Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    If it counts, I helped organise much of it.

Still wasn't there on the day though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bad news Reggie, fairly unusual for a bloke to get one isn't it? A bloke who hasn't dramatically gone from jack all to loads of training, which you haven't. Hope it pans out that it's not that, or is a mild version, if there's a thing!

Fancied a pyramid sesh today, 5k of volume job.

To keep it simple, that's 200-400-600-800-1000 and down.

Thought i'd ease in rather than make it a heroic sesh, so went as below

Not furious up the scale, but still decent really, bearing in mind a 3.22 would still be a 16.50 5k (quicker than pb), and faster on way down which is always good.

• Thanks, I am hoping it's not too bad, It's been rearing it's head at the end of longer runs for a few weeks now. I think I will give it another week to improve before going through the hassle of GP then x-ray and fracture clinic etc.

My instinct is 3 weeks rest but we'll see, I have abused it a little.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If it's fully blown, you're doubling that Reg, 6-8 weeks.

There's no short cut, and you'd have to fight your inner instinct to smash on through or you'll just increase the time out. It's not one of those muscle/ache type things you have some negotiation...be careful.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

injuries like that reg can be nasty.   personally i would let it heal and if you need a fitness fix get on a bike.

• I think I'll try doing a few long off road runs to see if I can run it off first image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

look up D2D in past threads on stress fractures...see how NOT to deal with it...

• I read a couple of threads, sounds like most have it a lot worse, as you suggest it seems predominantly to be sheilas.

I think I did mine in that fall in September and it just hasn't healed properly. On that basis it's not a new SF so healing time may be different. Hopefully shorter.

I can walk ok and cycle no problem so I will continue with a full cycle/swim regime for a few weeks and then ease back in to it. Only shame is I really fancied the PR double on NYD, otherwise it's a good time to be injured.

• PeteM wrote (see)
    Must be the 1st TVXC for a long time with no thread representation.

Will be interesting to see how the TVXC plays out. First 3 matches seem to have resulted in a fair few teams with a shout (especially as Handy Cross gave two equal first). Last year Datchet started well and then fell off a cliff.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

TVXC is certainly more competitive this year.  Clubs like Finch and BFR have beefed their teams up nicely, and the traditional Datchet sausage-fest has been broken up by finding some women from somewhere.  RRR's women's team isn't what it was due to moves away and injuries, plus we are also putting a better team out in the Hampshire League (and doing much better there) at the expense of TVXC.

Bad luck with the stress fracture Red Wang.  At least you have those other sports to turn to, but frustrating nonetheless.  Fingers crossed that your recovery is in line with expectations.

I am honing in on a #1 UK ranking this year.  Only 11 more days to secure it.  Yes, it is the much sought-after top spot in the V35 2-mile charts.  The joy of niche-dom.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember the ultra cynical Datchet team talking about trying to get 2 people over the line joint 1st before.

Was it some sort of stitch up like that To take.... 1 point off the total!

• Thanks Dachs, I think I saw you running down towards the river this morning.

Our team is weak this year, our three fastest are not currently involved and we don't really have the strength in depth.

Also seems to be a general lack of numbers turning up, although we managed 20 this week.

Well done on the #1 ranking, I hope it doesn't get beaten at the V35 2 mile British Championships this weekend.

My next challenge is to decide which family essentials can be jettisoned when travelling down to the mother-in-laws to enable my bike to fit in the car. Normally I would maintain my sanity by going out running. If she's bought the children a lot of presents then they also may have to be left behind image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hello image

Reg - hope that isn't a stress fracture.  Bloody nightmare if it is.  Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Dean - well done on the gold!

I haven't been out running for a week now.  Bloody cold turned nasty last Wednesday with a really sore throat and quite a lot of coughing as well as just feeling really shit generally.  I'm going to go for a run tomorrow hopefully and see how everything feels.

I hate not running. image

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

Last year Datchet strugglled to get people turning out for some of the later races. Even I ended up scoring in the Bracknell event. It was so poor that only 2 ladies turned for the final one at TVT. This year we have some new fast runners, inparticular our new ladies superstar Jill Collett who joined in October and has been smashing club records everytime she enters a race (17:45 at Black Park parkrun isn't too shabby).  So I think there are high hopes of maintaining the standard for the whole season.

• Dachs wrote (see)

TVXC is certainly more competitive this year.  Clubs like Finch and BFR have beefed their teams up nicely, and the traditional Datchet sausage-fest has been broken up by finding some women from somewhere.  RRR's women's team isn't what it was due to moves away and injuries, plus we are also putting a better team out in the Hampshire League (and doing much better there) at the expense of TVXC.

Bad luck with the stress fracture Red Wang.  At least you have those other sports to turn to, but frustrating nonetheless.  Fingers crossed that your recovery is in line with expectations.

I am honing in on a #1 UK ranking this year.  Only 11 more days to secure it.  Yes, it is the much sought-after top spot in the V35 2-mile charts.  The joy of niche-dom.

Yep - V40 1 mile road. Bloody Whiteman...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seems to be an unfortunate coincidence that when I'm running well, all and sundry on the thread get crocked in some way.

Hill session this morning. Into the wind (cold) in full kit and trainers, found me averaging 5:50's pace with the HR only just getting to 170 bpm. The jog back down had the rate under 120 bpm so recovering fast.

The every other day running seems to suit me right now. I can go out fresh, smash it, and return fresh, knowing I won't be running again for another 48 hours.

One more speed session and I might consider a race.

Hillingdon AC has a Christmas morning 3.2 mile at 10:30. £3 for guests/outsiders.

