Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• My parkrun was one of 3 parts: started easily and was well back in the pack and gradually came forward as the enthusiastic starters faded. Then my knee started twinging with a shooting pain whenever I lengthened my stride so I turned the wick down and coasted for a mile or so. Just before 2 miles there are some steps which I normally take a stride at a time but I took them two strides per step to save my knee and somehow that cleared up the knee so I was able to open up again for the last mile and take a handful of places back.

Just inside 21 minutes overall which is slow but I'll take it and hope the twinges stay away.

• Well done JonnyD!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Fuck me go Jonny D!!!!!!

Huge congratulations!!!

Must've had huge belief
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Wow Jonny D that must even beat Dean's bronze at the Masters. There certainly are some superstars on this forum!

At a somewhat lower level just back from Metros xc in the Thames Valley league. They changed the course a bit this year and made it really long (over 6m) and with a massive ditch too big to jump so no option but to scramble through it and get very wet! Not so many there today as Xmas approaches so up to 27th though in over 42 mins. I'm ok with that though after a week of very little running due to a crappy cold which I still have and even made me miss parkrunimage

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats Jonny d  and decent run Pete in the circumstances

telford 10k for me today, struggling with cold symptons for the past week and it flared up bad last night when my nose wouldn't stop running and i was coughing and spluttering.  As its my last race of the yr I figured f*ck it nothing to lose so I will race and see what happens.  

the start is narrow and packed and I couldn't even get in the pen Before the gun. I had 1 leg in 1 leg out.  As the gun goes I make a surge right to get me on the path.  Telford is a very fast start and I completed the first mile in 4.56.  I was aiming for a 5.08 so I figure I'm going to pay for that later. Never mind.  Despite that start I get a shout I'm down in about 70th position.  I work through the crowd and complete mile 2 back on track.  It's here I feel my hamstring tighten.  I'm worried I ease off a touch and it feels sore.  I'm contemplating dropping out but that passes quickly. I decide to get to 5k and make a call as its a 2 lap course.  I overtake the First Lady and start picking up the pace again.  My hamstring then calms down by the 5k marker.  There is a clock saying 15.54 as I pass it.  I smile. I'm on track for a sub 32.  But feel that fast first mile and my disrupted week of late nights at work and sickness has yet to bite me.

there is a bit of an up and down section and last year I lost 8 secs or so on it so I concentrate and work hard.  my watch is going nuts, I can't trust the ave pace it's kicking out so I ignore it. I spot a mate of mine who is a solid sub 32 runner, I have never beaten on roads or XC.  In fact last week he beat me by over 30 secs.    He is about 50m or so but I'm focused on winding him in.  I now ignore the splits and focus on catching him.  I pull along side at about 8k.  We battle pushing the pace but at the out and back 180 turn I put an acceleration on and get 10m or so.  But he has won multiple England medals at vets XC so he will battle all the way.  Into the last mile and I try and pick the pace up, a quick look at the watch shows sub 32 has gone but a pb is possible.  Into the last 800 and I figure nobody is going to come past me now as I accelerate.  I close on the group in front.  Sign saying last 300m so I kick hard, I come flying in, overtaking a few and cross the line in 32.12. An 8 sec pb. And garmin says a 2.50 last km. and finish in 49th.  Pretty stacked field! 

Obviously happy at a pb but gutted not to go under 32.  But in fairness I haven't done any specific training and the sickness flattened me a little in the 2nd half So this is probably the best I could have hoped for.  Plus a couple of big scalps from people who normally beat me or beat me last weekend.

now onto to Xmas, image

• Good going Dean and Pete. That's a hell of a long XC for the conditions.

I saw Johhny's results online, some impressive running! Does anyone know what the course length was? The splits were epic.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Different class JonnyD! Great to watch.

A PB when not feeling well bodes well Dean! Great stuff.

Well done on the XC Pete.

Shit week for me. Sore calf. Got a 10k on the 27th but no real aspirations, it'd be nice to just make the start line.
  • Nice one Pete - did it feel easier with no parkrun in the legs??

Dean - cracking way to end a great year mate - even leaves a little for next year image. Amazing to pull out a PB after the week you've had, so don't be too disappointed about the sub 32!

Johnny D - wow! Just seen the highlights on the TV and you (rightfully) looked pleased as punch - fantastic stuff !!!!

No race for me today as planned. Had a few days off to try and shift some of the fatigue in my legs, but the lergy got me! Been a snot factory for the past 3 days and couldn't even get out of bed this morning! Just 10 miles for the week image

• Oh, and well done yesterday's parkrunners - especially AG's fastest finish at Liverpool!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Sorry, missed the parkrun chaps some promising running and a win.  Good stuff! and happy 40th AG.  

