Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How quick was he when not being a pansy assed woofter though Ric? imageimage

Phil, work Slough move is now 3months away, so starting to scope out potential route. Looked up that "Windsor Hill" bit you mentioned, and I didn't realise it was just on the Wooburn green basically. And at the top of that, it's fairly familiar in places from when I used to drive to see a girl who lives in Burnham (her family home is about 1.5miles from the Trading estate).

I suppose the main difficultings, is that it's relying on slightly dodgy grass verges in places, and a few road crossings. Maybe fine the times you've run it, say early Sats, but will it be safe enough early working days?

Will have to test it. Ideally it'd be a perfect way to get the midweek long in, It's 12miles to drive, but looks 10miles to actually run.

If it was safe it might even be worth just doing a single 10 some days instead of 6&4s, although "quality" sessions will require extra thought.

Plenty of thinking time though. I did put together some stupid plans involving run/training in, but I believe our new office almost "perfectly" splits the 2 stations, meaning they're each a mile apart, which obviously isn't much distance, but is still a 15-20min walk, or a completely pointless run, having done the main runner earlier.

• Options
    Interesting HR stats Ric. My HM session yesterday was done straight from waking up. I'd normally expect HR to be about 180 for HM effort though I was consistently faster.

Later on in the day the penny dropped. 175 was HM effort as I'd been out of bed for 50mins by the time the session finished (first 10min was WU). 180 is 'awake' HR.

I think I know some of that ridge SG. Lovely hills around Hedsor and a good blast down to Taplow passed Cliveden.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Definitely Iron - plenty of scope to do most of it off-road SG - much more pleasant run to work and no worries about ending up as road-kill image

Age makes warming up a much more prolonged and important affair Ric!!

Good double today, now the ground is firming up nicely after all that mud! Felt very tired on the 7.2 this morning, but pace came out OK. Tonight's was great though - first off-road sub 8mM for several months, despite running in near darkness and having done 40 fairly tough miles in 4 days. I actually felt pretty strong for once and light on my feet. It's funny how everything seems easier and more fun when it goes well. Not quite niggle free, but as close as I seem to get these days!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, The guy in tracksters (Kevin O'Connor of Watford Harriers) once ran 64 minutes for a HM. 

I could be wrong but I believe some sort of unresolved injury/condition stopped him running not long after. Puts things into perspective as he's about my age.

Day two of the warm up experiment.

Faster today from the off. After 10 minutes I progressively cranked up the pace until the HR hit mid 160's.

Changed into possible race kit; as I did yesterday, and repeated the same sectors. The 250m strides came out as 5:35's. The first long sector was a 5:43 and the final longer section was a 5:48 with the HR settled at 173 bpm.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Ric, when I had my lactate test I was told that when warming up I should be doing a couple of minutes with my HR in my threshold zone. I was/probably still am in the mould of a bit of a jog, few strides at best then away we go. Far more than what you see at races or parkruns as there's so many that set off after just a walk to the start line.

Dachs, I hope it's not the nail in the coffin for your marathon. I know when I was having trouble with my calfs with 4 weeks to go I was going to throw the towel in. Even though I was massively inexperienced in racing a marathon I knew I needed the confidence booster of seeing myself through the training and big sessions. I ended up missing one or two but managed to get the big session in at the end for a bit of confidence. Fingers crossed.

Dean, I do take comfort in reading that you do sometimes struggle with a session and its good to actually hear that someone with your speed can throw 2.40+ 800 in. image

I wish I had your patience in regards to taking a step back, ease off and then go again. So many, including myself just try and battle on through in the hope things turn out well.

Good effort on the 10k Bus and some decent running by everyone. I've got Salford 10k next Friday and although I entered a bloody lifetime ago it's less than a week away and I don't recall doing any 10k sessions. Quite a few hill sessions and some decent progressions, tempo/thresholds and I don't seem to be in too bad nick. Absolutely no idea how ill fare which makes a nice change of gunning for a time.

I've the lancs county fell champs race on the Easter Monday which is more of a draw if I'm honest as I want a county vest. Just hope Fridays race doesn't kill Mondays but hey ho.

Threw in a hilly, grassy parkrun today, fell trainers on and trying to kill two birds with one stone. Running a few hills hard and a bit of a sharpener was the plan. Pretty pleased with 17.16 on a bitch of a course. Think 18 mins has been broken half a dozen times in 2 or so years with mine being the second fastest. Only Tom Cornthwaite has run sub 17 and he's not a bad un!image
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

ML, 17 mins for a 5k is good by my standards on any course. Funny how I once considered running that time as something I'd do en route during a longer race.

