Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Dachs, you have competition on the artistic front!

Brett Sutton's lot once prescribed 800m x 20something reps to a high-achieving Kona-bound ironman. Nuts to that!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How can you run with one eye open and not affect balance and all sorts?

And what if a fly goes in your other eye? It becomes a right old game of chance then.

• Options

Can't see much out of my left eye anyway - just colour and movement, but no focus at all, so its no real loss. Funnily enough, I once ran into some holly in fading light in the woods, badly scratching the cornea in my good eye, just before a trip to the Lakes. After a visit to A&E I had to wear a patch for two days and couldn't run, and the Mrs had to drive us there. I then had to wear very dark sunglasses for the next few day, even though it was grey. Made for interesting fell-running!!

Philip - can I have a pirate beard too please?

I like my run commute too AG (not always though - those cold, wet, dark Jan runs in the woods can sometimes be a bit hard to stomach!). I think SG needs to be shown how to use an OS map (were you a boy scout at all SG?).

Talking off whihc - very much fading light territory tonight, not helped by having to take a lengthy detour around a herd of enormous and quite skittish looking bullocks that have just turned up in one of the fields I cross!

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

And what if a fly goes in your other eye? It becomes a right old game of chance then.

As I am sure the stats-king PMJ will verify, if you have 2 objects the chance of failure doubles.

Thus by running with one eye shut Bus & I have half the chance of getting a fly in the eye cf you binocular runners.

• Options

Indeed - very positive way of looking at it Iron image. Just need to tell the bloody flies!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

erm..right image

I don't deal with maps. It brings back memories of some Geography exam at about 13 years old, tiny little desk, massive map.

Probably best with the serious conditions never actually being ruled out that I'm not pissing about down some isolated woody routes in the middle of nowhere anyway image

• Options
    Bus- shame about the eye mate. Ive nearly done that too in dark woods, notably a Tring invitation night where we were virtually running in pitch black. Was wet though and cloudy.

CC82- hope you enjoyed the stag. I personally think Mine was the first Hamburg stag do back in 2006. Never heard of anyone going there for a stag before then LOL. Did you do the fish market on Sunday morning? Top place. Bonkers mind.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Quick read through.

Had to clear the front room out for a new carpet, so no computer for the day.

Nothing wrong with the old carpet (not my decision for a change) it was still good for another couple of decades.

Found all sorts of stuff hidden away in corners. I came across a Slide Rule of all things.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/images/post-top-left.png?version=10546429202

Thanks Ric, it's been a while since we had some anal action on here.

Wrong end, Reg. This was another stomach job. Well would have been if the hospital hadn't phoned to say it was a appointment mix up. Instead it was 'see you next year'. Shame. I quite fancied the procedure - again.image.

Note about massive day to day routine mileage. Read an article about this American guy who just started running to amuse himself and before you know it, was running double figures am & pm. No plan for anything.

Then one day he was asked by some friends to come along to do a marathon.

Seems he just ran along until everyone else fell away and did a low 2:30. Which was nice!

🙂

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

SC - no fish market Sunday morning.  Is that actually a fish market or something else entirely?  The shape of some of the lads on Sunday morning, if it was actually a fish market, that would not have been a good idea...

Ric - that anecdote about the 2:30 marathoner is kind of where I was going with 18 miles of run commuting a day being glorious.  High mileage like that has got to reap rewards and running when you'd otherwise be driving (so as not eating into your schedule etc.) is really appealing!

11 miles this morning for me.  2 warm up and cool down with the middle 45 mins made up of 15 @ 6:40, 15 @ 6:32, 15 @ 6:22.  Really tough one this morning as it was mega windy.  Rest day tomorrow image

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

The Bus wrote (see)

Can't see much out of my left eye anyway - just colour and movement, but no focus at all, so its no real loss. Funnily enough, I once ran into some holly in fading light in the woods, badly scratching the cornea in my good eye, just before a trip to the Lakes. After a visit to A&E I had to wear a patch for two days and couldn't run, and the Mrs had to drive us there. I then had to wear very dark sunglasses for the next few day, even though it was grey. Made for interesting fell-running!!

Philip - can I have a pirate beard too please?

I like my run commute too AG (not always though - those cold, wet, dark Jan runs in the woods can sometimes be a bit hard to stomach!). I think SG needs to be shown how to use an OS map (were you a boy scout at all SG?).

Talking off whihc - very much fading light territory tonight, not helped by having to take a lengthy detour around a herd of enormous and quite skittish looking bullocks that have just turned up in one of the fields I cross!

I missed this post somehow. I had a left-eye squint as a baby and even though it was corrected (ish, early 80s laser surgery) my brain tends not to use that eye. The introduction of monitors and tiny phones with tiny screens doesn't help either.

