Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - good 20. Whera re you in the schedule now? I've kinda lost track!

Not quite sure. The aim is London and the initial plan was 16 weeks starting with 2016 but the ITB issue meant I adjusted that to 12 weeks starting Feb 1 and I still haven't really got going onto serious long runs with significant chunks at MP.

ITB does seem to be settling down and today was easy and faster than the last few weeks so all looking good, but sub 3 may be too fast too soon.

• I seem to have picked up a sore throat. Earlier I'd advised a coachee not to attend tomorrow's session if they had a sore throat as it would not be beneficial. I will, of course, still head out for my easy long run tomorrow AM.

I hope it's not the thing (can't remember spelling) again SG. Good to be back?

I suppose Bus donated one of his 250 days of holiday to the other staff members.

• Lots of coughs and sneezes about currently. Surrounded by lergy ridden people at work and home so don't rate my chances of getting through Wokingham scot free.

30 down to 25 SG, plus flexi taken away, so effectively two weeks less holiday a year image. Can't really grumble given what others get, and not much choice in the matter anyway, but a bit of extra cash and a company car by way of compensation (sorta). Iron - I don't give them any time for holidays - how would I get time to go away if I did???

Fingers crossed the ITB holds up Philip. Should do if you've caught it in time and re-evaluating your London target is definitely the sensible thing to do.

• Shocking Bus. Have you been TUPE'd?

I hope the extra moolah covers the tax on the car. And NEVER take the fuel card option! We drive absolutely everywhere to make a dent in to the fuel card - I have to do 2 tanks of private mileage a month to break even. I chose a very economic car image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice work in beating your clubmate there AG.  I was almost tempted to come and give it a go when my kids' rugby was cancelled, but I have a perfect record of zero TVXCs this season I didn't want to sully.

Likewise, nice XCing Pete.  I also saw you'd made the trip to Woodley.  Didn't realise that bit of the park was that muddy, but I suppose I keep to the paths when I take the kids to school.

SG, good to see you back.  Nice 20 PMJ.

Been thoroughly enjoying this wind as you can imagine.  I think what pisses me off most is when I can barely move forward, then I look up at the trees and they aren't even moving.  Wind affected my 17 with 12 @ MP on Saturday, managed 5:55 pace, but it was pretty tough.  11 with 2 x 2.5m @ HMP today as a last HMP session before Wokingham, average 5:32 for the HMP bits.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Still a decent enough session there Dachs. It might be too much to ask for the wind to stay on race day though.

Nice XC there AG and Parkrunning Pete.

Hopefully the results are good news Ric. Was it an endoscopy you had? When I had mine I just had a spray of some banana flavoured thing to numb the back of my mouth.

Speedy to return to you too Scott. Looking really strong at the minute too. Bit of a shitter to miss Eastleigh too. Are you doing Highgate 10000m? I think I'll be doing it as I'm going to tie it in with a trip to London to visit my brother in law.

No Lake District trip this year then Bus? I used to get 22 days plus bank holidays and people used to say I'd miss the holiday pay once I was going self employed. What holidays???? image Works a lot more bearable nowadays, doing the same job for the same company on a lot more money, no tracker on my van so managed to sneak off for some runs a bit early.

Decided to do a fell run the other day in 60mph winds 1800ft up on a hill. At one point I was leaning that far forward into the wind and rain to stay upright, the wind suddenly dropped and I went head first into the tussocks. Some tough hills (1600ft of climbing) in the 7 miles and a couple of miles were at Phils 38 min parkrun pace but my HR was at 170bpm which is usually 5.45 pace. image

3-4 months working in cambridge on the university development starting on Monday. Nice place I imagine so I'm or to fussed about going away. Just need to try and find a good balance with training and working 12 hour days.
  • Two quality sessions Dachs.

Bus, solid 16 miler - Unsure how you avoid breaking something with those niggles

PMJ - Top 20

Good result AG!

Pete- Good result too

Nice to get the run in SG - didn't realise it was that long a break

Matt - Eastleigh I'm gutted about, it'll mark 2 years since that 33:00 and frankly it kills me. Seems like so much time and progress has been wasted. Highgate is the big aim for me, hoping to then come down in distance and run some track, I will try get to Watford too, I want to, or have to run the island games qualifying time on the track this year and that'll be perfect chance but also probably my only

I get a generous 6 week holiday allowance but am generally not allowed weekends off, bank holidays and certainly not half terms off!

