Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• A lot on here - first of all thanks for the comments on the 10k - much appreciated

Scott - Dachs echos my thoughts so well. You'll get there mate, Best of luck to SG too in trying to get his issue sorted.

Dachs - great effort I thought being on your feet so long. Saw a couple of RRR's recovering behind a pic of Jenny Nesbitt yesterday. Sensible boys image. 2,37 sounds sensible to me - I'll be there at 14 & 21 with some top cheering, don't you worry!

AG - Go very careful with the running whilst ill mate. Can lead to serious shit if it's anything more than a snotty nose.

Me - Long run yesterday - about 13, most for 2 months on raced legs. OMG - at the end that's the worst my legs have been ever -apart from London, Berlin and the Oakley 20..

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Bit of catching up.  SC - it's all relative, but that 10k time would make me feel like a bloody world beater image  Same goes for Dachs!  2:35 / 2:37 also just sounds completely epic to me, but as has been discussed many times, it's all relative.  Just about anyone I've spoken to thinks my 3:03 is completely amazing... whereas I think it's just sort of decent and nowhere near top end for me - I want to run much much faster marathons than that in years to come!

AG - as everyone else has said, easy does it.

Scott - sounds awful mate but keep being as positive as you are.

After my complaining about lack of decent hills, I went up the only proper hill anywhere near me on Saturday.  Mormond Hill, from the house to the top of both "peaks" and back again, comes out at 13.4 miles with total climbing (and descending) of 340m.  Took it easy and averaged 8:00/mile.  Then went out and did a progressive run on Sunday.  Was feeling the quads a bit, so 2 miles @ recovery pace, 2 miles @ easy pace, then 2 miles @ 6:14/mile to finish.  Felt pretty good image

Quads feeling pretty tired today, so 6 miles averaging 8:19/mile this morning.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

I can outkick most people in a sprint.

I don't doubt this for a second old son. Mostly because, in a  half marathon the people who you should be competing with have already long finished imageimageimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's the light hearted business taken care of, but AG, like Ric says, beyond foolish doing a race when ill. Do you want to get in my boat or something, start with something minor, get a virus in, it gets severe, and then it gets into the real core material organs rucking your future running up?

And I didn't know I wasn't right before doing my half, you intentionally set out like that.
    I'm loathe to say well done, as it'll encourage you the next foolish outing, but sort of well done...

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

SG - I've got the sprint, don't you worry about that old bean and that especially includes those around my level that probably have less fast twitch muscles than the slower ones.

On the serious side of it all I think I know my body. I rested for 4 days last week when I felt really ill. Also took several naps in the day to get some much needed rest in.

Also I didn't race, I agree that would be foolish. I also saw the Doctor who said it would be ok but may delay my full recovery.

I wouldn't however recommend the same course of action to anyone else.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

there are sprint finishes and then there are sprint finishes image

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

He's really milking this now image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He's allowed too image

Dachs - still an impressive performance given the time on your feet before hand  - both immediately and in the week leading up to it! Fingers crossed the hip is just a niggle. Care and recuperation are the order of the day now I should think...

Didn't you have a test today SG or is that tomorrow?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

tomorrow,

Fingers crossed for a "keep on going son, here's some medicine that fixes it 100%", rather than a "stop, for goodness sake you clown, stop now", as I've left it way too late to attempt to be a Saturday night ladies man, or be all about the career.

AG, by your post, it seems almost madness to not have run then image
    And Dachs, oh to be in your position of doing 32mile runs  (or whatever it was) before a half marathon, and still be a bit disappointed you didn't smash 1.15 image

Glory dayz.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Glad you came round to my way of thinking, SG.

All the best tomorrow.

• Yup, fingers crossed for tomorrow SG.

Everyone I saw at the halfway point looked strong, even AG in his sick-bed. My views are similar to Ric's on the racing whilst sick but hey-ho, it's done now. Just hope it's all good for the next week. Well done to the both of you for reasonable performance under duress.

Like the family Dachs my charges smashed out the green park challenge. Daughter elected not to compete as she had been ill (AG - note the wisdom of youth); son & niece took some 4-5minutes off our Green Park PB even though they had to drag a slow V35 around with them.