We used slide rules in uni. I think it was a history lesson or something.

• Options

i think stories like the the chap who did high mileage and then did a 2.30 marathon are outliers.  He was probably a 2.30 marathoner anyway and just did the training.  IMO most people trying to run 18m+ a day over a long period would break.  and spend large parts injured.  Or they run them that slow that they would probably benefit from a smarter training routine with faster miles.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Most people who randomly run 18 miles a day for the hell of it are hippies who just want to feel the wind in their hair, listen to the birds and fondle the badgers.  These people wouldn't lower themselves to participating in anything as demeaning as a race, not when there's Brazilian tribal music to be danced to.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, as is running. We all have a potential to do something. It's how smart our training is which leads to how far that potential is revealed.

Having said that. There's some quarters who seem to think that 'you are, what you are, you are'. Those are the types for which training appears to be a kind of punishment for being born with the ability to run well.

You can't turn a donkey into a race horse. But you can turn the donkey into a faster donkey.

Couldn't imagine not having two good eyes. Ok. I need reading glasses, but apart from that, I'm fortunate.

Lately I've acquired some new binoculars. Zeiss. Cost more than a lot of cars do, and almost as much as a dentist makes in a day. They (binoculars) have the focus ability to enhance whatever I'm looking at. Excellent.

Four miles early on. Felt flat and duff as the first mile was a laboured 8:30. Three miles later the average was 7:50. I guess I sped up.

🙂

• Options

I've never known any different - apart from several years at school where I was forced to wear a patch over my good eye to try and bring the bad one up to scratch! Pointless - never worked. Still, it made me a good source of amusement for others!). worse is the ageing effect combined with being long sighted. Means multi-focal contact lens in the good eye which are OK for close work, but rubbish for middle distance...

No run today. Time was tight, as were the legs, so canned it in favour of an easy run tomorrow, leg loosener Sat and race Sunday.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

I've never known any different - apart from several years at school where I was forced to wear a patch over my good eye to try and bring the bad one up to scratch! Pointless - never worked. Still, it made me a good source of amusement for others!). worse is the ageing effect combined with being long sighted. Means multi-focal contact lens in the good eye which are OK for close work, but rubbish for middle distance...

Maybe that's why you struggled to pace the mile race?

• Options
  • Options

Last week I ducked out of an LT session. 3 efforts with 3 mins easy in between. 14mins & 2 x 10 mins.

I managed it on the commute home tonight and in a surprisingly easy manner. I averaged low 170's HR with HM effort being closer to 180. 

First 14 minutes came out at 6:03 and the next two 10 minutes both at 5:49 although I did 11 minutes for the final one.

It all felt pretty comfortable and I am hoping it's a sign that I am on track for a bit of an improvement but we will see.

• Options

Nice.

40mins at WP concentrating on form. LH Achilles seems to be improving.

• Options

I'm being thick - WP?

Good session AG - very promising! Anything lined up to test?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Wycombe parkrun?

Wafting penis?

Warehouse project?

AG, things look promising. Any races lined up?

I'm lucky with my eyesight. Never had any bother with it. My brother on the other hand has a lazy eye. It starts wandering.

I did find out that my left eye is the dominant one though the other week whilst at centre parks doing a bit of archery. I was adamant that if I had to shoot a rifle or a bow and arrow I'd pull the trigger/bow with my left hand as it felt more natural. A hand gun I'd be right handed though.

He had me making a a triangle with my thumbs and fingers with my arms extended and then slowly bringing it back to my nose. It turns out that you bring it back towards your dominant eye.

Not sure if I'd be shit with a hand gun in my right hand but I was ok firing with my left.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Oh, first XC on Saturday. Should be a laugh!
  • Options
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bus may have seen this on Facebook but i find this pretty amazing. Ive ran in this relay before and the lake district terrain is brutal. It's also worth bearing in mind that the top teams who've tried to beat them have GB international mountain/ fell runners in. The likes of Keswick AC have a team that's all pretty much 32 10k standard runners or better in at the minute.

Hodgson Brothers Relay

When Leicester won the Premier league in 2015, it was said that the odds of them winning at the start of the season were a million to one.

I wonder what odds would be given to any premier football club winning the premier league for 20 years consecutively. In fact I wonder what odds would be given to any team in any competitive sport winning any league or trophy consecutively for 20 years, it would be nigh on impossible. Add into the mix that the sport in question was fell running over Lakeland???s roughest ankle breaking terrain, in thick mist, in the first weekend in October, over a four legged relay, and the odds would be completely off the scale.

