Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

SG - good pyramid - yes aiming to be slightly quicker on the way down is the way to go.

Sleep totals not been great the last 2 nights - about 4.5 hours max both nights, not great, hence the late night posts. Living on Percy pigs and coffee here image.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good session SG

and congrats on the PB from the other night cortina

im marshall at the parkrun tomorrow and after im probably walking around after my kids as the capture pokemons

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great track racing Simon and Dean.

SG, it's going to be a while before my running needs the icing on the cake. I'll brush over the racing side of things. I'm in no position to comment.

Cortina, that's beginning to shift from where I now languish. Well done.

I've only ridden one 10 mile TT. The speedo was flipping between 28/29 mph for about six miles and then 18/19 mph after I'd blown up. Salvaged a 24:59.

I look at the remains of my old time trial bike and compared to the profile of my new much lighter machine, there appears to be hardly any of it.

Just been contacted by a runner in my club who wants to go on a two hour bike ride. He ran 4:05 for a 1500m around three weeks back at the British League division 1; whatever that is?

We'll see how he survives on wheels.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I always find running fitness transfers better to the bike than the other way round. Interesting to see how he does image

parkrun this morning. Shame of shames, I was overtaken and ten beaten by a guy in a football shirt image. Foreign bloke though, so I'll let him off...

Fast first mile (relatively!) of 5:37, but then mile 2 was bloody awful (6:07) and mile 3 wasn't great at 5:57. All felt hard and slow, so surprised it came out at 18:19. No where near the sub 18 I want, and only 6th overall but 20 secs better than last week so not all bad I suppose.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

I always find running fitness transfers better to the bike than the other way round. Interesting to see how he does image

parkrun this morning. Shame of shames, I was overtaken and ten beaten by a guy in a football shirt image. Foreign bloke though, so I'll let him off...

Was it SG in mufti? image

I had the kids this morning so Mrs could do a long run to/around/from parkrun. I guess this is her starting her 2017 VLM campaign.

I think the aerobic fitness transfers well from running to bike. As you say Bus, not quite so much the other way around, likely due to the high impact aspect of running. The anaerobic stuff seems to suck either way.

Thanks Dean & Ric, I'd have sold my kids for a 24:59 at the end of last season having not been near it since 2013. This year I achieved next year's target.

4:05 seems pretty speedy image

I did some Pokemon hunting with the kids last week. It was curtailed when they wanted to disappear off around the development with my phone. Maybe we could have hunted near parkrun today instead of staying in bed.

Off to Pen-y-Fan tomorrow.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Should be good weather for it Iron. Which way you going up it?

Not sure SG would have been able to live with himself in a Messi shirt image

• Options
    We are avec kids so a brief walk from the Storey Arms.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough - still a nice walk up. Just get there early as the SA car park gets rammed...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How come you're doing parkruns so often Bus? Have you parked the "proper" racing? (Although for me a parkrun is a proper race for the foreseeable!)

Developed a bit of a tight crunky hip. Probably slightly been pushing my luck doing months of 2 track sessions and still 60mile weeks in fairness. In one way it's good, as it's been about 10months since I had something apart from breathing to obsess over. But in other ways I'm trying to remember how it was shifted last time!

Got a13 off at 6.57 pace though. So can't be too bad. Just needs a monitoring.

Those Poke your mum types are irritating. You see big gangs of clowns wandering towards you, not looking where they're going. Face in their phones. LOOK UP YOU BERKS.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not sure SG. I've probably averaged around ten parkruns a year for the past few years, so not really doing more than average so far. My shite performance is the main reason I've not done much else road wise, but I've still done 4 trail 10ks, 2 fell, a road 5 and an aborted half this year so far.

Parkruns are not targeted "races" of course, but are a good way of doing a hard 'tempo' in a more sociable environment. Doing the same course regularly helps judge where you are fitness wise and gives a target to aim for, without being much pressure.  You can also do them without worrying about what you do the night before too much, getting up early or considering what you need to do  that day or the next day, but whilst still feeling you've done something. They are also quite sociable - I always chat to people before and after, then go home and enjoy breakfast and crack on with jobs etc. On top of that, they're free!! They are perfect for what you should probably be doing to get that racing mojo back in a not-too-serious environment! You are putting a lot of bloody hard graft into all those 60+ mile weeks and sessions so should get some results on the record to show for it and even parkruns would do that..

I don't get this Pokemon thing. Seems an odd thing fro grown adults, but it is getting people moving I suppose...how long will it be before the first Tough Pokemon Go Mudder event????

12 miles for me today. Hungover and tired but generally just painful and slow and really making me wonder why it all seems like such hard work at the moment...

