Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Pete - I nearly choked when I saw you say hanley park run is fast-ish, despite its hilly. :) the course goes straight into a hill loop after 80m start.  I find it slow but I am a wuss who can only function on flat courses to be fair.  I haven't broken 16.40 on it.  And I think only a few have gone sub 16 in its history.  The course record is low 15s and was done by a team mate capable of hitting low 14s. But I do agree I would rather have a hilly tarmac course like hanley than a flatter grass surfaced course.

Mondays session is still in my legs and my calfs are stiff like rocks after 6*1k in 3.05s.  hopefully loosened them up as todays session looks punishing.  with a 600m in 90s in the middle.

And regards SG...and you know he loves us discussing this in advance ;) sub 76 or bust. forget a previous crap half from years ago...its irrelevant.  you are in form...use it or lose it, but no excuses.  be brave...ask your self what would Matt do? :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt would drink 7 cans of cider the night before and run 1:11after a 90 mile week ;-)

To be fair to SG, in the circs, I'd possibly be inclined to set off with a slight degree of caution and only really put the hammer down around 9-10 miles.

Only 16:40 Dean? Slacker!

Parking charges at local authority parks for parkrun is an interesting one, as all LAs have a duty for health promotion, but they rarely put a monetary value on it and it is paid for in a different budget.  BP car park fees do at least directly go to the up-keep of the park (though technically this is not actually allowed in legislation, but hey ho...)

Lunchtime run today. Forecast said sun, but its pissing it down currently!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's less the years since one, and not so much it being a "bad" run, but the nature of why it was a bad run. Plus not racing over 7 miles for so long.
    However, like most races you ever do , it'll find itself as it should do i guess. I've done a bunch of 15s, and a few targeted sessions, so won't get any more ready! I'm certainly not thinking, i'll do xxx race to do better until i see how this goes.

ps Bus, thank goodness your assessment was based on the slow rep of the three ;)

late night last night, couple of 4s today. Slight ache in the rib, slight feel in the quad. So we're ok!
    United v Tottenham at Wembley tonight, so will see how that works out versus a 15 tomorrow!
  • Dean - Aah good old Hanley pk, would be great to run one there. Had many a drunk walk home through there, also we turned part of it into a mudbath once playing footie on it, also slept on a bench in the summer. Students eh?

Incidentally - what are our Parkrun PB's?..Can anyone beat my 15.52 at Poole? ;)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

16:04 at Woodley.  My quest to one day break 16 in a parkrun seems to have been going on for ages.  It's just too early in the damn morning.  I only just broke 17 last weekend, so that was a bit shit.

Never picked up on Dean's indoor racing.  Sounds like some pretty good performances this early in the season, and will certainly expect those times to further improve. 

Having a bit of a taper week this week, as I shall be targeting a time at Chichester.  Most recent run worthy of mention was an 18 on Sunday, during which a massive piece of bread fell out of the sky into my path.  Looked up and there was a shifty-looking crow up there.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Stevie G said:
    Yep, it's less the years since one, and not so much it being a "bad" run, but the nature of why it was a bad run. Plus not racing over 7 miles for so long.
    However, like most races you ever do , it'll find itself as it should do i guess. I've done a bunch of 15s, and a few targeted sessions, so won't get any more ready! I'm certainly not thinking, i'll do xxx race to do better until i see how this goes.
    serious question... but is this the mind set you will take to the start line? its hardly a PMA.  You are giving yourself every chance of failing and have ready made excuses during the race when it gets hard.  I can understand poor form or injury being a concern on a start line but you have neither.  you recent training has been strong.   Take the start line with a stronger mind, you have a better chance of succeeding.  You seem worried of aiming high for fear of missing.  Sack that!  PMA wins the day.  Now go and run a sub 72 ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just trying to manage the thread's expectations! I'll run it as hard as i can on the day, and remember i've done 26 halfs, of which 25 were an accurate indicator of my pace at the time.

Couldn't ask for a better field, with tonnes of clubmates, Bus n Phil, and numerous local rivals faster and slower. They should provide benchmarks.

