Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No not mistaken. That reading came in between days of 28 and 30 bpm.

At the time I was basically starving myself to get the weight down, and on the morning of the 26 bpm was also a bit under dressed. Torpor would be close.

I was also really fit at the time. Later that day, the uncle of my brother in law challenged me to a game of squash. I had never played before but after my brother in law had been thrashed into exhaustion by his uncle, I reckon the old guy fancied giving me the 'once over' as well.

Big mistake. 

Despite my lack of skill, I made up for it by being able to run him off the court, which I did. He quit with some excuse or other, looking like a beetroot.

I was barely breathing.

Forgot to mention my HR is in the mid 40's at the moment, but earlier in the year having dieted a stone off, it was in the low 30's again.

I had my resting HR under 40 bpm for years.

🙂

• SG - Just carry on regardless, that's what i'd do - rightly or wrongly image, hope treadmill goes ok.

I think I did about 36 bpm lying on the floor (well 6 in 10 seconds anyway..), presume that's what its like in deep sleep.

Bus - 'The Beast' is a good race - run by Poole AC over God's own country (Purbecks), basically the Grizzly's younger brother.

• Simon - I've spent a lot of time in the Purbecks over the years, so should give "The Beast" a go sometime....

All the very best of luck for tomorrow Matt - looks like you could be in for some wild weather!!!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I dropped out Bus and gave told them to pass my number on.

Knackered from work, a complete lack of any sort of hill running, a mojo that has vanished and being a bit rough off a few pints meant 17 mile on the fells with nearly 5000ft of climbing in the midst of Hurricane Abigail didnt seem such a good idea. image

Sealife centre instead with the the missus and daughter.
  • Probably for the best Matt and definitely can't say I blame you! There's always next year to get your name on that trophy image

• RicF wrote (see)

No not mistaken. That reading came in between days of 28 and 30 bpm.

At the time I was basically starving myself to get the weight down, and on the morning of the 26 bpm was also a bit under dressed. Torpor would be close.

So basically you were hibernating, Ric!

Seems very quiet on here lately. I don't have much to report, another week of easy running, 40 miles done. Will probably add 6 tomorrow at XC.

• Herbert's Hole tomorrow. Tough little race, and the weather/underfoot conditions won't help. Nor will going out tonight and drinking beer and eating fish and chips!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Andrew, I might as well be. I haven't run since image, well, quite a while.

🙂

• Bus- done the classic purbecks Sunday run with the old man many a time???? Few times with a hangover. Enjoy Herbert's hole! One of our old boys from LBAC is doingit too.

Just back from a successful afternoon at parly hill, managed to grab 1st V40 again, so happy with that, think I was 26th overall. Nice shiny South of England medal too. Running to Ridgemont near J13 M1 tomorrow then getting picked up by the missus on way to the St.Neots half.
  • Great racing Simon and very well done on the silverware!

Can't say I really feel like racing today...

• Just back - can be summarised as muddy, windy and blew up at 8k!!

6.4 miles, fair bit of climbing and a load of mud in just under 43 mins - not surprisingly, my slowest time on the course. A few local rivals to keep things interesting  and I was in a good position up until the 8k point, having been pulled through several places by some guy. Unfortunately the effort spent on staying with him - initially to get out of the wind, but then to reel a few in - was too much, and around the 8k point I started going backwards and went from 8th place to 16th before the finish. 3rd V40. Nice cup of tea and hot dog for a bargain £1.50 after though!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, great run Simon. Maybe we should call it 'gold ware'?

Bus, sometimes it's just too tiring to race properly. Well done on finishing though.

🙂

• I did wonder whether "silverware" was the right term, but was still half asleep image

Bit of a mistake on my part tbh -I was being just a bit self-congratulatory on sticking with this guy, and feeling pleased I'd put what seemed an unassailable dent into my rivals. I should have known when to bale out, rather than sending myself into the red though and paid for it big time later on. Pride comes before a fall!  On the plus side, I did manage to finish strongly, though it didn't do anything place wise!

• Nice run SC.

Good effort Bus, sounds like Herberts Hole was a bit too stick and dirty.

First TVXC for me today, course was windy and a bit muddier than last year, also the paths were a bit rutted. My usual rivals were there, including Craggs the chap I have never beaten.

There was a fast start with what may have been a couple of guests tearing off into the distance, one of which looked like a child. I started steady as I dared and found myself in about 15th I guess. 

First couple of miles were into the wind so I sat back and tried to shelter eventually settling in behind a group of Datchet Dashers. Once we turned out of the wind I moved out and started my pursuit of my Nemesis. Trouble was I had given up a lot of ground in the first two miles trying to save energy.

With about 2 miles to go I felt like I was now starting to close in on him but he was still out of striking distance. I kept my pace as we entered the final mile and having followed this chap for the entire 2014 XC season, finally I could see him coming back to me. We turned into the final stretch with the finish in sight about 300 yards away as I arrived on his shoulder, there was a small reaction but I knew I had the momentum.