It's on the web site. Good club house. 

I first did the race in 1987 running 18:29. Can I beat that time now? 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

3.2miles Ric? What sort of disto is that chief?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

has it changed from 2012 Ric?

https://vimeo.com/56364306

The thing that stands out to me, is how few runners even give a cursory glance at the junctions, probably presuming that it's a race, so there won't be any cars!

Is there a finish line/timing? Couldn't make either out in the clip.

Looks a good community setting though, before you roast me for my cheek imageimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, the 3.2 miles is exactly two road loops starting and finishing outside the clubhouse.

I ran in 2012 and did 18:22. 

So it's Bury Street, Breakspear Road, Ladygate Lane and Bury Street again, in an anti clockwise direction.

Phil and Dachs know most of the layout already.

There's a similar route which is a 5k. I haven't done that one.

Previous results show that '5' minute miles will win - even if the winners have had a few (drinks).

Ha. Just seen the video. Ran wearing that hat this morning. 

Look at the guy in the white shirt taking the entries in the club house. He once beat me in a half marathon.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

From memories, and what you've said of the old 5mile course, and difficulties with the main road, I suppose it's inevitable it couldn't be run on the main road!

Does this one take in any of the old 5mile course? Not knowing those roads as such.

I'm going to start with a definite parkrun this Saturday coming. Get that nailed.

Then see what I fancy/can be assed with in terms of organised races on Chrimbo day and Boxing day!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, apart from the Ladygate Lane section, the course uses the same roads as the old 5 mile.

Obviously there's a couple of major differences. First of all, there's hardly any runners on Christmas day, so holding up the traffic isn't an issue. 

That fact in itself probably accounts for the other difference.

Let us see if you can guess what that might be.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The ruddy faced guy screaming at people not to get on the road one second, and then screaming at them TO get on the road the next minute isn't needed? image

8 today, 6.43 job. Probably too fast, but just sort of comes out like that. Enjoying the sweeping plains of Slough, including such sights as the Crematorium, the Cattery, a Farm, and Slough FC. Pure glorious scenes!

Will enjoy the rest of the day sitting back recovering now.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

The weather was offering to turn a bit nasty yesterday but it looks glorious out there if a bit windy.  Looking forward to heading out for my first run since last Tuesday at lunchtime... image

Racing over the Xmas weekend sounds like a mental idea to me.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes SG. That's the guy.  He's probably dead by now.

Old geezers and high blood pressure can be a lethal combination.

I have an anecdote from the Hillingdon '5' days. (Not the deafening Rob Denmark one).

Ok. It was quite common to go and view this race since it was not often you can see runners belting along closer to 4:30 minute mile pace, let alone '5's'.

On this occasion I was asked by someone to chauffeur them around the course to 'look see', the occasion.

So, halfway and a bit was looked at, and then it was back down the course for the finish. I arrived with minutes to spare and parked up at the side of the course - as instructed - sort of.

After the race I went back to the car, only to be taken to task by some official for parking where I did. It may well have been the starter for his manner.

I was wondering how to deal with the onslaught when my passenger appeared. She said, "it's not his (me) fault, I asked him to park there".

The guy immediately went into 'sorry grovelling' mode.

What could he say? 

The passenger had just won the English National XC for the second time, and the local star. 

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

6 miler @ average 7:16/mile today.  Beautiful image

Progressed from 7:37 through to 6:39/mile - feeling great.  Time to get going again image

• ...Find a race over the xmas weekend mate!! Come on, it's the thing to do now you know! Good story Rich!

Final part of the festivities tonight with the LBAC curry night. Attempting a track session tomorrow night too. Not sure how that's going to work tbh..

SG - Need a picture of you running around the 'Office' roundabout. To prove it is in Slough.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I'll be lucky if I can fit a run in over the Xmas weekend, let alone a race, or 2, or 3...

It will probably be an easier sell having had to take 7 days off due to this cold, which coincided with a very busy weekend just past, including our eldest daughter's 4th birthday celebrations.  A Xmas Eve long run will hopefully be squeezed in...

The following line is going to be used a lot over the next couple of weeks (and months):

"But, I've got a marathon to train for..."

• Quick pop in - manic week, including having to abandon all hope of a run today. Still, probably do me some good...

Reg - hopefully a mis-diagnosis. Are you getting an x-ray? Bloody shame if it is, but at least you have the swimming and bike to focus on for a bit....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, i'd have to research where that actually is, and also the "door" in the show too.

Used to date a girl who lived within a couple of miles of here, who i probably could/should have asked. But erm, didn't.
    Her dad even kindly offered to cycle with me round the Business Estate years ago, in a bid to "Bond" and show me what was around (if i ever wanted to work round here ironically!)

Unfortunately one tiny aspect ruined the plan. I can't cycle. Never learnt.

• I would have thought it would take an adult a few minutes to learn how to ride a bike?

Bus - She was pretty confident, there was no soft tissue problems. I think I may have slightly fractured it when I tripped on a rock and twisted my ankle as it was painful but didn't swell up massively. That would have partly healed and I think I have just never let it properly heal. As a consequence my amateur opinion is that it will heal more quickly than had it been a typical overuse scenario. 

Importantly it would mean it's not something I am predisposed towards and I have been doing low mileage, barely broken 20 miles in a week recently. I am not getting an x-ray unless it doesn't improve consistently. If it doesn't then clearly I need to do more than not run and also get weight off it walking. 

X-Rays appear to be pretty hit and miss at spotting them anyway, so we're looking at a bone scan. By the time all that shite has happened it would have healed anyway.

Swim at lunch. Boring.