Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

couldn't quite work out the route from their site. But i do hate it when they change established courses. Ruins any idea of comparison for starters.

Marlow half was known for 2 key features - Rotten Row, the 12mile downhill. To take the former out, and piss about with the second is just pure chicanery.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, i'll do well to dress this years racing up into too much of a positive. I guess masquerading as an elite at Reading was the highlight! And the 7th place medal at that 5k image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Believe or not the Cabbage Patch 10 route used to follow the main road instead of heading off down the Thames towpath.

Where we now have to climb some steps to cross the bridge at 9 miles, in the past we would have appeared from the right (at speed) and kept going straight ahead instead of returning to the towpath.

It's evolved over time to avoid traffic. I imagine that one day we'll have to run in the river itself image. Like Marlow the other year.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah CP. In my "must do again" list. Well, probably actually doing another 10miler, it's been 3 years now!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, think it was 33:40 for me. Perfect pacing it was.

• Ah - Ric, that explains why I didn't come close to challenging Nerurkar's record then image

The Rotten Row Hill in Marlow has been replaced by another equally challenging at a similar point in the proceedings think, but I've no idea how they deal with the road crossing - looks pretty dodgy to me!

@**! sake !!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The way to deal with major road crossings in races is either have them right at the start, or in the case of long races, right at the end.

The dynamics of this ensures the entire field clears the obstacle at the start in a few minutes en mass. At the other end, the runners should be spaced out enough to allow incandescent motorists a chance to exercise their meaningless consumer existences without endangering the lives of living people.

One edition of the Hillingdon HM had a major road crossing at around four miles. There were 1600 runners in that race running between 5 minute and 15 minute mile pace. Do the maths. Bedlam!!

🙂

• Christmas review? Is that worth a commemorative plate?

10k split on my way to 71:28 was 33:3x, ~50 seconds slower than 10k pb. The HM was perhaps a marginally better performance, so 10k + 1 minute sounds about right to me.  Could be some interesting new data points from the Wokingham HM next year!

It's really bloody wet and windy.  Must be time for my first XC race of the season.  image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

pp & Dachs are you doing Wokingham?  How fast and flat is it.?

• One of the fastest in the south Dean. The only thing close to hills are a couple of motorway bridges (mind you, on the way back, the 10 mile point is half way up the biggest of these and it can hurt trying to target a specific time for 10!). It's also on good roads which are pretty much all closed, and with a reasonably big field at the sharp end.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - as flat a half as I've run, and a good field so there are usually groups to run with whatever you're targeting. Yes, I'm in for next year. Go on, get involved, we may end up with a similar target. It's 4 miles from my house as well, so I can always offer you a cup of tea before you head back up Norf.

If you're up for it, you need to get your entry in though, as it fills up, particularly since last year's entries were just carried over from the previous years cancellation, so there's a year's suppressed demand.

Cried off cross country today, for all manner of reasons. I've had a sore throat come on this morning, so the prospect of pissing rain and 40mph winds if I'm getting ill seems idiotic. Plus I'd have to make my kids stand around in it too, as my wife has commitments, and I also have to redecorate my youngest's bedroom. I like this course, so it's a shame, but it wouldn't have been a good idea for any of us.

Bus, the shocking part of it is how comfortable that 33:40 felt.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wokingham's back to normal isn't it Dachs? Wasn't it 2014 that got called off, meaning 2015 was a waiting list job if you weren't on the original list (like me, so I had to weasel in), whereas 2016 coming, is just a first come first serve free for all?

• Dachs - We can add another to Mahameds record today - Winning at MK today, taking Ben Dijkstra down (Youth Olympic triathlon gold and 14:28 5km)

Loved the Samir thread and banter. JD in action today and race under way now and I do hope he took some advice Dean. I can take some credit then

PP and the rest regarding a 33:xx split in the HM I maybe not working the math but I thought it would be quicker for a 71/72 HM.. Makes me feel that's in reach.

