Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Intriguing question from Ric i thought.
    You have to love running to get out so many times a week, but some runs are duty. Unless you're Lit (hi if you're around!) id wager most people don't always love the long run. We just know it's key.

On another note handicap times are out for tomorrow's club 5k.
    Always awkward as some will use some recent parkrun doddle with their wife, while some of us used our flat out time from a fast race.

Thererore for one eg ive got to make up about 6mins on a pal who is a 19min runner as he's naughty put down 23!
    I'm starting last. 25mins after the first guy who will be about. 3-4mins into lap 2 before i start.

It's gonna be fun but I may be quite low down the finishers!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Supposed to be a  :) Reg. A reference back to the stirring comment.

I don't go out with the intention of upsetting others. But internet forums have a basic flaw which invites such a thing. And the reason they become dull.

The love of running for the sake of running or running as a means to an end? 

I had the idea briefly that one reason may have precedent over the other, but it doesn't. We all have our reasons for running. And subsequently not running.

And as SG said, people don't always love the long run.

🙂

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Long runs are a bit of a pain - they are the ones I could do without.

They are ok with someone else, especially if they are in an area you are used to, which makes it boring. Music can help too. The best long runs are those in new areas, like on holiday. Run around loads of great places - Prague over the Charles bridge before the tourists have got up and up the hill the other side, Amsterdam, Brussels, Phoenix in August (OK that was tough - and only 4 miles!), Arhus last year was great too.

On another topic - just found the timetable for the 1500 in Malaga. Two heats on the sat night (15th) between 6-7pm, and the final 11.17 the next morning! Loads of recovery time eh! (fingers crossed I get to final..)

Ric - Nothing wrong with a bit of stirring mate!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has different reasons and finds desire to carry on in different ways.
    Moz used to say it was key to be consistent and injury free  as well as seeing progression in times to keep motivated.

Breaking up the day and getting a daily attainment keep things ticking over for me. The race times and racking races up in general help a lot too.
  • Simon - im not coming down to watford, as expected coach wanted me to do 2 sessions instead and a race on the wednesday disrupted that.   Yep the 1500 timetable is going to be hard.  6.30pm semi final then 11.30am next day final.  all in 30 degree heat.  going to be interesting to see peoples tactics.  is it official there are only 2 semi finals?  normally there are about 4-6.

In case i dont get to see you Dachs - good luck in the 5000.  i have hired a car and hope to get over to see the 5000s with you and simon out there...but with family in tow nothing is 100% certain. (other than beers at around midday on the sunday minutes after the final.....which im sure simon will be all in as well!)
  • I like the stirring, I am naturally quite annoying and I have to spend most of my life trying not to be, it's quite tiring at times. That's why I like Ric, he takes most of the flak on here.

I don't actually know what it's like to be a proper runner, unlike most on here I've not spent much time doing a significant amount of mileage. I do love running but the constant niggles do detract from it.

So I do triathlon because I love being fit above all else. I like seeing people taking the lifts at work when there's only three floors. I like that when I went to the lake for a swim last night a guy was walking away from the lake post swim, breathing like he was still exercising. 

When I am away somewhere, running in the hills or mountains, it's the dull out and backs done at home that give me the fitness to go and do things like that.

I enjoy long runs but that's because I cycle and even the longest of long runs is not that long when your mind is conditioned to spending several hours on a bike. Also a long run can enable you to actually travel a bit and see some trees and fields and stuff.

I was cycling in the Lakes last week, 7am in the morning, glorious sunshine and no cars, as I reached the summit of the climb a bird of prey (I'd love to be able to identify it, I'd guess a peregrine falcon) swooped down in front of me. I stopped briefly to take it in and then spent a few minutes flying down the other side using the entire, empty road to go through the bends. Because of all the training, I could do that descent, even though it meant I'd have to go back up to the top the way I'd came. Fitness gives me freedom to do these things, that's what I love.

• Reg, it's that Ironman level of fitness that is the lofty aspiration of many - and makes me slightly jealous :D 

With SG's mention of consistency, I've been in Italy since Saturday until this coming Tuesday for a conference and course - the long days don't lend themselves to getting out early (I had the intention and did bring some kit!), so I'm just enjoying the coffee, food, wine and festivities. First run back next week will be interesting!

Needless to say, I have declassified GSR as a target race... Gonna continue the base build for next year!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It is still  6 1/2 weeks away Matt! That's plenty of time to have a good crack surely?
    Good luck to all the Spain-ers. One of our women apparently won bronze in the ....hammer (?!) for her age group the other day.

