Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oh yes, BMC.  BMC races are generally tacked onto an existing open meeting.  The ones at Watford are generally 800s and 1500s.  As Dean says, they are high quality, though of course you can go to the exact same open meeting and take part in the non-BMC races often over the same distance.  I failed to get a spot in the BMC Grand Prix 5000 with a mid 15 a couple of years ago (although, in the event, I'm certain I wouldn't have been last).

BMC Regional events don't have those entry standards.  Closest ones are usually in London, generally Eltham, which is a pain in the arse to get to.  Did that once, and it was an hour and a half journey.  Sometimes Ealing has them, which would be better.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Once again, masses of good stuff to read through.
    ML, good on the marathon front.
    SG on mixing travelling footy watching with decent training.
    All injurees recovering.
    Dogs to be shot - I've been given a rifle.
    And the Coombe Gibbet to Overton 16 mile XC point to point!
    An old favourite of mine. And the closest I've ever come to being in fear of my life (exposure).
    Here's a picture of me at the finish.
    The reason I'm pointing at my watch is because I've just run a time I never dreamt I could do.
    You've read Matts opinion of the course.
    The game is guess my time.
    Only annoyance is that at the finish I was certain I was sub something. Only for the officials to find an additional 3 seconds.

Oh for running how I could do 20 years ago.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Knowing your road peaks (ish), i'll go in for a still ridiculous (being a lot xc) 6min miling average, plus the 3secs ;)

96:03?

In terms of getting seconds added on, seems the way doesn't it. A mix of not quite being as sharp with the start and stop versus where the line is as we'd like.

Worst hit, thinking i'd got under 40 at a10k, to come out 40.01, best, the relays the other week, getting 16secs quicker than i'd thought!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

As I was sniffing around on line to see if I could find any hints (after my guesstimate!), I found 2 things to ask Ric

1) Do you have 2 pages on PO10? One under your current club, and one under Overton?

2) Did you do the southern relays last year at Gravesend, and not mention it when we were bantering on about it recently :)

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Even at LFoM last Friday I asked the guy in front what his watch said: 21:05. I got 21:06. Official time: 21:12. Not unduly bothered as I will be running faster in the summer. I hope.

Hope the foot is good in the morning, Dean. And hope Matt is struggling to walk today. If not he didn't run hard enough.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Is that just starting a fair few rows back though Aley? The peril of non chipped events?

A couple of our relay potentials did Manchester too. I wouldn't have thought it was sensible racing 6 days later, but I've always been fairly big on recovery/soft :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

oh yeah, 10.5miler today. 6.50 average job. Off work, so it seemed too much of a faff to lie in, then do 2 singles, so combined it.

Getting fairly warm near the end. That can disappear for a few months thank you!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Having a bit of a catch up here, there's so much going on I think I have forgotten most of it.

Well done on the LFOTM runs, SG I thought you might sneak under 17 but it's certainly going to come soon enough and hopefully a PB, although that would I think remove me from the only distance I at least have parity with you on. 

Matt - Fantastic performance, bang on your prediction and if you stick with this coach chap who knows what will happen next time out.

PMJ - Sounds like a horrific incident I had to read back having assumed I was reading one of Bus' posts first time out.

Dean - Good to hear you are getting back to it.

Sounds like a fun race and solid run Matt H. 

Scott - All sounds promising your end, I look forward to some fast times in the summer.

Dachs- I saw the pictures of Woodley PR and had to admit I thought a sub 17 pacer was optimistic but I guess as you were available, no harm done. Nice to be able to rock out a sub 17 without too much bother I should imagine. Reminds me I need to get fit to pick up that age cat record before you ruin it.

As for me not much running yet, plan to head out tomorrow. Did 10 miles total last week. Jumped on the bike today and having read the Bus comment about Whiteleaf I planned a little trip out that way. Due to some navigation issues I ended up at the foot of Kop Hill so decided to do that instead. Due to mechanical failure I was stuck in the big ring all ride so it was a struggle but I managed 86th/4621 which was pretty good for not an all out effort.

