Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I've got the really nobbly black foam roller. It hurts! Dean - must try some Lemsip too! Not surprised you're feeling a bit dicky after that effort..

Agree that its great at these relay event s where you can marvel at some of the top boys..how they can go round that course so quickly -the mind boggles. CC82 - Spoke to Steve Way at the Shapwick mile races in the summer. Well if I had stayed in Bmth I might have been his team mate at Bmth AC (who is this upstart etc etc!!).

Bum/Glutes quite painful today. I get the feeling this is going to hang around for a while. Constant reminder not to get pissed and fall over at football image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good efforts at relaying, not done many such things, and clearly way lower standard, but a nice sense of community and ting.
    Simon, how many turn outs at races and relays do you do a year? Seem to always be on the go!

CC, your longer runs are certainly getting faster! And that MP sounds very much the old "theoretical" pace like Moraghan used to give me, although mine was based on achieved HM time. That gave me a 6.00-6.10, which came out at the fast end more often than not, sometimes just under. But realistically, I wouldn't be doing whatever that;d translate as!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work on the long run CC  - that's a very challenging MP your coach has given you, but plenty of time to make it so image

Matt, Simon, Dean - top relaying! That team spirit and camaraderie is something I think I really miss out on by not being in a club. Just occurs to me that Dean is R7 whilst Simon is in arse hell......

Day off today - bit knackered after yesterday and feel like I've got some sort of virus type thing kicking in.  On the Echinacea and see what happens....

• On the subject of relays and hanging out with the top stars, CC, are you doing the national xc relays?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yet another Saturday morning burn up from the nation's newest parkrun tart, SG. I can see you in that 250 t-shirt already.  Nice battling at the front, shame you couldn't be the record holder if only for a week.

Bus, sounds like a pretty handy performance to me.

CC, great work on slipping under 10, especially in typical windy conditions, although I suppose you lot up there must be used to walking and running diagonally.

Great reports from the relays, and well done to Dean on taking thread bragging rights with a typical crazy fast finish. Good run from Matt given a lack of recent fast racing, and Simon with a niggle.

Must admit to feeling some jealousy, as I'd love to be part of it, but my club realistically won't ever get there despite having about 3x as many members as Matt's. We'd have to get everyone out, and then it would be borderline. Frustrating, cos only four teams at the Southerns had all six runners faster than me, so I'm clearly quick enough to be there. Does make me wonder about a future change of clubs. The obvious choice would be Reading AC, who interestingly, despite Jonny D's sleepiness, didn't finish a full team. One to ponder.

Training going OK generally. Everything easy seems to be coming out at sub 7s. It's like I'm Stevie G or something.

• Do it, Dachs. Since changing clubs myself two years ago, I have won at least 8 nearly-identical team medals, some of which don't even say what they are for on them. At my old club we'd be lucky if we even had a ladies' team, as there were only about 3 women members anyway.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sage advice as always Lit.

Just realised that something I wrote got autocorrected to 'Jonny D's sleepiness', and I have no recollection of what it was supposed to be.

Maybe 'speediness'?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

On the subject of relays and hanging out with the top stars, CC, are you doing the national xc relays?

I don't even know when the national XC relays are...  I know the North District relays were at the weekend just past but I wasn't there and I'm not sure if we even got a team in.  I'm guessing we'd have to qualify to enter the Nationals?

Shorter answer is probably not!

I'll probably head up to Inverness for the North District XC Champs but I won't be anywhere near selection for the Inter-District champs.  I might go to the Nationals in Falkirk in February but will probably be lining up Kinloss to Lossiemouth HM the weekend before so not sure...  It's difficult to too many races that involve travelling with 2 young kids at home!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It might be interesting for you to move Dachs, but is it just for certain relays? It's not like when i moved, being part of a small club, and the fastest by a long chalk. You're already at a big club with quite a few fasties.

For some reason i always accept your clearly typoed stuff, just presuming you meant what you wrote. So i took sleepiness as being Johnny "Only" coming 6th or 7th or whatever,

Right, felt the need to do some longer reps today, as I've been being a little naughty just doing the short stuff that i can monster recently.