Funny as 16:27 was the fastest I ever ran in a race on the track.

SEAA Road Relays tomorrow. 

The legs are either short or long but at 2.72 & 4 miles I'd call those both short. The new course is on a cyclo way in Kent. Looks good. Flat clean tarmac.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I think that's the same with the northerns that are in Sunderland. 2 or 4 miles. They were supposed to be in Stockport which is 30 mins away. Now it's 3 hours away for a 4 mile leg then back home.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Impressive stuff Matt and see you beat the 2nd home by a full 3 minutes which is some going! 

Decided to do Fleet HM today ahead of the alternative of Maidenhead 10 as the weather looked perfect and I'd missed the online entry deadline for the latter. Set off aiming to hold 6'20 for as long as possible to aim to be close to my recent Wokingham HM time. All went to plan for the first 10 miles with the modest undulations this course has meaning variations of a few seconds per mile either side. Reached 10 in just under 64 and still seemed to have a fair bit in the locker and actually going by a few for once. From there it was all about not letting the pace slacken much whilst knowing mile 13 has quite a climb for about 800 metres. Through 12 in 77'10 meant 1.1 needed covering in 6'50 to get under 84 which was my top target at the start of the year. Mile 13 was predictably tough and took 6'20 going full throttle so needed a serious sprint to get under 1'24. Fortunately it was downhill a bit and wriggled in for 1'23'59 for a new HM pb. Very pleased to see they hadn't scored it 1'24 and that I chose to do my 2nd (and probably last) HM for the year while I was still trained for the distance. Back to short stuff again nowimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice to hit a target Pete. I hope you didn't do a parkrun the day before, but expect you did. Also can't beat those "just under" times. Nice work.

Nothing so grand from me. Just aimed to do 6.5 out taking the potential run route to Slough, and then back. Clearly, I wasn't going to do all 10miles then run back, as I'm not in the business of 20milers. Might do half of it and bus/train back on a working day.

6.57 pace, longest run for about 2months.

Think it's going to be a bit too dodgy to do on a working day safety wise. 

There's a short hill section where you can escape onto 400m of offroad field (although I clocked my breathing sounded like something a 90 year old seriously overweighter would sound like - most offputting), and then a lot of it is on 60 zone roads that have very changeable status of pavements. They either change from side to side, or there simply isn't one. I'd imagine the road gets super busy, so couldn't see it as a sensible regular route.

The one bit when I realised how dodgy it can be was when one car flew by me, and then another did the same, and put insane acceleration on to overtake him (with a car in the opposite direction about 800metres away), and then slowed to about 10miles an hour to take a sharp left about 50metres ahead of the overtake. Insane driving that could have cost everyone involved a nasty accident. Stopped at some Lambourne club, which I can only imagine is some Tossers country club.

Were a couple of woody footpaths, might have to explore where they lead. Phil...am thinking of the road by the Royal Standard, any idea where they magic out?

Would have been interesting idea to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and would sound heroic to the work sloths, but perhaps just drive there, with all the gear, and have it, and my own transport to hand is the far easier one.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Great stuff, Pete. Cutting it fine with the sub 1:24.

Impressive PR, Matt.

Dachs, hope everything works out with the hip.

I have an injury of my own at the moment. Soreness at the back of the knee. I had to rest Saturday but it felt ok today so I did the 18 w 14 @MP. The leg started to hurt after 6 miles but I managed to finish the session.

It actually went quite well. I felt the leg was the limiting factor, otherwise I could have pushed the pace more. Came out at 6:17 for the MP, exactly the planned pace and 6:32 for the 18. I have to say it felt pretty easy, HR was round 160 or 82% MHR. The range in the P&D book is 79-88% so I'd say it was low end but allowing for drift in the latter stages looks like I could push it a bit more.

However my leg is a worry and may mean a bit of time off so not quite the confidence boost it would have been.

Nice long one SG, 20 milers are fun.

• Options

There are a myrad of paths round there SG. It might take you a year to get to grips with it. You may have to buy a bikeimage. A good long one though, nice effort.

Well done Pete. One of the many familiar faces (including AG's nemesis) that I saw in the results but didn't see in the melee.

Keep an eye on that niggle AG. Take from it what you can - distance a pace a confidence booster regardless.

Thusly onwards to Fleet HM. In a carbon copy of Pete's report the first 10 miles were reasonably uneventful. Enough undulations to keep the mind on the job but not too much of a stretch. Some effort needed on the downhills towards the end of that stretch and a little mental negativity. 10mi shy of 68mins per plan riding the 90minute pacing train.