• Options
    Hungover again Bus you animal! SG- sympathise regarding Pokemon, I'm use to phone zombies in London anyway.

So thought I'd hammer our local parkrun yesterday, ran there about 3 miles and then gave it a good go, it's basically a two lap XC course. Felt good, 8.40 first lap and managed to scamper round in 17.24, just 7 secs off Kimpton's course record. Obviously it was a bit muddier when he did it, or he was just tempoing it!

Nice undulating 13 miler up to Dunstable and back this morning, think I was spot on 6.57 miling too SG. Easy running for a bit, next stop Eastern vets on Weds night.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

My kids love Pokemon go. It's as pointless as minecraft and that was huge for the kids.  I have zero interest in it for myself but for them I think it's revolutionary and the way gaming is going in the future.  Today my daughter asked to go  for a 10k walk along the canal path as she needed to walk 10k to hatch an egg plus capture some new ones And stop off at a virtual Pokemon stop to win some new goodies.  If you don't keep up with kids new "fads" then sooner or later tech passes you by and you will be one of those old clueless types who can't get the hang of contactless cards or touch screen tech.

• Options
    I tut now if I have to type in my numbers when I buy anythingimage
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Loads of good stuff on here image

My week took a turn for the worse after my last post...  Went for a 20 min recovery pace jog on Wednesday just to see how things were feeling after having that stomach bug on Monday.  Running was fine.  Uneventful.  But then in the afternoon, I started to feel shit.  And got worse.  By the time I got home (quite late after a busy day at work), I was completely f***ed.  Massively breathless and headache, stiff neck, knackered, etc.  My wife thought I was having a heart attack or something image

It calmed down though and I saw the doctor on Thursday - all just after effects of a virus and told to take it easy!  All better now, but I'm not going to run until next week just to be sure!!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.  Lots of catching up to do, as I’ve been up in the Lakes for the last week or so, at Wastwater in the western lakes area.

Stunningly beautiful, and great running country – our cottage was about 50m from the lake shore at the point voted best view in England, so that was OK.  Unfortunately, the weather was not exactly clement most days, and I never managed to achieve my target of running up Scafell Pike (only 4 miles away from our cottage).  Did walk up most of it one day, and that told me all I needed to know about what running up it, and more particularly running down it, would have been like, particularly in the wet and mist, so I never attempted going up it, or any other peaks.

Did attempt some runs up ridges and whatnot, but they usually petered out in a terrible boggy quagmire with no visible path, so again those weren’t quite what I intended, and slipping on my arse a couple of times whilst descending helped confirm my decision.  In the end I just stuck to the lakeside road and valley bottom and admired the view from there.  I have come to the conclusion that I’m just not cut out to be a fell runner.

Parkrun on my return on Saturday was a slightly disappointing 16:20, so almost identical to my run 2 weeks ago, but they have temporarily amended the course whilst the carnival is in the park, and my estimation is that it adds around 40 metres, so maybe 7-8 seconds.  Still not quite where I want to be, but maybe it was just one of those days.

Tonight is a 2-mile race in Battersea Park.  Guaranteed PB as I’ve never done one before, but sub-10 is an obvious target.  Should be very doable all being well, but I did refuse some lucky heather from an old gypsy woman at lunchtime, so if she’s put a curse on me it could be upwards of 12 minutes.

Good results from Watford for Dean and Simon there.  I did watch the video (how come all of Dean’s races get videoed?!), and I enjoyed the spectacle of one fuzzy blob outsprinting several other fuzzy blobs.

Bad luck on the illness CC, and good running everyone else.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Hope things improve soon CC; how annoying when all had been going well before. Great races Dean & Simon; showing those kids there's life in (relatively!) old dogs.

Dachs, I intended the 2 miler too but not so sure now give the Battersea forecast. You still going with all the heavy rain expected?

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I forgot to mention the video.  I watched it when it appeared on FB and particularly enjoyed the commentary image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Pete, hadn't even bothered to look at the forecast to be honest, so that's news to me.  Don't think rain will slow me down, so I shall be running as long as the rain isn't accompanied by high winds.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

My kids love Pokemon go. It's as pointless as minecraft and that was huge for the kids.  I have zero interest in it for myself but for them I think it's revolutionary and the way gaming is going in the future.  Today my daughter asked to go  for a 10k walk along the canal path as she needed to walk 10k to hatch an egg plus capture some new ones And stop off at a virtual Pokemon stop to win some new goodies.

If you don't keep up with kids new "fads" then sooner or later tech passes you by and you will be one of those old clueless types who can't get the hang of contactless cards or touch screen tech.

I'm wondering Dean if you are even half serious about this issue. 

