Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah agree. A fair bit more reasonable than the time chingo said any bloke should be able to do 32 for 10k !

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I ran 2 miles to a park this morning, ran a session covering nearly four miles, and then carried on until I had notched up 10 miles. It was easy.
    Even in the heat I had both the legs and the lungs. However, later inspection of the Garmin indicated I had next to zero speed, despite the illusion of flying.
    Yes, flying. About as well as our local crow who lost a good number of flight feathers defending his territory. Spent a few days walking about and climbing until they grew back.
    Ok now. He sits on my shed roof with his missus waiting to be fed something better than bread.

🙂

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SP- really not sure how tomorrow will go, due to the slightly longer distance, would be happier over 5k. Probably just try and get under 33, 16.25 ish at halfway will be OK.

Down with the folks in Poole, thunderstorms woke me up most of early Saturday, finally got to sleep again at 3, before woken at 4 by one of the loudest rouge thunderclaps I've ever heard, bizarre alarm call for a whole town..judging by the amount of people it woke up!!

Edit. Just a shout out for the southern types or if anyone fancies a longer distance parkrun, the Moors Valley one is great. Was over there yesterday helping to my kid to 35.11, so getting a bit better now, he's 7 today. It's just past Ringwood, one lap, pretty flat on trails and then last K on tarmac. Great facilities and park for the kids after. 

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think that guy is probably right about sub 20 being not much more than a starting point fpr young athletes but its very different for people who take up the sport in their 40's and 50's and the WAVA scale proves that. 

Impressive swim Reg; can't even contemplate swimming further than a parkrun!

Bus and Philip I think you both did ok with the humid conditions yesterday in your area. I heard Maidenhead was equally humid but where I went (Winchester on route to the cricket at the Rose Bowl) conditions were perfect; cool with a nice breeze. Ran 18'29 for 4th which was very pleasing as all on grass and only 6 seconds off Fulham Palace time.

Undid all the good work with too many beers at the cricket but at least it was a great match and a nice change. The 8 miles I've just completed back to Woking station to get my car back were hard work though
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yet another thing that gets more difficult with age Pete - recovering from too many beers! Good work on the parkrun.

Agree re the swim reg - guess its got to be done, and worse things to be doing in this weather I suppose!

Nice 10k Kayak trip from Henley to Wargrave yesterday afternoon. Some of the house on that stretch are simply amazing!!

No thunder here Simon - shame as I like a good storm. Maybe not at 3 in the morning....

HLSR today - 14.1 hilly off-road, for a third week in a row of 52M
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A classic Bus run there, and Pete sounds you're fully back in the game now!

Told myself i'd go for "at least 10miles" and would have a little explore of a certain random footpath.

In the end, a fairly standard 13, albeit the first for a month after 3 racing weekends. 6.52 pace. Biggest mileage for a month, 64. Always prefer to see it over 60.

7.15-8.45 it was pretty humid so it must have got tasty later on

• Good park runs from Bus, Pete and Phil  :)

5.5km of swimming!! Nice one Reg

Have a good run tomorrow Simon 

Great day at the rugby followed by watching the cup final yesterday. However woke up this morning to severe cramp in the calf, has been fairly painful/tight all day so no running for the near future

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If only Jason Bourne was a geeky runner.

What's with the extra 0.1m Bus, did you get lost?

Nice work Pete.

I did 9 miles this morning and it was absolute trudge. I seemed to tweak my foot a bit today, not running related.

I bought a bottle of Prosecco and put it in the boot behind a bag. With our drive being on a slope when I got back, I forgot the bottle was there and as I picked up the bag, the bottle started rolling out of the boot.

I pulled off what can only be described as an incredible catch, slipping my only free hand under the bottle an inch from the ground and somehow it stuck.

Anyway enough of my alcohol saving heroics, race tomorrow.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hurrah - quality save Reg! Normally in that situation, it just slips through your fingers and shatters on the floor - usually in front of someone who is relying on you!

