Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Excellent Dachs. I did indeed laugh out loud!

Good historical factage there Mr Jones!
  • Options

I had a fried egg for breakfast today but no black pudding. I have some in the freezer but I need to plan in advance and defrost it.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Save the good stuff for your memoirs Phil!

• Options

Toasted sandwich for lunch: it's all go here!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff, I am wondering if Dach's has been munching on Bus's interior? 

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

You can't fool us, Gander W!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I knew I should have changed the picture.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lol gr8 wk dax

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Live life on the edge Philip - fry it from frozen....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, old son, what an epic post, incredible scenes. Probably up there with the best posts in the 6 years on this thread!

What a 6 years we've shared on here. Lost some great characters (as well as some sh!t charactersimage ), shared a tonne of pbs, and achievements, and in the main supported each other through it all. Great stuff.

That CP 2011 10miler is interesting to look back on. Only 24seconds from me to Bus, sounds so close. But then I look at Steve Fell a similar distance ahead of me, and at the time it felt like he was miles ahead, and felt like Bus was miles behind. Funny old thing perception. Ric, before we were familiar with him, a mere 9secs back too, epic for a 50+ er. Wow.

And Phil, back in the days before you got hung up on WAVA and what you were allowed to slow down by each year!
    Spring 2011, only 1 1/2 years into the thread then.

Only got round to 2more 10milers after that.  57.09 back at CP, and then the week after, on course to beat that until 8miles when the wind got insane, coming out 57.27.

Probably my best 2 week's consecutive racing over the whole 6 years.

Would love to get back to somewhere near all that stuff again.

But for now, today, a single 10miler, 6.58 job.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mine too SG - can't imagine there will come a time again like GSR the week after that CP. We were treated like kings, then I knocked another 4 secs off my PB despite the gale force wind on the sea front, and finished off with my trademark retching being caught on camera by Channel 4 as they interviewed Jo Pavey image

Ahem, back to reality....

Track today at lunch, following a very trying morning at work. Bloody thing was closed for an event. hey ho, went for a pretty soggy football field instead, just in case the blister issue forced a barefoot option!  Lack of time meant just 6 x (GPS) 0.25M, which came out OK considering the surface and that I've not done reps for a bit - 1:23, 1:21, 1:21, 1:20, 18, 1:21

• Options

What a truly fantastic day on the SG thread. Dachs that really made me smile. Can I have an autographed photo.

Whilst I didn't reach the heady heights of the superfood that is black pudding I did have a bacon and egg mcmuffin at 9:30 during a team briefing, having got up at 5am to run 10 miles then get to the meeting 120 miles away after a brief shredded wheat starter. I worked through lunch then had a mcUntasty with bacon and mozarella dippers for afternoon tea. You cannot out run a bad diet though I think I am in 2nd place.

Nice mini-buses Bus.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Iron. McDonalds "big flavour wraps" are reasonable, dietary and taste wise if a Maccy D is the only option....

Accidentally took a  Strava CR off 2:15 marathon and 29 min 10k man, Ian Kimpton today with my very last rep (added in on the cycleway back to work after the soggy field). Came out as 5:09 pace too - impressive (ish!), until you realise it was only a 0.1M segment and might even just be a GPS quirk anyway!!!

Either way, Mr K gets the email "Uh oh! You just lost your CR on Thame Rd to (insert real name here -Mr Bus?)", which, rather childishly and decidedly pointlessly, makes me rather pleased image. I'm sure he's not overly concerned though!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Had a look at strava yesterday for the first time. Clicked straight off when i saw some geezer claiming 35secs for 1/5 of a mile on Thame Road.

1/5 of a km, very doable. 1/5 of a mile? Not so much.

Had a nice little 6miler today, but probably massively overdid it racing the taxi/coach that takes some of our work lot from somewhere 1/2mile away. It's down a bit of a hill unfortunately, hyping my speed to ridiculous levels.

Paid for it, sitting at my desk, everything looking a bit too light! A nice sugar drinked eased things!

• Options

SG, if you see something odd on Strava just flag it. Clearly you can't run 0.2 miles in 35 seconds.

I'd even question 200m in 35 seconds. Clearly possible but that is 4:4x pace which is OK for an all out effort but not part of a regular run.

I like Strava: went out today for my last longish run, 11 miles. Strava tells me I set 8 new PBs. I did Hammersmith Bridge to Barnes Bridge in 12:38. I have done that stretch 52 times in total in times as slow as 16:30. Wasn't even trying today, just enjoying the taper which seems to be going well. Just need to get about 3 minutes faster to get the Strava CR which Andy Greenleaf holds (30:34 for 10k, 50:45 for 10 miles at Cabbage Patch) and a minute and a half to beat the ladies record held by
    Sarah Johnson (78 minutes for a half aged under 20).

