Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps trying not to focus too much on this strava/chimp of hill stuff.

After my complete anti parkrun opinion changing to be a super fan boy, we can't be having that with all that strava stuff too! Nice CR tho!

• I can see it now, SG get's a Strava CR on Friday, Parkrun on Saturday and then a sub optimal 10k on Sunday.

I think the best way to find a running hotty might be to get back into a club?

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Fulham cool SG, still to break 18 on a pr as only done it at Batterssa. Would like another go there. Great comment Reg, we all talk Maidenhead, SG pooh poohs then goes and wins it!
  • Nicely done SG! Who'd have thought, you a parkrun tourist image

Shardeloes 10k for me today (actually nearer 6.4M but let's not quibble!). It's a tough little race with a few hills, including the sting in the tail of a freshly ploughed uphill in the last 0.5M. Long story short - first half I felt strong and was in top 10 position comfortably, but faded a bit in the second half, reflecting a lack of tempos and volume of reps probably, and lost a few places I shouldn't have to come in 12th (I think).  Only 1:20 down on my best time for the course, which was in 2012, when I got most of my PBs, so not too disappointed with the time, but should have held off at least the last guy who piped me on the line.

• I had some x-rays on Monday and the results on Friday. Interesting headline is I have 6 lumbar vertebrae instead of the usual 5 so using that as an excuse for most things. Not so interesting headline is that my spine is not in great condition but can be cured for about £500 of private treatment over the next few months but probably a price worth paying seeing as my only expenditure in running is about 4 pairs of trainers a year plus the odd race entry.

My parent are on a long boat on the Thames so ran out to meet them this morning upstream a bit of my usual stomping ground. Saw a few house that took your breath away, truly how the other half lives. One massive house with a 10" gauge trainset in the garden that must have had a mile of track.

I'd be up for Fulham, just next to my office and a regular stomping ground. Next Saturday looks free.

• I think you're the third person to mention that railway on here, after myself and Dachs.

You're probably the only one that provided the gauge though.

Nice 10k, Bus.

50 miles on the bike for me today.

• Sounds like a good effort, Bus. I'm just popping in to report the mildly amusing news that I ran 59.5 miles this week. I thought of Bus as I turned for home, not bothering to tack on an extra half-mile.

• Nice further-than-10k Bus.

Lit, my training tends to be on a time basis so I rarely know what I've done for the week until I look at it Sunday night.

I finally broke the hour today on a 25mi TT. Then noticed not everyone did the full 25mi Strava segment (I did), and that the lap-distance on the Garmin was 40k (not 40.2).Then I hear rumours of the finish line in the wrong place.

It is believed we will still get a result and still have the finish time shown on it, but won't be able to use that officially. I did 57m54s, Strava has me at 58m16s for the full 25miles rolling unpowered for the last 200m. A correct finish would have been a smidge over 58. Either way I still beat the target and still PB'd.
    It's a bit Manchester Marathon TBH.

There was a house near my parents' that had its own narrow gauge railway. I remember they opened it up when I was a kid and we rode around their garden. I imagine I was quite jealous.

Running-wise I think the plan is to do 1 easy run per week then pace the other half around Amsterdam HM for a PB. Then some months off and try to resolve the perennial achilles issues I have had since 2013. No running racing or tri/du for me next year. A whole year of re-build.

• Cheers chaps. Actually 11th on the results, so that last minute being pipped on the post was even more of a pain! Looking at the results, the race had far more vets than seniors! Sign of the times I guess...

Well done Iron - mind bogglingly quick! Shame it won't be official, but you still did it!

Lit - even second hand, that is disturbing! Mind you, I do prefer 62.14M than 60 anyway (at least while we are still in the EU)

Philip - yikes, that sounds a bit disturbing. Is it causing pain?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

C5, yes a really fast time indeed. I was out on the bike for 45 miles today myself. I hit 39 mph in one place and was amused to slip stream my lad as he tanked along at 30 mph as we came away from Tring heading south.

We were going to go down the A41 but a set of signs signifying no bikes put us off. Not sure where that leaves TT's on the bypass mind.

As for Phil and the extra vertebrae. I've just watched a program which mentioned 15% have Rh negative blood type and several factors seemed to be attached to this. One is the extra vertebrae, the others are low blood pressure, lower HR, *greying hair, glasses and attendance of Cambridge University*

* I might have made these one's up.

The program was one of those Ancient Aliens episodes. My missus hates them like anything and leaves the room. I watch because I think our human history has some strange anomalies. Not sure it's aliens though, but there's something going on, or was.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

C5, yes a really fast time indeed. I was out on the bike for 45 miles today myself. I hit 39 mph in one place and was amused to slip stream my lad as he tanked along at 30 mph as we came away from Tring heading south.

We were going to go down the A41 but a set of signs signifying no bikes put us off. Not sure where that leaves TT's on the bypass mind.

There are plenty of red bordered triangle signs with a bicycle in the middle. These mean beware of the cycle (AFAIK). Or do you refer to red bordered cycles with a line through them?

45miles is a healthy distance to be out. Nicely done.

• Cycles are not only allowed, but actually have a legal right (unlike cars) to be on any public road.except motorways. Whether it is prudent or not to cycle on the A41 is another matter!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Quick read back - looks a good weekend of running / cycling.

Good PR win SG and good 10k (and a bit) Bus and awesome TT Cortina!

More of the "easy" base building for me, so Sunday was a 13 miler with bags of hills (about 1200 ft of climbing).  Was out with my mate Pete, so the pace was a bit slower than if on my own, and we were slowed by losing the path and having to climb up through heather etc.  Cracking run out though to complete 51.11 for the week.