For the last 3 weeks I've not done my normal 14 miler (for the sake of variety!). Similar, but with some variation. Oddly, they have all come out as 14.1 for some inexplicable reason - probably should just quote it as 14 really.

Somehow, I feel like I want to know more about harry....
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Fuck off Harry. ;-) 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My first race since fleet 10k today. It was a fairly small event run by a charity that helps para athletes get into sport and I expected that a half decent performance would place me pretty close to the front.

Thankfully Dorney was dry and unusually not very windy. 750m swim went badly and 100m in I was in a breathless panic. I'd decided to go off fast but it must have been too fast. I had to take a moment to catch my breath and chucked in a bit of breaststroke.

It wasn't for another 5 minutes or so that I got my breath under control, that's a long time spent in a panicky itchy bum type state. Second lap was fine as I calmed down but i'd lost a minute or 2 at least. 

Transition onto the bike went ok fumbled about trying to get my foot in the shoe during the first lap though. Once I was going, I worked my way through most the field. Finished the final lap and I decide on a whim to try the, take your feet out your shoes on the move job. Absolutely nailed that and went through transition 2 to the run pretty quickly. So quickly that I was now in a 3 way tie for the lead, I had no idea at the time though.

As the other two went to the drinks table I put in a spurt and opened up a bit of a lead. Being an out and back run, I saw another runner who seemed to be way ahead but it turns out he wasn't in the race. So when the guy behind me caught up I assumed we were fighting for second place. First 2 kms up in 3:38s and I felt ok considering I hadn't done anything other than six weeks of easy running.

The leader was slowly pulling away and I was safe in second place so I pretty much cruised home with the pace slipping a bit. Finished 2nd with about 18:30 for the 5k run. I am a bit disappointed with that time but I probably shouldn't be given the lack of running. My foot is a bit sore now and I need to get some tri running shoes with more support.
  • Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    Love the way he distinguishes between 'technical support' and 'general support', despite the fact that they both have the same contact details. Surely you'd just have one number and call it 'support'? Just because it's SPAM doesnt mean it shouldn't have standards ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Indeed!

Good work Reg! Swim sounded a bit of a nightmare, and a pretty good run time given recent time spent injured. Shows how strong you are on the bike though!

Very dull day today! Other than a bit of swiss ball I've done pretty much bugger all so far!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Reg, always good to get a race in. And i'm sure you don't worry too much about 5k timings in triathlons/duathlons. They aren't often accurate are they? And also you've done a decent effort in another sport beforehand which doesn't help!

Bus, join my standard bank holiday day! The pleasure of the lie in and assorted dossing around, with an 8 miler thrown in on a horribly humid day.

It's always that disconnect with how conditions look, ie overcast and cool, and suddenly half a mile in your hands sweating and the feeling like you're roaming through a swimming pool.

Hopefully time to start a few 5ks rolling now. Pending not coming over absolutely knackered and a little under the weather like last Tue!

• Considering the injury and lack of running you can't be disappointed with the run Reg and sounds like you hammered it on the bike

Plenty of gym stuff today but nothing else!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    For once SG, the 5km was spot on. I posted the fastest bike split but only 3rd fastest run. What was pleasing was 2nd fastest transition off the bike and on to the run in 22 seconds.

The swim was long though and bike short. My calves are a bit sore today, having not run fast since November it's no surprise. I've run 17:45 on that exact course before so 18:3x isn't great. I have had a fairly heavy week though and trained right up to the race. Once the euros are out of the way I will start doing some tempo stuff, maybe some track work.

Looks like a quiet weekend on here.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nice work on the race Reg.  2nd is a fine place considering you are not at full powers.

did a 3rd track session this week to help boost my fitness. 2*5*300.  off 2 mins and target 45s.  pleased that a couple of 42/43s in there but the rest were 44/45s and felt ok.   i think its the longer speed endurance stuff i need more work at as the shorter stuff seems ok-ish for now.   followed it up on sunday with a 9m with middle 5 @ 5.55 pace.

• Thanks for the report Reg, good going on the run, faster average K than my first one yesterday! Going in the right direction there Deano. 