Then the elastic started to stretch. And the gel taken at 7mi started to argue with the stomach. Up to 7mi it was cups of water, at 7mi it was stupid pouches that none of us could open and so I was gulping air and not water.I only wanted a little sip and to throw some over my head.

The stitch hit at 17km and brought me to a crashing standstill, followed by lots of walking and shuffling. The mansuit got zipped up a little bit and by 19km I was on a steady jog pulling it from 6min/km all the way up to a finish-line 3:15/km.

All in for 95:37 chip which is a PB by more than 2m30 albeit with a 2012 soft PB image . I'm happy with this and I'm actually happy with the stitch as I have been plagued with similar problems when racing longer distance duathlons so at least I know I cannot handle nutrition at pace now, and I need to feed in a watered-down manner on the bike to avoid this.

So it's game on until May when it is off to Copenhagen for a LD duathlon (with correct nutrition strategy). Then I'll find a nice 10miler and race it at HM pace and head off the Amsterdam in October to nail a HM properly.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good PBing Iron and Pete - wishing I'd done Fleet as well now image

SG - you need to check out the OS map to see where all the footpaths and bridleways are - a quick glance shows you could cut off nearly all the roads, depending on where in Slough you need to get to. Bing maps can show OS layers at 1:50,000 and 1:25000 for detail, or even better, work it out on "bikehike" and you can upload the route to your Garmin.

AG - take it easy with that niggle -there's a lot at stake!

Good Parkrunning Matt.

Hilly off-road LSR for me today. Bit slow, and felt pretty dreadful for the middle section of it, with the old adductor flaring up once again. Seemed to recover over the last couple of miles to 15 today and 55 for the week (not 70 as Strava insists!). A bit sobering to look back at the training log for last year, as virtually the same run was covered over 15 mins quicker, two weeks in a row!

• Options
    Very nice PBs Pete and Iron!

Good running, Ric coming back to it, AG and PMJs long run via strava

Matt and SG - solid

Being a bit pissed off today so a bit biased but anyone who ran Eastleigh was seemingly in PB shape, top 100 I think everyone did bar maybe 5 who are either seasoned runners who have PBs from prime or unattached and can't see... not quite sure what's going on but some magical results being thrown up too and some people taking 1-2 minutes of their PBs going into the 31s who hadn't broke 33 in the last year too, and an U-15 running 32:50 despite not running under 16:30 for 5km ....

Kudos though! Great running!

Dachs hoping the niggle is nothing! The only possibly good thing is if it came quick (trauma) you'll need time off but it's more clearer rehab wise that something you've been covering for months and is over use which could mean more time out. I think Matt is right, 2 weeks is a lot to miss at such a key time but your body will absorb everything for most of that time and you're unlikely to lose much

I'm on day 19 no exercise. I popped my right calf going up the stairs (which I think after speaking to physio is grade 2 tear) which was the one I tweaked on my last run before my op. I'm unlikely to come back to the running though I've decided. 2 years ago I ran Eastleigh and today showed nothing really has changed and I'm still not anywhere near that time. My body just isn't able I don't think and I've got a long road just to get back fitness post operation. I'm still in pain and still not working
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Thanks Scott.

Baby steps!

Look at SG and where he is. I'm pretty much back to 2013 form after my early 2014 sickness so I think we are all aware that it can take some time to get back up to speed and then even longer to get back to form. In that time you might find a new hunger for running competitively or even just because.

Whatever you choose I'm sure the hasbeens and hacks of RW will still mouldier away on this thread.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Whatever you choose I'm sure the hasbeens and hacks of RW will still mouldier away on this thread.

erm.....thanks for the recognition!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scotty baby, don't be too hasty, just a bad time! You can 100% come back to where you got to, and better. Certainly have a tonne load of years to spare.

Just need to step out of racing/progression mode, and step into a graduated recovery, and for a while be satisfied by that.

There's way too many who have left this thread, but some of them had a heart the size of a pea, and left at the first sign of it not all being very easy. You're not like them, like me you're better than that, and unlike me, there's nothing condition wise that long term may stop you getting back to where you were.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus will check it out, although I was always crap with Geography

AG, wow, 14m MP. Sounds a horrible prospect, unless you do it in a half marathon, which you didn't, so even harder. I did 8 at MP once, although my MP is probably slightly differently defined, but still!

Iron, a pb is a pb is a pb. So well done.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Back from the SEAA Road Relays in Kent.

Wow! what a place to discover how slow a runner you are. I had guys go past me and out of sight in almost a minute. Felt like I was running on stumps.

