Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Good going PMJ..

Yes as I've said the missus was a runner before me - makes things a little easier I suppose races wise. When her dad is the masters team manager - its fine (and expected) image

Bus - need to know what you look like so I can spot you Aylesbury Boxing day..hint hint!!

• Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Good going PMJ..

Yes as I've said the missus was a runner before me - makes things a little easier I suppose races wise. When her dad is the masters team manager - its fine (and expected) image

Bus - need to know what you look like so I can spot you Aylesbury Boxing day..hint hint!!

Doesn't Phil post enough pictures for that?

I have to ration my races wisely. Track tonight, maybe, my child has been stealing my sleep the last few nights so bed may be the better option. If I go I may well do my own thing, either 800's or 1k intervals.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Good training all; especially CC, you're really shifting to be running 1'28 half pace for longer than a HM and all before work. I used to think of you as my sort of level of runner and indeed in your 1'30 days you were quite a bit slower; not anymore!

Tough pyramid session for me  100,200,400,600,800,1600,800,400,200, the 100 at the start being a cock up on my part as I stopped on seeing the 0.1k rather than 0.2k for no apparent reason! Came out around 18,38,1'18, 2'03, 2'45, 5'46, and very similar all the way back. Av pace 3'27 per k which was pretty decent. Very fiddly on the Garmin that one; do most of you guys preset your programmes then? (not that I could on my level of watch). 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good session that Pete.

Personally I would never use a gps for measuring less than 1/4 miles as the accuracy is just too far out. If I use a gps I tend to do reps of the same distance - both 'cos it's easier to set the watch and because you can then get a better level of precision (assuming you are running up and down the same bit of road that is!)

• I turn off auto pause and just let the watch run and use the lap button, that way I can see the RI time. That's on the track, on the road I will set it up.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Starting to get the longish runs sorted out. Sunday was 13 @ 7:21 and today was 12.4 @ 7:19 so pace is starting to get better. Reckon when I get down to 7:15 a mile I can call on SG for the odd Sunday run so his 7:15 easy matches my 7:15 notquitealloutbutnoteasyeither.

nice one Phil, although i'd still need to slow it down by 15-20 to get to that. Probably not a bad idea!
    Dachs mentioned he was doing 7 or so for easys the other day. I'd have thought that would be an absolute given, with perhaps his easy zone maybe starting at 6.30 these days. high 7s or 8 must feel more like recovery runs, as defined by the tiny run the day after a gruelling race territory under the Moz training. It's all working for the big man though, so no need for our debate though

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Presume that was just on roads/pavements then Pete? Otherwise I don't think you actually can set the garmin up to measure it! You can't do it on distance as Bus explained, and you can't do it on time as you can't guarantee what you'd be doing them in!

Therefore, as per Reg it can only be a lap job

Tidy paces on the road either way.

Have seen some funny timings and quoting over the years. I remember Phil educating me that a mile is 4 laps and 9metres, years ago before I actually knew that. But at least that's perhaps a 2 second differential.

I know a guy, a good runner, who uses his garmin to measure track miles. He must bloody realise it's taking a reading a fair chunk short of the end of 4th lap, and is giving a completely underestimated time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

GPS on a track is even worse! At least in a straight line it'll be accurate within a few metres....

Sorry Philip - how rude of me! Very nice pair of long runs those!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Back home from Ireland where the air was clean but the narrow roads without pavements presented challenges.

Easy runs every day which for me is around 8 minute mile pace.

Had a read through of the posts since 6/10.  About the 400 marathons thing. My opinion is, the easy long run stuff is genuinely easy if doing a warm up/warm down pace.

I don't do LSR's. I do LR's at easy pace.

A runner of yesteryear who ran 60 minutes for a HM, reckoned his easy pace was 6:40's. Which sort of indicates that a lot of our long runs aren't really easy beyond the fact that we can do them without much difficulty.

Four years ago I raced well off jogging in the mid '8's and even slower. Last year I wrecked myself because I tried putting in more effort, going a minute/mile faster.

Easy now, again. To be on the safe side.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's a funny old game running and perception aint it Ric old son.

Last Saturday, with the big man Phil, feeling rubbish, I was boobing around at about 8.30 pace, breathing badly, thinking this is going to be awful.

Come parkrun time, probably averaged 5.50 or so, felt fairly comfy as 5ks go, even dare I say it quite enjoyed it!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    There's easy and there's easy. I love a good plod at 7.20-30s in a morning but sometimes ticking along at 6.30-40 feels pretty easy. Suppose a lot of variables to bear in mind though like hydration, food intake, stress from work, previous days training, elevation etc.

one thing I've found is that the day after a race I seem to be able to clip along at mid 6s no problem.

Did a session on the treadmill last night that a clubmate of mine does. He's now running mid 32s for 10k and mid 15s for 5k after being around the high 33s for the last couple of years. A lot of people turn their noses up at running on treadmills but doing sessions/hard runs on one regularly took me from 40+ for 10k to 34 and then down to 32. Also helps with fitting it in around family.

