Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I just looked at the Olympic Marathon results.  The slowest finishers in the men's race way down at 2:45 / 2:46 and in the women's race way over 3 hours.

So, basically, some of the guys on here are faster than Olympic athletes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good session there CC.8x1000m always sounds a mental battle, but you can get into a nice flow.

Those results just show how hard a marathon can be, especially in Brazilian conditions, as you can't just qualify by being the fastest in your country, you still have to hit at least the B standard, which at a guess must be 2.20 or quicker.

So, if premium trained talented guys are fading to 2.45, you can guess how amateurs would get on!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I missed that point SG - you reckon that everyone running in that marathon yesterday is actually a sub 2:20 marathoner??  I thought that perhaps some countries standard is just slower than GB's (because they don't have anyone running the sub 2:14 times that our fastest guys are!).  But there is actually a qualifying time to get into the event and not just a qualifying time to get picked by your country?

I'm relating this to my experience of watching the Commonwealth Games a couple of years ago and seeing a guy get lapped a load of times.  He looked totally pedestrian, like he'd never ran before.  He was running a 15:xx 5k!!  Just looked remarkably slow against the 13:xx guys!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

"Different from the previous Olympics, a National Olympic Committee (NOC) may enter up to 3 qualified athletes in each individual event if all athletes meet the entry standard during the qualifying period. An NOC may also enter a maximum of 1 qualified relay team per event. NOCs may enter athletes regardless of time (1 athlete per sex) if they have no athletes meeting the entry standard. This makes it possible for every nation to have a minimum of two representatives in the sport."

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good effort CC but wasn't it planned to be 10 x 1000m? 

I did a middle distance triathlon yesterday, can't be bothered with a report. 3 mechanicals cost me 4-6 minutes I guess and I forgot my timing chip.

Finished 22nd 4th in age group and only 103% or so outside the age group winner so a possible GB qualification. Without the mechanicals I'd have been a close second in age group and almost a definite qualifying time. Stupid sport.

Run was tough, started around 6:2x pace and faded to average 6:46.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC, turns out the B standard is 2.18

I read up on that underlined piece. It's slightly different to how I first read it, in that you can enter one "wildcard" across all events if no one from your whole country has qualified for track n field!

Take the guy 2nd last. A Japanese comedian (!) who runs a bit. He moved over to Cambodia, is miles off their standard, yet managed that clause!

However, the guy who finished last in 2.46, has a pb of 2.19

4th last, Argentina guy, ran 2.45, but cramped up like a bastard. Has a half pb of 1.06 (no full by the look of it)

Looks like about 15 didn't finish as well, no doubt blimming hard work.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

erm, nice one then Reg?

Don't really understand how it all works, but be glad you have a route into a GB vest!

Trying to remember who it was who was chuckling at a sport that times you getting dressed. Ric, was that your handiwork? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

whoops Ric, forgot to say yes to a lot of your piece.

2 track sessions ago in fairness I was on the same track as a woman who has represented GB, and a guy who was always right top of fields locally pre injury! So these types get around!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tri-Athlon. SG!

The sport you can lose at because you either can't get dressed/undressed quick enough, or for having an untidy room.

Mind you, I'm aware of a bi-athlete being disqualified for letting off a gun used in the competition...in her hotel room.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Reg - the session I planned was 8x 1000m but I entertained the idea of making it 10x 1000m if feeling good.  On the early reps I thought 10x might happen but by the time I got to rep 7, I was thinking 8 would be enough!

SG - ah, that makes sense otherwise the Olympics could be full of very average athletes!

EDIT: Forgot to say - running.  I ran 11 miles at about 8 min/miles this morning.  Cheeky long one as I won't get a long one over the next couple of weeks due to races image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

8x1km certainly felt plenty for me, and served as a quality peaking session.

The best thing with my current situation is the flexibility of training. I tend to try and do a couple of track sessions a week, but sometimes decide exactly what on the day.

fancied a quicker session today, both pace and timewise, so went for the shorter of the 200s ones, which is a very easy on the brain 10x200 off 90 (the other is 16x200 off 60 before anyone moans at the recoveriesimage )

all 32 and 33s.

Any purists would have been disgusted by me with no shirt on, over ear headfones, and due to a ridiculously loose pair of shorts ditched them, meaning i was in a pair of skintight lycra pants, so scandalous that I kept a beady eye out for anyone arriving!

Gorgeous scenes image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

F***ing hell.  Pants, headphones and spikes.  All you need for a good track session.

I just couldn't do a session with headphones on.  I could easily run in my pants though.

