Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Be nice if some decent weather accompanied the next few months too - bloody sick of mud!
  • Options
    Ah see you Saturday then SG. Bus- weather should be getting better next week apparently...
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    bus - if you are sick of mud, stick to road man! stop going off road :)  Honorable thing you did on your race, stopping and making sure the faller was ok.  And hope that cough/chest infection gets gone soon

Simon - congrats on your 5k ranking #1.  wonder how long that 15.59 will last? it might not make it through May ;)

Reg - good 5k tt and some good training as well Matt H

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Dean - still got a nice photo of me in the yellow box in AW though, no date on it ;) Yes not expecting it to last, PhilPub with a 16.09 at Dulwich parkrun. then the 16.00 V55 posting too (that was sobering..)

So what 5K race are you doing next month then LOL...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm actually favouring mud at the moment as there's so much water involved with it, it gets washed off as soon as it get applied.

No use trying to avoid it, I just go straight into it from the word go. 
    It's when the really wet stuff starts to dry out things get awkward. The consistency becomes like glue.

Still prefer that to the roads right now.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind tarmac so much if the options in High Wycombe or Aylesbury weren't so darn dull :-)

Talking of which, 5 miles recovery on tarmac this morning - the slightest inclines felt like mountains today!

Dr thinks my chest is OK, but has sent me for an x-ray to be sure.

• Options

Good news Bus that chest getting better. So better post some training then!

On the golf club paths gladly as the rugby club grass is like a bog at the moment and I'm sick to the back teeth of mud too. So it was 8 x 1k off 90 secs. IK has a cold so it was just me and another guy doing the 1k's with everyone else doing 800's.

Bit different to doing them on the track with 2.30/3 min recoveries! but managed to get them all around 3.10, 3.14 to start and the last one 3.06. Resting up now until Saturday and the killer Sutton Pk relay course..hopefully i'll get a short leg.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well I settled for another 10 miles through the mud, which makes four days of the same back to back.

Noted a Strava segment up one mud filled up-hill gully. After applying myself for once I fielded a time a good 20% slower than a guy who appeared to be a cyclist! His performance was seven years back and there was also two other good efforts in the space of 30 minutes. Odd!

The loop he ran it on looked familiar and then I twigged why. It was the Metros edition of the Thames Valley XC league. It was also a race I was in. Sure enough, there I was pre-Garmin about 3 minutes behind. 

I think I'll wait until the ground dries up and then have another go. I used to blast this hill once anyway, and only now can I run it without stopping halfway.

Cut out all the chocolate and crisps from the diet. I was 10lb's heavier than when I ran Staines last year.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

10 miles of mud each day will soon have the weight off you Ric!

Nice session Simon - love the way even your golf course reps are faster than my track ones by some way!

5.5M of muddy bogs, rain and coughing this morning. Went so slowly that I finally twigged I'd miss the train if I didn't get a wriggle on, so the last mile and a half were at least at OK ish pace!

Reverse of that home tonight, but looks like it will be marginally warmer and not raining, if just as muddy!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, I'd find having to rely on running as a means of commuting rather stressful. I tried it on a couple of occasions but seven miles each way was simply too far. The risk of injury was enough to put that idea on hold permanently.

Cycling wasn't so bad since I was unlikely to pull a muscle doing it.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It can be, but often I actually find it easier doing a double when it's a commute than on a day off. Once I've got there, I have to get home! 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Can’t say I’ve run on any mud this year. Can’t face doing my ankle again.

what I did do for the first time in ages, was a club track session. It was a light session, the main set being 7 x 600m with 200 jog recoveries. I didn’t want to try anything heroic so aimed for 5k pace. They came out around 2:02-2:05.

We followed that with a few 200s which came out at 35. I have to say getting old makes you slow. Those 200s felt quite lively until I checked the watch.
  • Options
    Good one for a starter though Reg. Know what you mean about the reality check though. If I do the 1500 in Malaga later this year then I'm going to have to be doing sets of 200's around 30 secs. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Old Reg! wait until you get to where I am. 

I found slowing with age wasn't a linear decline in line with age grading percentages. It was more case of waking up one day feeling no different than before but finding 15 seconds per mile has gone out of the window.

