Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta, I will try. I have 3months to meddle around with this.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I use Garmin connect courses to plot routes which uses OS. If your watch is fancy enough (like mineimage you can download the route to your watch and navigate with it.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hello.  I have no idea how long it has been since I posted... November maybe after Ric calling me out for "sheltering" at the Fraserburgh HM...image

I've been lurking but not much interesting worth posting.  I've ran a couple of XC races since then.  North District XC champs in Elgin in December which was absolutely brutal.  Allegedly 10k (but definitely nowhere near 10k distance) in 39:18 for 34th place and Haddo House XC in January which was not quite so brutal but pretty tough.  Allegedly 6 miles (but WAY longer at about 6.6 miles!) in 41:48 for 13th place.

Training for Inverness HM which is on Sunday has gone pretty well.  I had 6 days off due to a bad cold / sinus infection (undiagnosed...) and a week or so after that of not really being on it.  I've averaged over 40 mpw so far this year, which should really have been more like 50mpw but I've had a few lower weeks and that week with the cold was only about 4 miles!  Some pretty decent sessions in there and hoping to get in and around 82 mins at the weekend (PB sitting at 83:49).

Last long run before the race on Sunday - aimed to go out and do 6 miles easy; 4 miles HMP, which I was going to run progressively from about 6:20 - 6:15 but I ballsed up the new route and missed a turn meaning that I was running up a massive long hill for the 4th of those HMP miles and was still over 2 miles from home!  HMP miles came out at 6:18/6:16/6:28/7:11, ran a slow mile then decided to run another proper HMP for the final mile home - legs felt pretty tired, but realised they were turning over very nicely so cranked it up and ran the final mile in 5:55.  Expected a bit of payback yesterday from that effort, but 20 mins recovery run and I was having to hold myself back!  30 mins easy this morning and I'm bloody itching to get to Sunday...!!

I've had a bit of a read back, but it's hard to keep up!

Sounds like most are in full flow apart from SG and SE, but SG is still cranking out 60mpw... and I can't imagine SE will sit still for long image

Some good marathon training by the looks of it too.  None of that nonsense on the horizon for me with baby number 2 due to arrive in a few months!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hello.  I have no idea how long it has been since I posted... November maybe after Ric calling me out for "sheltering" at the Fraserburgh HM...image

I might have had the odd 'senior' moment; or two, or three, but this has me wondering. Where's Fraserburgh? never heard of it.

🙂

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I can't believe you've never heard of Scotland's leading light, Ric. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No I haven't heard of Fraserburgh, but I have heard of Scotland, which reminds me. Yesterday I had a routine old man bowel screening.

Ee Gods!

Let's say that when my wife overheard a women later saying the procedure was the worst she's ever endured, I knew I wasn't mistaken. A bit uncomfortable.

Still, at least the culprit was dealt with,

/members/images/493151/Gallery/bruce.jpg

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Moving swiftly on....

I've heard of Fraserburgh Lit.

Mind you, I've heard of almost anywhere in the UK.  I spent most of my childhood staring at maps.  I bloody love maps.

Fraserburgh is of course known for having the world's 7th oldest links golf club, and for its thriving fishing harbour. Notable Fraserburghers include the serial killer Dennis Nilsen.

The banner of the Fraserburgh tourist site is a picture of a wrecked fishing boat.  Any town that takes that kind of delight in another's misfortune is fine by me.

Good luck for the half CC82, gotta be a PB in there for you.

As for me, managed my 101 miles last week.  Due to time constraints, my Sunday morning run left me at 99.2.  I don't normally go out and do a run just for the sake of an arbitrary figure, but that would have just pissed me off, so I'm afraid I did on this occasion.  Bit of a lighter week this week leading up to the inter counties, but did do 13 with 6 x 4 minutes on grass yesterday at about 5 mile effort.  No idea on pace, my Garmin ran out of juice so I just wore a stopwatch.  Probably not anything scorching. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lovely Ric - something to look forward to image

Good work Dachs - 101 is a zillion times more satisfying than 99! I love maps too...

Sorry, used a ! but didn't start that sentence with "how" or "what" so apologies to HM Gov....

Hi CC82 image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes Bus, they inflate your rear end with compressed CO2 and if anything is 'hanging around' it wants 'out'.

And does, if the sound of the suction pipe is anything to go by.

In the meanwhile; while a camera on a pole is sent around the houses, you feel your guts are going to explode under the pressure.

Nice!

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

That's got me squirming in my chair...

Haven't heard of Fraserburgh?  Home to the best running club in the world?

Unbelievable.

101 in a week Dachs - that's tremendous.  62ish is about my highest ever week so far.  I follow Steve Way's training blog and that tires me out just reading it.

Last "session" before the HM for me today.  17 mins easy followed by 10x 1 min (faster than 5k pace was the brief) off 1 min jog then another 27 mins cool down.

