Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I agree Pete, you can cut yourself some slack there. Good luck with the dog turd dodging Ric.

Love the photo Bus, a classic bit of photo vomming.

Bit of a barometer session for me today. Race distance bike followed by a 4 mile run. That's 56 miles on the bike and all done in the easy zone. It came out bang on 20 mph on the road bike so I am pretty please with that. Took a little while to loosen the legs up for the running bit but came out at 7:20 although the HR was rising to the top of the easy zone so still some work to do on the running front.

Foot a bit sore but it seems to vary its mood more than my wife.
  • Have a good run at Marlow Bus, SG and anyone else I've missed  :)

Rather you than me doing back to back sessions Ric

Nice parkrun Pete!

Yes I think we ran in a few races last year at Watford and Winchester Open Dachs

Big ride that Reg, do you tend to ride to heart rate?

Session this morning was 7min tempo (2), then 2 sets of 4min(90), 4 x 75(60) with 90 between sets and 10 x 30(45) to finish. Really struggled but everything was still mid 5min mile pace so actually not all bad. Only 30mins tomorrow in an attempt to get some zip back in the legs

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Bus, is that the trademark retch?!
  • Good pic Bus! Nice bit of errort there. Forgot to say that the Marlow race this morning is a bit of a training group trip, Chris (LBAC), Ryan and Tom (Luton) all doing it. If a guy wearing a cap backwards wins it, that's Ryan. 

So the 3,000 yesterday. Reigned myself in Friday night at the LBAC awards night, only the 4 pints with dinner! Very different feel to weds night, turned warm in the warm up, pretty breezy and I'm not feeling too great, visited the bogs twice at the track and warming up my legs didn't feel that great. 

Anyway, good names lining up, Andy Maud doing non scoring too. Thought I'd keep to 72's for as long as possible, started coming off that on 4 laps and reached 5 laps on 6.03 and starting to feel really tired. The guy i know from Bournemouth AC came past me with 600 to go and I reached the bell on 7.53 I think. Last 200m was like running in glue and I staggered over the line in 9.11. I suppose not feeling great I was only 5/6 seconds slower than I was aiming for. Next time I think no beer the night before either!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just a quick check in, as our internet is broken,leaving only a dodgy phone hotspot!

Marlow 5 today. Warm up and chat with SG, then into the race. Good conditions, though it seemed breezy in parts. First two miles were fine - 5:39, 5:50. Mile 3 is a tricky one as it has a slight incline in the second half, leading into mile 4. After 0.25M of mile 4, I'm on 6:25 pace becuase of it! Anyway, knuckle down and get to the 4 mile marker in 23 mins - I think the marker was short! Either way, looks like a good time coming up - if that could be believed (whihc it can't) even a sub 29. Alas, usually story - 20m later and after seeing Philip's smiling face for the 4th time, I started retching (unconnected!) - it almost brought me to a halt. Holding it back and trying to maintain some semblance of pace was very difficult, and I started being overtaken by all and sundry. Anyway, into the park thinking I'd blown it, I can see the clock ticking down - 29:41 with around 100m to go, but I can't speed up! Held on as best I could and just crept inside 30 in 29:57! OK, but slightly disappointed given I did 29:4x in Fleet half, but better than last year I suppose! 

Chat with SG and his Dasher's crew after then home. Looking forward to SG's report now!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sorry, missed those posts - internet issue I think! Yes, thanks and definitely Stevie - same again after the finish line today, but no camerman on hand this time! That one was the winner being interviewed on Bucks TV, with SG in the frame as well!
  • Watched a film about tough mudder on the aeroplane recently. In the US, more people run these races than half or full marathons. Apparently, it is all about social media and weekend warriors. Run a £25 half marathon and you can buy a photo for £15, run a £99 tough mudder and you get the photos for free! Run Marlow 5, and the great Barry Cornelius does it for nothing http://www.oxonraces.com/photos/2017-05-07-marlow

