Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Dean - yeah, I was in 2 minds as to whether to press button or not but I did it on my 10,000 race a couple of years ago and it was me safely through my first sub 40. I didn't realise there would be someone shouting out the splits every 400m. Next time I'll just use the clock and the guy shouting the splits to track where I'm at!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Probbo different to a pro like you dean, but for the likes of me attempting to do maths at that intensity doesn't work. You can't get much easier than taking the watch split, although if I ever did another one, first 400 aside, to try and not start too fast, I'd probbo just try and "work hard" for the 5 1/2 laps in the middle, then just all I had left on the last without specifically going on timings.

Let's not talk CC up too much just yet, give the poor lad a chance to enjoy this one for now image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lit - same image

CC - nice one! Well judged for the Gold Standard image

Scott - good to hear (well the progress, not the latest toilet episode!!). Any bets now for who will race first - SG or Scott? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'll take a fiver on Scott.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Is that excluding parkruns, as they aren't technically a "race"???

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

don't start all that crock of pony  image

For all park runz good points, I wonder what the actual knock on effect has been on local races. Does it get more people into them? Or do organisers find numbers go down, and really begrudge their lack of overheads?

Although I've been out of the loop in local races for some years, I'm told loads have stopped, such as Wooburn 10k, as well as some of the big halves really struggling, or having to be cancelled (Burnham half a real loss)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mix of stuff I reckon. Wooburn stopped as the organisers originally set it up to raise money for bursaries for their sports club and when they'd hit their target, the hassle of actually putting it on each year lost it's glow. Risborough 10k was canned as the RO just had enough of the ever increasing beaurocracy involved in getting the road closures (similar elsewhere). Others have just got silly expensive, and more and more of the traditional events are being spurned in favour of the tough-mud-plugger obstacle type shite...

Parkrun probably has its role to play, but difficult to diss it though as it's not ripping anyone off and isn't competing for specific days (as long as you are Pete image)....

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Back to the scene of the crime this morning.  40 mins @ threshold pace on the plan so for uninterrupted 40 mins, went to the track.

6:10-6:15/mile is roughly what I aim for on threshold runs, so worked that back to 6:08-6:12 per 1600m and hit the lap button every 4 laps to keep track.  Came out at:

6:08.6 / 6:09.6 / 6:06.9 / 6:07.5 / 6:08.3 / 6:08.5

Then just over 2 laps (maybe 820m) in 3:11.3.

Went through 25 laps in 38:21 (16 secs quicker than my last 10k road race...!) and total of 26 and a bit laps in 40 mins.

Pretty comfortable in the end as well. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks like you're going nicely CC.  How do you define Threshold? Somewhere in the 10k to 10m zone? I've seen some define it as MP. But looks like your 10k definitely needs a refine.

F OFF work, so had a nice lie in, and probably the easiest session mentally to get out for, a 12x200m job. Didn't bother with the track, just did them on a pavement.

The track last week was 8x34, 4x 33, but clearly the exact same stretch to compare, and flat!
    The pavements reps all started in slightly different positions, and clearly half were one way, half the other, with the odd numbers into a little wind, and v slightly inclining, and the evens, no wind, and v slightly down,

Probably the equivalent of last week, just with the biasing of direction affecting it.

It'll do.

• All going well then CC82 - Good stuff

SG - My Glycogen/Sugar lows are 'the blobs'. Its like that blob you get from a camera flash. Just have to get some food onboard. Or sometimes just slow down..i need to do that some mornings as my breakfast hasn't got through yet..

Decent sessions last night - 10 x 600, 5 sets of 1 steady, 1 fast. About 90 secs between sets and 75 between steady and fast. Came out at 2.00/1.41, 2.01/1.44, 2.00/1.43, 2.01/1.43, 1.59/1.37. Surprised with the last one, still couldn't outkick a returning from Injury Kimpton. He's good that boy!