But this is exactly what Borrowdale Fell Runners have done, they have won the Ian Hodgson Mountain Relay 19 consecutive times over the last 21 years. The event has been cancelled twice in this time, once because of Foot and Mouth and once because of flooding. The last team to win was Kendal in 1994! Remarkably one of Borrowdale???s finest runners, Mark Roberts who has been in 18 of Borrowdale's winning teams was also part of that Kendal winning team and Jim Davies has been on all 19 winning teams!

And it's not as if other teams have tried their very best to unseat them over this time, there has been some very close battles against the very best Fell Running clubs in the country, Dark Peak have come close a couple of times, so have Calder Valley, Bingley and, Pudsey and Bramley, Keswick were close in 2015. In 2010 Mike Fanning and Nick Fish went astray on the first leg and came in 7 minutes behind the leaders in 7th place. But gradually over the next 3 legs they caught up and on the final descent to the finish, Ben Bardsley and Morgan Donelly made a decisive move and went on to claim victory from the jaws of defeat over an extremely disappointed Pudsey and Bramley team. Another year Phil Davies broke his leg descending on leg 3, he managed to hobble to the change over with his partner, Mark Roberts and still managed to hold onto the lead. Amazingly the pair still got the fastest leg on that day and the team went on to win again.

It's going to be a tall order for the boys in purple to win this year though, their team is seriously depleted through injury and a couple of the guys are now in their 50???s. They have failed to put a proper competitive team together for this years British and English Championship where they are normally so strong. They have won the English team championship 12 times in the last 20 years and the British team prize 13 times, the years that they didn't win they were first loser. (2nd).

Keswick AC are probably the odds on favourites to win having both local knowledge and a young team bristling with talent, but Dark Peak and Calder Valley teams are chomping at the bit so the race is wide open this year.

Whatever happens next Sunday, ( 2nd Oct) whether they win or lose, it should be a cause for celebration, I doubt any other team will ever come close to the kind of domination shown by Borrowdale Fell Runners in any sporting event.
  • Options

I have a 10k in a few weeks. I am hoping to revise the PB.

I need to find a 5k tune up too but I am busy Saturdays and Sunday mornings so I may have to do a solo time trial.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Certainly looking good for a PB!
  • Options

Matt - I hadn't picked up on that. Amazing stuff! (though I'm sure Philip will be on later to show why, statistically, it's the equivalent of Jockey Wilson winning the World Darts champs two years in a row image). So many amazing facts in that potted history, but Phil Davies broken leg story is just brilliant - why let something like a broken leg stop you winning eh?

PeteH - thanks for the WP clarification. Good job he's not married to Gemma Steelimage

Which 10k AG?

• Options

Great Fell story! WP - Good session there, good luck with the xc ML84.

CC82 - The Fishmarket in Hamburg is basically a wharf building on the dockside -looks like a jumble sale on the outside (it's packed at 6 in the morning, which was halfway through my Saturday night out!) Inside there's traditional fish stalls, bars, a stage with Kareoke etc..I honestly hadn't heard of anyone going to Hamburg stag wise before I went on my stag - the bloke who cuts my hair has just come back from one and I was glad to hear there weren't any other stag do's just loads of German hen nights. Hasn't changed then image

Decent hill sesson yesterday afternoon at Primrose Hill, 8 reps which took about 1.12 mins on average. Recovery is about a 30 secs walk, 90 secs jog back down the hill. Feeling the benefits of the hills and quite a lot of floor exercises at home, the 6/7 miles this morning to work felt great.

• Options

I did do a few reps up Primrose hill on Boxing day, we were staying in some £4m town house in S.Hamstead. £4m and it had a tiny garden!

Bus - It's the Fleet 10k that Pete recommended. I booked it as a warm up for Abbey Dash but then I decided just to do Fleet.

I was going to say Wife pace is very much relative. Currently that's around 10mm but I reckon I could get her to 8's with training.

• Options
    Cortina5 wrote (see)

As I am sure the stats-king PMJ will verify, if you have 2 objects the chance of failure doubles.

Thus by running with one eye shut Bus & I have half the chance of getting a fly in the eye cf you binocular runners.

Not sure that holds. As an engineer, I see the need for 2 eyes. If you need 2 eyes, then it is sensible to have 3, so one can acciedentally fail and you still have 2. You then need to add one, so you can take an eye out of operation for preventative maintenance and still have 3 working eyes, so 4 eyes are clearly needed.

Cortina5 wrote (see)

We used slide rules in uni. I think it was a history lesson or something.

I used slide rules in earnest. One of the places I worked out had a seriously massive slide rule (about 5 meres long mounted on a wall) accurate to 3 decimal places. You had to queue in line in order to use it.

• Options

South Bucks 10k this Sunday, who is racing other than bus?