pace always felt really hard work throughout my 10 weeks training.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Matt.  Congrats

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete, must admit, I'd completely missed you were in the 50s, had you down for a decade younger. One of my many many errors from pen pics! Seems a nice enough double to me. I haven't ever won a parkrun, and I've done 4 now, so never knock a win!

Matt  - now that's a win! Must be a heck of an experience over such a long race. Utter concentration at every turn I imagine, from my limited time leading races! You can enjoy some time floating on air for a week or so now!

AG, that's some nice stats. Do you fancy running more when having just cycled, or is it a bind to get out again?

Sunday off for me, 340mile round trip to Old Trafford and back for a .... 0-0 draw! image.  Always love to take a day off work after such a trip, so tomorrow will be a lovely sleep in, and then probably just a single, probably a 6, rather than the usual Monday 6&4.  Might be the time to have a crack at a parkrun myself in the upcoming weeks somewhere.

After the Great South run today, got a text through saying first 1,000 entries for 2016 get £10 off, and it's a "mere", £31!

Was tempted for a short time, then realised these last couple of years show me I certainly cannot be committing to anything too far away timewise, especially not when it's also 80miles drive!

• Brilliant Matt! I know Leicester well having spent the first 18 years of my life there! Deceptively hilly: great training ground but not the best for racing! Excellent decision to ditch Dublin! Don't think you will knock 55 minutes off next time! Re-hydrate well!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Well done Matt, top work. Nice to get a win as well.

SG - Actually the run helped loosen the legs, I wanted to do 10 but I was worried I would use up too many credits for the long run tomorrow!

• Haha, a surprise marathon win! That's excellent, Matt. image

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Brilliant result Matt, that is a proper win and must be a fantastic feeling. So many people screw up marathons so running that time on an undulating course is amazing.

Re your question I was over 30 secs off 1st v50 so well beaten really. On the plus side just looked at the official results and was 28th out of 960 not 30th as they told me! 

• Super super stuff Matt! And changing race last minute duly paid off!!!

Well earned. Crazy about that 2:19 chap. As we have had some experience in long last PBs you really never know what's around the corner!!

Is it another marathon build up or use this work for a 10km plan ?

Good weekend for you Pete! Nice 10km
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to hopefully just do some Xc and fell races over the winter. I may do the Ribble Valley 10k over Christmas but won't be targeting it.

He ran the marathon in some NB racing flats that looked like they were made of paper. Didn't have any socks on either. He just looked as though he'd done it a million times. Arms folded on the startline, carried no gels as he just picked them up on the course and no gps watch so just raced to feel.

Just looked like a proper racer.
  • Found out from Matt on Twitter about the winnings..??50! Bloody cheek! No doubt they will go on about directing money to charity whilst making the company a tidy profit, as bloody usual.
  • Great win there Matt. I knew a few others running (one finished 7th in the half) and this morning  I googled "leicester marathon results 2015" and the first thing I see is "Leicester Marathon: Matthew Lalor springs a surprise to be crowned champion"

Time to update your profile pic

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/Article/images/28050405/11233036.jpg

• I laughed when I read that headline yesterday, brilliant.

I popped out for a long run this morning but misjudged it slightly, I ran along the Thames but soon realised it was going to be longer than the 14-16 miles I planned.

Flagged for the last few miles on just a bowl of cereal and ended up doing 18.3 @ 7:34.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good grief Matt, cracking stuff.  Can't be too many people entering marathons on the day and then winning them!  Great to see the hard work you've put in paying off, even if it wasn't the flat course you needed for the time you had been hoping for earlier in training.  Great stuff, and a bit of rivalling Dean for his media-whoredom.

Suspect all of this training will also pay off in terms of shorter race times in a few months time as well.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha Phil. I'm on an iPad or iPhone when i come on here so can't seem to upload a profile pic to this site. Tried multiple times. image could do with a haircut!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Wow Matt - that's astounding stuff!  I had my best crack yet at "winning" a Parkrun but notched up another second.

A bit of a weird overall story... I was going for sub 18 on a new Parkrun (only its second week).  One of my clubmates ran the previous week and he's been quicker than me but I thought I'd have a crack at beating him.  He went off fast and I kept him in sight and figured I'd just try and rein him in.  Overtook the guy in 2nd, then my clubmate at about halfway so I was actually in the lead for the first time in my life.  The other guy overtook me about a km later, so I was chasing him with about 1.5km to go but he looked strong and put a bit of a lead in.  Uphill finish and I was on track all the way round for sub 18 pace, my clubmate put in a final push but I managed to kick and hold him off.  Stopped the watch and it was reading 17:24!!

I was absolutely stoked...

It then transpired that my clubmate had missed a turn and we'd missed a small bit of the course!!  The first 6 all ran slightly short, so they just added a bit of time on so we didn't lose our time etc.  I was awarded 17:58, so officially my 5k PB is now 17:58 but it feels a little hollow because I didn't actually run that.  I ran 4.86km @ 3:35/km according to my Garmin...

Ah well - 10k race on Sunday - I'm going to go after sub 37 and see what happens...  (That clubmate I beat on Saturday ran 35:13 on a notoriously fast course a couple of weeks ago...)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bad luck CC, but like you say you can't accept an "adjusted" time, or we'd all just smash a part of a course, then purposely take a short route, knowing they'll adjust it to a new pb image

you've no need to worry though, pbs will legitimately roll for you very soon I'm certain.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Interesting run CC! Sounds like a fair decision they made but also goes to show why parrkun times are not 'proper' times even though they are on PO10. I'm pretty sure that parkrun courses vary in distance a fair bit. One local to us that has been going about 6 years recently added over 100 meters as they found it had been 'short'!

May as well just run a real 5k on tarmac somewhere and you'll breeze under 18image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just a quick pop-in as technology is giving me gyp - especially my bloody garmin, which seems to die on the first long run of every holiday and never works when the clocks change!!!

Any road - Matt, bloody well done! Proper professionalism to take the decision about Dublin and then crack out a first place for an EOD! With decent racing haircut you'd have cracked 2;30 tooimage. Just a taste of what's to come I reckon ...

Weird stuff CC, but still a good result!

Pete - nice double and well done on the FFPR!

Hols in the Lakes for me at the mo. Nice long fell run yesterday, despite the garmin dying and getting "misplaced" in the mist. Quick run up Wansfell this evening - fantastic sunset and full moon-rise from the top and back just in time before it got too dark to be hurling yourself down a mountainside.....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete, the "parkrun" lottery to a tee!  Years ago they used to split them out, MT, NAD, some certified, and some classed as 5k.

I had a 2hour round trip to Dulwich to smack a sub 17, as it was one of the few that were fast, certified and "5K".

2 weeks later, they roped the whole crock into the term "parkrun". One of my top 36 reasons I dislike parkruns.

I remember Phil abusing some guy who'd done about 73,000 sub 3 hour marathons once. Yet, "racking up" sh!ttones of parkruns to get "t shirts" seems to somehow be a thing image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(disclaimer..may have been less than  73,000, and was also sub 3.30) ahem.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

lol SG; even though I stand guilty of racking up loads of parkruns its sure not for the t shirts and even less the varying standards of course measurement! What is MT by the way? And NAD (Near as Dammit?)