Ok, rather slow than injured. Even now I've a sore foot, but not a Phil Morris Jones sore foot, which I suspect is a real sore foot, rather than my feeble excuse.

As for race times. I note there's guys in my age category (V55) who can run faster now than I ever did. 

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree about the non-linearity of ageing related decline! It's not been reflected massively in race times for me yet (though the cracks are showing :smile: ), but the last couple of years have seen a huge change in the recovery time needed from a race or even a hard session, whihc then has a knock on effect on training of course. Also, my steady training paces seem to have declined as a bit of a step change.

Feeling sorry for myself today, having spent most of last night uncontrollably coughing and feel generally lurgified  today. Yesterday's cold and miserable doubles probably didn't help. I'll skip today's run and see what tomorrow brings.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Have to remember to keep the waffleration up on here now Strava is my new tool of choice!

12 stage relays looking doubtful for us now. We already had some best 12 guys out, and now we're down to 11, with our 2nd best guy pulling out. On top of that we have a couple of guys who haven't run for weeks, and a couple a bit borderline ill!

Without the southern qualification this year (snowed off) it all feels a bit underwhelming this year, versus the excitement of last year.

We'd do well for top 50 with a top squad, so just turning up with "any availables" doesn't seem a great option, with a 2hour drive (90mins for me), 5-6hour day and same back.

A few are saying they're happy to go with the group decision, but it all feels like people are skirting around giving a firm "this aint worth it", to not let everyone else down!

Worst case would be going, coming near last, and a few of the guys ruining themselves!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, a few days rest can do wonders, it's hard for us 5-6 day week runners to accept it sometimes though.

You're still turning out nicely in races, that's something to be pleased with.

Strava makes for some interesting reading at times. While I haven't really got into my "sensible" flow, and am still messing about chasing the odd seg on easy days, I see a lot worse!

• Options

Yes noticed it's been sparse on here lately..what would happen it dwindled away? Just migrate to the sub3 thread? ;) Would understand if you didn't go to the relays SG. Its quite handy for me as I'm going by train this time and it's direct on the slow train, hopefully have some beers with the Herne Hill and Kent boys after too.

Hope you feel better soon Bus.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have been annoyed by a pull out if I'd been using it as a stop off point on route to United's game Sunday, but the 4pm kick off would mean a lot of hanging about, so didn't book in.

Bit of a shame, but no worry. The good thing this year is I've upped my club involvement with frequent sessions. If it'd been last year it would have been a big gap to the next meet up.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to a stack of spring/summer 5k action, and with our first summer sieres 5k less than 5 weeks away thought I'd wheel out the old plan.

Sesh 1 - 8x600 off 90s, 2x400 off 60s, 2x200 off 30s

Aiming for sub 1hr 20 lapping, and we got there

600s, 1x1.56,2x1.57,4x1.58,1.59
    400s, 2x1.18
    200s, 2x35s

One question though, we all know tracks overrecord distance, so I'd estimate this session would be the 3.5miles warmup (taken as a separate reading), and then 4.5miles for the above (including around 2 laps and a bit cool down)

However, it showed as 5.55miles on strava, and then 5.51 on the "re-adjust" bit.

Is there anyway on Strava to amend down the distance? Or is it just one of those things you have to suck up and thus overclaim?

Will log as 3.5m + 4.5m later in my own records
  • Options

F**k knows mate..and I'm not going to find out any time soon either.

Long leg 5 for me tomorrow - thought that would be the case as the team had gone down in quality unfortunately..

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG,

Only since Garmin has emerged has this numbers game gone down into fractions. In the past, most of us just took a guess based on measuring maps or time. Worked well enough.

I myself will amuse myself in getting as close to a whole mile number while running, by sometimes zig-zagging a bit of a loop in the final stages, but I'm not getting hooked up on the 100th's.

I was certainly not thinking about any of this on today's run. Andrea was with me on this one, and I was curious to see how she went across the mud since she claimed she hadn't run on the surface for ages.

It was handy that I had some old studs in her size she could wear as she said she was going to run in road shoes. On reflection, maybe I should have let her. Crikey! that was hard work!

Overall, I averaged a similar pace to my daily run. However, this run involved chatting the whole way, which kind of put me in difficulties.
     She meanwhile, simply glided effortlessly across some of the worst mixes of mud you could muster, but was kind enough to stop when I was forced to.