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i noticed a strava section i did recently and i was motoring. 1 section i was 2nd overall, i thought i would see who was top boss,  it was a lady who had held a much quicker pace than me as part of a much longer "run" despite having no previous.  it was almost if if she was out on a bike ride and hit the long down hill and accidently strava recorded it as a run not a cycle image 

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I have a CR of 0.3 miles @ 4.45 pace which is genuine. I knew there was a segment there as some cheeky blighter had recently stolen my previous record.

But only a Strava w*nker like myself would put in an effort like that for a pavement PB.

I still have another one to reclaim where the sod actually put in the title of his run that it was a CR attempt run. I'm going to enjoy taking that one back.

3*1 mile reps tonight if I have time so maybe I will head over to the spot for it image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I'm always flagging girls mis-recording bike rides, they don't understand it all, bless 'em.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

One day I'll get on board with this Strava business.  I think I'll concentrate on Andrew G's records first.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I really don't get it.

But then like some ex forumite said to me the other day, some people might not get making 1,000s of posts on a forum!

Does "the man" set what can count as a route/section, or do you do it?

Cos surely you can just run around town setting up a mixture of stupid lengths, obscure routes, or ones moderately different to other existing ones?

So you could end up with the 173metre "across the lanes on the M40 at Junction 4" section record, or hold the "CR" for 0.712miles from Snatch Lake to Duttyhoe Lane.

the only reason I could possibly see for it being worthwhile would be to systematically take the "records" from someone who takes it seriously. Preferably with a cunning alias. And chuckle when they're moaning on here about it

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I have a CR of 0.3 miles @ 4.45 pace which is genuine. I knew there was a segment there as some cheeky blighter had recently stolen my previous record.

I've flagged it to the organisers as dodgy.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep - you can create your own segments. It's never worth having a CR unless it has been run by lots of people and you know at least some of them will have been trying image

Personally I like it best for keeping a record of bits of routes I've done multiple times, such as specific climbs.

RW - don't be so sexist! I've flagged more blokes on bikes accidentally taking a CR than girls!

Double today. 6.1 and 6.2 xc. All OK and blister held up. Created a new segment too - added incentive to make sure I catch the train on time image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

long for doubles Bus...but I know you need to for travel. Some days Im very glad my double second run is only a 4. I suppose mine Is morn/lunch rather than a bit more recovery time morn/eve though.

First time I ever tried doubles, was a 4&4, for 4 days in a row. Almost obliterated me.

Anyone seen the 24hour track ting in Marlow this summer?

Anyone want to explore the idea of putting in a Team MTSG in? Presume there's some sort of prize, we could probably be in the mixer for, along with supporting charity, as well as it being something random...

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Just need to get about 3 minutes faster to get the Strava CR which Andy Greenleaf holds (30:34 for 10k, 50:45 for 10 miles at Cabbage Patch).

I wouldn't chose him to beat on a Strava segment. Solid triathlete! I have created some segments abroad where I have done interval sessions. Nice to see who else uses the same stretch.

I've seen the 24hr thing. Rather stick pins in my eyes but if it is a spare weekend and for charidee then maybe. That is assuming you don't want a prize.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm up for  a 24 hour event - as long as I get to run for an hour, do bugger all for 6 hours, eat and drink for three hours, sleep for 10 hours then possibly another hour of running before two hours for breakfast coffee and reading the paper (the other hour is for contingencies!) image

Usual double is a 7.5 and 5.5. 5.5 is the shortest distance off-road to the station, but the train I now catch is a bit earlier, so anything over 7 requires a pre 6am wake-up so happens less often now. My round number OCD means I need to make the distance up somewhere else so I spread it across the week image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The idea of a 24 hour thing fills me with nausea. I like to run, then be finished with it.

Surely Reg Wand should be Red Wang?

• Options

Or we could do it like I did Endure 24 last year.

Set up camp, open a beer. Cheer wife round a lap. Open another beer. Sleep. Rinse and repeat.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That sounds OK Iron image

Dachs - you are on form!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If we substitute 'Stevie G' for 'wife' (only in this context) I'm up for that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm your wife nowwww

(if anyone even gets that reference...if not it looks a little awkward).

Bus, only issue with that higher length double must be doing 1/4 of your week's mileage in 1 day, and then the long run being another quarter. Meaning half in 2 days?

In the words of the now departed great man Daniels,  balanced? "not a lot" image