Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• IronCat - It takes balls to get round the Ballbuster at all I reckon.  Good work.

Simon - Good run on Saturday. I'm glad you reckon it was a strong field, I reckon my even-crapper-than-usual start probably had me outside the top 100 at one point.  image

...59th place for me (55th scoring runner) and 9th scorer for the club. Still feels like the sharpness is coming back week-by-week.  Next week's race is probably coming up a couple of weeks too soon but I'm a little less anxious about it than I was. Main ambition is basically to make the scoring four, and otherwise not embarrass myself too much.  Hopefully bring back some bling to keep Dean happy.  image

Um... silly question.  Can I get away with carrying spikes in hand luggage on the flight to Dublin?  Ryanair's small print makes reference to various metallic objects which they think can be used as weapons, but cross country spikes don't get a mention.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

PP - i took my spikes without the spikes in them in hand luggage and kept the screw in spikes in my main luggage in hold.  as you will probably take your 15's and they will defn cause issues with security.  i would also take anything you need for the race that cant be easily replaced in your hand luggage.  so if the worst happens and your luggage gets delayed you can still race

• Cheers Dachs & Dean.

Iron - that will be the 'great British public'. My example was the nutter driving down the main road at 12.30am at 50 mph with no lights on. And serving at me when I held my arms out incredulously at him!

PP - Stronger than the last race at least. Was everyone allowed back in the Crooked Billet after last month? image

• Cheers PP.

My Garmin and charger always travel hand luggage (as do bike shoes and helmet when travelling with bike). All other replaceable crap goes in the hold if checking luggage in.
  • Great racing Dean and Simon! That water jump is a classic - some real epic fails in there image

• Cheers Dean/IC - To be honest, I'm trying to be a cheapskate with hand luggage only  but maybe I'll go mad and pay for some baggage allowance.  I'll be able to take an extra pair of shoes and some more clobber I suppose.  Plus the England vest and hoodie will take up extra space on the return flight.  image

• Simon - I cleared off straight after the race for an important beer/cake/fireworks appointment, but I haven't seen any incriminating photos on social media, so it looks like it was a civilised affair.

• We has a horse on the TVXC course last year, I seem to remember.

IC - I thought about the BB but I decided it was too late in the year to be racing the bike so fair play to you.

39 miles last week, finished with 13 hilly off road muddy miles. It was a great run but legs are a bit sore today. Just a 4 mile recovery run today.

Good luck on the weekend PP. First TVXC this Sunday, anyone on here planning on being there?

• Iron, sorry, missed your post somehow! Respect for completing the BB - sounds a beast of an event!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

writing this on a minimised screen that just about lets me read what i'm writing..so will catch up on the above laters!

Busy morning today, am trying to keep to the general structure of a Moz week, so did another 6m MP. Mental side I think was the issue today, as I kept thinking, is this too hard work, yet came out almost exactly on 6.00 dead pace (35.59 for 6miles!), so can't be too bad

Felt a little guilty as I almost clattered an old woman, but it was one of those unfortunate scenarios where cars boxed me in so i couldn't go on the road, and the  comfortable gap that was there went down to minimal levels right at the point of passing! Luckily i squeezed into skinniest weasel sideon form and it was a light brush if anything. I did shout some "sorrys" in a high pitched voice as i monstered off.

Hour at work, then off for this (hopefully) last appointment! Odd morning!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - you're doing a lot of stuff at MP (good run by the way), and at the same time wondering about lack of sharpness.  I know you're doing some 200s and the odd session, but they're quite low volume.  You seem to be very fit in a 'general' sense, with those medium long runs coming in at sub 7s, so I can't help thinking some big sessions or races might help you get that top-end back.  Seems to work for me.

Good XCing Dean, Simon and PP in your respective very competitive leagues.  I saw some pictures of a mud bath at the Birmingham XC on Facebook, I'm assuming it's the same one Dean's talking about.

IC, nice work in the Ballbuster.  I have an unwritten rule that I will never compete in any event with a descriptive term for how hard it is in the title.  'Grim', 'Tough', 'Gut-Buster', 'Grizzly' etc, these are all things that I will avoid like the plague.

• Dachs wrote (see)
    IC, nice work in the Ballbuster.  I have an unwritten rule that I will never compete in any event with a descriptive term for how hard it is in the title.  'Grim', 'Tough', 'Gut-Buster', 'Grizzly' etc, these are all things that I will avoid like the plague.

I also like to avoid races that have the word 'hill' in the name.

• Not done any of those novelty races either, too bloody hard generally. I don't mind honest descriptions, they would be good.

'Not actually that flat' Reading Half?

• I'd generally agree with that for any of those obstacle/deliberate mudfest type races, but the Grizzly is supposed to be a good race. I like anything that involves hills, unless it's a road race then I want it as flat as possible!

Talking of events with unusual names, I entered Herbert's Hole last night (phnar, phanr!).  As I've reported before, as much as anything it's to be able to say the next day "I came 17th in Hebert's Hole yesterday. It was pretty slippery after everyone else had been through..."

Ahem. Good session SG.

Mine today was tempo/progression - 7:27, 6:28, 6:14, 6:01, 5:58, 5:57, 7:18 warm down. So first 10k in 39:15. The first 2 6min miles felt relatively comfortable, which was nice, given the wind!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

dachs, might be very true in a normal situation, but although i am putting good mileage and nice paces in, the tempos very much show that all is not well, and it's my wishful thinking only that suggests a race is every happening again!