As I ran for the line I was quickly closing on my team mate James as well but the line arrived before I could contemplate chasing him down. Finished 7th Finally beat the chap that finished immediately in front of me in 5 XC races and 2 Parkruns.

My time was about a minute quicker than last year but I finished in the same position. 

• Nice one Andrew! Bet he's gutted!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Great runs Simon (as ever) and Andrew, 7th is really good in that field,

Bus, I think while going for it may sometimes not pay off as desired, you never have a great run by being too cautious.

Interesting w/e for me. Trained all autumn for Gosport Half much as I hate the distance as I really should have a better pb given my times at lower distances. However decided yesterday to bin it with the high winds forecast! So off to the same TVXC as Andrew as our club captain said we were missing most of our faster guys. He wasn't wrong as I came home 1st from our club and 37th overall in 36'23.

Pleased with that as my fastest ever at Datchet xc and held my own to the end instead of the usual loss of several places. Oh and through in Bracknell pr (one of the hardest locally) in 19'22 yesterday too, yet only 7th having been 1st recently with a slower time!.

• He probably has little idea who I am, Bus, I am alway running behind him!

• Good run, Pete. Who were you running for?

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Windle Valley; we've been 4th/5th type position since we joined a few years back but got up to 3rd last year. We'll be well back after today though and new rules re 4 women and equal weighting to their scores don't suit us either. Are you TVT? Seemed to have a lot of TVT guys around me so good strength in depth. Craggs will know you in future and be after revengeimage

• He'll know now Andrew!

Good racing Pete, and a wise decision with Gosport - it would have been messy!

• Yes TVT. We are reasonably strong on the Men's front but like you say the Women's change just makes RRR even stronger I suspect. 

We'll see when the results come out.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good racing pete, bus, ag.  but medals are medals so kudos go to Simon and his gold.

XC race for me, shit course, shit weather, shit performance.   i knew i was tired going into to it but the team needed me to get round to make sure we win team gold at the end of the series.  on the last lap im motoring catching and passing people but then go all bambi and slip, head over tits, wiping out a fellow team mate in the process.  i get up, stop swearing after a while and then start the chase again. 

after half a mile or so im back on his shoulder and realise we have gone the wrong way.  looks like a marshall had left his post to treat a injured runner (fair enough) but a small group of us went the wrong way adding on just under half a mile extra.  so we turn back onto the correct course and i come in behind people i passed ages ago.  so results are all up in the air as it doesnt sound like we were the only ones to go wrong. 

• St Neots Half marathon for me yesterday. Odd one and a little out of place. A work colleague lives there and invited a load of us up for a social run many months ago and so I had a clear calendar and booked it in. Since then a number of race dates have changed and fallen on the same day so I missed out own XC race and a few other local races, but decided to keep a date with the half.

I can't seem to get myself into race shape at the moment. I have some long term ideas of what I need to do and always end up shooting at long term goals rather than customising stuff for the short term.

I got up and it was a nice day for running where I live, but a 70 mile drive to flat and exposed East Anglia told a different tale with strong winds clearly going to play a part in the race. Got to the event and was soon at the back of the longest ever queue I have seen for registration. Last year the event was 1200 entries, this year 2000 and it was collect numbers on the day. Chaos! Sad to see this happening to old club races as they get handed over to event management companies.

1 mile warm up and a quick relief in the back of an industrial estate (10 portaloos was never going to work) and form up in the start pen. I had no real plans and thought that sub-1:30 had to be the minimum and there was a 1:30 pacing team so I lined up alongside them.

First mile 6:43 and then we turned left and went downhill with a tailwind. The pace team held even but I decided to let the legs roll and 6:08 for mile 2. Another flattish mile (6:43) then one uphill and into the wind (7:17). The next 4 miles were a square so all combinations of up, down, head and tail wind. 7 to 8 was into a headwind and I was on my own and struggling and a few groups came up to me and I caught and held onto them for a while as each passed but couldn't stay in one. Just after 8 there was a big group containing the lead ladies and the 1:30 pacer and I was able to tag onto and stay with this group.

Back in a pack, suddenly things were easy again. Did 8 to 10 in the pace group and then the two ladies pushed ahead and a few of us went with them. Last 3 were downhill and largely tail or side wind and I managed a couple of 6:30 miles to cross the line in 1:29:02.

So I can run a half in sub 1:30, I need to do two of those back to back in London. Looks like a hard task but I need to draw positives from it. Sub-3 pace feels very easy, and can easily tick along at 6:30 pace for a while. Just need to get the endurance up.

It is hard to judge what impact the wind had. Up front, people who ran 73 minutes a few weeks ago were running 77. I don;t think I was impacted that hard but probably 2 minutes and a 1:27 would feel good at this stage.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Fraserburgh HM yesterday for me:

Feeling pretty good in the few hours leading into the race if a little nervous.  Got a nice slow jog warm up with a couple of mates then a few strides a bit later just before the start.

