Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seems the alternative course to Aldershot was deemed to be crap. I imagine the team which won and the guy who ran the fastest leg thought it wonderful.

Mixed training for me today. Five mile steady early on. Ignoring the incredibly generous Garmin misread which gave me a 1st mile of sub 7 uphill and warming up as I went. Normal service averaged around low 7's.

A spot of work and it was out on the bike for around 90 minutes.

Tin of Guinness and some red wine and all is good.

Then I get told that the hospital phoned up (wife answered) and offered me an endoscope due to a cancelation, on Thursday. She agreed in my absence. Great! Get in there (with a camera).

No idea why the medics want to go poking about again, but it keeps them busy I suppose.

Hopefully they'll knock me out cold like last time. Comfy pillow. Should have asked to keep it.

🙂

• Anyone else not getting emails when someone posts?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Ric, since the team that won was Aldershot, who usually host and had their alternative venue overruled by SEAA, I doubt they were massively keen. And I know Andy Vernon, who ran the fastest leg, was not enamoured, as my clubmates heard him moaning about it.

SG come on, you must have seen a 1500!
  • Thanks Ric, it's been a while since we had some anal action on here.

Yes Iron, haven't had any for a few days.

Only had time for 4miles whilst my dinner sat in the oven. Decided on strides so I could try and hide my attempt to take a sprint CR on Strava. Duly done with a second to spare.

Nice to pick up another world record.

• Nicely done.

40 minutes wife pace jog at lunch. All about form innit.

Dachs wrote (see)

SG come on, you must have seen a 1500!

I still can't believe he didn't know where the 300m line was!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I found it eventually, but it aint marked as 300 image

ps iron, who the blimmin hell gets emails when a post is made?! I turned those off in about 2004, as you get tonne loads of emails!

Could explain how Lit and people seem to respond within 23seconds at times though. I presumed they just patrolled the forum constantly 

•  

Reg Wand wrote (see)

You might want to pick your start line based on the wind image

The track I use is double sided i.e. has two starts and two finishes. Even has the 10m extension for hurdles on each straight and so has 100/300m markers at 100 and 300 metres however you count it.

• Took me a while to work out how to do 1000m on the track image

• The M'head track doesn't have any real markings being cinder. There is some tape on the fence posts, I just have to guess. That's why I prefer doing multiples of 400m.

It does have infinite start and finishes though.

• Just spotted a session one of my Strava buddies did last night - 33 x 300m then 3 x 120m.

Leaving aside how you measure 120m - thirty bloody three!!!!

• I'm getting the emails now. 

33 is a lot but still less than a 10k.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Took me a while to work out how to do 1000m on the track image

reminds me of a chap who had to ask how many laps needed for 800m

• The Bus wrote (see)

Just spotted a session one of my Strava buddies did last night - 33 x 300m then 3 x 120m.

Leaving aside how you measure 120m - thirty bloody three!!!!

I guess it depends what the RI is. If it's static then so be it, maybe wander slowly to the next mark on the track. A timed jog recovery could get you where you need to be.

I've just had a rake of emails too.

• I don't get the e-mails because if I care whether anyone's posted I can always just log in and have a look. I think the near-instant replies you get sometimes are because the threads with the latest posts are at the top, so you tend to click on them first; we must just tend to log in at the same time.

We normally measure non-standard distances by one of the coaches nicking my water bottle and putting it next to the track so I can't bloody drink it.

Edit: Oh, FFS, now I'm getting notification spam when I've got e-mails turned off.

• That was more than 23 seconds.

• 33 x 300? Too many surely to keep the quality there - and if it's endurance surely a pyramid on the road would be better? Like my 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minute thing with a minute in-between.

So training last night at the rugby club - 8 x 800 consisting of 600m around the two pitches then 200m at the end up and down the ridge of doom, 1.20 recovery. So did 2.28 for 5, 2.30 for the first and fifth and 2.24 for the last one. General timings were 1.48 for the 600 and 40 secs to get up to the cone on top the ridge of doom and back down again. Decent session and felt quite warm too.

Going for the full 14 mile commute all week (Mon, Weds & Friday), plus Primrose Hills tomorrow, 14/15 Saturday morning and some tempo stuff on Sunday, which should get me to bout 70 miles for the week.Hopefully get some endurance going for xc season. actually better buy some more Haraka!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Haha PMJ image

Sorry - too much catching up to do to comment on everyone's running.... But well done everybody.  Some great stuff as ever - relays in particular.

