Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's at least 2 races before this one, so plenty to worry about before all that :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You doing Marlow 5 SG?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Where is everyone today?

Easy run to station this morning - bloody freezing! Same home tonight, but with added rain! Legs feeling a bit heavy so will F-off tomorrow....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It'd be a strange coincidence if I was doing a different 5miler the week before Staines ;)

That's going to be a right club faceoff. I should have bottled it and entered as Team MTSG instead :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just checking :-)

I was a bit apprehensive about the run home tonight, in case it proved too much, but it was fine (pains elsewhere, but not the ITB/Knee one!!!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Get it fixed son. Or you know what happens. Ric has a word ;) Sounds half ok, half dodgy, I never like to see the word pain. Unless you mean "discomfort" which i'd categorise differently!

SUN OFF this week, meaning it all squeezes up a day. So track tomorrow, it's the 8x600 at 3k variant! Legs feel a leeeetle tired, but it's gotta be tomorrow, as Sat becomes the 13!

Come to think of it, any of you groovers around to share the Saturday run? Doesn't have to be too early at all.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit like Bus at the minute. Had a sore toe for the best part of 2 weeks now. Not a clue how its come about. At first I thought it might have been an ingrowing toe nail but it appears not. Eases over night until I run again and the it aches a bit. 

Couple of tough sessions so far this week. Tues was 6 x 3 minute hill reps then 6 x 20 sec sprints which left my quads feeling like bricks. Easy 12 yesterday and then a session I didn't like the look of. 10x 600 off 60, 3 mins rest then 10 x 300. 
    All the 600s were 1.50/51 and the 300s were 50s with a 49 to finish. 
    Bloody hard work and it wasn't til after that I realised it was 9k of volume at sub 15.30 5k pace. (I think) 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Jeez - that sounds like a bastard of a session! I'm surprised it's just your toe hurting! You're not doing Y3P are you Matt?

Yeah, more discomfort than actual pain SG. Such things are almost a constant state of affairs with age to some degree - knowing when the discomfort that will either not get worse or will shift compared to a proper injury that will get worse and stop you running is the trick!

Tough session before the LSR that. Can't do Saturday for a long one - shame!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    No 3 peaks for me Bus. I usually have a drive over to watch it but I can't make that either. Always good to watch parts of it. 
  • ML84 - Nice session mate. I watched the Manchester marathon highlights Weds night on Bike Channel and saw a few of your mob on there, couldn't spot you though. Not bad coverage actually, loads of interviews with the top guys and a funny one with Steve Way mid race!

Half day off yesterday so went over the road to do a 12 x 200 session, just  45 secs jog inbetween thing, not too scientific. Generally did 31's, hard to judge as there are no markings on the track, just tarmac. Dog free for a bloody change too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good paces from the likely lads as usual. And as always it's the repeated ability to hold those paces that stands out, as i'd be able to do a few ;)

Having watched City v United last night, I struggled to sleep for ages, with the stress and adrenaline of it all, so can't say i was gagging for today's session!
    However, the best way i find is to just tell yourself that you'll run it, "as it comes".

With this plan, you have 3 sessions at 4 different intensity zones, and the distance increases over the 3. Therefore, as session 2 in the 3k zone, we we were up to 8x600s. Again i used the lower of the allowed recoveries, of 90secs.

I was obviously inspired by Matt's paces, as i set off "keen", reps starting at (ie not rounded etc, although i did notice that the 1.54 was very slightly into the 54s)

That's actually an average in the 1.52s
    The 3k zone technically comes out 1.15 a lap, so a 600 would come out around mid 1.52s.
    Therefore, despite turning up feeling knackered and knowing it'd be hard work, the average makes it bang on!

It's hard to describe the feeling of adrenaline/stressy nervous excitement during this session. Very odd, but it feels like it's going well.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Seriously SG? Stress and adrenaline, just watching a silly game of football?

I've kind of lost interest in football these days. Some nice sessions going on though.

An easy 6 miles for me this morning, second easy run of the week. 24 last week and 12 so far this week. So I am starting to get back into it. Trouble is my foot is niggling a little.

Half tempted to do a PR tomorrow but I know it's a bad idea so I will have a few beers tonight to make sure I don't feel up for it :)

Would be nice to know where I am though, I'd hope I can still get in the 17:xx range but who knows, it's my first period away from running since I got back into it properly.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I find the obsession with football a bit of a puzzle myself. Whatever grabs I guess.

