Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

CC, there are two answers.  One is what you should do, and one is what I would do (and have done many times).  I suspect you know what those answers are already!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Haha - no one ever died from taking it easy.  I like it.

That was the middle option.  Run easy a few times this week and then wait until next week to pick things up again.  If I run tomorrow, that will have been a full week off, which is what the doctor said...

I've often heard the phrase that if you feel ready to run again (after illness / injury), wait one more day.  I've felt ready to run since yesterday I'd have said, so waiting 2 more days feels really sensible to me.

Perhaps running the relays on Sunday would be on the less sensible side though.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I doubt if you have lost much fitness CC. A protracted rest sometimes yields unexpected results.

Like today, for me.

18 weeks ago I was running ok, racing and doing sessions.

There was/is a 5 mile loop which I used for threshold purposes. It's a bit lumpy which means the first mile is slow, but also acts as a marker.

Then I got injured.

Since then I have run a grand total of 23 miles with one 5 mile job last week.

Apart from that it's just cycling.

This morning I decided to run the loop out of curiosity as much as anything else. I mean, how much slower could I be?

First mile wasn't the fastest I've done, but for the effort, it was ok. Then I got faster. Couldn't believe it. It was raining and as humid as anything.

Splits went 7:44, 7:10, 7:02, 7:02 & 6:40.

Only once have I covered the course quicker within the context of threshold running, and then only by a few seconds. On that occasion, the seconds were all gained in the first mile.

I guess riding bikes at threshold effort for a couple of hours has some benefits.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

excellent running Dachs and Pete in those 2m'ers.  and must feel good you are well on towards creating a decent fruit salad between you.

CC - rest is your friend...feeling ok again and racing are 2 different things

• Good stuff Dachs and Pete - Pete, don't you worry I like a good PR as much as the rest, i'm quite chuffed with my one on Saturday. Good splits RicF.

I also believe the children are our future. I'm sure there's a Whitney song in there somewhere image.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds painful Dachs - bloody good work though!

CC - only you can judge, but safe is better than sorry....

Ric - that's good news!

9 very wet miles for me today. It was along the Thames, but felt like I was in the Thames for most of it image.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I swear it seems to have been humid for about 3months now. I'm honestly not sure if it's heart related, psychological, or actual weather these days, as it always feels like I'm too hot. Even in rain i'm wanting to shirt off!

Dachs, very big pimping there. Can you do the precise maths and riddle me with whether that is level, faster, or slower than your 3k pace?

CC82, never worry about missing another day or 2, especially when a virus is about. There's every chance all my probs emanated from that rib inflammation last year. At the time, a week or so off feels worst case, but that last year? Much worse.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteM wrote (see)

Yes Iron, as I suspect you know it was my 250th but was trying to keep that quiet on here as I know it's generally frowned upon by you elite folk to do so many! 18'50 at Bracknell which is ok as its a tough course.

Anyway proper race tonight at Battersea for the 2 miler and felt relatively easy after last week's charge over 1 mile. Kept the pace pretty solid, 5'33 first mile and 5.35 second for an 11'08 which won me a lovely melon in the v50 cat! Been trying to follow Dean's advice to teach my balls to go quicker with this really short stuff with the aim of getting sub 18 over 5k. Final chance for that at Battersea is next Monday so will give it a go if conditions and form suit.

Good to meet Dachs properly at Battersea too but will leave his report to him. 

Pete, you should do more races.

Said no one ever. image

11.08 is very tasty. Strange distance. But over quickly.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a tight hip, but still fancied a track sesh, so thought i'd stick to the theme of around 3miles reps, but get in some longer reps.

3x1mile off 90secs it was then, planned the first one to be MP, and then just told myself "quicker" for the next 2.

Around 6 and 5.45 then 5.30 (exact) for the last one.

Last one wasn't the best paced, the classic fast 1st and 4th laps, and average middles, so we had 80,84,84,80. (+2)

After weeks of reps of kissing as low as 70sec 400s, and 1.18s being rock bottom pace, it's hard not to think 1.20-1.30s will be a doss. However, the extra distance to the rep soon brings reality home!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Interesting session there SG.  Always good to see the extra 9 metres added.

9:48 for 2 miles means going through 3k in about 9:07. So perhaps a fraction stronger than my best 3000 this year, but still off last year's efforts.  Not sure on whether doing it on a road adds anything, it's close to as ideal a road course as you're going to get (unless you go for one of those fancy northern net downhill ones image), but the same pace feels a lot harder on the road for some reason.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hardcore types like you Dachs would have steamrollered the 3 x1mile at actual 5k pace image But for me a lot of this stuff is re-assurance I can still run hard, but not to overly push it. I still get loads of satisfaction from completing sessions. it's just getting back to the pure satrisfaction of proper racing alone, not even pbs.

The track is just a marvellous material isn't it, every step flat and true. You sound in good form as ever, still plenty of going in top form and progressing yet.

Bus- 9miles is always a tidy run. I think we all get hung up on pace at times, but 9miles...it's a fairly long run, nice work.

Good to hear you back Ric. You've had more comebacks than...Stevie G image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

our primary school headmaster loved an alternate song about children being the future of the woooooorld...they are the future of the woorlllld, the woorrlllld

hate that song.

This was a legend that told the kids who hadn't got through to grammar schools not to worry, as their "Brains hadn't developed yet"

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

oi! Dachs, not just net downhill but 300m short too ???? 

Good mile reps sg

3*3*400 off 60s rec.  65 target pace.  In this humidity was hard but (64,66,65)(64,66,65)(64,64,65)  happy enough but had to dig in as the short rec hurt.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Body ruining pace either way, but is there a longer recovery in between each 3?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps anyone ever bought anything from Cex. (don't pronounce it, it sounds dodgy) but basically the 2nd hand electronic place?