So yesterday. Shortish report as it was a bit shite. 4.30 alarm for the 5.35 train to London with my dad. Felt quite fresh walking over the Millenium bridge, how wrong I was!! Met up with everyone, warmed up etc, sun out, starting to feel warm. Get down to the blue start and a little further back than I want to be, but I think that it will thin out quickly. The minutes silence and then we are off. 

Realise im off too far back, start my watch about 30 seconds after start. Very congested, even get some balloons in my face from some twat who has them tied to them. In the blue start? Ridiculous. At one point I'm just jogging, the path through Trafalgar Square seems thinner than normal..no surprises that the 1st K was 3.46 on my watch. So the rest of the first half I'm trying to claw some time back..but not in this weather. It's a struggle and get to 5k in just under 17.00. Second half isn't fun, kind of battling with a guy I know from LBAC and my HHH mate who had been on a stag do in Amsterdam the last few days!  Show off. 

So trudge over over the line in 33.52, at least it's under 34, which became my aim after the first K. Undone by the weather and I feel a lack of recent long runs that will find you out at 10k, rather than a 5k. Great post run drink with the training group after though, which is the important bit eh. 

Back on on the horse quickly though, 1500 tomorrow at Watford and then I've got a 5000m in Bristol in the BAL on Saturday. No rest for the wicked. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Quick read through.

Well done to all on races and training.

Always like to read how our expectations and performances are relative.
    One's man's poor run is another's dream.

First day off (running) for seven weeks yesterday. The cause was a minor annoyance, but not a complete surprise.
    Just a bit of old scar tissue 'letting go', that's all. That's what happens when the training expands.
     The stresses reach parts that haven't been reached for a while and can wake up remnants of old problems.
    Dealing with the problems is the main thing. Sore yesterday, 90% less sore today. Another day or two off should help things along.
    Should mention, the area involved is about the size of my little finger nail.

All too often, runners ignore the re-hab and conditioning phases after an injury, and continue to break and re-break them until a right old mess is involved. Calf muscles full of knots etc.

The scar tissue is inflexible, weak and multi directional and just rips.
    One day the runner realises they can barely move before tearing something. 

I like running, but only pain free. If something was hurting me, I wouldn't bother.

🙂

• No report from SG?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Give a brother a chance, it was a late enough evening just getting home and trying to eat :)
    Although in fairness, instead of one of the worst night's sleeps ever - the inevitable mix of lucozade, sweets, adrenaline and hype,  i might as well have savoured penning a report out.

First of all though...
    Ric - take it easy fella, you've been Hypey McHype of Hype ville recently, excellent you're loving it so much, but you've been piling it up keenly!

Simon, insane early start there, couldn't have helped. Then add in the humidity, and no wonder you were only "trudging" a 33:xx out ;)

I try and whisk through Dean's stuff as it makes my hamstrings feel tighter just reading it!

Give me about 37mins and we'll get a report up
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, after such a long gradual return to racing, I'd designated May to be a bit of a mad month of racing. I'd written out all the possibilities, and although Wargrave and Cookham 5ks had fallen through for different reasons, i'd still got in a firm 3 races.

I knew i had to make the Burnham 5k last night, or i'd run the risk of putting off/bottling the rest of the series.
    First thing i had to get over was the fact i'd probably run about twice after lunchtime in about 2 years. I'm so used to getting the hard session of the day done in the morning with just a little run out at lunch.
    So as the day rolled on i was thinking, is this going to be alright?

4mile morning run kept sensible, and then all of the day to get prepared.
    Back in my Marlow days, the 5ks were part of their championship, so I used to do 5 of them each year. That was the case in 2006, 2008,2009 and 2010 (2007 i had a bit of an off year)

Since then I've managed to only do Wargrave 2011 and 2013, and Maidenhead 2015. But when you're not a member of a club in the series you naturally fall out of them.

I did consider hanging about at work, then driving the 2miles there, but that would have left over 2hours hanging about!
    Driving to Burnham brought back memories. 