First thing's first, getting a long un in tomorrow, then Sunday's last XC.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I wish I'd had the bollocks to commit earlier in my last half but my previous race was a fell race where I had a pit stop after my teammate snapped his leg and the one before that I quit after 5 miles. :-D throw in the fact I was rough as a dog from the ale then I wasn't really sure how things would pan out. Haha
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Slow is a relative term SG :-)

Horrible run lunchtime - 8 miles of really gloopy mud! Getting bored with out now and want some dry weather! Mood not helped by sore hip, sore back and dodgy knee, stoopid dogs all over the place and my MP3 player dying. Still, missed a massive hailstorm by minutes so not all bad!

• Exactly SG, just go into it knowing you've put the hard work in and just hammer it!
    I hope your pre-work 15 works out well after the match tonight :p

Bus, believe it or not, my quads were fine! It was my calves which had gone into hibernation due to avoiding the local hills to allay the foot problem, haha

Ric, yes I completely agree - that's part of the reason I love Strava, seeing when people have actually gone balls out but claim it to be an easy effort  :D

Good session that, iower! Any local non-parkrun 5ks coming up soon?

Dean, that's a tasty session you had lined up for today! 

Simon, I'm gonna be the thread slowcoach - a measly 17:45 is my parkrun PB  :D

Another easy run today, timed it really badly and hit by driving hail for about half of it. Not fun!
    7.5mi at 7:28/mi for 75.7%HR - another improvement on yesterday for no increase in effort, upward trend continues!
    Finishing January on 159mi, best since September! Looking forward to seeing the improvements that come with another month of consistency, and putting sessions back in :)

Got me thinking today about having an autumn target - thinking about going for broke at GSR, sub-60 seems a suitable goal if the year goes well!
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Bus - definitely a shopper. Raleigh twenty I reckon!

SG - don’t sell yourself short before the day! 

Matthew - I might head over the water to southsea parkrun soon - flat paved out and back so about as quick as you’ll get away from the track. Just need a wind free day to make the most of it. Otherwise it’s waiting until May when the lakeside 5k series kicks off, I’ll be in full on Ironman 70.3 mode by then though!

8.5 steady with a mate tonight. Few hills thrown in. Averaged 7:12 which felt ok legs and effort wise but the stomach/guts were a bit off which made it uncomfortable and felt pretty rubbish for the second half. Still feel pretty crappy now though better after dinner. Maybe just a bit dehydrated/depleted?
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    iower said:
    ...Otherwise it’s waiting until May when the lakeside 5k series kicks off...
    Edit: April actually! Could give the first one a go in that case
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Portsmouth Lakeside? Will have to do one of those this year. Force myself to choose one, rather than a flimsy "will do one", then miss all 4 or 5.

Dreadful United performance at Wembley. Lost after 10seconds basically!

Amazing odds, bearing in mind there were 81,000 there,  and myself and a pal left dead on the final whistle, in a block very near the  train platform, and after a massive bundle to pack onto a 5-6 carriage train...

to look 1 seat to the right, and see Pete M there!
    We hadn't gone to the game together, went from different stations outbound etc. Mad odds.

So the less than ideal scenario of late night, and early morning 15 miler!

Started the run with a bit of an ache in the rib, and a tight quad.

However, nothing got worse or came on, so 15 done quite nicely in 6.50 average.

That's 4 Thursdays in a row like that now, and one Sunday 15 before hand.
    That's a decent set
  • I was going to write an essay on SG and his predicted half marathon time but Dean has summed it up pretty well. Having said that, PMA (positive mental attitude and I had to google it) is part of it but doesn't necessarily mean an all-out or die effort. To hit a PB you need a lot of things to line up properly. It is widely accepted that training is best in cycles so traditionally you peak for maybe two championships a year and for maybe 4 to 6 weeks round that time you get a good patch of results. If SG is in at one of these peaks it is right to try and cash in. You also need the right mental state. A lot of this is arrived at by practice, so Dean is running indoors for the first time and is finding a pace a tactic that suits him. Same for a half marathon: I always used to do a series with the A-race at the end of the series. If you come away from the first race of the series and feel "that went well but I know I can go faster" then that is a positive outcome. If you go off too hard and struggle at the end it leaves you in a worse place. A single race should not be viewed out of context.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

absolutely 100% agree Mr Jones.    