Therefore, a 5x1k job. Went for 90secs rather than the 2mins on my plan. The lesser recovery, as well as leaping in at 1k, when the original plan built from 600-800-1000 would obviously bring some slower times, although i'd have to check back to see by how much

Anyhoo,

3.19 ish average. So a nice chunk above what i'm doing any 5ks at, but good motivation to see whether we can get back to sub 17 in the right 5k race

• Nice reps, SG, They definitely point at something a bit quicker than 17:20.

Dachs - I kind of feel loyal to my club so I'd find it difficult to move for a few relays and what not. Depends how integrated you are with all the social and other aspects etc. You could try and recruit some faster runners, RRR have a lot of members, I'm surprised there aren't enough to get you qualified.

I am thinking of doing one final key session for this 10k, possibly at the track tomorrow. Anyone got a favourite session they'd do 10ish days out. I think Dachs, you did a 3 x 2 mile but I am not sure I am fit enough to do that one justice.

• CC82 wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

On the subject of relays and hanging out with the top stars, CC, are you doing the national xc relays?

I don't even know when the national XC relays are...  I know the North District relays were at the weekend just past but I wasn't there and I'm not sure if we even got a team in.  I'm guessing we'd have to qualify to enter the Nationals?

They're on the 22nd but clubs will need to have entered runners already, so unless yours just enters everyone on the off-chance they'll be available, it's probably too late. But you don't have to qualify - that's precisely why it's such a great event, despite being in Cumbernauld... - everyone can take part but you also have some of the best runners in Scotland there. I'm still recovering from the marathon and didn't do the district relays, but will be propping up the B team at the national relay.

Re. relays and club loyalty, I actually changed clubs because I was moving from Nottinghamshire to Scotland. But if I hadn't moved when I did, I was just about to desert my (small, local) club for a bigger one. At the time my club had very few women runners and I was more likely to win individual championships than team ones. They would have taken the piss a bit, but would have been fine with me transferring to a club that actually had a women's team, so I could take part in relays and count for championship teams. In my current club, we get a lot of the juniors transferring in from the smaller local clubs, because they get better competition opportunities with us. But we would never try to persuade anyone to join if it wasn't going to be better for their running and racing - I think sensible clubs and club runners are pretty understanding about that sort of thing.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Tasty looking reps there SG and like you say, way quicker than your recent times.  I flat 5k race should see you get at least down about 17 I'd have thought.  How tough or otherwise was that?

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Lit - I don't think our club has mentioned the National XC relays, so don't think we are entered.  Which seems odd because they were having a bigger XC push this year and trying to get us signed up to as much as possible.  First time in a while as far as I can tell that we've actually entered the North District XC League.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reg, for a 10k peaking session, i liked either 8x1k or 5x1mile. You get into the flow quite nicely. Never attempted, or would try 3x2mile. That sounds a killer, whatever the "theorists" reckon.

CC, felt like plenty! One of those strange ones where you don't feel you're moving that quickly, but the legs don't fancy moving any faster. Breathing felt tough, but then probably entitled to at 5.20 or lower pace for that length. You sort of get away with the shorter reps doing them ferociously, but the longer the distance, clearly the less so!

Will have to try the faster parkruns. Simply the mix of flat pavement and better runners around should guarantee better than 17.20. But how much is the lotto.

Couple of those 1milers should tasty things up too.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Didn't you use to do 3x2M as a half marathon session SG? Or did you mean at 10k pace?

Very nice reps by the way!

8M for me this morning. Slow off-road fare. Was a bit chilly and the encroaching dark meant I had to get a later train. Bloody adductor was playing up again toward the end - thought I'd seen the back of that image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A tidy little session for a half marathon, that or 2x3miles. But yeah, super demanding for 10k.

You do well to run and then train in, I wouldn't fancy the transition into suddenly feeling cold after. That drop off from training heat to stop is easy to overlook.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I did 3 x 2m at 10K target pace about 10 days before my PB at Leeds.  Records show it was done at 5:08 pace.  My recollections are that it was tough.  Sessions leading up to it were 6 x 1m, 1 x 2m + 4 x 1m, and 2 x 2m + 2 x 1m.

Of course, I then did not go on to run that pace in the race.