One reason behind her ability to traverse mud at speed is a type of foot plant which eliminates pronation almost completely.
    Whereas I spent a good deal of time fighting sideways movement, she just went straight ahead. A  good power to weight ratio helps as well of course.

I had plenty of time to observe all of this as I struggled to keep up. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    It just makes it inaccurate when people post their "strava" mileage at the end of the year.

Now I understand where the strangely pointless average moving time stat comes from too!
    That's before you look at the real temptation, to constantly smash yourself if there are segments afoot :)
    This Strava has a lo to answer for!

A coach park where the run gang do some of their efforts is an intriguing one.

A couple of chaps have put down 42secs for a "lap" of the coachpark.
    As it's about 380metres, that's about 2min miling for one thing :)

The oval shape thus clearly warps the reading a fair bit, but it's a strange one, as my fastest supposedly was 51secs on Tue, yet a guy I was beating most reps did a 44 apparently.
    No doubt down to the quirk of where you started each rep, as the end bits have fiddly cone bends, so if you started on a straight you'd minimise the fiddliness.

Hmm, probably overthinking this, but it's filled a last few mins at work, 
    SAT OFF tomorrow

(relays off for us, just to confirm, good luck Simon though)
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Stevie G said:
    It just makes it inaccurate when people post their "strava" mileage at the end of the year.

if it was me i would file it under "it doesnt f*cking matter"

Hope that helps :)

Shame the relays are off for you, they are a good race.  Good luck Simon though
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lol - you mocked us Strava wankers before becoming an addict yourslef SG :-)

It is easy to become obsessed - I have to tell myself sometimes that it is the actual training you do that counts, not what Strava tells you did and having it all recorded makes no difference to the actual physiological effect!!!

I used to always do similar to Ric, and run  until it rolled over to the next whole number or 0.1, but now it no longer rounds down I don't bother:-)

Feeling marginally better today and managed a run at lunchtime. It felt hard, but as is often the case, I felt better after pushing the pace for the last two miles to a blistering not quite MP!!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, are you sure that's quite wise?

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ric, when have you known me to take the sensible option? :wink:

Seriously though, I was feeling quite a bit better yesterday after a day off and a better night's sleep, and the extar pace was more to shake out a really stiff hip than anything. 

Better again today too, with almost no coughing last night - first time for over a month - yippee!

I was going to do my long run tomorrow, but given spring seems to have arrived today, but it's forecast to rain again tomorrow, I think I'll squeeze it in later today (though maybe not that long...)

Who is racing this weekend then? Few relayers aren't there, and a big one tomorrow?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Good to see you helping out a fallen comrade in the fell race Bus, definitely earned yourself a tick in the 'pro's column when St Peter casts his judgement.

Good luck at the relays those who are doing them. I swear we will make it to some national relays one day.

So, the day has almost dawned, and it's Brighton Marathon tomorrow. Been battling a minor cold for what feels like ages, but with the route going past my hotel a couple of times, there are options to bin it if things aren't right. Wondering if my no gel approach is the right one, but too late to change now. 

As an "elite", thanks to their generous definition of that, I get a buffet and race briefing tonight. Downside is that my hotel is located above a bar that' open til 3 am...
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Dachs, just because  the bar is open until 3:00am there's no rule saying you must partake, though under such conditions, you'll no doubt be forgiven for giving into temptation and drinking the masses under the table.
    After all, you are there for reasons of competition.

No running for me today, which is only the sixth day off since the turn of the year. Three tiny niggles down the same leg (top of butt, behind knee and top of foot) was enough for me to not run with yesterdays assassin. 

Bike ride instead. Made a change.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean - arguably we could say it "doesn't matter" to the majority of the stuff we discuss on here.

Good luck Dachs. Hopefully the sound proofing is decent. The last thing you want is hoards of boozed up goons murdering pop classics when you're trying to rest. 

Actually looks a sunny day outside. Is this the start of the "it's too hot" spell? Distinct from the "too cold" and "too windy" stages :)

SAT OFF today.

2nd in the Strava Datchet mileage leaderboard with 52.5 from Monday (well, 53.5...track thing).

The guy first isn't a Dasher anymore, but seems to do about 5 or 6 runs a day, most of them commutes of 1 and 2milers both ways.