Actually I had a good run. The course was just over 4 miles with;according to the Garmin, nearly 50m of elevation.

I averaged a mere 6:13 minute miles which despite it's somewhat modest velocity gave me an age grade of close to 81%. In other words, had I run the same % at my best I would have beaten my fastest ever 5k on the track.

Oh the fun of data bases.

The warm up procedure seemed effective enough but I noted none of the rest of the team bothered at all, and they all ran faster. Then again, the next oldest was only a kid of 41.

No injuries or niggles either. Well, until I wake up tomorrow that is.

🙂

• Options
    Edited: Ric is a faster poster so without the link to Scott this doesn't make sense...

Despite ribbing SG about it, I know how hard it is to overcome the negativity post time-off. Knowing that you won't PB or come close to previous results is a pretty big reason not to want to do anything but at some point it is all about stepping up to the plate with big boy pants on.

Use the time to heal and recover. Build up to where you were but without the injuries you had along the way the first time. Take it easy.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Scott, the worse thing you can do when injured or off running is going looking at running results. It was only a few months back that just easy HR running had you running a sub 16 min 5k if I remember rightly.

I've been running 70 miles a week for 3 years and i can't break a 3 year old 10k PB that I ran after 5/6 weeks of no running, I was running about 50 miles a week at the time, mostly on a treadmill and that was 6 weeks post injury. Since then I've upped my mileage, been coached off one of Britians best female distance runners for a short while and another fella who ran for GB nearly 30 times!

Well done on the HM PeteM, great going. Likewise Iron. You can't knock a PB.

That sounds a decent return at the relays Ric. Frightening are the fast lads. Annoying how they make it look easy too.

Great session AG, things are looking well for the marathon.
  • Options

SG, I tend to run that route early Sat am as you say, so traffic is not an issue. There are a lot of paths that can be used so you can do it off road.

20 miles today, first half a bit slower than last week (planned), second half faster (also planned) and overall faster (not planned). Saw the Garmin show sub-6 on one downhill section and that mile was 6:30 and followed that up with a 6:55 on the flat. Now know that sub-3 is not on the cards (6:52 average needed) but won't be far off.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Scott; don't despair as others have said you have loads of years ahead and your best times give you proof you can hack it at a very high level. No reason in a year or so you won't be hitting those again. At my lowly level I had a bad road bike crash in late 2013, came round in hospital and needed 2 pretty serious ops and lots of recovery time. Took a long time to be back where I was pre crash but you get there in the end.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Scott - dont be a plum! image

keep with the running, take your rest and recovery, reset goals, achieve goals, make bigger goals, repeat!  someone who trawls through results doesnt sound like someone who wants to quit, more like someone who is frustrated (quite rightly so)

take your recovery and go again. dont set a target of 32 mins in 8 weeks for example...something a bit more achievable to get the feel good factor again.

i backed you at the start to be good...dont let me down image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Yeah, Scott. Each day since running is a day closer to running again.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice PB Pete, always good to get one that ends with a 59. 

Iron, PBing after having to walk must be a new one for this thread!  Great to see you hit a PB once again, but the new one's got so much slack in it it's ridiculous.  Get another half in the pipeline!

Ric, good running at the relays.

Scott, don't get despondent, and please stop counting the days, it won't help.  You will be back, and you've demonstrated how quickly you can come back into decent shape if you have a run of luck with injuries.

It's definitely a bad idea to check results when injured, but I did look at Eastleigh as well.  I was entered, but had decided before the injury I'd be better served by just focusing on the marathon training instead.  Actually there seemed to be something of a vacuum between 30 and 31:30, which is unusual.  Some of the times look fast, but not outrageously so, and I will point out that your U15 has run 16:20 a year ago, so in that context it makes a bit more sense.

AG - hope that doesn't hinder your training too much.

X-ray this morning will tell me if I've got a fracture, but will need a week for the results.  As it is, my hip is feeling better than it was, and I'm pretty much walking pain free.  Fingers crossed.

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Iron, PBing after having to walk must be a new one for this thread!  Great to see you hit a PB once again, but the new one's got so much slack in it it's ridiculous.  Get another half in the pipeline!

Thanks. I think the old PB had more slack than a pair of adjustable, elasticated-waist, slacks advertised in the back of the Daily Mail. It was 4 years out of date.

It was quite refreshing to wake at a civilised hour without having to pack a bike and all sorts of crap, just pin a number on a vest and go. I'd forgotten what road-racing was like.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good luck, Dachs. Not sure why you need to wait a week for an x-ray though. Normally you get to see it straight away, although that's through my regular A&E visits to the radiographer.