Just a 6.5m today for a single, to try and keep vaguely fresh for tomorrow's eves 5k handicap.
    A few moans from usual suspects at the club that it's starting too late and will be dark, as there's a little bit of tree coverage for a few hundred metres round the back of each lap.
    Will judge it accordingly. If it looks ropey - ease the effort down. Simples
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I like the stirring, I am naturally quite annoying and I have to spend most of my life trying not to be, it's quite tiring at times. That's why I like Ric, he takes most of the flak on here.

Read this and chuckled. Only in a Katie Hopkins sort of way - taking flak for abusing people :)
    Just kidding Ric old son ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps welcome to Hazelnut CH....lurker?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Reg, happy to take the flak if it means keeping the interest around here.

I might have my reasons for occasionally going against the grain.

Not sure about abusing people. Not in my nature.

I did make one crap joke (to be different) involving Scott's knic knacks; and look at how revealing that turned out, but I only said it once.

Abuse was involved, but from what I could see, only in my direction.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think what you said that day was any sort of joke!  But we quickly moved on from that one!Very quickly!
  • Thankfully there's no search facility
  • 4 mile recovery jog at lunch, felt shocking, sore groin too.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

SG - good luck giving PMJ that 6 min head start over 5k. Oh, and Sid even more than that despite his steady string of sub 19s this summer!

I love running. And ticking things off lists. Perfect fit for following a training plan.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool - quite! Though "injury" may explain the two to some extent. We'll see though. 
    Probably quite hard to give accurate markers, and even then it's how people feel on the day. Stevie Illot for instance was stronger than me at Burnham, but at the same fast course was over 30seconds behind (BP). 
    If someone like Chris B was there, he's also got a 17.00 recent time, but he seems a lot better at solo running time trials than racing, which is unusual. I'm not sure if it's the irregular pacing of those around him that affects his style?

As i'm going off last, nothing to lose! No one's overtaking me! Just have to remember not to try and catch the lads in front over half a mile, or i'll probably not make the second half of that mile!!

With 80+ people on a 1.5mile loop, it should be a right old fun game, although it might take until the last half mile for it to open up!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Hello all once again.  Away in Brussels (for a few days) and then Germany for a couple of weeks has meant me losing track of what's going on on here, but if I'd been pressed for a guess at what was going on it would have involved a long race report from a short race by SG, a dispute between Bus and Ric about Bus's training, some short track races from Simon and a couple of weekend double-headers from Pete.  Only things missing from the thread bingo card were PMJ posting a picture of a young lady together with some of her personal details, and Scott offering a punishingly detailed description of his rectum.

Anyways, decent performance from SG oop north, and a shame to see it come out as 17:00, but at least you've got some sub 17s in the bank this year already.

Good to see Pete coming back to some form.  Good half marathon showing from Wool too.

Reg, nice triathloning, particularly in the circumstances of having a mechanical issue.  You must have some real chops on the cycle to be 3rd on that stage even with that issue.

As for my running, managed to keep the miles and sessions up whilst I was away, which is pretty unusual for me, but I can't lose track now with Malaga next week.  On the first few days in Brussels, I found the holy grail for a runner on holiday, which I have always sought but never found - a publicly accessible, free to use synthetic track around a mile from the hotel.  It was a strange distance, my best guess was 350m, and had some weird undulations on the home straight, but better than nowt, so used it for a rep session, even if the timings were irrelevant without a proper track measurement.

Otherwise, the running in Germany was pretty good.  We were at the top of a hill overlooking the Mosel river, so it was a choice of hilly offroad stuff at the top, or drive into the valley and get on the dead flat cycle path along the river, so did a bit of both.  As always with running in Germany, if you're running along what you think is a footpath through the woods, there is always a good chance someone will suddenly drive along it in a perfectly ordinary car, which is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Also, on one of my easy runs, I suddenly stumbled across a urinating middle aged woman in what I'm sure she imagined was a deserted layby.  At least I think she was urinating, I didn't stop to examine the outcome.  I don't think she was too impressed when I came charging out of the bushes at her, and I doubt she will ever achieve true inner peace whilst pissing outdoors for the rest of her life.

Fly out to Malaga on Monday (my parents will be in my house with the kids, burglars!) and race Wednesday and Sunday.  No medal chances, but will be nice just to don the kit.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, and I shall be at Watford tonight Simon, but doing the 3000 as a last sharpener.  Probably won't get there til 8-ish as working quite late, so may not see your race though.
  • Stevie G said:
    ps welcome to Hazelnut CH....lurker?
    Brief delurk:  sorry yes I am.  I idly pressed the Like button on reading Reg's post.  The post just now by Dachs sums it up well as to why I like to read this thread.  Good discussions, interesting characters, great race reports and the length of time it has been going for is also impressive. 