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

no Bus, xc was no easier without a parkrun but maybe that's to do with the long distance, tough course being soaking wet and feeling rough from the same lurgy!

• Brilliant on the PB Dean, I remember you saying a while ago you wanted sub 32 but didn't want to bust a gut getting there with training so without 100% attention that shows 31:30 is a reasonable target next time you focus on it. If you do

Shame about the niggle Matt! Remember you wont lose fitness if you don't run for a week

Happy 40th for yesterday AG 

IC. Course was measured* at 8.08KM..He did 23:32...So 4:41 m/m pace - Different class indeed

Senior men apparently opened on 2:40 for first KM too! (4:17m/m)

Hopefully you feel better soon Bus!

Nice XC race Pete

• Hi all - Firstly good battling Pete there at the XC, and Dean - awesome mate, are you sure you're not doing some sneaky training your not telling me about image my next race is a 10k in Poole Park Boxing day, so i'll aim for a PB too then!!

Happy to say I got bronze at the Southern masters xc at Biggleswade at the weekend. Haven't got time a for a proper report, but I was caught up in the battle for 3rd as Greenwood and Bristow were away and gone from the start! 3 1/2 laps in the bloody wind, one drag and one shorter hill. Only managed to break free with about 1k to go and still had to sprint in as the other 2 were coming back again.

A very nice day with the Cherries beating Man U too..(SG? SG?)

Ran over to MK tpo watch the end of the half yesterday, cold, muddy and miserable that was, couldn't find the missus, lasted 55 mins in my shirt and shorts!

• SC there's a chance I will be down in Poole. After you posted you might do it a while back I looked it upimage I think low 33 for me which will probably be way off you, but maybe company for the first 5km. May get stuck on the IOW unless I come back Christmas Day which I need at least one of my legs to run so might not work out

Very well ran at masters XC and congrats at 3rd!

Attempting "that" 12 X 1km session tonight
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon - congrats on the bronze & ha! no specific training i promise.  i have upped my mileage to about 65-70mpw over the last 8 weeks or so (ignoring the last fortnight which has been minimal miles) but they have largely been base building.  i have raced a few XC as tempo/strength sessions so they might have helped.  After Xmas im going to try and get some 10k sessions in.

Scott - unless i have misunderstood some of your strava/facebook stuff.  i thought you did a 15.30 5k in training and other such fast sessions.  if so you have to target sub 33

• Yes Dean I did a 15:30 5km but on a closed 800m loop so perhaps garmin was being a little generous although I've never had problems with it and even on track it's been within pretty much bang on... I have lost a little sharpness and stuff as I did base work for 3 months with no sessions and just introduced them over the last 6 weeks gradually finding the legs.. You must have really responded well to those few larger weeks Dean, would be scary if given more time!

I'm having a couple of easy weeks now due to this foot niggle (PF) and not forcing things so I'm just not pushing pressure on to get super fit right now and seeing in the new year healthy. Ideally yes sub 33 would be lovely I just think I'd need another 6 weeks from now. We will see though image

12 x 1KM (90s) complete. I've done tempos at a higher HR overall than the peak which it hit tonight 171 (90%) So just didn't push enough at all. Felt I could have done a fair few more though but a solid workout. Average 3:21. 

• Nice one Simon!!

Big sesh that Scottimage

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Top quality PB there Dean, particularly without any really specific training behind you. I assume that your capitalisation of First Lady doesn't indicate that Michelle Obama was motoring at 32 minute pace. I feel certain that if you attack a 10k with the right training, you've got a damn quick time in you. A 4:56 first mile is obscene.

Yet more medals from Simon, the consistency is superb.

Nice XC position Pete.

Well done on the scouse parkrun win AG, and solid parkrun too PMJ.

Big reps there Scott.

Oh yeah, Jonny D did OK too.

Bugger all to tell you about me.

• Solid reps Scott.

5 easy km around Bristol yesterday with guidance of no faster than 10min/mi. Achilles seemed OK after and today though the calf is a little tight this morning. I definitely over-stretched it last week and probably need to ease up on the roller.

W-off today then another glacial 5km on Thursday.

• Quiet on here again!

Finally shed my lurgy by yesterday and managed my first run for almost a week! 10k at lunch in a steady 7.10 with no ill effect, then work "jogging club" last night. Oddly, trying to do the 4 miles at their pace was actually hard work, and seemed to set off an old injury in the top of my quad. Also, my hamstrings are very tight - how does that work after a week off then?

Anyone any good hamstring stretches? I'm rolling them and do the classic Indian knot as a starter....