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey - that was uploaded quickly! Bad as I look in that photo, it doesn't quite capture the effort being involved in stopping myself vomiting at that point!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Actually - that was only after 1.2M! Looks like the wall near the end....
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, quite a block of training there. Best I managed in the same vein was 32 miles flat out on the bike (av 21mph plus) followed by a 27:40 five mile race. So long ago, it might as well be someone else.
    As for the session. I didn't bother with the track after all. Since I had the streets to myself, I did the session there. Didn't need to make way for traffic once.
    2 mile w/u, 30 x 200m, 2 mile w/d. All done by around 7:00am.
    Later was roped into a bike ride.

Still an ok result Bus. You must be keen on racing. If vomiting was a side effect in my efforts, it'd have been three strikes and out!

Tough mudders!
    I did something like this by accident a couple of years back.
    Something to do with a change of venue by the organisers. After the ordeal, My legs felt full of running. Once I'd got home, they spent the next four days as if full of lead.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just tried to post a photo - think it was too large, so will do it tomorrow when I'm at a proper computer!

Thanks Ric - I think we tend to forget the down side of racing in between! For some reason Marlow often seems to induce extreme retching, even by my standards. Good pre-breakfast session that by the way!

Reg - missed the bike ride on here earlier, but saw it on Strava. Impressive stuff!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Had a read about those symptoms Bus. Seems the solution is either to drink more, or not eat so close to a race.
    I don't eat within five hours of a race. Drink loads until two hours before the start.
    Those things mean I'll be as good as can be on the day.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, it's been a lonnnnng day, but back from the footy now a damp squid of a game sandwiched between 2 more important semi finals, so let's rustle a report up!

Finally found where the results are too, after presuming they'd be on the sports systems site!

Give me 10

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I was going to say something similar. Perhaps SG means he wants to us to give him 10 out of 10 for his race performance today. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Remember SG's rule that the race report has to take longer to read than it took him to do the race and you can understand the delay☺
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Marlow 5, then. Signed up for it weeks ago, as it's a local hub race, flattish route, and a bit of a must do locally, being 5miles from home, and in the town of my old running club.

The nearer the day came, the more I realised it was a fairly significant race, as arguably my first race in 22 months putting it on the line against peers and rivals. I'd had the tonne of parkruns, the "miles away" 5miler with Bus/Phil and Gaz, some relays and a 5k in London, but this would be the first old school local face off, a Datchet club event as well.

Have been doing some good reps, albeit it 5k related stuff, but was slightly bothered by this stitchy rib ache. I fear it's a little bit of inflammation that seemed next to impossible to lose 2 years ago, but hope it's just some tightness!

Knew i'd race through it ok, just needed to absorb a little discomfort.

Got there massively early, parked and wandered to fetch the race pack. Then found Bus, a fellow thrifty guy (tightwad) also making use of our "special free parking road". Thought it was a younger guy at first as he looked In real trim shape.

Went and did the same steps, Bus got his gear and we shared a little jog, and trying to work the chip. The first time I've seen one like this in at least 2 years +

5mins before the start I see a tonneload of Datchet faces, my old pal Simon Sikora from Marlow and a few others. Nerves are high, a good sign, probably.

I notice our top boy James is hanging 3 rows back. He's clocked that there look to be some tidy AC type boys at the front. I follow his lead, and slightly nervously notice that Wycombe Phoenix seem to have 5 guys very far forward. Vaguely recognise a couple as having decent pedigree, but not sure for certain. Either way the "Likely" team prize looks more like a "have to work very hard for it" job.

Once a few clowns in strange super hero costumes have disappeared to the mid pack, I notice a guy with headphones in. Come on son!

We're off, and it looks a little bit of a bungle job as I swear the front row are off just before the "go". Doesn't matter though, we're off.

Out of the park, "who's idea was this" floating in my head already. Up the high street, doesn't feel too silly, but then first mile always doesn't here, despite the light incline.