Five mile run early on today.
    The moment I set off I felt this could be a good one. Over the standard course of mine, the splits went 7:25, 7:01, 6:48, 6:46 & 6:26.

This wasn't at easy or even steady effort. Technically speaking, the effort was at threshold level.
    Takes a bit to ensure it doesn't get too far into the zone. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Agree re football! Shame we are in such a minority. Having witnessed the behaviour and attitude of hundreds of Chelsea fans getting on the train last week at Marylebone I can only question why anyone would want to associate themselves with such people.

Anyhoo, parkrun today. First one for a long time and good conditions this morning - cold and still. lead for the first two miles and felt like I was having a cracking run. I was overtaken shortly after the steps, then a young lad cruised past both of us in the last half mile, looking like he had another gear left, to finish in 3rd. Slightly disappointed with the time - 18:28 - as I was lulled into a sense of it being faster by the Garmin, which recorded 5:47, 5:57, 5:47 for the mile splits.  Still OK though, given recent events, and sets down a nice marker if spring/summer ever happens!

Nice chat with Philip on the warm down too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Running is a great way to avoid the injury risk football guarantees, especially when you get past your youthful "invincible" mindset. But watching the two will never be anywhere near a decision for me. A moderate interest for the Olympics, and a bit of a watch for "the" marathon, like a lot of the country, but pretty much forgotten about the rest of the time.

Running to do, footy to watch all the way for me. Each to their own though!

Classic Bus progression. Worried about injuries one day, racing a couple of days later ;) BP is the one for the 5k. They all start June 5th on. Looks like there are 3 weeks in a row, and quite a few after that.

Ric, if you're racing Staines, i'd say it's absolutely guaranteed you'll be in the prize mix with that form. (see how you like some pressure ;) )

13 for me today. Always feels a bit tougher on a Saturday. Must simply be as there's no firm start time, and a lay in comes first.

Threw in Marlow hill in the 2nd mile which felt particularly sluggish, and eventually did a route not a million miles off the Old Wycombe half route, but with a couple of variations. 1:28 job, but got home and enjoyed a nice lie down and refuel for a bit!

That's me done til Monday! Glorious!

• Just dropping in, long time lurker. Post on Scott's thread and P+D normally

I was the 'young lad' who came past towards the end Bus, on the comeback from injury so took it steady to begin and after gaining time on the steps thought I may as well pick it up and see if I could get the win. Mile splits told it all 6:04, 6:04, 5:26 and 4:44 for the last bit. Nice PR's from Phil/Bus and long run from SG!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Scott.

I see on PO10 you have a real mix of south coast and Wycombe parkruns mixed in!

Whar's your set up? Family this way? And moved to the south coast? Something like that?

• Scott, I saw those splits on Strava and nice step up for the third mile. 

Brief pop in for me. Was in Austin, Texas last week where it was 32 degrees and got back top the UK yesterday. Felt a bit sluggish today but picked up when the parkrun started but that only lasted for about 400m before the body said "stop being a silly bugger" so it became a tempo and picked off a few at the end.

Back to the US on Tuesday, up to New Hampshire where it is a lot cooler, only just above freezing at night.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's a demanding schedule. How come there's 2 trips to the US so close?!

• Stevie G said:

That's a demanding schedule. How come there's 2 trips to the US so close?!

Booked one first and it is cheaper to book a second than it is to muck about with the first. Also, it is actually sometimes easier to fly via London rather than muck about with internal flights in the US. Austin to New Hampshire is 3 flights adding up to over 5 hours plus 2 layovers of over 2 hours each so about 10 hours total.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Probably best to have a few days at home as well I dare say!

Looking forward to a sleep I must say, albeit only to the same time i'd ever sleep to on a Sunday 6am!

The problem with a long run on a weekend you have no other plans on, is you can very easily fester in sluggishness the rest of it!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Welcome Scott - glad I didn't say anything  mean about you then :smile:

That last 1.1 reflects what I thought at the time - you looked very comfortable given the pace! Oh, and you look pretty young compared to me and Philip !

Nice LSR again SG....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    So Bus, you fooled us all.
    After all that has been claimed, you go off and do a parkrun. 

And to think there's many people around here carrying and trying to deal with genuine injuries.

************deleted.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Good comeback parkrun Bus; low 18's on that course after injury is a good sign for sub 18 at BP. Welcome to the thread Scott P and nice that Bus was polite about you! Good 1st place and also decent run by Philip given all your travel. Usual high standard training by SG and Ric and good to see AG's comeback continuing. 