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    How people react under unknown race conditions is anyone's guess.

Difficult to field a peak performance when worrying about a plethora of 'what ifs'.

However, since distance races (HM) aren't really decided in the first 200m or so. It might be an idea to go with the flow and see what happens.

That said, I've set off in a few races at what I was convinced was a really slow pace, it was, and still blew up 3 minutes later. Damn!

🙂

• RicF said:
    It might be an idea to go with the flow and see what happens.
    That depends on how soft or hard your PB is. Everyone knows that if you overcook it too early on then you lose hand over fist at the end so going out hard and "banking time" is not a good tactic, but then it is also true that a conservative start can leave you with too much to do at the end. 

The shorter races are much easier to judge, you should know when you are at 10 out of 10 and then you need to dial it down to 9.5. For a 5k it is hard for the first mile, push the middle mile hard and then finish with a last hard mile. For a half you have to be back towards 9 and it is judging what is 8.5 and what is 9.5 where the skill is.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    What I read about racing HM's was to run as fast as one could without accumulating lactic acid for 11 miles. 
    I wondered why 11 miles until it was explained that after 11 miles it was possible to ramp up the intensity for maybe 10 minutes before tying up. 

For mere mortals lets call it 11.75 miles.

🙂

• That's a good clip for the 15, SG, despite the late night!

Iower, I always meant to head out to do one of the lakeside series before I left Southampton - but it was one of those things that never materialised! Lots of good times are run there. I take it from your name that you're from the island?

RicF & PMJ - your short discourse shows just how magical it feels to get the pacing just right for a HM! I found in my PB that I got to 10mi okay, 11th dipped a wee bit, but like Ric said I was able to muster a second wind to get round the last part. Pure elation that day, breaking 85 on a MT course on a hot September's day in the New Forest!

So, first of the month, and start as I mean to go on - by doing my first session of the comeback!
    Planned 6 x 5mins (2mins) as mentioned previously, but did my warm up and thought it may be wiser to opt for a 3min recovery just to be sure. Originally had in mind to do the first few around 7min/mi to get a feel for it again, and then pick it up if I had enough left.
    First one always goes faster than you expect, and so it was a case of not going backwards - which was pretty easy to manage as I was feeling pretty good! Glad for the 3min recoveries, as in the first couple of reps I felt a stitch coming on, but the recovery nipped that in the bud each time.
    Paces for the reps came out as 6:44/6:41/6:41/6:39/6:35/6:19 - pushing the envelope a bit on the last, with HR of 89.5%. Recovery pace was 7:41/mi, so not too shabby all round!

Just a case of making sure I maximise the next sessions, now that I know what I can pull out :)
  • I'm one of those weirdos who can only do a half decent time by banking time and expecting a fade! Whenever I try a negative split, I still fade!

Nice reps MH and another quality long run SG.

Now, quandary of the week. Staines 10k entries opened today, but (as mentioned in an earlier post) it's the same day as the Marlow 5. Decisions, decisions....

Meanwhile, shocking run to the station this morning. Slow as you like with legs like lead. Run home again was considerably better thankfully! F-off tomorrow...
  • The Bus said:
    I'm one of those weirdos who can only do a half decent time by banking time and expecting a fade! Whenever I try a negative split, I still fade!
    There is a subtle difference between the utter fools who go out too fast and fade at the end and those experienced runners who know from experience that the body gets tired and plan their strategy to allow for that.

Bertrand Russell explained the concept of emotive conjugation in 1948:

I run a tactical race and factor in a small fade at the end.
    You go out too fast but manage to hang on at the end.
    He goes out like a greyhound with diarrhoea and dies like a dog at 10 miles.
  • Lol - thanks Philip! I probably sit between the first tow. Tactical intentions, should know better, but only seldom manage to contain it!
    Part of the problem is judgment - 5k pace feels easy for the first mile of a half, but only about as easy as slower than marathon pace feels by the last!
  • Good session there MH, sad that the footie wasn't great SG - myself, if Carlsberg had done the results weds night...