Mixed week for me, session Saturday parkrun then 5 min recovery then 5 X 600 (90s)

16:21 then came in between 1:52-1:55 ish - Was happy with that as it was fast than any 5km I did in 2015 and on what they say is the slowest Soton course going up the hill twice. Run Britain has it ranked highly in "adjusted" best times. Of course this is nonsense I care about time image

Smacked the ankle at work Saturday and didn't think much of it till the Sunday 8 miler and despite running through it and very well - seemed to have a jump it fitness - said before I run at c75% HR. Generally 7m/m pace but over the weeks and months it's hovering 6:30-6:40s now. Anyway got back home and it was black and blue, swollen and tender to walk on, so a combo of a stress reaction from the hard session plus the knock and then running on it sunday

Has meant I've not been able to run of course and an attempt at cycling lasted less than 5 minutes as I was giving me a ripping sensation on the inside of the ankle. Have done two elliptical sessions though just 30/25 mins

Luckily NHS physio today timed perfectly which was my last appointment for my plantar faciitis which seems to be going, all be it very slowly. Hopefully will get much better insight to what's happened

Hopefully I'll be ok to tick over till my operation and resume running, otherwise that 2-3 weeks post op becomes 5-6 if I can't run between then!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Haven't checked up on the results yet ML. Doesn't matter, I'm going to die anyway. One day.

I had the spray in the face and then they (medics) saw fit to knock me out with some injection of something. 

Holidays! image.

Anyway. training today. 

I've sort of reverted to a basic plan of  two or three sessions per week and one long run per week. Other stuff is included.

Session today was a mixture of 400m and 800m. Pace was slightly slower than 6 min mile pace. HR held in the upper 160's for these. 

Looking towards a Half Marathon. Doubt if I'll be anywhere near 6 min pace. 6:15's if I'm lucky.

🙂

• Easy 8 today. Still feeling bleaurgh and will probably convert tomorrow's speedwork to an easy session.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Last proper training run for Wokingham for me too; 6 miles at HMP (done as 4 laps of the track round the inner of Ascot racecourse) with a 1.5m WU and CD. Hit the target 6'24 pace pretty easily for the 6 miles but the problem always comes trying to do so for 13! Let's hope for weather like today on the 21st, a rare still and dry day.

Used the Asics DS for their longest run so far today and plan to for the 1st time in a half at Wokingham; does that seem a reasonable call?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

PeteM.

Please don't run a Parkrun the day before Wokingham. 

That's a reasonable call.

🙂

• Like it Ric.

I've run an HM with Asics DS having not trained much in them. Calves were a bit sore but otherwise I was ok.

I will use them for Wokey, I plan to do my next LT in them as not worn them since Cardiff HM.

My 4 week average mileage is now above 50 mpw for the first time ever.

Nice sessions, Dachs, Scott and Matt.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteM wrote (see)

Last proper training run for Wokingham for me too; 6 miles at HMP (done as 4 laps of the track round the inner of Ascot racecourse) with a 1.5m WU and CD. Hit the target 6'24 pace pretty easily for the 6 miles but the problem always comes trying to do so for 13! Let's hope for weather like today on the 21st, a rare still and dry day.

Used the Asics DS for their longest run so far today and plan to for the 1st time in a half at Wokingham; does that seem a reasonable call?

RicF wrote (see)

PeteM.

Please don't run a Parkrun the day before Wokingham. 

That's a reasonable call.

Pete, sometimes I suspect Lit has set your account up as a wind up thread image

If you can "pretty easily" do 6m HMP as a solo run, yet there's even a doubt you can hold it for a race, I'd wager you've got something wrong!

ps As per Ric. Please put the bizarre parkrun obsession on hold. or maybe that's our answer why to the above!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, well I'm getting there, as I can feel my ferocious irritability with people on threads has come back  image (heads over to skinny's thread to see what nonsense DT19 has been up to)

An incredible 2x4milers at easy today. legendary stuff.

• Nice one Ric.

Is that DS Trainer or DS Racer?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps best of luck Pete and other Wokey-ites  . not long now.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Cheers guys (and sorry for irritating you SGimage). DS trainers Iron so they should be all right?

I hereby promise you Ric not to parkrun the day before Wokingham as an experiment. Its not an obsession really as I missed two in the last two months anyway, but maybe I should volunteer to make sure I'm not tempted!

Don't follow your logic SG on 6m and 13m pace. Surely its pretty easy to hold your HMP for just 6 miles. Basically for me it is running a bit over over 39 for a 10k which is readily doable, solo run or not, compared to 2 at 40 back to back which hasn't been.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think it was the apparent ease that stood out for me. I've seen people say it's a  hard workout, but never as easy as you found it.

I think you're either in for a pleasant surprise at what your actual HMP is, or you don't work to the level you could in races. The third option of you put a ferocious effort into training has been ruled out by your own definition. (Let's hope for option 1)

Does your belief stretch to other distances? Could you do 3miles at 10k outright for instance?

And as the energy and rantiness has worn off a bit, as a make up  present get involved with this below

20% off Sweatshop orders code

(use it quickly.  Just got 2xwave riders for £70!

• Blimey - last time I looked, no one was posting! Sorry if I miss anything, but, rather outrageously (!) work has been so busy I've not had time to come on here image

Iron - was TUPE'd, now new contract (rock and hard place job). Would have to do 26000 private for fuel card to work - I do about 8, included holidays image

Scott - ouch! Hope it heals double quick.