Sikora's in and around. Used to always beat him, then he became a monster locally, especially in mad offroad stuff. But how are things these years on? We'll find out!

I'm thinking I spoke too soon about headphones Malone, as he's bloody ahead of me! Thicker set than your average runner, and older too. He's going well, I'm going alright, 5.25 first mile, not too mad for once here.

Decent temperature, but am working decently to sweat already. 5miles is a lovely distance, couple of miles to get set, then you're suddenly half way, 3miles then almost home lovely!

Today feels longer. This course always seems to have the splits a bit messed up, so mile 2 beeps before the marker. Re take it 5 seconds on. Goodness knows what it ended as , and no distinct target today. Just "whatever is available".

Going well as 2nd Dasher so far. James ahead, David Lee isn't here, Rob's a little injured but still turned out yesterday, and today, but clearly he'll be "tempo-ing" today. So it depends what a couple of the younger lads have. One I notice had a mid 16 5k years ago, so some pedigree.

Either way, the fear of not getting into the top 4 for a team should be safe, it's just a case of how Phoenix are doing.

Mile 3 is a tough part of the course, on your mind as opposed to being particularly demanding on the body. Through a part of the office courts, and then a windy (whine-deee), and windy (win-dee) road culminating in a small climb up over a little section opposite the fire station.

I've probably seen Phil pop up twice by now, and had followed his tip to stay with the group I was in. It's broken up a bit now. Sikora is behind, the other Datchet lads too, headphones boy long taken over, and just need to use a couple in front to see the last 2 miles out.

Nice little down takes us up to about 3.4miles, and we're closing in on that run in now. The mile markers must have been put out by kids or something, as I clock the 4mile marker, and take the split, and it gives me a ludicrous 4.45 slit. Check the watch and it's only 3.92miles - the dozy twonkers!

Phil was somewhere down this road, but I couldn't even pretend to take in what he shouted at this stage. Glad I wasn't doing a half marathon today! Think i'll stick to the shorter stuff!

Round the corner, legitimately past 4miles now, see some of the people who must be around 2.3miles or so, coming opposite. Get a shout from a girl I used to work with! 

From here I know nothing silly is needed, just stick close to the guy in front, consistent pace, and someone will need to be piling in sub 5.30 pace to overtake from here.

I've missed this adrenaline from local rivals behind just behind feeling! Horrible, but great!

Round a bend, up a road, round another bend, where is that DAMN park. Always seems to take a year to get to!

Out in the street, it's the park! Yes!

Into the park, not very far at all off the guy in front, but not confident or having enough to risk a late sprint, I ignore a guy shouting "sprint for top 10", to erm, come 11th.

Over the line, sweet relief. Done it.

Stats

11th place (1,000+ finishers),
    28:08
    2nd best in my 9 (!) Marlow 5s
    4th best overall out of 18 now.

Felt a bit harder work than the autumn 5miles (28.14), but arguably a slightly  tougher course.
    Pleased with that though. 24secs off the all time pb, but that was a fairly strong period in my running. If I can shift this rib thing who knows, but for now it's decent.

As for the team element, I thought Wycombe Phoenix had about 3 ahead of me, if not 4 quite early on, but they must have filtered out, as they ended with 2 very fast guys, while we had 5th place.

Then we had me in 11th, but then our greater depth showed, and we comfortably had more in before their 3rd and 4th. Fairly close, but we did it.

looking down the finishers list, pleased to beat the boy Sikora (although I note he was naughtily running under someone else's name. Will from Wycombe Phoenix, i'm sure he once did my pb for 10k on the hilly Wycombe 10k and a Maidenhead guy I couldn't be confident I ever beat back in the day. That and coming home 2nd Datchet guy in our 4, leading to the below :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice run and good report SG. Normally 3 hours before race for breakfast Ric for me, though a shit day and poor sleep pushed that down to a smaller breakfast and 2 hours, but I get the same result at races with no breakfast. Certainly ain't gonna start having it at 4.30 for a 9.30 race!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

3hours before a race for me too. Gets you feeling a little hungry before hand, but typically leaves no chance of...well, leaving anything on the course!
    For the relays I had to be flexi on this, but for a race 5miles away, it was back to the classic routine.