The 1 min intervals ranged from about just sub 5 pace to 5:27/mile.  Major difference between the odd and evens due to slight incline/headwind combo.  Averaged out at 5:13/mile per rep which is 3k in 9:43 (apparently, I didn't go and calculate this all out, honest...).  If I could run a straight 3k in 9:43, I would be bloody delighted, so I'm pretty happy with how the legs are turning over.  Just a couple of easy runs before Sunday now image

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

and to think I decided not to mention I had to do a **** in a bush on my run this morning.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Is that bush botanical, or anatomical?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

In truth it was a field.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I had nothing compared to our man Scott E.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, you had enough time to do what would obviously be a huge long run out of a 99.2mile week...but didn't have time to do the extra 0.8miles? That's ridiculous son. But well done on the eventual 101. But are you ok though...getting a little mad now?

Poo stories..what is it with you runners? I wouldn't dream of mentioning that at my worst I'd have about 60seconds to immediately find somewhere to evacuate. Random gardens, standing into a bush with some old woman 50metres away, on grassy pavements, and many many other places. Bad old days.

Runs are feeling quite nice again (relatively speaking in the context), getting to somewhere near where I was before the cold 5 weeks ago...

So much so that on today's run it wasn't all about thinking "this breathing aint right", I was having a furious angry power run, at the early parking spaces being full by 7.00. Managed to take a corner too fast and ended up sat in a puddle massively gashed up scratched knee. Haven't done one of those for a while. But I did sit there pretending to do my laces up while some guy asked if I was ok.

"yeah mate, just doing my laces"  I shouted back

"BURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNS"     I thought.

Get through this week with the tedious 6&4 x5 with a 10ish Sunday, then next week i'll at least mix a little up.

• Serious mileage going on here..101 from the map man Dachs (sadly I'm just the same and have passed it to my boy too image. )

SG - Not quite as embarrassing as my fall outside Euston tho image

Hopefully my annoying IT band issue has passed now, although last Thursday nights knee locking incident was a bit worrying (had to hobble half of the way home). Through a couple of massages, lots of squats and quad stuff and some new trainers it seems to be sorted...but no intercounties for me. I'm horrifically unfit and would have been very near the back. I could race, but need to think about myself a bit.

Newcastle away on the lash was good on Saturday and a tidy result to boot. Hoping to get a proper decent run in at the weekend, Cardiff looming...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You're falling apart Simon !

Looked nasty on FB SG (don't get me started on your journey to work again though image

Track today, for the first time in an age. It was hard work! Also, the track was very slippery having not been used much over the winter. I had to keep in the worn bit of lane 1 to maintain traction.

2.5M warm up, then 5x800m with 400m jog rec in 2:49, 2:51, 2:52, 2:52, 2:49. I blame not using flats and the slippery surface for slow pace rather than my lack of speed image

• Simon I saw some signs in Cardiff about the HM. Has it moved from the normal Sep/Oct timeframe?

Back on the minibus Bus? Solid reps even though you did them in heels.

SG you're still peddling the 60+ mpw but 'can't race'image

3x1mi reps today off 1mi RI. 10km effort was the order of the day and they came out at 5km pace. The first two felt positively comfortable. Yesterday was a rest day (despite driving to Wales and back) so this probably had something to do with it.Odly enough after the first rep my RH calf cramped for about 2s then released leaving a tight upper calf.

Broke out my lighter trainers for this one as I intend to use them at Fleet next weekend. My day-to-day trainers have almost 350km on them so 66% through their useful life. I may go back to Asics on the next rotation and try something like a DS trainer.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

SG, be careful old chap. Dachs you are running more than I am cycling at the moment.

Good to hear the IT issue has passed SC.

Iron - I don't understand. Why have you decided your trainers have a useful life of 330 miles? I think I change mine after about 500 miles although I don't count them. Good luck at Fleet, what you targeting?

Nice reps, Bus. I actually visited the M'head track today as part of a 9 w 5 x 600m.

Felt a bit rusty to start, opening with a 2:05 but progressed to 2:02, 2:02, 2:00 & 1:55. Didn't want to go mad as it's a marathon after all but let myself off the leash a little on the last one.

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    Iron - I don't understand. Why have you decided your trainers have a useful life of 330 miles? I think I change mine after about 500 miles although I don't count them. Good luck at Fleet, what you targeting?

The past couple of years have shown that I get more niggles/injuries at some point after 300mi, so if I start looking at 300mi by the time I have new trainers I will be 400-500mi in. I'd rather change too early than too late.

89:59. Anything else is a bonus.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yes Bus, let's not go through that again, You'd have to look at the whole picture to see why it makes sense the way I do it. In much the same way that I'd have to see your full picture to work out the insistence on always doing 1/2mile reps, plus doing long hilly runs whatever your pain status image

Iron, i could race tomorrow...at 6.55miling. But I'm used to being a small town face, so coming 73rd at the Gash Lake 10k when I'm used to being top 5-10 wouldn't be of any point.
    Nice turnout also. Although even now I read your piece and first thing in mind is "what the heck is RI" (i eventually get itimage )

AG, ta...nothing in the scheme of things compared to your getting knocked over action...and hopefully nothing i do ever will be like that!!