Long one tomorrow before the Rushmere parkrun (looking after small one), then spectating VLM Sunday and 6 pints after probablement.....

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Tasty looking reps SG and SC.  Those 600s in particular are f***ing fast!

SG - threshold for me is the traditional "pace you can sustain in race conditions for 1 hour".

My HM PB is 6:16/6:17 pace, so it's got to be a bit quicker than that that I'm aiming for.  Around 6:10-6:15 seems about right but I do try to aim for the sharper end of that if I can.  Normally wind and hills etc. slow it down a bit but on the track today it was easy to get down that 6:10 pace.

My 10k definitely needs a shake-up.  Current PB is still 37:41, but really hoping to get down well below 37 next month.  Gold standard is 36:24, so would love to get down amongst that sort of time but we'll see.

Got another 6 in at lunchtime for the double - average 7:21 pace.  Just been sat down for 2.5 hours on a conference call at work and took a few steps to get my legs going after I stood up...! image

That low sugar thing never seems to affect me in the morning.  I never eat anything before running early and like this morning I often don't even have a sip of water.  For some reason I'm more inclined to feel a bit "low" later on in the day.  Barely ever an issue though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd say I've had two distinct "feelings". Sometimes on a run you start craving protein, so just need a bit of topping up, but this other one was after runs, everything going very light...I'd says it's almost like that feeling you get if you've looked into a lightbulb/the sun by accident. But without actually doing that!

I think you'll well on your way to get a clean sweep of the golds. Presume that gold is the top level? What would Dean n Dachs be on there image

• Mine are definitely a blob. If I stop or slow down it just fades away, like in the morning, or it goes with a bit of flapjack if I need a bit after a cross country. I remember doing a XC then going straight into a 30 min warm down, I was a bit all over the place getting my tea and flapjack, just ran out of energy!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice 3000 CC. im supposed to be having a crack at one next weekend. Also a solid threshold there too!

tasty 600s there SC and a return to the fast stuff SG. just blast a bloody parkrunimage

I had a bit of a wobble after my warm down at the relays SC. Ended up passing blood also but not sure what that was about. Nothing before or since so maybe due to dehydration.

I've been feeling wiped out pretty much every mid afternoon and dreading my evening run. Usually finish lunch at 1.15 then work straight through til 6.15 ish. Just feel drained. Still managed some decent sessions though this week. 8 mile at 5.44 pace on tues then 5 at 5.30 on Thursday. Both in my threshold zone but pushed a bit more on the 5 as it was a shorter effort. I raced the relays slower than that last week. Granted it was pancake flat on a great cycle path through Cambridge but it was only 3bpm above my marathon HR.

Hopefully get some 800s done at the track today.

Good luck to the VLMers this weekend. Only found out that Bekele was running yesterday. Looking forward to watching it.

I had my suspicions about Manchester being short as I'd seen Racejase and Steve Way both comment that it was short on occasions. Also 3 club mates ran the race last year with one running 2.33 and 2 running 2.34. Strava showed it up as being 25.9 which is odd for a race to show up that short. One of the lads openly admitted that he thought it was short but the other 2 were having none of it.

Apparently a dodgy measuring wheel is to blame. Hmmmm.

Rumours of a few recent races being short. Trafford 10k start is being moved next year so that's being remeasured apparently.

I sometimes get the feeling that those who measured the course are hung out to dry. What's to stop a RO moving the start/finish after they've got a certificate. People want fast times run on their course.

I definitely know this has happened in a race up my way which pissed me off as the bloke who measured the course has his reputation tarnished.

RO came out with a load of bollocks about having a meeting, remeasuring it etc and that it was a mistake. It never got remeasured, he just bided some time and made a cock and bull story up.
  • Pretty mental about the marathon! A course should never show up that short really on a GPS despite the accuracy. I think the course should be measured at least 3x

Apparently Trafford 10km is up for review and the same people measured Eastleigh this year, being a huge PB fest is down to depth and luck and the stuff but loads of people posting mental times does make you wonder and I've seen pictures on 9.85km uploaded for Eastleigh, I mean damn I wouldn't have the balls!

