Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I think we all get different things from running, let alone parkruns. For me, I like them for multiple reasons including:

1. Running the same course is a good way of seeing where you are
    2. They're easy and take up little time! I can roll out of bed at 8.15, get a race/tempo in, chat to a few folks and be home for breakfast by 10
    3. There's usually a few people I know and its always good to catch up with others
    4. It's actually quite a good feeling to be in the top 3 of a "race" even when you are slightly hungover image
    5. Similarly, you meet. and chat with, lots of people you know from other walks of life and they then get a better appreciation why we run and what work it takes even to get into the top three of a local parkrun!

The run home from the station was hard tonight and I'm feeling a bit lergified. Still, steak for tea and a beer delivery today so not all bad!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Maybe parkruns fits a certain type of personality. Just not mine.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks SG, may not have known the anagram but at least knew he was a WUM????
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

On parkruns I found this bit of information:

.. Number of events: 75,265, Number of runners: 1,138,922,

I can't argue with these sort of numbers. No one can. On a pragmatic basis, parkruns have succeeded in getting more people running than at any point in history.

That's quite a calling card.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Back in the fold today and over to Woodley for a crack at Dachs' local. Quite a lonely run as stuck in 4th the whole 5k. Very little pain from my calf was the best part. Strung each k together in roughly 3'45, just a bit slower towards the end and very pleased to be back sub 19 with an 18'53. Course also a bit longer with the new start, so is a full 5k on the Garmin now!

• Odd few days to end the week. Thursday had plantar fasciitis in my right foot and could barely walk so had Thursday and Friday off. Felt better this morning so did parkrun with the intent of an easy 21. 1, 2, 3 and go! and I was off and felt easy. The local club (Wycombe Phoenix) picked today as their Christmas parkrun so the start was a mass of youngsters speeding off and away so I got into the pack and as they started to fall away as they are really 400 and 800m runners I started to pick them off and had a good line of them up to about the 3k mark. Eventually ended up with 19:35 and didn't really push it (and recently I have been doing about 19:30 full out), so an odd but pleasing outing.

• Solid parkrunning Pete and Philip.

Slightly shorter than usual LSR today with 13.1M of hills, mud and mist. Makes just over 50 for the week, giving me my first 4 week average over 50mpw since May!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete in  "Woodley was a short course" shocker image

Phil, was going to make a gag, but thought it wouldn't be too clever too, so i'll just say, nice turnout!

Bus,13 is plenty if you're doing a 50mile work. I can't remember my last over 13.
    So today was a 13, up to Beaconsfield and back, with a few random half milers down random lanes to see where they went to up the distance. 6.57 job.

One of those runs I forgot I ever worried about breathing, and an unusual slight feeling of leg tiredness.

Anyone aiming to do any parkruns sat/sun/Mon Aylesbury Boxing day 5k/sat after/new year's double?

I want to get involved.

• I'm doing Cabbage Patch four on Boxing day, then LFOTM on, well, err...Friday!

I might do a parkrun this Saturday, but need to see how the week pans out first - it's looking like a particular difficult week at work this week, so I may want the sleep more than I want to parkrun!

• SG, I'm doing Black Park / Upton Court double on New Year's day.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Woodley was NOT a short course.  If they've made it longer then it is now a long course.

• I've always measured Woodley fractionally short on the GPS, there are a few tight turns though.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Its not a lot but I've always had it 4.92-4.94 and came up 5.00 this time. Maybe I took those tight turns wider and didn't cut any cornersimage

•  

No running for a week now. Foot feels the same, I have physio tonight so I will ask her to check it out, just don't tell BUPA.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Parkruns used to be a right game of soldiers. That's why i did Dulwich years ago, as it was one of the few that was certified and on a decent surface. They even classed it as an outright "5k" for the rankings.

Then 2 weeks later, they decided to lump all parkruns into the same category, whether short, long, certified, uncertified, MT etc

Still, not as bad as the NW races scandal last year, where they ruled about 10 events were short!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Reg, hope it eases.

• Reg - Nothing at all for weeks image but back on with a run yesterday... Hope nothing serious with you

To everyone else, my 50ps worth - I know you must trust the course even if it is a free parkrun and even more so on a paid race (imo) but sometimes it's really (Embarrassingly) short, I'm guessing organizers do measure it normally several times with wheel and GPS but imo there's no excuse for not making it spot on...

Garmins are accurate to like 1% or .1m is it every mile??? So over 3.11m for 5KM you could see 3.7 to 3.14 but have ran the same route?? Maybe not ? Anyone know different??

Southampton has 4/5 different routes and I've experienced different starts or funnels on several routes and think why is it changing?? I think the shortest it's come out is 3.09m and there's alot of tree cover so I'm pretty happy.

What pisses me off is seeing every man and his dog PB at Eastleigh 10KM for example and people running close to back to back 5KM PBS and showing GPS of 9.9-9.95KM for example... Too many for it not to be accurate and I even got reminded of this someone local "complaining" he had never got close to his Eastleigh PB again this year.....

My gut feeling here but unless my watch is very close or reads the required mark I'd find it hard to accept running and showing a garmin with 50+ meters less or something.. 

Samir taught us about pavement PBs. It should only count on a track image

Oh the other thing that annoys me is XC courses that say they are X distance and have course records but then change each year.. Makes it impossible to be honest 

Just checking as I was writing...

PB - 5KM at Soton parkrun reading 3.11m

Eastleigh PB - 6.21m 

Bright 10m PB 9.98m

HM - PB 13.13m 

SHORT image 

Hope everyone else is healthy! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It kind of depends on your Garmin really.  Mine almost never measures a course as over the official distance - the only one I can remember is London, where GPS is totally thrown off by tall buildings and underpasses - and frequently measures them as less.  It also does so for measured courses on training runs.