I'd probably go for a run/strides the day before though rather than rest day the day before though. Or at least not loaf around until 3pm this time!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done SG, and team. And Bus.
    Whilst not a PB that must be close to your highest WAVA over 5 miles, SG. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Been a short while since my last post, but been reading regularly!

Good to see some good sessions (although I shudder at 3 200m sessions within a week, RicF!) and times, and well done to those who took part in the Marlow 5 today, great reports from SG and Bus.

I've had about 4 weeks off running following the Combe Gibbet, something wasn't quite right with my right calf/ankle - had a physio session mid week, and a tester run today seems to suggest the thumbs worked some magic!
    It's a shame to lose most of the progress from the beginning of the year, but the lay-off was almost convenient - as I've had my dissertation to work on.

Here's hoping I can build back up over this month for a 10km on June 4th. Due to a change in circumstance, track 10,000m doesn't look to be on the cards for me, so probably find a local road 10km/5mi for the end of June or beginning of July.

Keep up the good work people!
  • Few oddities at Marlow 5. As SG says, Will Langley was well down and he was carrying timber. Has a 5k PB of 15:46 and  26:36 for 5 miles at Marlow, yesterday 29:15 so almost 3 minutes down. Incredibly gifted runner but no adherence to training: runs off natural ability and fitness from football. Now married and too much beer. 

Guy in 8th overall, no club and 27L42. Name like Nick Wojek means you can google him and his profile is empty for the last few years but has history is 27.xx 5 miles.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    No problem with sessions of 200m Matt. It's a question of how you run them, and what energy system is being worked on.
    In my case, the session is aimed at the top end of the aerobic zone. It's right on the threshold limit but less damaging than just a hard continuous run which; less face it, at slower than race speed is of limited benefit.
    My 200's are faster. But not sprints. I look at it as speed endurance. The running part is fast enough, the endurance bit, is how many can be done before I get the feeling of tailing off. When that happens, I stop.

Despite yesterdays 30 x 200m, today I was in shape to do the session again. So I didn't. I went for an easy jog instead. 

On the subject of sessions. Scott, I noted that your session was made up of everything going. Easy recovery apart, I wouldn't mix up energy systems in any one session.

SG. Another decent race fielded, and a nice team result too. Well done.

🙂

• Good work Ric - get on the 30 x 200 train!! Good session.

11 very warm miles yesterday after the 3000 Saturday...went after going swimming with the kid - never a good idea. Pretty tough.

Long 6 mile commute run this morning, worrying bit of inside ankle tendonitis pain there - presume from start of track season and 2 3k's in a few days, should settle down.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Marlow 5 made it onto PO10! After all these years! Yes! Bus, is that your continual harping on at the organiser?
    Looking at my record, I haven't done a 10k for 3 years, and haven't done a 10miler for 5years! Cripes!

Suddenly loving the 200s Ric? I do love them too. Though when you're doing them they feel hard, but always doable to hold on for so short a rep.

A guy in his 50s at my club likes to wind me up about his training. Reckoned he was did 12x200 in 31/32s off 30secs! I said i do 10 slower, and im around 17, so he's got a potential decent mid 16s surely. But he was windng me up...split them out a fair bit more i think.
    Otherwise 31/32s off 30secs is severe!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nice turn out at Marlow SG/Bus.

Solid couple of track openers there SC.

200's seem to get a lot of airtime on here! Are these recoveries standing about or little jogs?

I woke up at 5:15 this morning so went for an easy jog. Well I say easy, I was half asleep if truth be told, it was lovely and quiet though, I saw more fisherman than anything else. They are a strange breed.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yep, complete whackos. Don't you reckon Ric? ;)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Don't make the bait too obvious SG.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    don't cue up the old men of the forum for some tedious punnery please!