Mrs Cat5 followed this up by taking greater than 40mins off her 2014 HM PB. So much so that I was slightly unprepared for her early appearance at the Oracle and I almost missed her. She complained that the second half was slightly slower than the first and that was entirely my fault due to my pacing. She did well. We are a family of soft-PBs.
    Oh - the half-pint of real ale at the pub on the course was delicious.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Daughter elected not to compete as she had been ill (AG - note the wisdom of youth); 

I think you'll find that's the wimpiness of girls, Iron. 40 minutes! That's some chunk off.

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Daughter elected not to compete as she had been ill (AG - note the wisdom of youth); 

I think you'll find that's the wimpiness of girls, Iron. 40 minutes! That's some chunk off.

I think our resident female may disagree.

She set new 5km, 10km, 15km & 10mi PBs yesterday too.
    Now the hard work starts for Amsterdam.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh well done Mrs Cat! That's a brilliant PB.

Wimpiness? Hmm. It's true that I won't run when ill either. Not after what happened the last time with the almost-drowning incident.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Almost drowning? I am intrigued.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Passed out at mile 12 of a half-marathon; witnesses reported some unconscious random weaving around on the unfenced path alongside the river; rescued by a spectator who dragged me off the course (leading to a bad ankle sprain; preferable to drowning, however). In my defense I did not realise I was unwell prior to racing.

• Lots of posts to catch up on and will read in more detail and post probably tomorrow or something being quite busy this evening, back at home sorting things out and stuff having come straight from the IOW picked my car up and went over to the hospital. Arranged another look at my leg tomorrow with physio

Thanks again for the kind words

In fact today was super positive news, Dachs just for you and your imagination Mr.Trumpeta had a good poke round image he managed to get inside me, he was in fact very happy and although swollen the prolapse was able to be slipped back in and any excess skin can come away in more surgery if I find its a problem but that's more just like a giant skin tag. I have no internal piles and the tear was the exsisting one and therefore only minimal and not any canal lining. With no bleeding when I went to the toilet today (the odd spot) and then no seeping / bleeding from the wound when he was inside me shows its nothing as such to worry about. If I have more bleeding I'll have probably have a camera job. He's confident that's going to heal as long as I keep stools flowing nicely

He's also not happy with the medication I was prescribed last week and a difficult call to take me off most of it. And I'm not "allowed" any painkillers like tramadol etc now, I'm going to suffer a bit more with pain but he thinks my body needs to react to it he thinks my body has just been really suppressed in healing itself with all the meds combating eachother, it became a mess. I'm nearly there were his words. Don't like the idea of no pain control but popping countless pills with no progress is what I'm doing now. I'm just led in bed still feeling a be crampy and in quite a lot of discomfort which will be the routine for this week

So just 1 to take plus my movical drink to keep stools smooth, it's not wise to come off antibiotics mid course but I'm going for a check up and test for infection anyway just in case.

I won't be able to run until I have no pain and thats another good week or more away, plus the leg isn't going to be easy to start anyway. I have another week off work and just basically need to sleep, eat, shit and rest and man up about any pain now

So maybe all not lost. I'd hate to find myself bleeding tomorrow morning going to the toilet so I'm being optimistic and expecting the worse but with words that I'm nearly there and with the passage looking really good I've come away much more positive than Friday when it seemed worse than before the op
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Crikey Scott. I was just about to turn in for the night and thought I'd have a last read. I'm going to have nightmares after that.

Seriously though, hang in there. You'll get it beat.

On the other subject. I've been reading some academic papers on the subject of exercising with viruses.

Hmm! 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Likewise...Strangely compelling reading though Scott! Fingers crossed though.

All the best tomorrow SG.

Mrs Iron - 40 mins off - crikey!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sorry, is Mr Trumpeta a real name?! Sounds like a euphemism.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just wondered what the level of motivation must be, to want to race when ill.

I once overheard a neighbour complaining to my mum that she was in absolute agony (from a chronic back condition) when she went skiing.

'So why did you go skiing when in so much pain'? was the question from M.

(In a Liverpool accent) "Ooooo, but I luuuvv skiing sooo much, I do, I really doo".

M. "Looks a bit too cold to me".

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you're ready to race a half marathon at the weekend Scott.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice track reps this morning for me.  8x 1000m off 90s recoveries.  Aiming for 3:40.