The series used to pan out as so

Wargrave - everyone's there, it's all fresh and keen, find out where you might be in the mix. Undulating road

Burnham - still keen, similar to above setup.

Maidenhead - the fast one (when you marshal and thus don't run Marlow) Real mixed bag course, sometimes had the slight whiff of shortness

Handy Cross - starting to gag for the end of the series. A 2 lap grass course, with little loop round the back. Worst for me as i've run a million times on this park

Datchet - Windsor park 2 lapper. Similar to above, but fresher location. Glorious when it's all over!

Since then, they've for some reason added one at Cookham, meaning if you also do Marlow, there's 7 races over a couple of months! A little tasty i think.

Anyway! Burnham, my last time here was 7 years back. 7 years!
    Felt nostalgic driving into the school location, seeing people from years back.

Went for a warm up, managed 2 miles. Wished well by a few marshals, who probably thought "this guy's warming up, he must be serious", while i'm thinking "whose idea was this, this'll be dreadful", as the gentle sweat of humidity was in the air.

Suddenly 10mins to race start, so i've decided 2miles warmup is enough, and instead of strides we'll have "last knockings in the bush", which is what we all know is the real key before races.

5mins of slightly stressy moving of the whole 200 or so race field onto one side of the road to let a few cars through and it's almost time to go.

Our top boy James, who won the first 2 isn't here, and checking round the start line there's some of our guys and a few others I don't really recognise or have any idea of their pace. I do clock a Wargrave vest who i was told has come 2nd only to James.
    Either way I'm half expecting to be leading in the early knockings. Especially with a slope to rampage down and my permanent fast start.

Instead, after a couple of hundred metres i'm only about 5th or 6th, wondering what the flip is going on here.
    Some tall muscular Handy Cross fella is out to prove you can be a hunk and be a fast runner it seems. Wargrave's up there, and so is a Maidenhead junior. Couple of other chaps.

Bottom of the down, it changes :) People have realised it's not all downhill.
    Hunk has dropped off, couple of others have, it's Wargrave, Maidenhead junior then me.
    First km is clocked in 3.11. I vow to stop looking at splits after this one, take them, but review later. As on this sort of course if it's a fast split, it's down, and if you're not going fast enough on the ups, what are you gonna do? You probably won't have the tank to go faster!

So we're up to 1k, the course loops round, and we have a bit of an up, and having clocked the 2k sign about 200metres into the first part of the race, know where to expect that! 
    Down the slope again, and this time it's straight on at the bottom, and we're on a slightly longer second loop.

The order at the front hasn't changed, and if anything Wargrave man is getting further ahead, but Maidenhead AC is just a little too far ahead of me to challenge. That suits me fine. Can't hear much behind, and in some ways it's good having someone setting the route and pace in the distance.

Get to 3km, tell myself at most it's 8mins left.
    There's a couple of ups and downs, but minor stuff.

I'm past a marshal, "you can catch him i reckon" she murmurs, as I view this Maidenhead AC kid just too far ahead to realistically think i can take. "Bet she says that to everyone who goes past" i think.

Round a bend, and demanding that 4k marker. I know there's a hill in the last half mile, and start doing some calcs about how a km is 0.62miles, so once that 4km is up it's a case of sucking up one last effort.

4km is up, we're round another bend, definitely nothing close behind me, Maidenhead AC isn't far ahead at all really, but it'd take a bit of a gut buster to change things now. Especially on this climb, which is fairly substantial by 5k standards!

Pleased i just have enough to make a decent effort up this hill, cheered on my a pack of peeps, old pals and new, and to the peak, and just about 20metres to see to the finish.

Maidenhead is on the floor ruined, and Wargrave looks well raced too!
    Applaud them both, and onto the floor it is, for pure satisfaction - that reason we all race.