I ran over 60 miles last week for the first time since probably April last year.  I was in Hamburg for a stag weekend, but seeing as I don't drink, I took the opportunity to run when everyone else was hungover.  13 miles on Saturday, then 8 on Sunday.  Then an extra 4 with one of the guys who fancied a run (straight after my 8!).  25+ over the weekend.  Ace stuff.

Rested Monday, then 10 yesterday with 4 @ 6:42ish and 3 @ 6:30ish, then a double today of 7 @ 7:16s, 6 @ 7:41s + 6x 15 sec strides.

Bennachie Hill Race on Sunday this week.  8.2 miles with some big hills.  Hopefully smash my time from 2 years ago image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

That was more than 23 seconds.

You've used that one before image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

and yeah, surely if you attempt a 33x300 at quicker than 10k pace you'd soon find the pace tails off

Seems quite short distance reps if you're targetting 10k though?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

As for Bus's picture, how hip and handsome is that man?

Just need to cut out the strange one eyed business, and we'd really have a forumite pinup

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps apologies, just realised this would give 4 notification emails imageimage

Forgot to ask Bus, now i see what you mean with the strange cones, although i reckon some chump has kicked a couple.

At least it's a parkrun where you respect the cones though. Both Gadesbridge and South Oxhey had them as strange outliers, with people seemingly free to go as close to them as they fancied, or just cut tonneloads of corner off!

Fairly new young guy at work,recently had a mad regime, where most days he'd run 7miles, get a train, run 2miles. x2 a day, x5 a week. So around 80mile weeks, as he might not have a full 5 days doing it all...but on average.

Perhaps not surprisingly, he found that tough going, so cycles the 2m bits now, and has a day of pure cycling. But still probably pushing 60?

Good guy though, told him of the parkrun scene, and where he lives he has tonne load of choice. Dulwich is his 2nd or 3rd closest, so strongly recommended that as the one to do.

Will be interested to see what he could put down with that base mileage!

In showing him some different runs, I noticed Bushy's 2nd place was about 17.20s this week, out of about 1,200!  Small sharp end after the sub 16 winner!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The relays probably blunted the sharp end of most parkruns this week.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

18 miles a day run commuting sounds glorious to me.  I wish I lived close enough to run commute.  40 miles each way is probably pushing it a bit.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good point Dachs.

CC, glorious? Maybe once a week, in summer.

But every day, all year round, carrying all manner of guff? Nah.

I thought i'd hate a 30min drive, after years of next to jack, but it makes that period between being half awake and ready to go quite seemless i find now.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps how things change, I forgot a cursory mention of the day's run

Just the single, but an 8 at 6.42. Too fast really, especially early morn after a late night out (by my standards), but rest of day to sit back as a reward.

• Reg Wand wrote (see)

I'm getting the emails now. 

33 is a lot but still less than a 10k.

Not if you add the 3 x 120m too!  As for distance - 33 of ANYTHING is just mind-numbing!

Where's me feckin parrott then Philip???? I always have my left eye shut when I'm working hard - not sure why! I consciously try to open it and smile when I see a photographer (for SG's pleasure - same reason I always end up topless when he's with me after a race image) but he caught me on the hop on this one (quite literally!). Yeah, those cones were not exactly helpfully placed as you either had to go up onto the path or run across a sideways slope! I think the fallen ones were wind assisted though.

Good work CC - big weekend!

Nothing wrong with the odd medium fast paced run SG. I think too many people ignore these. Did you see Sam's partners marathon blowout on FB? 20 miles in 1:59 then 47+ minutes for the last 10k....

• I really enjoy my commute run to work. Shortest route is 8.2 miles and I can make it much more scenic at about 10-11 miles. Cycling in means all I really need to carry is a front door key but I usually take my phone home too.

I couldn't do it more than twice a week though. SG there must be a decent route to your work on the footpaths. Do you have an option to get back via public transport or get yourself a nice bike image

You only get one email notification per visit, i.e the first new post since you last visited the forum.

• I think I run with an eye shut too.

Hour on the bike at lunch today.