Some very nice sessions going on.

SG, I'll take your bet about racing! You have an epic base to be working with - I've ran twice in 7 weeks. I won't even want to race for 3-4 months and likely chance I'm going to save it for Autumn. Going to lay out a plan for Brighton 10 mile or GSR I think in October ( A week apart will see which weekend I'm working etc) That said I'm hoping to get involved with local RR10 series (in which my 1st year I placed 3rd overall) possibly some lakeside 5kms which head into July...ill be damned if I miss another summer. Not had any specific speed work since I've started running late 2013..

Good luck to all marathon runners or anyone else racing!!!

Dachs have some beliefe image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Good luck to all racing tomorrow. May the odds be ever in your favour or some other bullshit motivational film-based line image .

Course measuring. There is a can of worms.

• Easy parkrun this morning said that sub-7 feels easy for 3 miles so why not try the full 26.2?

Chatted to an old running friend this morning (V60): I was bemoaning the fact that I used to run sub 18 every year for 5k and it was now getting harder to even target sub 19 and he was agreeing and said he was struggling to break 23 minutes but used to do 16s all the time. When I questioning a bit more, turns out he ran 69 for a half, 32 for 10k and some 15.xx 5ks aged 40.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good luck to the marathoners tomorrow, you should at least be confident it'll be a full distance job!!

I know some earlier garmins tend to give lower distance readings than my 405, but in my days of running with one, I can probably only remember a couple of races 10k up where the garmin hasn't overrecorded. One half marathon, bang on 13.1, and one 10k around Canary Warf under, but no doubt the tall buildings play havoc.

I'd have thought for a distance as short as 380metres out of 26.2miles, people should get their times pro-rated rather than wiped out. It isn't their fault after all, and it's such a piddly percentage, so not like they're conning anyone. And it's not like you can just go and smack another marathon that close (unless you're Sam A locally!)

Scott/Matt - soon, it's getting there. Just need to pick a week. Not next week, as I'm needing to do the long run on the sat. But soon. Then, if I could handle that, another one etc...and build from there.

Off to Wembley shortly! Only got FA Cup semi final tickets. Whoooop. Just a little easier than the 6hour round trips to Manchester!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, good luck all you VLM'ers tomorrow - don't be shit image

Matt - definitely keep an eye on that mate. Cold be dehydration, but might be worth getting checked out anyway.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, I actually had that a few weeks ago, apparently it's called runner's hematuria.

I'd deffo get it checked if it happens more than once in a short period of time. I think I've had it twice in my life. Brown once too! Brown was after a very hot long run. The red, I think you can get if you overly drain your bladder, so I'm surprised it never happened in a race, as we've all done those repeated last min eeking drips of pee out, and then clearly you'd smash a hard effort with minimal fluid.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

Matt, I actually had that a few weeks ago, apparently it's called runner's hematuria.

I'd deffo get it checked if it happens more than once in a short period of time. I think I've had it twice in my life. Brown once too! Brown was after a very hot long run. The red, I think you can get if you overly drain your bladder, so I'm surprised it never happened in a race, as we've all done those repeated last min eeking drips of pee out, and then clearly you'd smash a hard effort with minimal fluid.

If the bladder is empty then it can be the inner membrane of the bladder banging against itself.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, good luck with the marathon tomorrow all involved.

I've peed blood once but that was after some erroneous advice about running on an aspirin. I took half of one tablet, had a good run, felt a bit odd afterwards and then the result. Yuk!

Obviously I drink before races, but not the amounts I once did. A fine line between enough to function on and enough to flush the system, and more.

Having said that, taking on long hot runs with nothing is asking for trouble. The body will take fluid from what are superfluous muscles with which to cool the vital organs.

The fact that I need those same muscles to be at optimum condition, it doesn't make sense to damage them so much because I'd rather not drink.