Everyone seems to be looking good and running well
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, yes, that's what I meant. So there will be people who wanted to enter last year but couldn't, so it might be popular this time.

• Jonny D!!!!
  • Rub it in Dachs, why not image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/injury.jpg

Have to remember there are two and a bit 10k's in a HM. I've done sub 35 minute average once, some here have managed sub 34 minutes. A clubmate of mine managed sub 31 minutes and Mo Farah, quicker.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I think I went through 10k in sub 34 when I ran 71.19. Like Dachs said, its ridiculous just how comfortable it feels at the time. I know I ran a decent negative split as the first 2 miles were 5.35s. There was a 54.01 10 mile over the last 10 miles which is 1 second slower than my PB.

Couple of weeks pissing about, drinking far too much, eating far too much and probably running a bit too quick everyday. Been working away so it's been a case of working 6.40am til 7.15pm, quick blast of a run and get back, showered and in the pub. Doesn't help that there's about 7 of us all staying in a wetherspoons. Currently looking for a new job as it looks like them hours could be on the cards for the next few years.

I'd sooner see my daughter grow up though than work silly hours and spend my nights in hotels all over the country.

It rains a lot in Wales too! image
  • Agree with you Matt, I don't get paid overtime for a start and my salary isn't great. Although I don't live with my daughter I'd be dammed if I did 12 hour days again. Those house worked I could be seeing her or at least enjoying my own time!

My little one is at school next year and yours is too I'm guessing so that's time taken again!

Run time soon! Dachs I don't think running at popham would have been worth anything on the conditions anyway. More productive days to be had
  • 14 with bus in the mud today. If your ears burned then we were talking about you.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

12 hour shifts! Screw that for a lark!

Made up another 60mile week with a 13. A version of the Wycombe half marathon route, so started with a mile at 7.13 or so, 7.45 ish for an uphill mile, and then seemed to settle in the 6.40ish terrain without undue effort for an overall 6.48 average.

Rib inflammation/breathing thing has tediously hung around, moving from under the left side of ribs in May/June (awkward but raceable), to the front of the ribs post Wycombe half (breathing impacted, hard sessions gentle eased in/no races doable) to now sort of round the back of the other side of the ribs (feels like someone has poked me with a stick, but doesn't seem to impact breathing)...let's hope step 4 is "just fine" and that's shortly! Last test Tue..to finally dispel any heart worries. Would be a cruel sting in the tail now, having done 60mile weeks for 2months, with the last 2 weeks proper full session weeks!

• Have they totally ruled out some sort of viral infection? That's what it sounds like, what with shifting around the lungs and ribs.

Sounds very unpleasant though whatever it is - as does doing the Wycombe Half route, even at a pretty decent pace like that!! You should have come with me and Philip - a real mud-fest, but beautiful autumnal colours, rolling hills and good conversation. It didn't rain either - bonus!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed its nothing serious and doesn't last too much longer SG.

12 hour shifts? pah! I did a 36 hour shift once, though that is of course illegal, plus it was as a security guard so I wasn't doing anything really except sitting around pressing buttons to raise a barrier for lorries.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not entirely sure some stuff can show up on tests.

I've had ECG, blood test, ecto cardiogram, chest x ray so far. Tuesday is another ecto, and whizz test.

Whatever it is goes all the way back to May, as I raced that Marlow 5 a bit wheezy, albeit it feeling alright. That's one hell of a timescale to be impacted by stuff. Good job I love it. image

Is increasing the desire to get back amongst some races though. Racing one feeling 100% will be amazing after pretty much most of the year's racing being either underpar comeback stuff, or breathing affected!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A good blast at a 5k will get your lungs firing SG!image

I've done a couple of 24 hour shifts which weren't nice. I remember my eyes burning in the early hours. Didn't help that we were lumping 6metre lengths of 4" steel pipes around either. It was compensated by the fact that it was double time as it was the weekend.