The weather was perfect when I left the house but definitely windier in Fraserburgh and it picked up just in time for the start and the drizzle started about 1 minute before the start.  Aceimage   Headwind on the way out and for most of the first 6.5 miles but only strong in a few places.  Set off at what felt comfortable, checked the watch and I was at 6:16 pace which was a bit quick but I had a decision to make early on.  I was at the front of a pack with a gap ahead.  I could tuck in or give a little push to tuck in behind the runners ahead.  I went for the latter this time and tucked in behind a couple of Metro runners.   First mile came out at 6:15 but I thought that was fine as I was running tactically to get shelter from the wind.  One by one the runners seemed to drop away except for a Metro runner I knew and I stuck to his shoulder like glue.  We picked off a couple of runners and I let him do the work - he was picking a good line all the way so I just followed him.  At about 4/5 miles we were joined by one of his clubmates who was handily a massive guy and he went past me and alongside his mate for a while.  Good wind barrier image   He dropped off a little again as we went through 6 miles and I was still following the first guy.  The splits weren't consistent here but I went through 6 miles at average 6:24 so I thought I'd made the correct decision to follow this guy instead of sitting back early on.   At 6.5ish we turned into the railway line out of the wind and I decided to leave the 2 Metro guys and chase down my clubmate up ahead.  Old boy Robbie Youngson - awesome runner with some good PBs but I've been ahead of him this year generally and beat him at Brodie 10k a couple of weeks ago.  Just focussing on his vest the whole time and getting gradually closer.  7,8 and 9 at 6:17, 6:23 and 6:16 and at this point I'm convinced I'll be getting a PB but probably not sub 83.  A different Metro runner (one I was with right at the start) comes up alongside for a bit and we catch Robbie at about 9.5.  Metro goes past and I go past Robbie for a couple of seconds and then it starts to go a bit downhill (my race I mean!!).  Robbie and Metro pull away a bit and for some reason I don't go with them.  If I'd gone with them I'm sure I would have beat them and might have PBd.  I should have beaten those 2 as I've been quicker than them over all distances this year.  But as soon as there was a gap I just couldn't seem to close it.   The climb out of the Philorth estate from about 9.5 to 10.5 seemed to take forever!!  6:30 / 6:32 for miles 10 / 11 and I knew mile 12 was the hardest...  I was just hoping to hold it together so I could try and chase them down on mile 13 on the downhill.  They never seemed to get much farther away - uphill mile 12 in 6:43, round the corner and really trying to push the pace but only as far as 6:24.  I got a boost when I saw my wife and daughter at about 12.5 but too late by then to catch the guys ahead.  Round into the park towards the finish - a bit gutted to see 84 come and go but push onto the finish and see the last bit was at 6:12 pace so not too bad.   13th place.  I didn't really manage anything I set out for but I don't think I was in HM shape - I think I knew that deep down though.  I haven't been hitting the threshold pace like I was in the first half of the year and not done enough long stuff.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Had I known what that Metro runner was going to do, I would have tucked in with him early on and had a more enjoyable race with possibly the same or slightly better outcome - he overtook everyone I overtook plus me!  He just did it better than me by not going mental early on...!  

On the plus - the Metro I tracked early on is Callum Walker - serial sub 3 marathoner so pleased to have beaten him and hindsight is wonderful so I actually think I ran it well - just needed to man up a little bit in miles 10-12.  That's where the PB was lost.   All in all though - 84:38 is a solid time on tough(ish) day/course. image
  • A tough weekend for racing, good work all.  

Dean - Bloody nightmare!

Well I managed to stay on my feet for the GB & Ireland Masters XC in Dublin. Full report with muddy pic on the sub-3 fred, but in short we won team silver behind Ireland. I narrowly missed out on making the scoring team, finishing one place behind 4th scorer, 13th V40 out of 30, and 43rd overall (M35,40,45; 86 finishers.) But we all got medals so happy with my first international bling.  image

• Well done mate, looked muddy from the photos from Matt Pyatt's facebook stuff (we have had many an Eastern Vets track race together!).

Good racing from AG, PeteM and PMJ (Shame I didn't know you were going to St.Neots as the missus was doing the massages in the corner of the Sports Hall!!) and yes it was very busy wasn't it!!

CC82 - Great report, sounded tough..

Dean - nightmare!! I'm bad for swearing A LOT if I fall over. Apologised to marshalls once about it - I did slip on tarmac that time though!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon, i was swearing as i saw my coach near the end too with a "where the F*** is the F***ing finish!" image

congrats PP and nice medal..saw you came in just ahead of a mate of mine...dave smith.  i have raced agasint him a couple of times this last few weeks too.  he is in decent shape.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, it seems only really fast XC runners get sent the wrong way or go off course. Needless to say, it's never happened to meimage.

Not a bad run Phil.

I'm sure ticking along not over doing things will yield a real result in the 'long run' so to speak.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Due to semi retirement, work and other ting, i'm gonna change my posting style on here now, so instead of chatting a colossal amount of utter pony very often, I'm going to limit myself to an occasional brief post...of utter pony.

So from a quick squiz on here, I'd like to say

• I love reading Ric's disapproval on stuff when it's not on me image
    • The line "Old boy Robbie Youngson" made me chuckle to a level that shows me I definitely need to spend less time posting on forums image