• Tough session - mind you if you want to perform well, you need to put it in! SG - probably do about 30-35 races a year? I was supposed to be doing relays-Surrey league this Saturday, southern xc relays on the 22nd. BUT...I think Saturday may have set me back getting over this stoooopid self inflicted bum/coccyx/back injury. It was pretty sore this morning leaving the house - so much so I had to walk from Euston to work when I got to London.

I don't think my pathetic hamstrings are helping much though - these are that bad I get virtually laughed at by physios! It certainly eases when I stretch them out. So I think I will have to get the missus to put her Level 5 Sports massage Diploma to good use.

Going to miss xc on Saturday sadly. Especially as its a great location at Richmond Pk. I'll watch Chiltern league at Oxford instead with the missus and cheer on LBAC. So annoyed with myself image 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've never attempted 3 x 2 mile outside but did it 3-4 times on a treadmill before running my PB. Like Dachs, at the time I was about 5.10 miling and ended up running 5.13s I think.
  • I think I may air on the side of caution, I've only been doing 30 odd miles a week for a month so probably look at SG's 5 x 1m or 8 x 1k. I reckon that volume sits better with the sort of volumes I have been doing.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good choice Reg. Under Moraghan's training i found that the splits you could produce in those 2 peaking sessions lent themselves to a good predictor of race performance.

ps Simon, that's a lot!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is a lot! Shame about Saturday though Simon.

Luckily the trains pretty reliable SG, and is warm.  The problem is the other end walking to get my breakfast or on the odd occasion when the train is late. When it's properly cold I tend to take a nice packable top to put on.

Thought I'd need the head torch tonight, but just made it home before it got pitch black thanks to clear skies and a bright moon! Ran very easy and the leg was OK.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I've done the 8x 1k a few times.  First time I did it I remember it being an absolute beast of a session but not so much now.  I've done 2x 5x1k before as well and 8x 1k + 5x 200m.  Don't think I've ever done the rocking 3x 2 miles or 6x 1 miles (yet...).

Big one this morning for me.  We're away on holiday on Saturday so not sure what the weekend will be like in terms of opportunity to run, so long one done this morning and combined it with a session.

3 miles warm up, 60 mins build-up, 2 miles cool down.  60 mins consisted of 20 @ 6:36-6:39 pace (came out at 6:36), 20 mins @ 6:25-6:29 pace (came out at 6:30), 20 mins @ 6:16-6:21 pace (came out at 6:18).

Pretty bloody delighted with that.  14.3 miles in total @ ave. 6:50 pace, through HM in 1:28 bang on.  A couple of years back, sub 90 was a big target for me and I've just relatively casually knocked that out at 6:30am on a Wednesday morning before work. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one CC, although Jonas' style of setting minutes rather than miles plays havoc with the way i like my sessions image

Always good to look back on progressions, we do that too little i think. Probably why i'm enjoying the parkrun scene at the moment, as midway through the Moz training i'd lost sight of the fact that there are runners slower out there, and in the scheme of things don't  do too badly.

What i am getting bad at though is getting going from home early enough.... 8miler today, finished at work at 9.01....leavin g minus 1 minute to stretch shower and change, whoops image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nothing to do with Johnas anymore SG.  Seems he's not the only one that does it...image

A time machine would be handy now and again wouldn't it!?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah the classic presumption. Always goes down a treat. image

• Good run CC82, impressive. I think 30-35 races per year is probably about right. In September that was 7 individual races in 3 weeks with the Masters finals image

Bus - saw some ridgeway photos on facebook, dark blue vest - no 2xx something? Looked like near the top of the first hill?

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I could be looking at divorce if I ran 30+ races per year.

Think I've done 11 or 12 this year with another 2 or 3 to come before the end of the year which is probably my most ever.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very nice session CC! Is running 30 races all it take to get a divorce then image

That's the ones Simon - bloody awful photos (though you might blame the subject!)

Track Wednesday today. 4 x 1200m aiming at 4:15 (5k target pace). Slightly down, but close enough with 4:18, 4:15, 4:16, 4:15. Bit cold, wet and windy but otherwise OK.

• Starting to get the longish runs sorted out. Sunday was 13 @ 7:21 and today was 12.4 @ 7:19 so pace is starting to get better. Reckon when I get down to 7:15 a mile I can call on SG for the odd Sunday run so his 7:15 easy matches my 7:15 notquitealloutbutnoteasyeither.