It's not so much the 12 hour days as a job im looking at going to is 12 hour shifts albeit just 12 days work a month compared to around 22 days a month now, its the fact it's away from home every week and I don't want to be missing my daughter growing up but seeing all the local wetherspoons pisspots around the country instead. image
  • PhilipMJones wrote (see)

CC82 never knock a PB especially if ou coem away thinking you can knock more off it in the future.

Monthly stats in late due to flying back from the US. Hope Iron got into the air yesterday, luckily the fog did not stop us landing and got a very unusual view of the sky scrapers in Docklands sticking out above the fog.

Cheers Phil - work was busy. We were bus'd out to the plane where we stood for some time until finally being let on to find 2 of the 4 toilets down the back were broken. Then we had a 2hour wait on the ramp. We were lucky, BA had cancelled some 100 flights that day. On the plus side I gave up dinner and alcohol on the flight home for 5 hours sleep image

Very nice 10km CC, epic.

Cheeky new photo there Deanimage

Ric I was obviously deemed not fast enough to trouble your immigration chappy in LHR.

Sensible decision Matt. My daughter was 11 months old when I started the crazy travelling and it wasn't until some years later I threw my toys out of the cot.

SG - Chin up.

So less that 24hrs after arriving back after an action packed week in the US I raced the Box Hill Ballbuster duathlon (8mi/24mi/8mi). Each lap includes the box hill climb (3 laps on the bike). It was very late in the season and I had intended to maintain fitness after my September long-distance outing but the cranky achilles put paid to that. So in the end it was complete rather than compete but I hit some pacing goals whilst I was out there, run#1 and bike at least.

A couple of weeks' rest for me now.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

http://youtu.be/2gF-KyopKzs

finished in 27th in the Birmingham XC league...my highest ever placing.  A mud bath and very heavy on the legs.  limited chances to get a high pace going.  Managed 5.55 ave pace which bearing in mind it's the only race I have felt like retching at the end shows how hard I pushed it.  This league has loughborough uni, birchfield harriers, Cheltenham, Birmingham uni etc so when a 31.20 chap finishes 17th it shows the calibre.  The YouTube above shows the ditch jump which we had to take 3 times.  I appear on the far side in about 52 secs in.  

Also some absolute fookwit cyclist was asked by the marshals if he could wait a few secs as 700 odd runners were about to come past....apparently he mouthed off to the marshals saying its a free country blah blah blah and can go where he likes...so he waited for the lead pack and walked out in front using his bike as a blockade as they just managed to dodge him giving him a couple of robust shoves and then saw the swarm of runners descending and moved....still mouthing off about his right to wander.  The police were called too. He was the type of person who gives cyclists a bad name...knows all the laws but zero common sense and the smart time for their application.

sg - hope the all clear come through soon

• Hi All - Good run Dean - had a look at the ressies and that is a strong league, don't think I would have been that high up, especially with the mud too!

Good 10k CC, Shame about the DNS Dachs, family life strikes again!

So 32nd in the Surrey League at the weekend, actually quite pleased at the end, a few muddy bits but not too bad, one gert hill and a 2 lapper. As with most of these 2 lappers, had a bad patch at the start of the 2nd lap, but got a 2nd wind. Stronger field on Saturday and was 32nd last time, so a bit of progress, still more to come though. Got to wish PP good luck for next weekend in Dublin.

Really tough 16 miler on Sunday through Wing, Cublington, Stewkley, and back to Leighton. Pretty hilly North Bucks all the way round. Well it was 15 back into the town centre, a stretch, then basically a crawl home, legs nearly as bad as post Berlin! Felt ok today though gladly!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good race Simon

Phil pub - remember its been decades since the v40 england team has failed to win team gold.   both RobT and I have team golds from our home international masters debut....so no pressure!!! image

• Dean - sounds like the guy at the Reading HM who waited patiently at a pelican crossing for the pedestrian light to turn green then crossed through a huge swathe of runners.

Twat.