Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Iron, it’s not that there’s more mud at TVXC, just that there’s a different attitude to it.  My perception is that the mud at the Hampshire League is there to be ploughed through to build strength for proper track running in the summer, whilst at TVXC people seem to actively enjoy it, which I cannot get on board with.

Of course I may have massively exaggerated that for effect.

The Bus wrote (see)

We just need the wind to stay away from Wokingham image

Ha, yes, that would be nice.  I'm beginning to think that we need to reset all of our PBs at the beginning of 2015, which is when the Age of Wind started.  So anything after that would be an AoWPB.

Speaking of which, tricky run to work this morning, westwards into the face of a kind of wind that not only proves that Satan exists, but also that he eats a lot of Mexican food.  Also a patter of rain going on, presumably because it thinks there isn’t enough mud yet for Parliament Hill tomorrow.  Fortunately, I have invested in some new 100,000mm spikes, which penetrate right down to the bedrock, and thus keep me nice and stable.  The only downside is that they can make it even wetter by accidentally creating boreholes.

• Good repping Dachs, Bus and IC. Feeling fine now, but my nose just drying up very slowly. Done a few efforts to and from work, bit worried about a lack of power from the Quads - the week before Parly Hill isn't the best time to have a cold really. We were discussing whether this will rival 2001/2002 for mud...so not looking forward to it really, not done a decent session for 10 days now and feel rusty. It will be like going on a cross trainer for an hour, legs going up and down, not getting anywhere!!

Anyway, important stuff  - post PH beer in the Assembly House, just by Kentish Town tube. Its the bit of the day I'm looking forward to.

• Glad to hear things are on the up. Bus there isn't much difference between 1500 and HM pace for me!

Dachs if it makes you feel better I didn't enjoy the mud at Tadley. That was a hell of a session.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I think its not really the mud Dachs objects to but the average quality of runners he has to run with in TVXC! Lots of the slowest runners embrace and rejoice in mud as it gives them something to 'big up' to their mates about. The attraction of Brutal and other such events is evidence of this. TVXC has good runners in the first quintile but the quality drops dramatically after that. Agree that was some session; I'd be one of those who couldn't even do 1 3k rep in under 10.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I should clarify that I am not objecting to the quality of runners!  As RRR men's captain, that would be a terrible thing to do!  But of course, a more stacked field at the front in the Hampshire League is an attraction too.

Anyway, I was just making light-hearted, joshing comments that don't really withstand this level of analysis

•  

PeteM wrote (see)
    TVXC has good runners in the first quintile but the quality drops dramatically after that.

Lies! Damn lies! Statistics!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs says:

My perception is that the mud at the Hampshire League is there to be ploughed through to build strength for proper track running in the summer, whilst at TVXC people seem to actively enjoy it, which I cannot get on board with.

Neither can I.

But then again, we are dealing with people like this.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/download_(1)_0.jpg

What is it with some people who in their everyday working lives are as professional and cut throat as you like but given the chance, regress into this sort of shit.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are many psychological studies that can explain this sort of "fun"?!

Yes, mud is fun for kids perhaps, and possibly even for sliding around in a 4x4, but personally I'm sick of the stuff!

Struggling to get out today - was supposed to be a lunchtime 10, but have just run out of time, so the weekly target is already screwed!

• The thing with mud and XC is that the mud is there to slow down others. There is some skill in picking a good route and sometimes that means going through the middle of a puddle and saving time by not pussy footing round and other times vice versa. Generally I find the best way is to get the best grip and not worry about how you get that grip.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ha ha! Burning bridges are we Ric?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - that's about skill and technique. (I think) Dach's confusion is WHY people would claim to ENJOY the mud?? If you are good on mud, you can be pleased it is slowing others down, but 'enjoy'??

What are you running Sunday anyway?

• Good luck to those running southerns tomorrow! Will be like the opening scene in gladiator I reckon! Of course good luck to any one else racing and looks like people are running well now - Dachs that is a quality session and I do remember you doing that one before

Decent session from me tonight

8 X 1KM (2:00) + 2 X 400m (60s)

Fancied throwing in some short efforts at the end of sessions to get those legs working when they are tired

Starting to learn from Romsey and also other sessions and make myself hurt now. Chichester is off the cards unfortunately but Eastleigh is the aim, 7 weeks. SG - if you remember I put word about a place to kip if you wanted to run! Something to think about still?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Nice sessions Dachs & Scott. That's a lot of volume, Dachs. Nice pace too.