Session was 6 x 1 mile off 3 mins. First rep at 5.20, second at 5.05 then 3-6 at 4.50? (20kph). After the second rep of 20 I was ready to pack it in but found the nearer I got to the end of rep 5 I knew I'd finish it so managed to hold on. Lots of grunting and sweat flying everywhere. I've never actually ran more then 2 mins at that speed on the thing so ill take that.

Due to my shit planning I'm looking at doing another 10k at the end of Nov but will still have a run at Leeds anyway.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Was on the tarmac track around the outside of Ascot racecourse SG; I do most of my sessions on that if I don't run with my club. I just use the Autopause but have to manually look to see when I'm at the end of an interval which is hassle on short intervals especially. I also need a little stopwatch to keep recording so I can measure recoveries so a bit of a fafff. May go back to just using the furlong markers which are 201 metres apart so pretty much 200's.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

must be a way you can set that up as a session through a website and then load to your watch Pete?

Then you're just listening to the beep on your watch.

Of course, I've never done this, but i'm no techno legend!

Matt, I'm no treadmill man, in fact when I go on them very briefly at running shops I always wonder if they've set it too fast , only to be told it's an embarrassingly slow pace image
    Sound very fast paces, presume a touch easier than the track due to no air pressure etc?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've a treadmill which I haven't used for years. It was able to go at a rate I couldn't manage so pretty quick.

That's ok, but one time it developed a fault which caused the motor to cut out. However, the machine didn't just slow down gradually, it slammed on the brakes.

Not good while doing a speed session, not good at all.

Sort of dents the confidence. And the chest.

So outdoors for me. With nothing to run into.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ouch!

Pete - the 201m furlong markers will be far more accurate AND precise than the GPS. You'll also have the benefit of banking the 1m for race day image

Matt - I know what you mean about that post race speed feeling, as I used to find the same thing. Enjoy it while it lasts though - it only happens while you still have youth on your side I reckon, as I never get it anymore image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice run CC, sounds like you're in really good shape. Find a race somewhere with sensible weather.

Decent repping Bus, and good to see something other than 0.5m reps.

Nice long run double PMJ. You in marathon training again?

Tough session Pete, you're tickling all manner of speeds and distances there.

Matt you bastard, you did the same session as me but faster.

SG, supposedly easy pace starts around 6:40, but I'm quite happy to be doing 7:20-7:30ish. A lot of my easy runs I've got a rucksack on going to work or back. Anyway, the Kenyans happily do 8s sometimes, so we are probably all doing it wrong.

Track session tonight, like Matt I did 6 x 1 mile (yes I started on the right line PMJ). No 4:50s, but 5:03, 5:05, 5:06, 5:04, 5:04, 5:03 was plenty quick enough. Decent stuff.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    On the track though Dachs! Great session!

Strange one is the treadmill as I've never actually ran anywhere near a PB on one yet seem to be able to manage the reps on there. I'm 100% sure I couldn't run 4.50 mile reps on a track.,

Just trying to get my leg speed up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i think i remember Sam's chap running 2mins quicker on a treadmill than the road, so have always wondered about the transition

can't knock the ability to maintain such fast miles though Matt

I threw in a "burst" up this little bridge hill right outside my work at the end of today's 6, and it clocked 5.00 for a limited time, not quite the same thing image

Otherwise, nice little 6 done, 4 to come at lunch, then i'll decide whether tomorrow is track or rest, and thus whether saturday is parkrun or sleep in. Wycombe are up at Mansfield, and are playing rubbishly, so might be the weekend for an old fashioned big lie in in fairness. Have parkrun the last two weeks. 

Starting to have a little nose around for "proper" paid for/numbers on chest type fare coming up. Quite a few options as we enter autumn. 

• GPS inaccuracies!

I ran a track session over a number of weeks with a benchmark 20mins at each end of the course. A number of people claimed 5km PBs based on GPS distance despite not running over 12 laps. I guess that's lack of familiarity with the track though.

Off to Amsterdam tomorrow for the HM.

Solid sessions all round. I'm going to have to check out the track around Ascot; I ran through the racecourse many years ago on a marathon long run.

• My GPS watch is so insanely stingy that it actually tells me I'm running slower than I am on the track. I'm not sure how it manages it. It also reckoned I managed to run a whole marathon without going over distance at all, in 26.18 miles. Relating that to the recent discussion of time vs distance for sessions, I think that's a good reason to do some sessions by time (if you've not got access to a track and accurate distance, just do a pyramid in the relevant number of minutes/seconds - the range of efforts is what produces the training effect, not some numbers that won't be accurate anyway) and others by distance (easy runs and longer tempos where precision is less relevant; track sessions).