The idea of being influenced by the 'want's of children strikes me as ludicrous.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cc - I thought that about the commentary Too. That young lad will have confidence issues if that's his team mates talking him down?  image

Ric - Who better to be influenced by than the young.  They are the future.  

• Options
    Touch screens. I'll never forget my first child trying to use a laptop by pressing the screen. And 8 years later it is how things work.

Pete did you parkrun this weekend?
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Yes Iron, as I suspect you know it was my 250th but was trying to keep that quiet on here as I know it's generally frowned upon by you elite folk to do so many! 18'50 at Bracknell which is ok as its a tough course.

Anyway proper race tonight at Battersea for the 2 miler and felt relatively easy after last week's charge over 1 mile. Kept the pace pretty solid, 5'33 first mile and 5.35 second for an 11'08 which won me a lovely melon in the v50 cat! Been trying to follow Dean's advice to teach my legs to go quicker with this really short stuff with the aim of getting sub 18 over 5k. Final chance for that at Battersea is next Monday so will give it a go if conditions and form suit.

Good to meet Dachs properly at Battersea too but will leave his report to him. 

• Options
    Well done on the melon and the 250th Pete. I was at home in bed, but had I known I'd have come down and eaten your cake.

250 is quite a commitment. I'd need to run every parkrun between now and Feb to get my 100th.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work Pete! You can afford a relatively easy 3rd mile plus the .1 and still crack 18! Also good work on 250 parkruns - kinda mind-boggling given that works out as 5 year of parkrunning every week image

Dachs - I'm jealous! Don't give up on the fells though, it's like anything else - just takes a bit of practice. Ideally get out for a bimble with someone who knows how to navigate!

Ric - you are the epitome of the Victorian father image

CC - sounds deeply unpleasant! Talking of which, where's Scott at the mo? Hope he's OK...

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Bus; was thinking the same that a 6'10 min mile following 2 at 5'34 would do the job but Macmillan reckons 11'08 for 2 equates to 18'11 so  worse than the 18'05 I did last time over 5k there! Doing a 3rd mile at near the much faster pace you can do a 2 miler must be a big problem.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's why you shouldn't check these things on Macmillan Pete! You know yourself whether or not you could have knocked out at 6.10 mile after that better than some algorithmn!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

CC -hope all is well now.

Dachs - there's a reason they are called 'fells', as your arse can testify to.

Well done on the 250 parkruns Pete. It's not the only activity where the accumulation of numbers transcends the activity itself.

I prefer to think I'm in the position to influence kids rather than the other way around. I certainly operate in an area where I put their needs first.

It's a case of if 'I look after them, they'll look after me'. That's the future I work at.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I believe that children are the future, Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Pete, that is a very decent return on your evening, and hope you enjoy your melon.  Was good to finally meet last night.  It's highly likely that you're better at 5K than 2 miles.  God knows you get enough practice!

As per Pete, 2 mile race in Battersea Park.  Flat as anyone can ask for, nothing other than a light breeze, a bit of slippiness from the rain, but don't imagine it makes much difference.  Clearly sub 10 was a minimum requirement, but a case of just hit it hard and see what comes out.  Bloke scorches off into the lead, I can't keep up with that but I push into second and open a gap.  Pace feels very hard, but keep pushing through the pain barrier.  Through 1 mile in around 4:55, so all is good, but not sure I can keep the pace going.  Try the tactic of putting in another effort every time it feels hard, and, without anyone to chase or anyone immediately behind, that approach sees me through the second mile.  Legs start to go wobbly with about 400m to go, but try to speed up again and am relieved to cross the line in 9:48.

I got a mango rather than a melon.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Cracking 2 milers Dachs and Pete image

Hmm - some advice please...

So - you saw that I was floored last week with that virus.  Before I saw the GP on Thursday, I'd decided myself that I would not run this week and just hold off until Monday next week.  The GP said something like "maybe don't run for about a week".

I've been feeling absolutely fine since Saturday and am now feeling like I really want to run...

Resting heart rate had crept up above 50 for the first time in a while the week before getting ill, and it shot up to 56 for a few days.  It then dropped back to 53 on Saturday and has since came right back down to 49.

I'm thinking about going for a run tomorrow - thoughts??

Aside from that, I entered a team in a relay race on Sunday which I'd declared myself out of.  Team members are dropping like flies actually, but there's still enough to put a team in.  It's a 27 mile race made up of several legs of 2-4 miles.  I think there's 3 team members remaining.  I'm now thinking I could be team member 4 if I put in a couple of easy runs Wednesday and Thursday and then put in a little bit of effort on Friday just to see how everything feels.

Again - thoughts / advice??

• Options
    You could run very easy tomorrow and see how things are.

Personally I would avoid the relays and anything strenuous until after a week of back running.

No one ever died from taking it easy.