10 miles this morning with the last 7 @ about 6:40-6:42 pace.  That sort of thing feels remarkably easy to be honest.

• PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Philip - yikes, that sounds a bit disturbing. Is it causing pain?

No direct pain from the extra vertebra but my spine is not so good and that gives me referred pain in my knee.

RicF wrote (see)
    As for Phil and the extra vertebrae. I've just watched a program which mentioned 15% have Rh negative blood type and several factors seemed to be attached to this. One is the extra vertebrae, the others are low blood pressure, lower HR, *greying hair, glasses and attendance of Cambridge University*

* I might have made these one's up.

I am rhesus negative and that does appear to be a factor if you google but I am more than dubious as many kinks do mention aliens and angels ...

• I have no idea of my blood type, am I alone in this regard?

• No Reg! Good parkrun SG, 10k ish Bus and training others.

Cycle on the A41? Not unless you have a deathwish I suppose. That place is a racetrack. Good effort Cortina - my only hard ish ride was 23 miles in 1 hour 18 mins in training for my one and only sprint Tri.

Quiet weekend - 11/12 miler Saturday and off to football for the stuffing by City. Pubs in Manc once again excellent though. Marshalled Leighton 10 Sunday am - incorporated the Bucks County champs too, S Beedell had a decent run. Did about 5 miles running about, felt better than I did Saturday morning due to the extra carbs image

• Not all of the A41, just the downhill bit. ????

There was a recent study that showed an increase in performance after a night out with plenty of alcohol. The findings noted this was relevant to females only.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I have no idea of my blood type, am I alone in this regard?

Nope, I have no idea of your blood type either.

Well parkrun SG.  For a bit of context, I went to Maidenhead parkrun at a time when I was comfortably spitting out 16:40s at Woodley, and did 17:15.  I only went because it was new and I wanted to say that I once held a parkrun course record, although I lost it about six weeks later.  I certainly didn't think it was fast.

Good stuff on the almost top 10 Bus.

And well done everyone else on everything else (sorry, I did read back this morning, but can't be arsed to go back to the previous page now, so am working from memory).

Bit of illness last week knocked my training out, and I'm still finding the after effects knocking about, although a 11 miler at supposedly easy but actually at 6:27 pace on Saturday indicates the legs have still got something.

I've now decided that I'm gradually killing myself with lack of sleep, and that that answer is to actually log my hours of sleep alongside my miles.  This appeals to my anal nature, and might actually encourage me to go to bed earlier purely to see the weekly total totting up.  Ambitious weekly target = 50 hours.

• In case you were wondering Dachs, it was me that tooted my horn at you during your Saturday run. Later on I crossed paths with another Woodley PR legend in Roy M, on my Saturday run. Fascinating stuff.

• Reg Wand wrote (see)

I have no idea of my blood type, am I alone in this regard?

I only know as I give blood, public duty and all that.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, I did very briefly wonder.

People are always tooting their horn at me.  I don't run in my glasses, so have no idea who any of you are.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The last time someone tooted at me was just prior to them cutting me up with their van as they pulled into a pub forecourt.

The passenger leaning out the window screaming 'you f..ing c..t!', adding to the experience.

How tiresome. I wonder how long it took them to discover their wagon lacked wipers.

The road sign was a red triangle with a bike inside so best I don't take another driving test. In mitigation all I can say was I was a bit tired at the time.

My lad now tells me he had seen a similar sign earlier with a cow inside. What did he think that meant? cows not allowed to use the A41!

Something else, I've been asked if I could coach the senior long distant/middle distant squad at Harrow AC.

Thinking about it.

🙂

• Definitely no cows allowed on the A41 - they need to use an udder route.... the beef41

• The Bus wrote (see)

Definitely no cows allowed on the A41 - they need to use an udder route.... the beef41

image That is truly awful Bus.

• That actually made me LOL. Twice.

Any local bods doing the VOAAC "Night of Racing" races this Wednesday? There's an open mile and an open 10,000m (Bucks Champs). EOD available

• Not me for the 10,000. Mid summer it always sounds a good idea, but by mid September it is dark at 7:05 so a race starting at 7:15 in the dark and wind and rain is not very attractive.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't encourage Bus on the old man puns! The last time this happened there were about 3 pages of tedious efforts on some other subject!

I will encourage Bus on the turn out at the weekend though, good work

ps sorry about that Ric, I was in a bad mood that day imageimage

Good to hear a legend of your standing thinks a large chunk can be chomped off of Maidenhead's parkrun Dachs. Maybe i'm not quite yet finished!

Yesterday was a 10miler, registering a strangely outrageous 196 max HR,  presumably for a very short time, with a 162 average in a simple dead on 7min mile run.

I wonder if the run after a "race", the reading is always slightly off, as the parkrun gave a 193 max.
    Or it might be a little cheeky bit of the arrhythmia showing itself, and showing i'm wise to limit to 5ks right now, where I can get somewhere decently close to what I ever used to do 5ks in, can do tonneloads of them, and gives a competitive weekly edge like football used to! Maybe this is the perfect happy medium.

• Checked my diary and am not free this Saturday for parkrun, last child back to university (at least for this term).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hereford trip these last couple of days, taking my old mum to a 50 year college reunion!  130mile drive, overnighter, then me basically losing myself in Hereford for a day.

Rest day Monday then!

Give me a couple of days of training, and we'll confirm whether Fulham on Saturday is a goer.

The genius of this whole parkrun circus obviously being you can decide willy nilly!

I also fancy that one that is a 5 lapper, Gunnersby is it? Or somewhere near Arsenal's ground anyway!

Probably also Nonsuch park as well. Simply just for the ridiculous name.

But we're getting obsessed again, so let's ease it down...