Having got sick of taping my garmin 405 up for weeks now, and having managed to wreck trying to put a new strap in, I got an old one for £28.50.

Slightly bemused to see it turn up with a completely random charger that is nothing to do with it (lucky I've previously had this model and have the actual charger), and it seems a bit clunky on the strap...but so far looking a better bet than the £105 from Handtec, the only place on the net you can buy this now discontinued model!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sg - yes was 400m jog in between sets.  which served mearly the purpose of prolonging the hurtimage

never heard of CEX.  but i did buy my wife the 230 from wiggle for £150 and i think there is a deal at the mo on the garmin site as well.  but for such a regularly used bit of kit you should splash out...you must have saved a bomb on race fees over the last 2 years image

• Track v road for shorter distances? My experience road is harder. I did that first Westminster road mile a few years back, when we thought we had gone out pretty hard, but when we checked watches at 800m everyone was about 2/3 seconds slower than we thought.

When the gun goes off on a track I think you're just programmed to go faster than a usual steady ish start to a road race. It's a skill to judge a short road race properly I feel.

I've got a track mile tonight and a road mile in Dorset in a couple of weeks, so I'm looking forward to comparing notes.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wrong charger, felt clunky, took ages to charge, then on pressing a button today it died!

So erm...you could be right Dean...i'll probably get onto the Handtec site later and lash £106 for a new one... seems to be the only place that still stocks it

Disappointing but i suppose 2nd hand electronics are always a lotto. But no uses is a record low!

Therefore, 55min run on the mere stopwatch today (hadn't bothered charging the old garmin!), which will be 8miles.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG- i sold my old 305 recently on ebay.  whilst researching you could pick them up for as little as £15. although i got £40 for mine so if you dont mind taking a chance on 2nd hand

• I have a 305 that needs replacing. Garmin charge ~£40 for a refurb exchange (which they may do for a 405 too)..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was going to get set up on ebay, but then thought this Cex place sounded better, without having to mess about bidding. But sod's law has kicked in.

Probably about time i upgraded anyway. But now there seems to be a Forerunner 610,620,630, as well as a 230 and a 235.

Cripes.

610 is cheapest, about £130 new, but I'm so set in my 405 ways now image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cortina, might have to look at that option. After all the watch works, it's the attaching plastic that has bodged, meaning the strap won't secure on anymore!

Wish i'd not given my pal's 405 to a leaving pal a year ago now. I just know he won't be using it!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I have a 405 somewhere. Make me an offer image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's usually the batteries that are the issue on 2nd hand ones. They only have a limited life and will hold less and less charge over time.

Good reps Dean and SG (as per!).

Woke up to pissing down rain again this morning, so wasn't looking forward to my run. Luckily, by the time I'd had a coffee, dump, shave and got dressed the sun had come out image

Good luck tonight Simon....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How old is it Regy, will i charge it for 5 hours and then it dies immediately image

If you are looking to shift though, let's talk. 

Bus- think you're bang on, just annoying i hadn't got the taped up one handy. And a good job it wasn't a session, long run or (no sniggering at the back) a race image

Strangely my watch has only died twice before races/sessions. Once at Wokey, where Moz arrived at the start line like a legend with a loaner, and once before a 5k, where the sprint to the car and back, produced a 2nd placed summer series result! Must be something in that - rather than the "conserving" warmups that are standard.

Now returned to CEX, with some tightwaddery Bus would be pleased with, parking down some random residential road in a 1hr free bay a mere 1/2mile away from the town centre image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

So - run this afternoon was uneventful apart from my HR monitor not working.

Planned to go and run for about 30 minutes / 4ish mile loop in HR zone 1 (below about 150ish).

HR monitor has been rattling about at the bottom of my bag for months and months.  Strapped it on and my HR is reading at about 200... I wear a FitBit all the time and that was showing up as normal - somewhere in the 70s I think.  Thought the HRM would settle down after a while but it didn't, so I just had to ignore pace and HR and ran round with a colleague, chatting all the way.

Came out at about 8 min/mile pace which I thought might have been a bit fast for zone 1 stuff but quick look back at the FitBit stats and it shows average 147bpm so probably fine.  I would have planned to try and stick to the lower end of zone 1, more like 140ish but I'm pretty sure I'm completely fine now, so anything that's easy will be okay anyway.

I'll dick about with the HRM - I might just need to tighten the strap or something.  Better not be completely f***ed though.  I was hoping to do some more HR based training...  Typical.

• CC82 - you can have mine if you like (if I can find it).

• Seems like the summer we know is back: yesterday long run in the pouring rain and today 20+ mph winds.

Odd today crossing Hammersmith Bridge: old guy way ahead going very slowly and young lad behind up going a bit faster but still slow who tucked in behind. I passed them both and suddenly young lad speeds up and comes flying by me. I picked up speed (to about 7:15 pace form 8, so not really speed) and sat on him and he seemed to panic and had to cough, splutter and tie his lace.

• Psyching them out PMJ..Amusing. Cheers Bus, its Eastern vets but i'm not really up for it tbh, ridiculous windy weather, classic Global warming stuff we will have to get used to sadly I think. PB is 4.35, so hopefully should get under that at least.

Bit techy here isn't it? You can beat a £6.49 Casio F-91W and Mapometer website to check the distance of a run. If you do the same run faster and feel the same after...then you're getting better image

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

SC - TIme to move out of the dark ages!

Like it PMJ

SG - It's fairly old, I think the 405 was pretty new when I got it, it's just my spare if anything happens to my current watch hence it has some value to me but not much.

I'll dig it out and test it, having just moved house I don't know exactly where it is. I have a newish charger for it too.