Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Apologies to Dachs for coming across as a bit heavy handed. 

Matches the rest of my bulk at the moment.

Mind you, I can see where endurance of 70 miles/wk can be condensed into speed and power.

Yes, cut the mileage, do more hills, reps and dare I say it 'power mud running'.

🙂

• Options

So that's Dachs sorted then.

Looks like we're back to 'standard' Sandhurst XC weather today. Brilliant sunshine but low temps. Better than the soggy pish of '14 and '12. Enjoy it; I'll be in the warm.

Anyone fancy the LFOTM on the 27th Dec?

• Options

IC: LFoM is 27th November, then 18th December as the last Friday of December is the 25th and something else is happening that day.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse wrote (see)

IC: LFoM is 27th November, then 18th December as the last Friday of December is the 25th and something else is happening that day.

Ah yes, so I see. When I was squinting at my phone I saw it was the 27th but that would be this month. That puts a different spin on the day as I don't have enough holiday for that. :/

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Just back from Sandhurst xc. Iron, you were right about the low temperatures but there was certainly no brilliant sunshine! Always strikes me as a fast course for xc and the times seem to back that up. Finished 45th in 34'39 which is about 40m 10k pace so the standard is pretty high. Very fast downhill "who dares wins" first mile which is a bit of a charge of the light brigade but a git of a hill just before the finish that everyone seemed to be suffering about the same on.

Also did parkrun yesterday which was harder than the xc! Running into a 45moh gale for the first mile not conducive to good times. Still 3rd and top WAVA but a personal worst time for all my 2015 pr's of 19/36

• Options

Good hard back to back racing there Pete! Wouldn't have fancied racing in yesterday's gales that's for sure!

Bit late out this morning, which meant lots of just de-frosted clay on several of the fields I had to cross. Must be one of the tackiest and slippiest things known to man - little else is as horrible to run on or makes your shoes weigh a stone each image

Still, 14 miles done to give just over 50 for the week, which I'm pleased with as I only managed to get out on 4 days.

• Options

Good going Pete! Sandhurst is my favourite XC course, and my best XC performance ever.

Nice long'n Bus.

• Options

Standard brutal 14m long run then, Bus.

Nice running Pete, I was also at Sandhurst and it provides a great finish. A steep hill followed by a flat wide open sprint finish, if you can still sprint after that hill that is.

We did he Men's Health Obstacle course yesterday and I was feeling a bit jelly legged. As Pete alluded to there was a fast start and I found myself way down, probably 25th ish, even a girl was ahead of me image.

As I wasn't feeling great I just kept it steady and slowly made my way through to about  10th managed to take a few before the final hill and then eased off to try and save something for the final sprint. 

Found myself about 10 yards down on JC (my rival!) and managed to slowly wind up to something almost resembling a sprint. Managed to sneak past him with about 50 metres to go. There are a couple of photos of me gurning so I can't pretend that it was easy! 

A solid run, average pace 5:57 and after an opening 5:47 it was all even splits 6:01, 5:57, 5:58, 5:59.

• Options

That's the one Andrew image. With added slipperiness today for good measure!

That's some race today after mashing your legs up yesterday and impressive slits for an XC!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Standard day on the thread...

Pete obviously doing a parkrun before a race, AG with a classic triathlete "yesterday I..." excuse image , Bus making a 14miler doubly hard with a demanding route. Aley and Iron loving the LFOTM...

Throw in my obligatory 13 sub 7 and it's all as you always are!

good work all

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

lol SG, you're spot on thereimage impressive training too.

Andrew, if you were behind Becky for a while you must also have been behind me as I was ahead of her till about a mile left! Just goes to show your move through the field was pretty impressive if you ended up top 10! We must arrange to say hello next time; are you dong the Bradenham/Wycombe one? Not sure myself, its the only one I've never done as its easily the furthest for me.

• Options

I'd like to do the Bradenham one next week if anyone wants a guest image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

you're welcome to guest for Windle Bus if you don't get a better offerimage

• Options
  • Options
    Likewise Bus, although you'll have to wear sunglasses, lycra and compression socks!

Yes Pete, will have to say hi. I passed a fair few on the first downhill. Standard seems up a bit, I was faster this year but 6th whereas I was 5th last year.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Last year was a disgusting quagmire though.

Well run Pete and AG.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well it's now six weeks since my last run. Hardly noticed really.

Still fit to some extent. I can raise my HR in stages to over 160bpm on the bike and it drops below 100bpm in less than 60 seconds.

In the past; when training tired, the HR would getting me blowing up at @ 150bpm and I'd not recover for ages.

Just thought I'd add the HR readout of the lad a few minutes back.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0006.JPG

Now I'd find this handy.

🙂

• Options

Good bit of XC action there from Pete and AG, good stuff chaps. Dachs - sounded awful, but we've all been there. I personally tend to try and fine another race straight away.

Not done much recently, few strides Thursday, Swansea for footie and muchos beer Saturday, cracking long run to MK on Sunday about 14/15 miles (cold, no wind, carbo loaded from the day before!)