I guess the first available x-ray doesn't coincide with the first available consultant appointment.

I have Physio this afternoon, my money is on some sort of tendonitis or a small muscle tear, there appears to be something called a popliteus muscle that's around the right spot. Probably completely wrong so I'll leave it to the expert.

I also seem to half a cold coming, I am quite pleased this is at the same time as the injury, get it all out of the way hopefully.

• Options

Radiographers are technically competent to operate the equipment but in my experience not so great at reading the results correctly, though I expect a bone fracture is simpler to review. Notwithstanding I'd expect Dachs to be able to see the x-ray there and then.
    Of course then the output has to chunter through the NHS system, once Dr has the results get an appointment, etc. That could be ages away.

You'll be fine Dachsimage

AG, anything else you can load up at the same time?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

AG, anything else you can load up at the same time?

A short custodial term maybe?

X-Ray Man (the all new pyjama-clad publicly-funded superhero) told me they will need to get doctors to review it, so I didn't think to demand to see the photo to utilise my non-expert eye.

To be honest, these processes are all pretty new to me as someone who doesn't bother the health system much, so I don't know I can insist on seeing the x-ray.  My GP on the phone last week asked if I was new to the practice, because my last GP appointments were elsewhere about 12 years ago.  She was surprised I'd been registered with her since 2008.  Seems it's uncommon to not need to see your doctor for a decade.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Great PBs and racing Iron, Pete, Ric and Matt.

14 @ MP solo sounds like some effort AG...!

Scott - I'd give a bollock (probably not literally) to have your running prowess.  You'll be back and smashing it in no time, I'm sure.

Garioch 10k for me on Sunday.  Absolute brute of a course and they've changed it up to add even more hills.  And it was bloody windy (for a change...).  37:44 (PB is 37:41 on a flat course!) and 8th place, which is my highest road race finish.  Pretty chuffed with it.  I sent a race report to the coach, so here's a copy and paste image

Garioch 10k:

Wasn't really sure what to expect here.  I'd been dreaming about going out at sub 37 pace and holding that for the first 5-6k then blasting the second half and nailing gold standard for the club but also keeping an element of realism so as to not just go out at 36:20 pace and blow up badly...

This wasn't really the target race so I wasn't too nervous about it.  Pretty relaxed actually, following the HM PB and really good week of recovery.

The day and night before weren't great though...  Very very busy Saturday, including some heavy lifting etc left me pretty knackered then Ella barely slept because of her cough/temperature.  At one point I'd resigned to the fact I wouldn't be racing.  Sunday morning went better though and I headed off on my own (instead of the planned family jaunt).

Arrived a touch early but not too much.  Saw a few familiar faces and got out for an easy jog warm up with some faster strides.  Lined up at the start and could see barely any familiar faces and even less properly fast guys.  Kenny Wilson was the only really fast guy I recognised and Nicola Gauld would almost certainly 'chick' me.  I started to wonder about placing quite high.  Oh - the other thing - REALLY windy again.  Even Kenny Wilson mentioned it...

Bit of a wait until the starting pistol but we're off and about a million runners pass me in the early ridiculousness but I hold to somewhere between 3:30 and 3:40 pace, trying not to go out too quick like at Brodie.  Second half of the first km is downhill though and I decide I should use the downhills as much as possible and clock a 3:37 which doesn't seem too outrageous.

Then the climbing starts.  I'm already passing people regularly by this point.  3:40 second km and feeling good.  Then the REAL climbing starts.  The pace slows but I'm gaining and overtaking all the time.  3:49/4:03/4:05 kms follow and I go through 5km bang on 19 mins.  A look up ahead and I can see a group of 3 a good bit ahead but potentially catchable and 1 ahead of them and a couple between me and the group.  I think at this point that Kenny Wilson is probably out of sight and then this is the chasing group (as there's a leading motorbike just in front of them but they're definitely not the leaders) so I reckon if I can catch them I would be 6th place, maybe a place or two down if there are any other fast guys chasing Kenny W.

I convince myself to think about racing rather than worrying about times too much.   The next km was a bit quicker in 3:51 and I'd gained one place.  Then the new bit of the course and immediately faced with a brute of a hill.  There's a Metro runner about halfway up and I decide to get him by the top of the hill.  I get him and cruise past him over the crest and then run like a bastard down the hill (hence a 3:29 km) to get a gap.

Really hard work on km 8 with more up hills and headwind but still gaining on that group of 3 and start to think I might have a shout at catching them.  A 4:17 km and then start really pushing once over that last hill.<