• Bus - It's having a week off mate! I only have max 2-3 days off. Was chatting with PP in the warm down after the xc and we were discussing the merits of his 2 weeks off after Berlin..I would feel like a jogger again after 2 weeks off, just can't do it!

Dean - I believe you then I suppose! Scott - would be great to see you at Poole, and I definitely won't be miles away from low 33's!! That 400 session you did was great, good quality. Cheers Dachs.

Got out of work late so did our session on the paths at Luton with no warm up. It was 4 x 2k, with enthusiasm levels very low..tbh I'm so sick of the weather now. Came out as 6.57, 6.42,6.31, (poo stop) and then 6.29, no got reasonable towards the end, perhaps 6.25 ish for the last one without the pit stop.

Off work today, so braving the elements now for 45 mins. Fucking weather - I just want to see the sun FFS!!!!

• We should follow Ric's example and follow the summer to NZ!

• Well that felt awful, classic easy run the day after a session or race on the road.

Also, the sky went a funny colour...any ideas? Yes Bus I agree, the UK must have the most depressing weather of anywhere in the world.

• Nice Reps Simon & Scott.

Bus - I just do a simple foot on the bottom stair hamstring stretch and lean. Physio said it was fine.

SC - I don't understand the weather complaints? It is the middle of December and this morning I ran to work in shorts and t-shirt. No rain; no gloves, hat, base layer or jacket! It was wonderful. Thick mud underfoot and little to no wind, seemed perfect to me.

We haven't even really used the heating at home yet this year and apart from my trip to Liverpool I have't used a coat.

Anyway I ran home along the A4 from my new office in Maidenhead (9.25 miles) and I found the traffic to be just too much, it wasn't relaxing. For the run back this morning I took it off road up a few hills and through thick mud, it was great if a little slow. Just over 11 miles but should be perfect for an MLR as I can easily stretch it out. 

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Yes the weather for running has been mostly fine this week but I agree with Simon the wind has wrecked many a recent session/race.

Anyway just back from a lunchtime Ascot racecourse intervals session (lovely tarmac track around the inside). Pyramid session 200,400,600,800,1600 and back. 200's about 38, 400's 1'19, 600's (uphill and into wind) 2'20, 800's (reverse) 2'45 and 1600 6'02 (again uphill and into wind). Good enough and suppose I can knock 0.5% off these as I work off the furlong markers (201 metresimage

•  

PeteM wrote (see)

Yes the weather for running has been mostly fine this week but I agree with Simon the wind has wrecked many a recent session/race.

Anyway just back from a lunchtime Ascot racecourse intervals session (lovely tarmac track around the inside). Pyramid session 200,400,600,800,1600 and back. 200's about 38, 400's 1'19, 600's (uphill and into wind) 2'20, 800's (reverse) 2'45 and 1600 6'02 (again uphill and into wind). Good enough and suppose I can knock 0.5% off these as I work off the furlong markers (201 metresimage

I've run through there in the past but never around the inside. I'll take a look over Christmas.

5 laps around the inside of Chepstow drove me nuts.

• The weather is certainly mild, but just grey all the time! I'd much rather have cold and crisp! I don't mind a bit of mud, but the farmland behind my house is worse than it's ever been, bloody hard work and impossible to maintain any sort of pace (yes I know, good resistance training, but I'm bored with it!). Consequently, 7.6 hilly miles at a shocking 9:23 pace at lunchtime. Legs hurt as well!

Right, that's enough whingeing for one day image

Nice pyramid session Pete. Have you been doing that one furlong? image

Andrew - can't imagine a run along the A4 is going to be much fun!

Simon - sky an odd colour? Maybe the end of the world coming!

• ps will try adding in that stretch Andrew

• The Bus wrote (see)

Andrew - can't imagine a run along the A4 is going to be much fun!

It wasn't but it's the only pavement route available. I considered last night wearing headphones for the first time ever, just to block the car noise out.

I have also ordered a head torch. I am wondering about running off road in the dark, I guess I need to learn the routes first otherwise I will get lost. Does anyone else run off road forest/fields etc in the dark alone? Will the bogeyman get me?

• Cheers guys, another 10kn specific session tonight

2km (3:00) 2 X 1km (90s) 5 X 400m (60s) 2 X 1km (90s) 2km ...Pretty tough but enjoyed varying the pace

Glad you're over the lurgy Bus, good run both days but no idea about hammy stretches!! Try Kinetic Rev...

Great the Achilles was ok IC

Simon, top reps as usual!

AG, did my first off road run with head torch the other day. Was refreshing but I only ran where I knew the route well from times before. Was wearily thinking about where I was landing

Very nice session Pete!