Luton last night, 6 x 1200 on the grass. Can't remember the sequence exactly, but they started at about 3.51 and ended up with 3.45 for the last one. Felt pretty good and ready for Wolverton 5 on Saturday. Shame Gordon Lee has entered. He's a very fast old man!!

• Options

Good work Simon!

Super busy at work this week, so just a quick pop in post!

That's high Ric! What's the prognosis now for running?

No run today - did a double yesterday, with the evening being with the work "jogging group"! Idea was to have a sociable run instead of yet another mudfest in the dark. Pace was OK - not too slow - but seems to have made the adductor and back flare up a bit for some reason, so didn't run today.

• Options

Ps thanks for the offer Andrew. Will need/to see if i can find some cool enough shades image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus: re. High HR. The lad was holding steady at 195 bpm. Just checked, he reckoned he was good for 215 bpm.

As for running. At the moment I'm doing a bit of jogging about the house. Sooner or later I'll go and outside and do some numbers. 

Having been fully aware of where my right knee has been at all times for several weeks, I thought I'd enjoy a bit of free movement for a bit.

Forgot to mention. Yesterday I joined the ranks of the V55's. image.

🙂

• Options

Yikes! Happy birthday for yesterday then Ric image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Happy belated birthday Ric.  My birthday wishes are as slow as your heart rate.

Impressive reppage as always Simon, and good luck for Wolverton.  You can't allow yourself to lose to someone called Gordon.

• Options

Yes Dachs I'll try, he's not absolutely flying as such at the moment - so there might be a chance. Still annoyed 2 years ago when our friend EOG was going well then had a stinker at Wolverton, meaning I would have picked up the goodies - if I hadn't got a cold and couldn't run..hey ho..looks windy though, so a PB looks unlikely.

Bus - good community running there, hope the niggle clears up. happy b'day Rich!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Oh, come on, someone must at least have done a parkrun or something.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)
    Oh, come on, someone must at least have done a parkrun or something.

You can always rely on me for that Dachs! 18'31 for 4th at Woking which is a fast course with only a small section not tarmac and even that bit wasn't too bad. Mind you I was beaten by a lady and also a kid who looked about 11 (though I did push him to get a pb to beat meimage).

TVXC tomorrow looks like it will be in gale force winds to add to the mud, rain and hills. Who is doing that?

• Options

Possibly - not just the weather to influence my decision, but the outcome of a brewery tour I'm heading off to in a minute image

Legs are still shot as well. So much so I bombed out on a run yesterday after setting off and doing 100m - first time I've ever done that!

6M of mud today instead.

Might see you tomorrow!

• Options

Been running easy since Tuesday after a reduced mile rep session (4 x 1m off 60s).. 6m easy today, possibly 4m shakeout later

Hayling island 10m race for me tomorrow. Just to end the year with a race (maybe bit of pot hunt) as I am "fit" and haven't done much in that way all year.. Not PB likeable though but James Baker + Rich Waldron racing snakes are in the bushes so will see what I get dragged around in

Hit c60 ish miles for last 4 weeks in a row now including a return to sessions which has been nice and gradually found the legs post Brighton where it was all running to HR (steady runs).. Been reducing the main runs though and doing more doubles to and from work such as 4 + 6 etc.. Suffering a bit of PF for a while now and had an ultrasound and NHS physio twice etc.. Seem to be managing ok though just not spending lots of time on my feet at once..Concerned given my injury history but much more aware of pain, aches and how my body is..

Plan then is an assault on my 10KM PB starting from tomorrow as a new week and having a few weeks inside turning the legs over

Unlikely to be able to attempt it till Chichester 10KM though as Stubby now out for me and Poole Boxing 10KM which SC mentioned probably too close image

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Good stuff, Scott. Nice PR Pete.

I have had quite a week. On Tuesday I was hit by a car on my bike. I was filtering past a van that had just tried to kill me by passing within about a foot. She then stopped and flashed an oncoming car to turn right across my path, presumably a second attempt to kill me.

My view was obscured by the van so as I overtook the van, wallop, I got smashed by a Fiesta. I was airborne before I knew it along with my bike, I rolled across the windscreen and over the other side.

Actually I managed to keep my bearings and rolled off the car onto my feet. Somehow my bike remained with me and I grabbed hold of it the other side! Damage wise my knee got bashed and bruised, the bike wheel got buckled and the forks bent out of shape. Also the car windscreen was completely caved in.

So as a result not been able to run this week. I did just manage a slightly painful 5 miles but TVXC is doubtful. I may do it easy.

Celebrated my near death experience by buying a new bike image

• Options

Ouch! All the best AG, could have been alot lot worse! Glad you're ok and hopefully new bike isn't too costly.. Are you going to claim or partly your fault for overtaking?

Terrible driving by so many people though it's really difficult to contain myself whilst out driving! I am forever shouting at people telling them to indicate and what not! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body