This week is a recovery week for me but at 55 miles would be my second highest ever, not much of a recovery.

7 miles at 7s today along the Thames Path, ran from Maidenhead to Cookham and it was quite a nice lunch run. 15 tomorrow was going to go off road but my Innov8 X Talon's have suddenly fallen apart image

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - that's about skill and technique. (I think) Dach's confusion is WHY people would claim to ENJOY the mud?? If you are good on mud, you can be pleased it is slowing others down, but 'enjoy'??

What are you running Sunday anyway?

If that is the basis then I agree, mud is not there to enjoy. Same as hills, just there to slow you down and make life harder than it needs to beimage

Sunday (tomorrow) out for an early 17 on the Grand Union Canal. Definitely no hills and hopefully fairly mud free.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Speaking of mud (and my goodness, what mud!), Southern XC Champs today. Too harrowing and exhausting to write a report today. I will do it soon.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 5 miler last week Scott. Great session this week too, you're looking really strong at the minute. With another 7 weeks til your target 10k I think a big PB is on the cards.

Likewise Dachs. Great session midweek, a county call up and hopefully you had a good run at the southerns.

Keep it up AG. How are you finding the marathon training?

I was asked if I wanted to go on the reserve list for the county XC champs race. Chances of a call up I was told were 50/50 but I'm in Dublin that weekend which I think is the weekend of Trafford 10k too so a no go anyway.

Not a clue how I was asked as I've run 2 XC races in 2 years. I came 140th at the euro XC selection race.

Didnt do the northerns as I couldn't make the afternoon start so I ran a local fell race. The northern xc had nearly 900ft of climbing in 7 miles. image glad I couldn't make it!

Run a couple of races over the last 2 weeks.

First crack at a fell race where there was navigation involved yesterday. Course was marked from the start to checkpoint 1 then it was every man for themselves to checkpoints 2-3 then back to 4 which was also checkpoint 1. Then the route was flagged back to the finish.

I played it safe and just sat in a group of 3/4 all the way round. 800ft of climbing in the first 2 miles and 1200ft over the course ahich was 8 miles, well 8.2 in our case.

One lad was local so a couple of us sat on his tail. Few jokes and laughs were shared as we were pretty much at his mercy from checkpoints 1-4. If he was tired we slowed down. He still took us the wrong way which resulted in the rest of the field catching us up as we got to checkpoint 2. Rain, hail, sleet and some fierce winds up on the moors made it a bit of a slog back to checkpoint 4 where I knew it would be a race for home then.

We hit a Tarmac path and I knew there was 5/6 stiles to cross on the way back so I knew I needed to be in front so I made the break for home. Fortunately managed to hold the lad off in second by about 15 secs or so.

Also ran a torchlight 5k in a local park over a week ago. I ran carrying a torch through a park that was pitch black. I ended up running 16.50, really struggled to see and took a tumble in the last 1/2 mile as we were lapping runners from 2 miles onwards and ended up whacking my knee, hip and elbow. Got beat by a young lad who's never finished within 30 seconds of me over 5k. He ran 16.10!!! Bearing in mind he ran with no torch either! how he could see is a mystery! After the first mile my watch beeps and it says 5.14 and as we head into the fields and I couldn't see him ahead or hear his footsteps on the gravel or his breathing. It was silent. I was positive that he'd dropped out or stood off the course as it was too dark for him. Then spotted him miles in front of me as we hit a car park.

He ran pretty much the same course yesterday in 16.43 in broad daylight. image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lots of carrots?? Maybe they increase speed as well as improve night sight! Always good to be in a fell-race so good the local runners want to make it last longer  image

Bet your run wasn't mud free Philip - absolutely peeing down at the mo! I'm biding my time for the LSR a bit later. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it...unlike your race report Dachs. Which I am image

• Sounds like a good fell race and 5km. Good going. I reckon infrared goggles and a 3km run image

Back from a damp super-easy 5miler, which got rid of yesterday's 62mi bike ride. I think I have finally shaken Tadley's XC from my legs; it has been in them for most of the week.

Maidenhead to Cookham is quite picturesque.

Enjoy the LSRing guys.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Confused me with your name change Matt! Well done on the win by the way and a very nice LSR today I notice....

• Took me a couple of lines to figure out Matt's rebranding.

Nice fell win Matt.