Dachs - I know what you mean about the wind. It's deceptive - just feels like we are running through extra dense air sometimes! Reasonable session nonetheless.

Matt - Lakes at Easter mate, as usual image. Did say "relatively" when I moaned about the hols - my Mrs is self-employed and I'm conscious there are plenty who would love to have even my reduced paid holiday allowance!

Pete - go on, do a really hard PR the day before Wokey - it'll make the rest of us look better image

7.5M xc this morning - felt bloody awful. Knackered and as muddy as you can get! Run home was OK, but definitely time for a rest....

DS racers for me at Wokingham - must take them with me to Devon next week as haven't worn them for ages! Last Wokey was kinda spoilt by severe blisters over the last 3 miles....bigger issue is to NOT eat too many cream teas, chips and beer next week though!

• Talking of pre race park runs, I am in the Dales for a cycling trip for 4 days the week before the London marathon, who thinks that's a stupid idea?

I know what you mean about the mud, Bus, my XC commute was very muddy and wet. Had to urn through a few floods too.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

This HM business. When I started running, It seemed a very long way. The sheer distance was the problem.

Later I read somewhere that the HM was more like an elongated 10k, and that speed was the vital component. All the author suggested for endurance was one run per fortnight lasting 90 minutes.

I operated in this area for quite a while.

Now it's looking like a long way again.image.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I think it was the apparent ease that stood out for me. I've seen people say it's a  hard workout, but never as easy as you found it.

Does your belief stretch to other distances? Could you do 3miles at 10k outright for instance?

And as the energy and rantiness has worn off a bit, as a make up  present get involved with this below

20% off Sweatshop orders code

(use it quickly.  Just got 2xwave riders for £70!

Yes 3 miles at 10k would be like doing a 19 min parkrun which has been fairly easy for me on a fast course. My problem has always been stamina, rightly identified by you and others as being due to inadequate mileage which I've been trying to rectify.Thanks for the code, will take a look.

• I won't buy anything from the Sweatshop.

PMJ - You mentioned something about Dorney, can you run there or is it private, it's about 3.5 miles form my work so potentially I could do my LT run at lunch there.

• AG, Dorney is private but anyone and everyone uses it.

Pete - DS Trainer has 10mm drop so probably like most of your normal trainers.

Ric HM is a long way!

Thanks for the code SG. Is that one of the bye-bye parkrun codes?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah sorry Andrew, I expect you buy your trainers from ethically sourced companies,perhaps that come with a video of the shaman who hand knits them. image

The what Iron? Nah, it was simply me just smashing "discount code sweatshop" into google on the pure off chance!

Pete, i can only think your zones aren't as hard set as some of ours. Not quite like my pal at work who does his long runs at the same pace as his half marathons(!) but a little like that image

I think you could blow the back doors off some of your pace zones. Remind me of your usual mileage, was it quite low if i vaguely remember correctly and biking supplemented?

ps Dorney Lake, that'd be a great course to do a 5k on in a quality field. ie not one of those dodgy high price, dodgy company, pony standard ones!

I did Dorney 10k once, and it was fairly decent standard, but not as high as it could have been. Think i got a pb out of it though, as it's a lovely surface in the main and obviously super flat.
    Shame in a way the Dashers seemed to change it to some MT job? Hardly like for like,

• You're forgetting about the Dorney wind SG.

5km as 1 loop would be nice, but half of that in to wind... I've done some races there where the run leg is 1.25km long so 2x out and back. Apart from the dead turns it's a nice way to get a good 5km time and break it down.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

SG, thanks for the helpful suggestions; pardon my ignorance but what are hard set zones? I work off 1k pace 3'30, 5k 6'00, 10k 6'15, 10m 6'20, HM 6'25; no MP as no interest. Is that enough or should I be more sophisticated? Weekly mileage 30 now, was 25 last year and add about 100 per week casual on either MTB or Road Bike. 

• Stevie G wrote (see)

yeah sorry Andrew, I expect you buy your trainers from ethically sourced companies,perhaps that come with a video of the shaman who hand knits them. image

Maybe I should have stated the reasons to avoid your false conjecture. Actually I find internet companies offer a much better returns policy, price and customer service. Even before Gashley took over I would avoid it as they'd try and sell  you some ill advised foot orthotic fitted by a cretin that attended a couple of training days; or whatever the current running trend was at the time. Five fingers anyone?

I don't mind Sports Direct as they are like Ryan Air, honest about the fact it's low cost crap and they don't want you coming back to get a refund. Sweatshop is much more dishonest as it now masquerades as a proper running shop rather than a load of crap tat with bankrupt legacy sports labels glued on.

I did a 10k at Dorney, is was windy but I got my current PB there. I looked on their website and they say it's ok for the public to use. I guess it may have been a kind of condition of the Olympic funding.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah that Mike Ashley eh, puts you off Sweatshop for sure.

I wonder who Sports Direct's owner is....