Onto me and this weekend was the 1st Sat/Sun double for a long time. Upton Court parkrun yesterday as fancied a fast course for a change and 18'48 for 4th was almost back to usual level. Today was onto Richmond Half and first go at this distance for well over a year. Wanted to try and keep sub 4 k's for as long as possible but by about 10k the body was crying enough for that pace. Lots of competiton around but holding my place more or less as we dealt with some tricky cobbles and Thames crossings. Accepted the pace increase to about 4'10's and through 10 mile marker in sub 65 (apologies for quick move back to imperial measures). Last 5k was very hard though as lack of stamina took its toll and took almost 21 mins for me to finish in 1'25'47. 2 mins or so off my best but ok given recent setbacks and consistent with Maidenhead 10. Looked at the results and see I beat all the ladies but only 9th v50. These London clubs have some seriously good older runners. Race was won in 1'11 so the likes of Dachs, Matt and Simon could probably have won it!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers Pete. Cracking weekend double there too! I love the way you move seamlessly between metric and imperial measures as only someone of our age group can do :-). I'd say that yesterday's parkrun must have cost a bit of time in today's half, but as this is you we're talking about I wanted bet on it!

Ric - not sure how to interpret that post? Given my knee problem stopped me running because of the pain I'd class it as a genuine injury - not a broken leg or a torn tendon granted. I hate this phrase, but  "it is what it is" - a week of rest and sensible treatment seems to have sorted it out (fingers crossed). After four days running in a row ending with a double on Thursday I was 99% certain the issue was resolved, so I knew a parkrun was on the cards (even if not so convinced about downhills).  It's not entirely unusual for minor injuries to be somewhat transient - doesn't make them any less genuine though or the pain they give any less real. 

More of a tester was today's run. I didn't intend to do more than 10, but felt OK so cracked on and ended up on 13.5, mixing in a few hills. Absolutely no pain in the knee, but disappointingly the old, old adductor thing in the left leg was sore in the last mile. It did the same thing after I had best part of 4 weeks off from the hip thing earlier this year, so hoping it's just protesting - maybe it's not even real ;-)

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Hahaha. I love this thread. 

Good park running Bus, Phil and Scott. Nice progression on your win too Scott. 

Well done on the half Pete, and especially after a 5k blast the day before! 

Two sessions for me yesterday. First one was 11 miles steady which was low 6 min miling but with a minute effort in each of the last 5 miles. Ended up averaging 5.59 pace for the run and felt decent. 
    Second session was 10 hours drinking which I found a bit tougher, well It certainly made this mornings 15 mile a bit of a trudge. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Ric, Bus said it himself once, if he waited until being 100%, he might wait forever. And i'm sure Bus won't mind me saying it like this, but he's not a 20s guy with a huge set of pbs available in the future, that he's risking ruining by running through niggles, he's seizing what's available day by day.

I've been of the "wait til it's great" school and you can find 6months, a year etc can slip by and you've not turned out.

So there's probably some happy medium in there somewhere!

Pete, well done mate,  a half marathon ticked off very nicely, and not too long since you didn't know when you could run again! I make that worthy of a celebration! Sounds like you've very much back in the game and will soon fine tune the times down a little. I can't recall if you were 100% in for Staines or were saying where you would normally come if fit, but be good to see you there if so. Think Ric is involved too, so a mini thread meet

Trip to Manc and back today, so a SUN OFF. First time I haven't broken the trip up with a stay somewhere for a while, but 12pm kick offs are great for up and backs, as you haven't any pre-activity to knacker you!

Am resisting any silly ideas of even looking at races tomorrow, even though it's probably the best choice of races any day of the year!
    So if anyone local is running, I could be up for a join up.

Otherwise i'll sleep in and probably just comb a 6 miler out, as part of a moderate pre 5mile race taper.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Matt, love that 6min miling isn't considered effort :)
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks SG and agree with you that it's great Bus keeping running well through adversity. Still find it a bit painful running myself due to my rib pain but not running at all would be worse (though can appreciate Ric thinking you won't be for long pal if you ignore injury!). Anyway yes I'm entered for Staines and hope to be there and finally meet up. Need time off next weekend to recover from today first though. 

Another crappy draw for the Reds eh SG; when will we learn how to put the easy sides away.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I've been up 9 times this season, and seen 2 wins! That is insane at Old Trafford, as that includes no wins against the likes of Hull, Stoke and Swansea today!

However, all is forgiven if we can win the Europa. Got to be in that champions league! And next season, once I've got a lot more races under my belt, I hope to be able to combine some races with the trips up.