Marathon training has been up and down, injured after the first week so I did two weeks of not a lot. Back into the plan on Week 4 and it had ramped up a lot. I did about 10 miles less than the plan. This week was the recovery week so that felt fine. Managed to get the two longest runs done 2 x 18 milers, one with 10 @ MP.

I am miles off on the LT runs though. Hopefully I can stick to the plan from now on. I felt good on yesterdays 15 miles though, it felt like a run I couldn't have done this time last year, not at the same level of ease anyway. Also glad i did it in Saturday's sun image

• The Bus wrote (see)

Bet your run wasn't mud free Philip - absolutely peeing down at the mo!

The towpath was not entirely mud free but it was firm underfoot so easy enough to keep up a steady pace. As we joined the canal we saw a load of fishermen about to sit at numbers along the bank and sure enough on the way back they were blocking the path with umbrellas and carbon poles. Had a bit of fun secretly splashing as close as I could to all their kit.

Good win Matt, saw in on Strava so the name change was not so confusing.

• ...also the sight of Lorraine Kelly's stomach is making me feel f*cking sick.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good race and reports Matt. The lad sounds as if he may have missed a turn in the dark.

Been back a while from my run. Set off with nothing in mind and ended up doing 15 miles in the rain averaging 7:54. The double 'Helly' works a treat but conditions testing.

Thought about Phil's 17 miler as some sort of target after I'd gone around ten miles, but nearly 600 feet of climbs had taken the edge off. Bearing in mind it was the first run over ten miles in months, not a bad result.

As for Dachs and the mud of the 'Southern XC Champs'. Well done for obviously surviving.

The mud reminds of the race when it was held at Havant. I knew the guy who ended up second that day. 

/members/images/493151/Gallery/img489_0.jpg

John Downes.  The mud monsterer.

🙂

• Agree with you Ric, I don't think he intentionally cheated but saw an opportunity once he stopped after taking wrong turn / getting a bit lost or something. Still a good run out Matt and great result in the fell race. Coincidentally I ran the session I quoted in the dark with head lamp the other day, I am positive I ran faster as I had less or no visual cues to gauge my effort on it was more hammer it and glance at the watch once I felt a good chunk of time had passed and after the first few I was doing well over 800 before checking, and I ran well.

Trying to hunt the Southern results, some good runs by Soton lads, how about Dachs and SC? Course looked rough, Andy greenleaf coming 13th averaging 6m/m tells us something!

AG - I hope you can get some consistency going! We all stated how well you ran of non specific training before so hopefully it'll come together!

IC - nice 60 miler! That's big

7.5m to easy HR with 6 X 10-12s hill efforts
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Some great running going on and we still have the xc reports to comeimage

Managed a 1st place at Bedfont parkun yesterday, albeit in a distinctly mediocre 19'41. Course was like a swamp though and the regulars seemed a minute or more down on usual times. Followed the advice of several on her and went for a 16 miler in prep for Wokingham today (longest run since my last marathon 4 years ago). Absolutely knackered now as did it with a guy aiming for 2'40 at London so even his 'slow' pace to to help me was still sub 7. Won't be doing any more like that.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a tall order for a long run Pete! well done on the ff at pr!

Philip - those rods would have been useful if you were doing steeplechase practice image. Pleasant route though I should think.

AG - what's your marathon target? Your long runs are pretty sharpish (and Lorraine Kelly????)

Late LSR today - taking advantage of the slightly later light. Glad I did, as I missed all the rain image. Road run again - 16.5M as per last week, but a different route. Couple of big hills, but also a long, slightly downhill stretch to get a few MP miles in. Happy with a 7:12 pace overall, especially as the last 2 were knocked out at sub 7 without really pushing too hard. Definitely going in the right direction if everything holds together image

• Nice long run again Bus, this road running is a lot faster isn't it!

With my injury history I will set a target close to the race. I think I have the potential to run 2:45 if everything went perfectly but perhaps sub 2:50 is realistic given my lack of mileage prior to this training plan and injuries already incurred.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough. A good stint of consistent training should get you there....

Faster maybe, but not as enjoyable! A necessary evil though at the moment - the mud is good for strength but just makes a reasonable pace impossible!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting the Southern XC results any time soon. 

Despite chip timing. We still have to contend with some grey haired old codger wearing an outfit which is a colour known as old, patiently waiting until his local library opens so he can upload the results from a floppy disc on to their dial-up.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/disc.jpg

Oh no!

He's dropped it!

🙂