3rd place 17:19 (pending official)

If i had to estimate how far off 2nd i was, it'd be one of those perhaps 5seconds jobs that when you see on paper you wonder how you couldn't close it, but in reality was out of sight. 4th seemed a fair distance behind, hard to estimate, let's guess 30seconds? 
    It was my old pal Will from Maidenhead, a chap who has had plenty of injury problems himself, but back in the day, somewhere in the 09-11 spell, we turned up at 7 races in a row, and he led me 4-3. One heck of a battle

Think a couple of the Datchet chaps came in top 10 too. One had done Manchester 10k 2 days previously, not to mention the travel there and back, and the other I believe was on a stag weekend in Newcastle over the bank hol. Both are game lads though, the Datchet chaps don't half turn out at races!

Review it against my last Burnham efforts, and so we now have this sequence

2009  17:23  3rd
    2010  17.21  4th
    2017  17.19* 3rd

Nice little consistency there!

Shows they were fairly tidy turnouts in those years 2009-2010 bearing in mind that was before/very early in the Moz training!

Enjoyed plenty of time with a lot of the Datchet gang afterwards, banter about previous and future events, and a few others from the past.
    Should probably have got to chat to more Marlow lot, but by the time I thought about it, they were in a 4-0 strong clique and my "post race super confidence" had worn off a little :), so i thought sod it, there's other races for that.

Look forward to getting to the Marlow 5k later on in the series. Have missed it for so many reasons over the years - had to marshal it in Striders days, then ill a couple of times, clashes and so it'd be nice to finally get there this year.

All in all a cracking evening, even if the nerves and prep are always horrible!

That's 4 races in May, 8 for 2017 so far, properly back on the scene :-)

I'm up to 195 "career" races now, so will have to look at making a 200th something special. Either some sort of thread meet, or something different.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I thought only my Mum and other women her age used the term 'hunk.'
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It's one to file in the SG lexicon, along with 'monstered' and 'goon'.  Excellent report there SG, and good to see those seven years were well-spent knocking off 2 seconds.  Do you really almost never run after lunchtime?  I run best in the evening.

Very strong return to racing Reg.  Hardly surprising that the run stage was a little off the usual, but sure when you're back in the full swing of things those times will start dropping again.  Just good to see you back out there.

Tough luck on the London 10,000 Simon.  Jogging the first kilometre won't help at all, and once you know you've little hope of hitting your usual paces, it's pretty difficult mentally to squeeze out the last few drops of effort that you need.  Good luck tonight at Watford.  I'm itching to get back to Watford, but I'm not in the right shape for fast times at short distances just yet.

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Stevie G said:

Give me about 37mins and we'll get a report up
    Stevie G said:
    Right

39 minutes later. ....

Good run though. Think the HX Cross runner may be Dominic REED who has been first finisher at Wycombe Rye parkrun a few times recently and getting close to 18 minutes for 5k. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

pedant ;-)

Quality racing SG, and a gripping report that took longer to write than the race! Who was this 'hunk' then?!  You should post his picture and we can take a vote : What term are the young people using these days then Reg? ;-)...

Track Wednesday today. Back to a classic 6x800m, in a somewhat slovenly average of 2:50. In my defence, it was humid and windy, and I had to move to lane 3 on the back straight each lap.

Seems my card is marked with regard to free entry at the track though. There was a new receptionist, who, for the first time ever, asked if I was a Member! Luckily, and rarely, I was there with a colleague who is so we still got in....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    that'll be the "about" part...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs - next to never.
    I've had my spells of lunch and evening, and looking back, those felt pretty soulless trudging to a dark track alone for a tough session.

Also runs the risk of something coming up in the day, or feeling monstered.

Now i've actually got through an evening fare, and am re-assured evenings don't need to just be for sleep, i might tweak it a little.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, how does that track work, do you have to sneak through the reception to get to it? Bit cheeky. Not like the terrific Handy cross where you just cruised in.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes Dachs it's funny how you have to completely change your outlook within 5 mins of the start, was considering a 5k tempo followed by a 5k blast, but thought I would try and run it properly at the end. Just tonight and the 28th June for Watford this year, both 1500m. Good report SG, seem happy enough with that! Good toughing it out Bus.  

Attempting to register for Denmark now, bit of a pain apparently..