In terms of Woodley, the reason I can be confident is that I live right next to that park, have run in it all the time for years, and know what the distances are.

Quite apart from anything else, it's not as if I have run anywhere near as fast at Woodley as I have on the track or in a proper road race.

• One of my old-school club mates still (semi-flippantly) insists that the only PBs you can really trust are on the track. But then I suppose they can make tracks a bit small as well. Hmmm... anyway, I can't remember what my Garmin said about my 32:48 at Eastleigh last year, but I went 3 seconds faster in Brighton a few months later, and previously managed 32:51 on the track, so that'll do me.  And while I was happy to call Dulwich parkrun my 5k PB for a while I've shaved a few seconds off that on a proper 5k so that's all good.  Get yourself down to Battersea Park, SG.  image

My main running goal at the moment seems to be trying to catch Simon Coombes!  I got within 13 seconds this weekend, so we should be on course for a proper ding-dong at Parly Hill next month.  image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What i'm reading from the above, is that our fast thread runners are consistently doing short courses imageimage

PP, i do/have! Dulwich and BP are my fastest 2 5ks! Will have to get back for some stuff at BP (health pending!) next year.  What'd be fun, would be putting a thread team out for that relay one too...3x1mile or something?

• Poole PR still the best one I reckon. Fast, scenic,flat as a pancake and an official 5K. Hope the foot sorts itself out Reggie.  SG - I think it's Rushmere (Leighton Buzz) PR Christmas Eve morning then Aylesbury 5K Boxing day. Then the classic New Years Day - Aylesbury/Tring with the run to Tring

So to the weekend. Work do Friday night. Only had 4 pints of bitter but ended up with a nagging headache..probably that horrendous crappy mega hoppy Camden Ale I had a pint of- £5.30 a pint!

So went to Beckenham in SE London for the South of the Thames Senior, supposedly 7.5 miles (ended up being 7.2) Pretty firm and good 2 lap course which was a nice surprise. Started off quite slow and took a while to get going. But felt better towards the end of the first lap and started to get with my normal 'gang'. So felt pretty OK by the start of the 2nd lap and started to reel PP in, which I was happy about as he is starting to go well..hoped to stay ahead of him.

Kept it quite steady through the rest of the race and picked a few others off and won my little battle of the three people I was running with. Ended up 22nd and 1st Vet 40 - got a nice shiny gold coin image. PP was only 7 seconds back, so expecting more battles to come!

Saturday night was my Luton training xmas night out, so only had 4 hours sleep - then onto the Bedford & County handicap race along the embankment. Didn't hold out much hope, but was pleased to my handicap PB of 15.35 for the 2.97 mile course, which should equate to a sub 16.10 5K.

So pleased with that. Festivities wise - Herne Hill/ Doss AC (Leeds uni) pub crawl in the city tonight, then LBAC curry night Weds night. Then rest image

• PhilPub wrote (see)

One of my old-school club mates still (semi-flippantly) insists that the only PBs you can really trust are on the track. But then I suppose they can make tracks a bit small as well. Hmmm... anyway, I can't remember what my Garmin said about my 32:48 at Eastleigh last year, but I went 3 seconds faster in Brighton a few months later, and previously managed 32:51 on the track, so that'll do me.  And while I was happy to call Dulwich parkrun my 5k PB for a while I've shaved a few seconds off that on a proper 5k so that's all good.  Get yourself down to Battersea Park, SG.  image

My main running goal at the moment seems to be trying to catch Simon Coombes!  I got within 13 seconds this weekend, so we should be on course for a proper ding-dong at Parly Hill next month.  image

Still make you favourite over PH image. Oh it was 13 secs - thought it was closer! Close enough though..

• Simon, didn't realise you had Doss connections. As founder of Alehouse I am strictly forbidden to have anything to do with anybody connected with Leeds Uni. Well done on Saturday, though. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon - good race and good vet win this weekend.

im getting back into it again. so building up my speed in sessions.  it was the last race in the XC league this weekend.  we had the unusual situation of we were either going to win team gold or get relegated (due to not fielding 6 runners).  luckily we dug a chap up at the last minute and he ran well.  So won team gold at an absolute landslide and I won v40 individual gold with 3* 1st place age group finishes.

plan is the next 3 weeks to build up mileage and quality to have a go at the county champs in jan.

• Dean - Deserved gold - great stuff. I'm sure you'll be up to speed quickly (annoyingly quicklyimage)..wondering if my 'bum injury' thing has only properly eased in the last few weeks as there's been a sudden upturn in fortunes..hmm interesting.

Alehouse - Only in as much as being a member of HHH and going on the joint pub crawl each xmas. Just off to walk down to Fleet st and pub no.1 now!

• That's alright then SC! Enjoy! Hope you are not wearing yellow!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Dean, what a strange situation though.

Simon, if I don't bottle it/remember how horrible 5k racing is on Saturday, may well see you at Aylesbury.

On another note, I see Sunday's TVXC was a shortie, just under 5miles looking at someone's trace. I might even have considered it having known that!

Glad I wasn't there though, as some cheeky chappy thought setting up a camera at the top of a hill would be a good idea image

6&4 today. Standard Monday.

• I would have been there if it wasn't for my pesky foot. It's a good job I didn't run though as my physio reckons I have a stress fracture image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good races & training all round.

Pity about the foot Reg. I was thinking about your earlier post when you mentioned the pain still there after a week. 

Did wonder if it was a break (crack in the bone) or ligament damage. Both bloody hurt. And both clearly think we have weeks to waste.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Hope it doesn't turn out too bad AG and you are back soon. No TVXC for me either as not recovered enough for that yet so missed all this season so far. Must be the 1st TVXC for a long time with no thread representation.