Track last night, bloody caught the most western bit of that rain last night, thought we might miss it. Anyway session was 6 x 1200 on the track. Not icy this week, but wet and windy. Pretty consistent 3.48/9's for the first 4, then the obligatory poo stop, then a 3.47 and a 3.43 to finish with. So that's it until Chichester now on Sunday, hoping for low 33's or sub 33 to get one of the V45 places for Brum.

Looking forward to seeing the famous Black Park parkrun tomorrow - difficulty will be trying to stop my kid running it when he's only just back at school from 2 days off!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    good session simon...I decided not to chase the England vest at brum.  I was tempted with coming to chichester as a v45 I would have fancied a top 3 spot to qualify but I basically decided did I want to race a 10k in the middle of indoor training and if I got a niggle or injury off racing the 10k would it have been worth it.  Had to focus on the one thing and indoor is it this time!   Good luck, looking at past times I expect you to comfortably make top 3
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Lots of good training going on as ever; always puts running in context to see Simon's 1200's in times many people who regard themselves as decent runners take for 1k! Good luck for Chichester, around 33 for a 10k as a v45 quite incredible.  

Yes good to unexpectedly catch up with SG on the train back from Wembley; terrible performance by our Utd boys, though saying we had lost it after 10 seconds is a bit excessive. WBA were behind in about 3 mins at Anfield last Saturday and ahead again by 10 minutes on their way to victory. Once again Mourinho team and tactics failed against the top teams.

Dreaded titanium teeth implants for me yesterday and doesn't half feel like your mouth is bashed about and swollen and painful afterwards. Recommendation is "no vigourous exercise" for 3 days. How do you experts interpret that? I reckon cruising round a parkrun with my daughter (about 8.5mm nowadays) should be ok but better give TVXC a miss on Sunday. Anyway I wouldn't want to upset Phil and SG's team by scoring points for their rivals for the men's title ;) ). 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Pete, while i haven't (yet! and hopefully not for ages if ever), had what you've just had, i've had a fair few dentistry bits in my time!

Root canal, feels a little like you describe as you get a real battering in there. Fine to commence again the next day

Crowns/fillings - sore and numb for a bit, but pretty much able to continue immediately.

Wisdom teeth out - not sensible to do sessions/race for a good few days, as it's basically a bit of an open wound that needs to heal.

From those 3 approaches, rival team banter aside, it's got to be approach number 3.
    From what i've read about the implants, while they look perfect and probably even better than actual teeth look, you have to treat them with kid gloves. Different ways to clean - ie no electronic toothbrush, very careful mixing hot and cold extremes, as the risk is that the screw can become a bit loose and very tough to tighten up, as they are permanent.

I'd say you want to adjust and bed them in, let the gum settle.
    Maybe  a couple of days full rest, but not sure you'd like that.

The thing to remember i think, is when they say "vigorous", they're meaning that in an everyman context.
    Running at any pace is vigorous in their speak, whereas to you, vigorous would be racing.

• Cheers PeteM, Dean, yes will give it a blast, depends who turns up I suppose and I will be surprised but not 'shocked' if I don't make the top3.

Football wise...still in dreamland after Chelsea away. Stoke at home next..you can just see what's going to happen ;)

• BP was good, winner 16.11. Missed PMJ but photo of him on Facebook. With his back turned ;)
  • Some might say his best side :wink:

Sounds highly unpleasant Pete!

Lovely morning for it! I settled on a road route for my LSR today. Did a route I've not really done before over Chesham way.  Strava doesn't make it as hilly as it felt, but it was hard work, cold and very wet and I had to do a couple of mind-numbing loops at the end to make up the numbers having got back to the car at 13 and needing 15! 7:34 pace felt OK in the circs!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    It looked a bit lumpy on strava Bus. Nice going. 

Rougher than a badgers ball sack today after a full day at a wedding yesterday. First cider went down at 9.30am doing my usher duties to the best of my ability and I stumbled off the dance floor after 1am. Did a mona Fartlek this afternoon and just having a couple to bring me too. :-) I've got a 22 mile long run tomorrow which should be another 90+ mile week. 

Good luck to SC and Dachs at Chichester tomorrow and anyone else racing.