Agred on the 300miles thing...that is low!!

I always used to change in t he 500+ vicinity...but now i do 2/3 strong stretches, I've found they often do more like 750. Now that's much better wear!

• Gash Lake image is that more competitive than the Cock & Biscuits 10km or even more of a pot hunt than the Marlow 5 team prize?

Speaking of which, as the non-racing team manager have you sorted a MTSG team out for this year's event. Unfortunately I'm away so you'll have to make do with someone else (as if). It doesn't clash with parkrun so Pete might be able to raceimage .

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Er sort of SG, though I haven't done 1/2M reps for over a year image  Last year was a good mix of 400, 800, 1200 and 5k tempo (not that it did any bleedin' good mind image). Did it today as it's a good general purpose rep and indicator of speed (or lack of...)

I wonder if there is an 800m record in heels?

IC - I also start looking for new shoes at around 300M in - as you say, usually takes 100M to get them, then I semi-retire them to work. Always good to rotate them toot as it gives a chance for the mid-sole to rebound.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just binned a pair of trainers I've run in since 2011. They were still ok but the uppers were letting in debris. 

I don't expect too much from shoes, though that pair were getting long runs put through them over four years ago and two weeks back I did 15 in them. So maybe they had 1000's on them.

I've also had shoes which I've worn once and thrown away.

I've also a pair of Salomons in which I've run no more than a couple of miles. They're racers of some sort. One day I'll give them a go.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Salomon-S-Lab-Sense.jpg

Shame to get them dirty mind.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

over a year Bus?! Blimey, how long have I not been paying attention on this thread...well it is 8months since my last race, my word time does zoom away.

Iron, so infuriated by losing to that bunch of saps last year, and the outrage that the original form said a team was 4, and the winners only had 3 (and Phil almost ruined himself when ill to make sure we had a 4 man team), we're hitting back in FEROCIOUS form this year.

Dachs heads the team, Cooray's in and Ben Livesey too.

Beat that for a social team you other chancers! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps a man as tight as Bus looks to replace just normal runaround trainers at 300miles?

Unbelievable scenes.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not paying attention now SG image. Both Iron and I said we start to look for new ones at 300M! I rarely throw road trainers away, but just sort of semi-retire them - I've got around 8 pairs at work that I'm milking a few more miles out of one way or another. Trail and fell shoes on the other hand generally just ending up falling apart and/or rotting....

General rule is racing flats get binned somewhere between 3-400M depending on how crispy the midsole gets and if the uppers last, trainers I'll try to get at least 500 out of but, reduce distances in them past 400.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

so you won't need my services for your team then SGimage

Ordered a new pair of my usual Asics Nimbus today and over £100 for the first time even shopping around. I want at least 500 miles for that!

Advice please forumites; should I do Fleet HM (have an entry but don't care about ditching it as very much in the Ric "you buy an option to run" school) or should I do Maidenhead 10 miler 5 days later instead? Prefer racing 10 to HM any day and Fleet likely to be an anti-climax after Wokingham but part of me thinks I should try another half whilst for once I am properly trained for the distance.I suppose the other big thing is Maidenhead being a Friday takes the parkrun dilemma out of the equationimage 

• Ric - Thanks but anything up that passage is still really unpleasant so I feel for you! At least I have loads of painkillers being plugged into me often!

CC - Congrats on number 2 baby. You've been away but I have sill seen huge consistency via Strava, is this still Johnas at work? You really deserve a big PB

SG - Up and down and mental his you still do 60 MPW! I've heard good things about mildronate sounds like it'll sort you right out

Nice reps Bus and AG! Track! It's not track season yet is it??

Good luck Sunday IC

I've set a tracker to look to change my shoes after 500 miles, at this rate it'll take me a bloody year anyway image my current ones are on 400 odd but in great condition so I think I could see out another full month plus whatever I run in March which would perhaps add on another 2-300

Dachs, insane mileage kudos to fitting it in around all the kids and stuff. I know you commute run to make up some of it but really good. I smell the result at VLM cooking up nicely

Pete - is there a chance to PB over the 10m? Is that worth it? You've seemed to sway mentally that way which if you run the HM you might sub consciously think that you would have done better in the 10 and thus under perform... You could still parkrun the day Maidenhead after as a recovery run to get the attendance numbers in anyway

Question for Dean if he is around ? Or anyone else actually who might know or help? (Just that I've seen Dean start track work now)

When is the transition phase generally start for track season? And the season normally start?

Pretty good recovery wise for me, literally been led down for 9 days now since the op. Today is 10. Managed to walk after about the 5th day for 10 minutes and yesterday was my first poo with minimal pain image

I would like to think I will run again, I think I'd be able to next week. I'm back in Southamtpon Monday so that would be he earliest chance...I've been considering letting it go to be honest though. Maybe I enjoy being lazy image and I feel constant setbacks it's just a bloody effort
    Pain is weakness leaving the body