We are but bags of water, after all.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Just checking in to wish the other VLM runners good luck. Also glad to hear you back, Scott.

Having a last minute bit of indecision. Supernova 8 335g or DS Racers 235g. Haven't trained in the racers at all.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck AG. Personally I'd go with the racers. The vast majority of people will say that you shouldn't try anything new on race day but you'll only feel the blisters after you've finished if you even get any at all.

I wore brand new socks, trainers and shorts for my last marathon. Well my trainers had about 10 miles on them. I never took on gels in any training runs either but had 3 on the day.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good luck PMJ and Red Wang. No new shoes on race day.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

The Asics are a bit tight. Maybe I will buy a pair at the start. 

• Really old shoes for race day. I have a pair at the office which I use 5 days a week and a home pair for weekends and travels, so my race pair are the home pair which have done relatively few miles running but done 3 trips to the US, one to India and have an interesting smell. They are also Nike Pegasus and are 281g, so not racing weight but not so far off to worry about.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Reg, that's not a decision I'd want to be to making tonight! I'm probably with Matt, but it could be painful! I ran London in DS racers, but my feet had got used to them! Supernovas are a bit heavyweight mind....

Anyway you three, why aren't you asleep image (bloody hope you are now and read this tomorrow after smashing it!!)

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Best wishes too to the forum 3 at VLM. Al looking perfect weather wise. Did an interesting parkrun course at Ashton Court Bristol while on a visit to my sisters. Out and back course 10'52 out and 8'34 back. That's one hell of a negative split but the climb out is over 100 metres in 2.5k!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is a big hill at Ashton Court Pete!

Quick report from my own race today before the big ones come in!

My first race since I abandoned at Wokingham - Ridge Off-Roader 10k - so excuse the length of the report! It's a nice local race raising funds for a primary school. Attracts a reasonable sized field though and is well organised. Nice route - very hilly, mostly off-road (as the name suggests!) and quite scenic with a killer hill in the last 1k! Looking out the window at heavy sleet beforehand was a bit off-putting though, but sun came out just as I left.

Quick warm up, safety briefing and then lead to the start. VLM had (thankfully!) taken its toll at the sharp end, but I set off next to local rival, Owen Byrne, and a handful of quick youngsters - who may or may not blow up early on! Also on the start line was the tall guy who last year pipped me at the post, despite wearing a cravat and shirt and looking like he'd stepped out of a grouse shoot! I had to beat him at least....

Anyway, fairly swift from the off, with a sharp right turn after 0.5k into a lane whereupon a largely built twat in an orange shirt decided to barge into me and push me up over a kerb and onto a pavement - knob. Another one I had to beat!

1k in came the first downhill - very steep and very grassy, and easy peasy after the Lakes! I took this as an opportunity to fly to get revenge on the knob guy and also overtook Owen to get into 7th place. Knob guy disappeared at this point, but Owen came back, and overtook - something I never managed to change!

A few undulations and k markers passed uneventfully with cravat guy and knob bloke nowhere to be seen and I was in a reasonably comfortable 6th. On the climb up Lodge Hill, I tried to close on the lad ahead and Owen in front of him, but didn't quite make it, and they started to pull away on the only flat road section of the race.  At the last killer hill, this lad in front died a death and I went past him on the steepest section, only to be overtaken myself by a Leigton Buzzard runner - how very dare he! Anyway, we overtook the tail-enders of the 5k at this point, bit of retching followed as I tried to regain the LB runner (failed!) then a quick sprint round the school field to cross the line for 6th overall and first V40 - luckily Owen, who was a minute ahead and 4th, is a V50!).

Then half hour of chatting, sitting in lovely warm sunshine, drinking tea and eating cakes and hot-dogs - all dead cheap and very tasty! The next battle was to get my trophy - they tried to give it to a bloke a minute behind me - but I wasn't having any of that as it's the first thing I've won for yonks!

All in all, a good morning out and good to be racing again.