I seemed somewhat adrift of the top 10 times, seems the Tour of Britain went up there in 2014. Nice to see some pretty big names on the list. Bus was fairly handily placed there too, you're better than most my club mates on these hills.

Anyway before SG gets fed up of Strava nonsense the most remarkable fact of this ride was I thought a wasp flew into my helmet after about 30 minutes. It wasn't until I was on the toilet post ride and went to sort out my helmet hair (insert jokes here) that the wasp flew out, the little bastard has been in there for 3 hours! It's not like there's much hair to relax in.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Started my watch when "go" was shouted, SG. As I said, I'm not worried. The officials do a great voluntary job. And it was a good day out! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hope the recovery steps up a gear soon Reg, although you at least enjoy the cycling a lot anyway, and unlike a lot of this thread don't see it as a necessary evil of the comeback trail! Lucky that wasp didn't strike at a bad time and send you reeling!

Aley - they certainly do, and I thought this version of the course was really nice. Probably helps that it wasn't dodgy weather like last time on the other route in fairness!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Not quite 96 minutes SG. My watch was saying 1:37.. something.
    Only two guys in my club (It used to be a big Metros day out) had broken 1:40. The fastest did a 1:34 job and then went sub 2:30 for the London marathon soon after. The other one could go sub 71 minutes for  HM, and he ran mid 96's on the course.
    I always reckoned I should have done 2:35 for a marathon. But 'should' and 'doing' are big issues in marathons.

I forgot. There's an Overton Harrier with the same name.

I must do this race again one day.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice 10 to start the day SG :-)

Ric - that is some going on that route! Presumably you were beign chased by the police though in those shorts??!!

Reg - good work on Kop Hill, and thanks! I actually went up there about an hour before the pros back in 2014. It was surreal, as there were huge crowds and I was cheered all the way to the top!

After 10,000ft of ascent in 3 days (including a big walk yesterday) my quads were feeling somewhat mashed this morning, but as it was such a beautiful start to the day and I'm in the lakes, I forced myself out the door! I did a couple of miles along the valley floor to warm up, then up over 3 peaks behind Braithwaite - bowling along topless in the sunshine, listening to the Cult,  with fells rolling along seemingly effortlessly beneath my feet. As I said to a lady fell-runner coming up Stile End as I was descending "it doesn't get any better than this"! She agreed - despite having to see my sweaty, hairy chest thundering towards her!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Maybe that's what does it for her! Your holiday runs do seem a mission to ruin yourself :)

I've been on decreasing singles this week, Sunday 13.5, n 10.5, Today 8. Comfy 7ish pace as usual, but straight off oafing around always makes it feel a little harder then when in the usual work routine. Still feels a bit like someone's poked me in the ribs a bit!

Man Utd tonight, staying overnight, sensible choice is to make tomorrow the rest day, which means Thur and Fri would be doubles. Might work ok, as i'd be done by lunchtime, and aren't due up til 2.30ish the relays for leg 7, so that's in effect 24hours rest.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Superb marathon Matt; to think my target last year was a 5 miler at sub 6 pace and you can did that comfortably for over 26! Beating Steve Way another feather in your cap.

Good runs in LFOTM from Simon (close to 16 brilliant when nearing v45) , SG (sub 17 again no doubt next 5k) and Alehouse still a very good WAVA despite not feeling great). Great training/parkun from Scott to and really pleased you're over all your troubles. Good training by Ric and impressive (but typically mad) training from Bus. Pleased you're running again too AG. Pacing a parrkun at 17 is taking the p out of us ordinary runners  Dachs :)  

Just tried my first reps session since being hit on the bike. Trusty 500's as my favourite rep distance and the plan was to do as many as possible before the first of form going, pain increasing or times creeping up too much. Started off about 1'46 and pretty much held that for 5 of them then 1'47 and 1'48 then quit. Usually do 10 of those so 7 was OK for first time back. Harder on the ribs running fast but still bearable. Didn't do parkrun at the weekend as ribs were still sore and had an eye infection but might this weekend. Any views whether a parkrun or maybe the Ealing mile would be the best first step back to racing? Would do either at whatever pace they came out without worrying much about the time.

