Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

I suppose you're right AG but as I only do a couple of halves a year I like to try for decent times (by my standards!). 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Pete, admit it. Missing your regular parkrun gnaws away at you like nothing else.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If there are 40 mph winds on Sunday, I'm doing it at marathon effort or not running at all.  There would be no point whatsoever trying to hammer it..

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
  • Options

Wimps. You runners are so precious image

• Options
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Wimps. You runners are so precious image

When there are 40mph winds I don't get on my bike either. image

Scott, I think SC did 6 sets of 600 steady / 20 secs / 600 fast, with 90 secs between sets.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ha Pete, I think the band Queen foresaw parkruns back in 1975 with 

"Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon"

I go out to work on a Monday morning
    Tuesday I go off to honeymoon
    I'll be back again before it's time for Sunny-down,
    I'll be lazing on a Sunday afternoon
    Bicycling on every Wednesday evening
    Thursday I go waltzing to the Zoo
    I come from London town, I'm just an ordinary guy,
    Fridays I go painting in the Louvre
    I'm bound to be running a parkrun on Saturday morning,
    I'll be lazing on a Sunday
    lazing on a Sunday
    lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I had one of my best results one incredibly windy day.

In the race itself I saw the leader Derek Brown get blown a full 180 degrees by a cross wind; the look of shock horror he had as our eyes met (briefly) was something to behold.

I'd already had a stroke of luck when a major rival who was tucked in behind me into the gale was hit ( with great force and furious anger) by the 2 mile marker board which the wind had torn from the grasp of a marshall.image.

In PMJ terms. Yes that was lucky, but I'll take it.

🙂

• Options
    That's what I meant Lit image thanks!

How do we think 13 @MP works vs the chat about 3 @10km pace? I am sure obviously it's much tougher on the body!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

I'd say 13 @MP would be tougher but still comfortable. I reckon these sessions are easier for me compared to the guys on here that have set paces that I guess are much closer to their full potential.

• Options

I think 3 @ 10k pace would be much more difficult and that 13 @ MP would be okay.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I think 13 at MP is easier than doing a similar run for shorter distances, so 6.5 @ HMP, 3 @10K or 1.5 @ 5K.  Marathon pace in a race should feel very manageable up to about 20 miles if you're going to be able to gut out the last 10K without the pace falling off, whereas I would certainly not feel comfortable at an equivalent point in a half marathon or 10K.

I've done 13 @ MP in training.  In fact, I've done 15.  6.5 @ HMP would be very hard indeed in training, and I'm not sure I could do 3 @ 10K pace in training at all.

• Options

I've not done 13, but I've done 12 @ MP in training on the way to work, before breakfast, wearing a rucksack. I too am not sure I could do 3 @ 10k pace in training, and don't plan to try.

• Options

If you gave the choice of which session I had to do, I would do the 3 miles @ 10k. If you gave me the choice and offered me £10k if I could hit the pace, obviously I would do the MP.

• Options

|'ll run Wokingham as hard as I can whatever the weather SG, but then I haven't got a target marathon coming up! Besides, i'm too tight to waste the entry fee image

Shame though, as there are few flat halves locally to get a good time on the board for the year. As for timing SG, I did try to get them to move half-term for me but they wouldn't image

5.5k on the treadmill today with 2k at 6mM pace - that was hard enough!!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Still don't get it. I agree with the consensus that the longer the distance pace you're targeting, the easier to do half of it at that pace. However if you can find somewhere that's flat, traffic free, still(!) and tarmac isn't half the distance at a pace you can do the full distance relatively easy, even as a training run? Yes you'd know you'd had a good workout but surely not impossible.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Not for me Pete.

But I suppose if my training paces were worked out from races where I'd gone slower than optimal cos I'd done a parkrun the day before, they'd be easier to hit. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah the classic pre race sandbagging bollockry, I miss it.

Pete, do 50-60miles a week for a few years, get some pbs that you probably won't beat, and THEN try and do 3miles at 10k pace as a solo training run.

I guarantee you, you won't be doing it "easily", if you can do it at all.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

I'd say 13 @MP would be tougher but still comfortable. I reckon these sessions are easier for me compared to the guys on here that have set paces that I guess are much closer to their full potential.

Yep. Cos how are you setting your MP for starters?

ps Hang on, reading back, how can you possibly say 3m 10k pace would be easier, bearing in mind your 10k pb is likely to be a  lot closer to your potential than the HM and Marathon ones would be?

Off that strolled out sub 3 job at MK, or off the half marathons where you've crumbled near the end due to a lack of proper distance training? Neither are the stuff of accurate zone-arge.