• literatin wrote (see)

My GPS watch is so insanely stingy that it actually tells me I'm running slower than I am on the track. I'm not sure how it manages it. It also reckoned I managed to run a whole marathon without going over distance at all, in 26.18 miles. Relating that to the recent discussion of time vs distance for sessions, I think that's a good reason to do some sessions by time (if you've not got access to a track and accurate distance, just do a pyramid in the relevant number of minutes/seconds - the range of efforts is what produces the training effect, not some numbers that won't be accurate anyway) and others by distance (easy runs and longer tempos where precision is less relevant; track sessions).

If I am travelling I would often get sessions by time, and it is good for mixed ability groups too.

One other trick for distance based reps with GPS is to mark out a distance first whilst walking. Walking is apparently more accurate in terms of GPS position.

Once the distance is marked out then just use than for your reps, assuming they are all the same distance. The distance is based on the original accuracy but each rep distance is now repeatable with the others. And like Bus says, you could mark out 405m if you are an overachiever.

Some Garmin watches can be set to take data every second rather than the default of smart-recording, which really only detects changes in direction and stitches the results together badly.

• Leslie H wrote (see)

Gul _ I guess it was a undiagnoised heart issue ,a  couple of guys in the local club died in similar circumstances image . You won't need a ballot place for London soon image

D dawg - genuine speed,I could use some of that  image

Gerard- nice 10k with company

PMJ- nice long run with a race in the middle,similar average too mine but no low 6:1x miles here.

10m after nightshift and mostly on grass for a change ,just ran along the edge of a tarmac path as much as possible average pace 7:17m/mile.Grass feels a bit harder work than tarmac for sure because as soon as I was back on the black stuff 7m/mile was much easier for the last bit.

Poacher wrote (see)

Lorenzo - don't worry about Gul, he's volunteered for the Spring Shakespeare image image

As for Manc, I have never been further west than Old Trafford on the canals. The canal route from Manc to OT is very urban but OK-ish.  Going east, there's an intriguing section beneath the city centre which comes out near Piccadilly and heads east to Ancoats, Tameside and then Saddleworth direction. Very runnable. I'd head east I think.  If you can't find the canal (cos it's underground), you can pick it just north of Piccadilly station. 

Leslie, PMJ - nice speeds

I walked down The Mall today. Very evocative even after so many years of VLM.  Can't wait.

PeteM wrote (see)
    May go back to just using the furlong markers which are 201 metres apart so pretty much 200's.

Come on, furlongs are 201.168 metres. Don't forget those last 16.8 cm, to some people it is quite importantimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Uses a lot of battery life that though.

Cracking session Dachs! Quite sobering to think you are doing mile reps 20 secs faster than my mile PB image

Work do tonight, so can't do planned double, so did 10 miles to the station instead, off-road hilly. Bloody hard work and slow, but 30 miles in 3 days including lots of hills and a track session and I guess the legs are entitled to whinge a bit!

• Personally I think GPS watches are incredibly accurate. Considering what a little watch on your wrist can do. I've run 400m reps starting and finishing from the same point and it's beeping bang on every time. Obviously it doesn't work properly on a track but then that's the one place I don't need it.

Talking of tracks, I was working late last night so missed track. I popped down the M'head cinder effort instead. I am suffering a mild cold and I had a meeting to get back to so I was mentally weak at the start.

Decided on mile reps, I figured I'd only have time for 4 so thought if I felt good I could smash it back to the office to get in the last mile. I got 3 done and then did and 800 and jogged back to the office nursing a sore calf and feeling a bit rubbish. Also lunch was threatening to make a reappearance and I think there's only room for one vomiting threadster.

First 3 miles were 5:35,5:32 & 5:42. The good thing about a crappy cinder track is you can stride out 9 metres and make a new start line for yourself image

• Seems the joggling marathon record is quite fast:

2:55:25 without dropping and 2:50:12 if you drop and pick up.

http://www.runnersworld.com/chicago-marathon/this-guy-juggled-the-entire-chicago-marathon-without-a-drop

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Standing still juggling for.nearly three hours without dropping a ball would be quite a feat in.itself!

Cracking cinder sesh Reg.....
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ah the joggling records. 3 objects.

For men there's: 400m in 55:81

5000m in 16:51

10000m in 35:38 and then the 1 mile 4 man relay in 3:57:38

These are fast times, though I hazard a guess that if tried in an actual race, there's the chance they'll be dropped. And the objects.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I refuse to believe that anyone has done a 400 in 55.81 whilst juggling.  That is ridiculous.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quite good footage of the record (unlike a previous 56sec one I found)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z48CqkmGR2Y

Keeps the throw height exceptionally low, but still counts!

Wonder how quick his pb is, got to be pushing the 50surely, as he barely looks worked out.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

fast reps by the way Reg. My only experience of that track is smashing the first 200metres as part of a summer series 5k, but I can't imagine it's especially fast for prolonged motoring round like newer, decent surface tracks.

Marlow's is nice, but I remember Watford as being particularly plush.