32/33 second 200s sounds quick.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Is it me, but have modern running shorts become voluminous baggy jobs?

I mean it's a long time since we've seen skin on the legs of footballers, just compare the Brazil team of 1982 with now, but running needs a tad less cloth dragging the legs.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC, never spikes for me, haven't ever worn them.

• No problem doing the 30 X 200's with headphones on! Been quiet on here then.

So front ran my 1500 on Saturday and the wind wasn't as bad as I thought. Hit 65, 2.14, 3.04 at the bell and a 67 to get me to 4.11.2 which was better than I expected tbh. That's been it, did 45 mins Sunday morning with a bit of a hangover, before venturing to the Olympic stadium to watch a very frustrating 1-0 defeat to the 'appy ammers. Back to work tomorrow and then to Watford fir another sub9 stab, hopefully Dachs and possibly Dean will be there too.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon, Not me unfortunately.  Ran awful in the wind on sat ...4.12.79 for 1500.  Slowest this yr and an 8 sec drop from a few weeks ago   Whilst it was windy I really pushed the pace and was stunned to hear the time.  Made a little more sense as Sunday fell ill to man flu and only just recovered Today.   no chance to travel to Watford tonight.   good luck chaps...weather looks good for fast times

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Ric - I think running shorts come in all shapes and sizes now.  I have a variety and only wear the really tiny ones for races...

SG - I only just invested in a pair of spikes.  Probably not massively necessary, but thought I'd give them a try.  Wore them for that 4x 500m last week after only wearing them once on a cool down before.  My calves were screaming for a couple of days after.  I've now decided that this will be good for development.  The last time my calves screamed at me like that was when I first started wearing a pair of "minimalist" shoes.  I used to wear those shoes on no more than 30 min easy runs and my calves were always stiff afterwards.  I now wear them for all of my easy runs (right up to 2 hour runs) with no issues.  I reckon that means my calves have toughened up significantly, which must be good for running.

Bad luck Dean.  Hopefully get properly over it quickly.

3x 10 minutes @ threshold pace for me this morning off 90s recoveries.  Threshold pace has been a weird one for me to nail down of late.  Last year in the build up to the marathon I was consistently hitting big threshold sessions at about 6:10-6:12 per mile but towards the end of last year and early this year, it's been closer to 6:20.  I kind of think I've been being a bit of a pussy on these sessions so decided I need to man up a little.  Gave myself the target of trying to hit 6:15 / 6:10 / 6:05 and did exactly that (except 6:14 on the first one).  And it was pretty comfortable.  Threshold pace should now be more like 6:05-6:10 I reckon. image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Oh - and good solid 1500m SC image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

fair do's CC, and another good session. You remind me of me a few years ago, enthusiastically embracing new sessions and taking them on with vigour.

Dean, speedy recovery. The mind boggles at a 4.12 being seen as a terrible result. Sounds excellent to me, as does Simon's 4.11. Obviously you're both capable of better but still.

Pretty warm today, conned myself that i'd "take it easy", as it came out the usual sort of mix of 6.49.

Will probbo do another parkrun this weekend coming, but make it a travelling brief, to gently get back into the vibe of a "proper" race a bit more.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great triathlon there Reggie, and fingers very much crossed for the GB qualification.  You can join Dean and IC on this thread's internationals list.

Handy reps there SG, sounds like there's plenty of speed in the tank.  Will be interesting to see which parkrun you crop up at.  Maybe we can have a sweepstake.

CC, good threshold session, I really like those 3 or 4 x 10 minute ones, although I usually do them on the track.

Dean - sorry to hear of your travails, and shame not to see you down at Watford, was looking forward to meeting you.  Recover well, and hopefully there are still fast times in the tank for the remainder of the season.

Simon, nice front running there.  Yes, I shall be there all present and correct tonight.  Will have my eldest in tow, he doesn't usually mind a bit of spectating.  We ought to agree a target time so we end up in the same race.  I usually put down 8:55.

Track spikes - I wear them up to 5000, but my feet do moan for a couple of days after that.  I've got a track 10000 next month, but think that'll be a bridge too far for the spikes.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good sessions CC and SG.

SImon - bad news re your 1500 in the wind...do you have any more planned? or are you turning to XC?

regards spikes.  if the total volume is less than 1mile i will wear my spikes. otherwise it can bring on injuries for me...the youngsters have no problems so im sure its an old mans problem.   Wearing spikes makes you faster, your style changes and you are more up on your toes. 