• Options

MP is set based on a combination of gut feel and the time I am aiming for. No point me using the 2:59. I am aiming in the range of 2:45-2:50. Hoping to get closer to 2:45 as the plan progresses.

First and only MP run so far was 18 w 10 and it came out at 6:28 so 2:49. That was without any real high mileage base. I would expect to get faster. It's that lack of mileage that currently makes it a harder session for me.

My 10k PB is probably in line with the HM one 35:33 vs 1:18:46. The 10k was a few days after an out of the blue 21 miler I did to see if it was possible to run the Milton Keynes marathon. I reckon I could run more than 3 miles @ 5:45 in a training run but not at the moment, my legs are goosed!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's a challenge for you.

For a man who trains after getting smashed by a car, and who does 21milers off jack all build up, why not, just why not,

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Pete, admit it. Missing your regular parkrun gnaws away at you like nothing else.

Chuckled at this, well played Ric F. image

I can picture Pete each week turned out in his "100" vest, proudly showing it off to the ladies.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Andrew G wrote (see)

Yes Scott I am also doing Wokingham. I am on a steep mileage increase so it's probably coming a bit early in the plan for me to do well but you never know.

10 miles recovery run home last night and then a slight miscalculation on my route back which turned out to be 17 miles, mostly off road. I had better ease off for the rest of the week, there's a 13 in the plan for Friday which I will probably change to a short run with a few strides or something.

All the best to those with niggles etc.

SG - Why not do parkrun as a little tempo session and see what happens, may be a good way to get the appetite whetted for racing again?

If I was where I was 4 weeks ago, I'd probably have had a crack by now, having finally ended the limbo of waiting for doc's results.
    Just waiting to properly get this cold out the system, which is a bit frustrating. Getting there....0, 40 and 30miles in 3 days, the progression.

Get a 60 in this week, hopefully get a tempo in next week/and or reps, and then maybe the week after get one in.

• Options
    2:14:20 new indoor 1km WR. That's pretty fast
  • Options
    ...and 59 secs for the 500m world record too! All going a bit mental over there!!

Oh and the reps last night were steady-20 secs-effort-90 secs x 6. As all sessions go its knackering, but on the list of sessions, not one of the worst.

Did about 10 today, bloody hard work, legs in bits.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG, you won't impress in only a '100' top anymore, you're a bit out of touch! Surely we can all train our own way and don't have to do 50-60 mile weeks. To set some of these 'real' pbs you talk of I would probably have to be near 90% WAVA scale!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There is one fantastic achievement for parkrun, which is getting vast numbers of people up and running, anything, at all.

When I ran the Blackpark event five years ago it was as one of around 150 runners. Now it's 500 plus. 

The number of first timers never ceases to impress. There always seems to be masses of them. So new runners.

It's one runner doing vast numbers of parkruns; especially the same one, which I find puzzling. Sorry Pete, I can't see what so gripping about them.

As for pb's. I've left those behind nearly two decades. The WAVA % however, come to the rescue. 

Hills this morning. Crap slow but worked the slope for 60 minutes in 40 second bursts off 20 second recovery. Three and a bit efforts got me all the way up. Jog all the way back down. HR peaked at 164 bpm.

To think I could once do this hill in one go in under 2 minutes. 

🙂

• Options
    Armagh 5km tonight - 67 runners inside 15 minutes.

Winner 14:03..Deep quality field

Would love more of these races to be around. I see lots of discussion about depth and lots of pics on FB about races over the last 30 years that now don't exist but also the depth has seemingly vanished. I wouldn't care for position unless I was at that top level, for me it's time vs myself. I love a win when I am able too though image

I think WAVA is a better mark Ric, trouble for me is the age I'm at!

Got my head round the session SC and that's good going, I have a similar one planned next week I think which I nicked

6 X 1km / 400 alternating . Unsure of recoveries though
  • Options

Armagh always has some top quality runners in it. People come from far and wide to do it.

This week has been a sweatfest in the gym. Felt really shitty on Monday after being out all day Sunday, jet lag etc. The gym is proper hot and even an easy jog on the treadmill is hard work. I thought my cold was still lingering so didn't do any speedwork this week. I think the travel and sleep made things a bit harder.

Off out tomorrow for a run outside - I'll get a taxi out then run around and back to the hotel. Then off to Taipei on the train for sightseeing. Very expensive trip (about £6).

Good luck to those doing the Wokey Cokey and to those seeking to get a first finisher at parkrun, or Fitbit or whatever it is called these days.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Flying Dutchman running on Groundhog Day.image.

🙂