In other news I've bought a new bike as the old MTB was a write off after the crash. Got a Trek DS3 hybrid which is pretty good for both on and off road; better for me nowadays as I was using the MTB more as a commuter bike. Wife is distinctly unimpressed that I've not hung up my pedals but have promised to try and ride mostly on trails, park-paths, canal towpaths etc.  Lucky to have WGP and Swinley both pretty much on my doorstep. Have also vowed not to road ride at rush hours as too many moronic drivers around then. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Nice 10 to start the day SG :-)

Ric - that is some going on that route! Presumably you were beign chased by the police though in those shorts??!!

Reg - good work on Kop Hill, and thanks! I actually went up there about an hour before the pros back in 2014. It was surreal, as there were huge crowds and I was cheered all the way to the top!

After 10,000ft of ascent in 3 days (including a big walk yesterday) my quads were feeling somewhat mashed this morning, but as it was such a beautiful start to the day and I'm in the lakes, I forced myself out the door! I did a couple of miles along the valley floor to warm up, then up over 3 peaks behind Braithwaite - bowling along topless in the sunshine, listening to the Cult,  with fells rolling along seemingly effortlessly beneath my feet. As I said to a lady fell-runner coming up Stile End as I was descending "it doesn't get any better than this"! She agreed - despite having to see my sweaty, hairy chest thundering towards her!

The mind boggles!

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well done Pete on getting back running. From the list of your injuries, I'm surprised how soon you've managed it.

For me I haven't been injured but something hasn't been right; and that might have been for about a decade.
    Seems I've made a belated discovery about the calcium supplements I have to take. Basically, it's don't take them before running if I want to do any good. That goes for milk as well.

A run before (taking the tablets) was a struggle to get moving at all. Every run since has been a relative breeze from the word go.

I've had two five mile runs this week. Both were conducted at an effort which could be described as just touching threshold. The results were (for me) quite something. 

Today the mile splits went 7:19 (inc 400m up hill), 7:00, 6:43, 6:39, 6:26. Felt strong and fresh.
    Last October a similar paced run over the course was an absolute gut buster. 

I'm sticking to black sugarless coffee pre run from now on. 

🙂

• Very nice running Bus! Sounds like a really good week! 10KM elevation. You should "Everest" it out now! 

SG - Just checked the score... :( 

Ric - Good run, interesting about the supplements

Pete - Good to hear you are back doing reps since the accident and I'd say that's a comparable result given you haven't had the legs firing like that for a while.  I'd go for the mile, just because you parkrun so frequently it's a change. 

Had a beast session tonight, 1KM followed by 2 sets of 5 x 400. Pleased to open on a 2:49!! Have a bit of a pile problem again developing after though, so literally ran out of my arse, stressed at work changing jobs, running hard, hot sweaty weather recently and poor diet. That or Pete jinxed me at 5:34PM :smile:

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Decent session Scott though! and Bus too, sounds promising-Welcome to the wonderful worl of Caffeine Ric..

Hard session last night, 10 x 800 - 0ne lap around the rugby pitches and halfway up the slope and back to finish. Unfortunately I was one of three doing the full session, so with the other 2 being IK and Ryan I had 75-80 secs recovery instead of 90. Kept them around 2.30, 2.31 for the last 2/3 and 2.28 for the very last one. Ruined at the end - only a very poor warm down!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    ;) pfff! call that training....i did 3miles at 8min pace yesterday.  no pain in the ankle so i will see what 5miles feels like today.  being sensible and taking time regards injuries is boring...just want to get my spikes on now!  but slowly slowly is better for long term :)
  • Good to hear it going ok Dean - early season so no worries there. Turned ankles generally heal up OK if you're sensible. Week off then a bit of jogging etc..
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear you're back running Pete and that you've not been put off cycling.