• Good sessions CC82 and SG, think I need to change my spikes as I have had then three years now. I use them up to 3000, but use flats for 5 &10k

Dean - I was quite happy in the end as it was pretty windy, suppose just didn't seem to notice it. Expected 4.14/15 so was pleased to only be 1/2 a second down on the BAL time in the end. Still got the Eastern and Southern vets finals to come, so 2 x 1500's 2 x 3K and an 800 probably!

Dachs - Yes i'll stick 8.55 down. Brutally honest would prefer a 1500 tonight, but not backing out now!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon - nah, you don't wanna be doing 1500s, not when there's a 9 minute barrier to be broken.  Mind you, hadn't clocked the timetable until just now.  9:30?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Watford... from my whopping 2 race experience i'd describe the below as typical

• The nightmare of parking, unless you don't mind being half a mile away in some random estate
    • Races always starting later than even the already ridiculously late start time, while they smash through 37 800m races and 73 1500s, including the inevitable ones that feature 53 year old blokes racing 7 year olds.
    • Swathes of scary looking teens with all the latest gear, sporting stomachs honed from iron, with their pushy parents loitering in the background trying to make up for their own crushed dreams
    • The toilets not having any lights, meaning any turds past about 8pm have to be conducted in either pitch black, or very dark with the door half open, trying to use the tiny bit of light through the main door
    • Super intense officials, who despite most of your race being made up of teen girls still talk about false starting people if there any "elbows", react furiously if you can't immediately break your 10years road racing habit of taking splits (thus blocking their cameras), and ticking you off if one of your (two) numbers comes off.

Enjoy though chaps, you guys are not 'king amateurs like I am (ed...was?)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Done it!!

Too late for race reports now though. I have to put the bins out.
  • Eating my dinner. Happy with the nights work too. Really don't think these races need to be measured by hundredths of seconds, tenths work just fine I feelimage
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ha ha!

Now, there is a thread etiquette question here, which is that I can't really do a proper race report without largely revealing Simon's result. So who goes first?

• You can do yours and tell them my time too, I'll do my bit afterimage
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No matter, I have the results right here,

Dachs did ....

'f'! I I've just been hit by a thunderbolt!

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Right you are then.

Watford open. 3000m. No surprises on the target - sub 9. Just like it was again and again and again last year and again and again and again this year.  Desperate to scrub that infuriating 9:00.23 off the record!

Bit of a warm up rampaging round a pitch black field in the rain with Simon and his mate.  Because you're never 100% sure which race you'll be in, you need to be ready for the earliest possible, which I was, but as I was in the second race, I was probably fully warmed up a bit early, and my legs felt a bit stiff by the time our race came around, at what must have been almost ten o'clock.

Big field means it takes a while to settle into a place, and I notice immediately that Simon has jettisoned the sensible 72s pacing strategy and is heading out with the lead group.  Screw that for a game of soldiers, I'm sticking with the 71s.  Well, it's a 70 to start with, but it always is.  Second lap and the pace is already feeling hard, maybe I'm suffering from not having properly raced anything shorter and faster than 3K this year.  However, it's a 71, so 2:21 at 800, and the 1K comes up in 2:57.

Now I'm in a bit of no-man's land.  There are people around, but a few metres ahead and behind.  Still, at least it's good to have space to run in.  The 71s keep coming, feeling increasingly hard work, and 1600 is reached in 4:44ish, which is still ahead of schedule.  Simon is way ahead in a good group, not going to bother chasing him.

The 72s start coming in on the fifth and sixth lap, but I know I'm ahead of target.  More worrying is the feeling that I'm going to run out of steam at this pace before the last lap begins, but at least I'm counting down now.  Into the last km, and it's just a case of hang on.  600m to go, and the mental calculations for what happens if I have a meltdown start. 400m to go and the clock says 7:44.  All I need is a 76.  That's slower than 5k pace, but I try to hit the last lap hard anyway.

200m to go, and someone is coming back towards me.  It's Simon Coombes!  Right, the race is on! Put the hammer down, or what little hammer I have left, and I'm eating up the ground.  100m to go I'm 5m down. 50m to go, I pull alongside. He sees me and responds.  We're neck and neck.  No-one blinks and we press for the line.  Briefly consider grabbing his hand and holding it aloft, in the style of Dick Beardsley and that other bloke, but think better of it.  Across the line right alongside one another, and neither of us know who crossed first.

Either way, I'm stoked to see that I have broken 9 comfortably.  Final results confirm that it's 8:55.22.  Final results also show that I have edged Simon by the width of a money spider's ballsack - an imperceptible 0.02 seconds.

Thank god for thread rivalries for spicing up a race!

So, with my only PB since last September being the marathon, I now have four PBs in August, and my plan for five August PBs is nearing completion.  Bonza!