Just been to the hospital for the latest round... summary as below

• ECG  turns out this was actually "abnormal" and not "fine" as the receptionist told me months back!
    • Ectocardigram - apparently some slight leak (!), but pretty much ok. Have an "athletic heart" apparently, which doesn't have to be an issue, but symptoms and family history mean they're cautious...

Next steps - 48hour ECG device strapped on me - no running.
    Thursday - Treadmill test (as I think Aley suggested a while ago)

To come..MRI scan

Guy doing the Ecto said i have a very low heart rate, but that's just fit runner stuff. He did worry me by saying he had one guy with a low heart rate before, who had to stop completely, but that was 20 beats a min! Mine was 50 or so...not sure how usual that is, I had done a tempo a few hours earlier!!

So sort of worrying times...with a bit of..but i'm doing 60miles a week fairly comfy... Could go either way, will be delighted if i can continue as per usual, but am slightly prepared for them to say "that's it son..it's bowls and gentle walks for you"

• Sounds a bit worrying SG. As you say though, I can't imagine it can be anything major given the training you've been doing with no ill effect. Best of luck with the tests though and we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that it's not the bowls option! You'd be a terrible bowler image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - i had the same stuff 2 yrs ago and had the MRI etc...whilst i didnt listen to anyone saying i would be fine..the abnormality reading is caused by me being an athlete...everything came out fine.  me saying dont worry wont help you... as you will worry , i did.   but dont think the worst...for example i havent done so bad with the abnormality the past 2 years. image  im sure you will be back racing.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

I'd generally agree with that for any of those obstacle/deliberate mudfest type races, but the Grizzly is supposed to be a good race.

Not saying they're all novelty races.  Just that I'm not running them.

• Fair enough.

SG - I remember when I spent a week in hospital a few years ago, whenever there was a different nurse or doctor (which was about twice a day!) and they looked at my hear rate, they were worried it was low and I had to explain why it wasn't!

• Coincidentally I entered the Gutbuster yesterday image. I am with Bus on the hills off road.

SC mentions the Reading Half hill again! I felt like that about Milton Keynes, that wasn't flat either.

I got referred for heart tests. A lot fit people seem to get picked up due to low heart rates and what appear to be murmurs etc. I didn't have to do the stress test though. I remember being disappointed as I fancied being rigged up to all those tubes on the treadmill. Anyway stay positive, sounds like you are in very good shape based on that MP run. You just need the green light to lay it down in some races. Good luck.

Nice progression run, Bus. 10k at lunch for me in 39:xx but still feeling sore from the weekends long run in the hills. Was thinking tempo for a couple of miles but decided I couldn't be bothered after a couple of miles.

• All the best SG!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Think positive thoughts SG.

50bpm would seem fairly normal for a runner I'd have thought.  I keep an eye on my HR most days and it varies from about 49-65 depending on what I've been doing.  In fact, it's just over an hour since I ran (tame tempo workout with a bit of 10k pace and a bit of 5k pace) and my HR is sitting at 64bpm just now.

I've only been a runner for a couple of years, so I'd guess my average will creep down a bit over time.

When I was in the hospital last year for an op the nurse was always astonished at how low my HR was - resting it was down at low 40s sometimes.

• I'd say 50 is normal for a runner, I just checked mine at my desk and it was about 50. At complete rest it's nearer 40. Indurain's was 28!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I just re-checked mine and it's dropped back down to 49 - so yeah, I wouldn't worry about 50 at all!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll be fine SG. In a morning mine is usually around 40 bpm. Had it at 37 a few times.

That XC race at leamington looked epic. Saw the video of the bloke who lost his shoe in the knee deep mud with the crowd shouting 'leave the shoe! Leave the shoe!'

Tour of Pendle for me this week. Probably should be called Sould Destroying 17 mile yomp up a mountain'

Also got my entry to Auld Lang Syne fell race on New Year's Eve. Both Brownlee brothers usually there competing along with another triathlete mark Buckingham and that Varga bloke.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

May 28th 1988 I recorded a HR of 26!

🙂

• Hope all goes well with the treadmill test, SG.  Don't be scared of hitting it hard: you need to be close to your maximum effort from what I understand. Hope you are able to warm up properly: important!

Interesting how things have changed in our sport over the years: when I first started running in the mid 60s it was impossible to run with a stopwatch as they jolted all over the place. Now we have all sorts of gadgets.

Today I was talking with a sports medicine guy: he tells me that research is now being done into having chips implanted that will be able to provide all sorts of data. He reckons we may be 10 years away but that is the way that things may pan out. He also says that this may well lead to the end of drug cheats. And SG wouldn't need his treadmill test.

All this sounds very far fetched but if you had told me in the 60s that I would have been able to run with a heart rate monitor or a Garmin or an app on my mobile phone then I would have told you to stop dreaming and get real! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ee, try telling that to the kids of today eh?

26 Ric - that's lower than Miguel Indurain's famous 28 image. Were you in a coma at the time?image

Double mudfest for me today - 7.7 in daylight this morning and 5.6 in the dark tonight. Tonight's was faster, despite the dark.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, it isn't the heart rate that's any sort of problem by the way...it's the breathing/mysterious aches

ta for the thoughts though all...fingers crossed they don't give me any "stop, stop now" instructions tomorrow, as i'll carry on as I was. As to be honest, doing nothing, or doing 60miles a week don't seem to change anything, but the latter is a lot more mentally satisfying!