3:39.5 / 3:41.1 / 3:38.7 / 3:39.7 / 3:39.2 / 3:39.5 / 3:39.8 / 3:39.3

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

very nice looking CC, especially the rhythm of the last 5.

Scott, there you go, sounds more positive straight away! Doesn't help to get too up or too down in this game does it!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

And another 4.55 miles @ 7:18/mile at lunchtime.  First double for about a month I think.

Shit weather - totally unreasonable in April.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just back from the latest appointment.

Try and bullet point the key details

• Ruled out Hyper Trophic Cardiomyopathy (serious one...worst case)
    • ECG "abnormal" (he will get extra opinions to check it can just be written off as athlete's variance
    • Blood pressure probably the best I can remember the top number, 126-8, and bottom number has never been a problemo.
    • No medicine needed

Basically said I'm fine to continue 60 mile weeks, just stop if anything feels untoward Not sure about the breathing, but his job is to rule out anything serious, not to get someone who's already very fit, to a luxurious level they can ask big questions of themselves by racing (not quite what he said).

Said there was some sort of implant you can have to monitor you for 3 years, but not really needed. And said I could stop running for 6months to see if the ECG reverts to a more "usual" one, but we both realised that wasn't a good option.

So erm, sort of re-assuring, but not really anywhere further on.

Therefore, it's as we were...i'll see how the MP session goes once a week, and when it feels like it's worth increasing I will, with the goal of doing the local 5k at some stage.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I'd be racing ultras off of that diagnosis, SG. That's good news surely. Smash a Parkrun at the weekend I reckon.

•  

Andrew G wrote (see)

I'd be racing ultras off of that diagnosis, SG. That's good news surely. Smash a Parkrun at the weekend I reckon.

Very nice sessions CC.

So Scotty and SG to have a face off at Marlow 5 I reckon?

• SG - Bugger it, I'm going to get you some Meldonium that'll solve everything. I think it's reassuring but I wouldn't be happy like you are with no direct answers. Been in this position were you actually want them to tell you something is wrong so it can be addressed. Costaconditris I am sure will still affect the breathing for a long time and it maybe then that there's nothing wrong it's just you will suffer with tight chest and stuff. Actually have you talked / thought about exercise induced asthma? 

Just thought and googled it. 

Exercised-induced asthma is a narrowing of the airways in the lungs that is triggered by strenuous exercise. It causes shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and other symptoms during or after exercise. The preferred term for this condition is exercise-induced bronchoconstriction - brong-koh-kun-STRIK-shun)

Sounds like a dinosaur. Anyway a possibility and you can get a TUE for itimage 

You have shown all the symptons

I think that's ok BP SG. They took mine at 141 / 7x I think? Just touched between normal and high. Although that was on my pre op just after they had "examined" me

CC - Cracking session, again so early does Johnas make you do it! I really couldn't do it, maybe in the summer. Do you get a summer in Scotland?

Dachs - Has taper started now for VLM? How is the hip post Reading? Have you ever had massage or physio maybe it would help, could be some alignment issues especially you probably do alot of awkward moving with the kids you don't think about 

Bus - I saw on the previous page some more good running, very hilly work you've been doing

AG - Like I can talk, but agree with Ric, you'll do more damage I am sure, you are taking what doesn't kill you makes you stronger too literal image Hope you feel better

Dean - Track season starting? Do you feel you have a better base to work with from last year? And we know about sprint finishes, Samir owns that one

Mental IC - Can you claim all the glory for any of that? 

Any races coming up for anyone now? I haven't seen any monthly stats for March either? Did I miss them? 7 miles in total for me image Done on day before the op. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

This thread is like some kind of medical drama these days. 

My attitude isn't 'whatever makes you stronger,' it's more that life is short and I'd rather live it to the full for a few years less than cling on watching countdown in a pair of slippers.

I don't think doing a bit of running and cycling will significantly delay my recovery from this virus. My wife caught the same thing and she's still coughing too. She's done no exercise. I am happy to admit I was wrong if I drop down dead on my run home tonight.

I have EIA, I find that I only get it when the air is cold and damp. In fact since I got really fit I have barely had an incident but I used to get it after footy in the winter regularly.