Bus - that's another great week in the fells.

Managed 6 miles yesterday, foot was fine. I feel like I am back now after a frustrating 4 months. To try and keep it sensible I have banned consecutive days running and I am only allowed in zone 2. How long can I stick to that I wonder.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Looks like injureenos are doing better, whether it be the minor irritation or the more serious. Hope both back to speed soon.

Funny week of runs for me, with mostly singles, no actual rest day, and no quality. But with the 5k race Friday, this little Manchester stop over trip midweek, and relay Saturday it's ok.

It was an 8miler pre drive up yesterday, and i intended to make today a rest day, with Thur and Fri both 6&4 jobs.

Instead, it was a nice drive back, and fancied a leg loosener, so basically moved Friday's 4 to today.

Plenty of space in between the singles on Sun - Wed, and i'll be done by 9am on Friday, with my leg on Sat not due until 2.30ish, so should be fine.

Scott - just about rescued the game with a 93rd min equaliser! My northern pal had disappeared by then! Same story this season, dominate everyone at home, miss plenty of chances and can hardly score. 7 trips, 7 goals, and 1 win only! It's not just me, they've drawn another 3-4 too!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG you should check when I'm going (1 visit, 1 win 4 goals) or even better my daughter, she's been to 2 games (v Feyenoord and Reading) which produced 2 wins and 8 goals :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a great record there Pete, but I suppose it turned getting my first season ticket the year Moysie arrived! He lost 7 league games at OT and didn't even last the whole season. I must have been there at 4-5 of them
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I would quite happily sit through all those losses with a big smile on my face ;)
  • Bunch of glory hunters!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Reg's team have seen much glory for a couple of decades if i'm reading him right...
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dean and Reg - sounds promising, so fingers crossed....

Nice wee fell race for me tonight. Wasn't expecting much, as I've a lot of climbing in my legs this week and the Mrs chose an easy walk today beforehand that turned out to be anything but!!! Hey ho, it's all good fun....

7pm start saw me arriving at Whinlatter car park around 6 for a much needed warm up of a couple of miles. The race itself set off spot on 7 with a record field - though I've no idea how many that was yet! The first 100m was downhill, just to make sure we set off too fast, then the climbing starts. Relentlessly! 1500ft to the top of Grisedale Pike in just 1.3M at a pretty consistent gradient! 15 min mile in a race anyone?! The fast start took its toll on me, but I gradually worked my way through the field to be 9th at the top - generally by walking slightly less than others! As usual my poor descending cost me, but still reasonably happy with how I did. The descent was bloody painful though - same route as the climb, and about half mile before the end I was overtaken by the first lady - who was laughing (I was trying not to puke at the time!). I couldn't claw her back, but managed to hold off another guy, who I thought would put me into 21st. Not easy doing maths when descending a mountain as fast as my stumpy little legs will carry me, so pleased to find I ended up 18th overall in 30:32 (provisional...). The record is 26 mins for the 2.6M, so that seems OK to me.

Big walk tomorrow - Scafell Pike with my son. Hoping to squeeze in an easy run first if I can get up early enough.
  • Stevie G said:
    I don't think Reg's team have seen much glory for a couple of decades if i'm reading him right...

Apologies if so - seemed like half the folk on here support Man U! Great last 5 mins for us last night, equalising at Liverpool and Spurs beating Swansea.

Good going Bus - sounded interesting. Enjoy Scafell Pike, walked up there in 2003, loved it. Although the coming down was painful..thank god the little café at Seatoller was still open when we got back!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    yep, great draw for your boys, and still gives us just that tiny tantalising sight of the top 4
    Nice 6 this morning, and feel uplifted at work. A few days off certainly does refresh things, as i was getting sick of it all i'll admit.  Having said that, when the running goes well it all seems to.