I mostly have a different focus for my own running (maras and hills in particular) and am also a bit on the slow side to join in so I will relurk if I may? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Haha, no worries HN!
    Just spotted the like.

We've long suspected we get a tonneload of lurkers, as even with the colossal egos on this thread, we couldn't rack up the view rate otherwise. Coming up to 8  1/2 years now and although the cast has changed, I'm still here, and keen!

Every so often we have a lurker amnesty.

So let's have another one...any lurkers wanna say howdy?
  • I'll say hello!

Similar to Hazel, really enjoy reading the race reports and training sessions on here. Currently training for my 2nd marathon (London was my first this year) with the benefit of coaching this time round. That said I am racing a 10k on Sunday! Hoping to go at least sub 38, sub 37 if everything goes perfectly

• Same here - enjoy reading the reports and seeing what training life is like for those considerably faster than I could ever aspire to be!

When so few threads on this site get beyond a couple of pages, it is quite good to follow the 'narrative' of the ones which do go on and on!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nice one chaps - good luck to continuing on your pursuits of individual glory :)

AD - never limit what you can do! Especially if you're either not far in, or not on too high a training plan yet.
    You probably have gains, and don't need to drive 200 miles to smash yourself to try and take a second off a pb yet :)
  • Andrew - I would echo Stevie's comments. April last year I ran a 46.29 10k flat out. I then followed up in October with a 1.37 half as my first one, both off fairly low mileage. Since upping my mileage as I got into London I have ran a 1.28 half, 18.09 5k and a 3.22 marathon. Will hopefully take big chunks off those in the next couple of months. So don't put a limit on things! :)
  • Blimey, I was expecting to check in and have quick 2 minute catch up :smile:
    SW, AD and HN - don't be strangers - all welcome on here and some good times being progressed. And I like hills HN :smile:

Dachs - welcome back! Coincidentally I had a similar experience to you in the woods at Hughenden Park on Saturday. A quite large lady taking a pee behind a bush (large to the extent that I briefly wondered why there was such a bright full moon in the middle of the day). She probably thought it was a quiet place for such relief, but actually it's a fairly busy path. As it was also downhill she had no time to adjust her attire before I flew past with a  merry "how do"! 

Good question Ric - love is probably too strong a word though - more like an old marriage I'd say personally. Sometimes painful, sometimes annoying, but generally a comfortable habit with moments of fun and frolics along the way! I'm similar to Reg (though slower and not as naturally annoying :smiley: ) I like being fit enough to do stuff on holidays that most wouldn't and embarrassing the youngsters at work by overtaking them on the stairs on the way to the 10th floor!! Sometimes I like long runs, other times they are a necessary evil and I have to force myself out the door to do them. I nearly always enjoy them when in new, interesting places and especially in mountains.  

Today's lunch run actually involved some speed work for once - a mere 6 x 1/3 mile reps within an out and back along the canal.  As seems to be the pattern, even that has left my legs stiff and sore in ways no amount of steady pace running over hills seems to do! Hey ho - cut back week next week, to coincide with a long weekend in Bruges, where, just for once, I won't be taking my running kit!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tell me what it's like when you get there Bus....remembering my doomed coach day trip that ended in farce at Folkestone a few summers back :)

Glorious day. 6am coach, back home at 6pm, and hadn't bloody got to the place we were going!!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Guess everyone is different with their relationship to running and that's what makes the sport (and even this thread) so interesting. Personally I only really like racing which is great for adrenalin and the buzz of competing well (even if only at parkruns or age group level in my case). I could happily leave all other runs if it wasn't for the fact that I would then be crap in races and parkruns. Herecy to say it here but I would argue cycling is a much better leisure activity if that's the aim. Good for fitness still but less of a strain on the body, more varied in where you get to and more relaxed (beer stops, or at the very least coffee ones, being a regular en route feature!).
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    New posters! welcome all. All abilities, all aspirations.

There's life in the thread yet.

Simon, Dean, good luck. Sounds like whoever recovers best in the heat will do well.

Good catch up news Dachs.
    I guess that woman has had to learn the art of concealment the hard way. 

I came to running; as a way of life, thirty years back. Mostly it was curiosity about fast I could go.

Now I know the answer to that one, I remain in the game to stay fit..and cause trouble.

Total agreement with Pete on the cycling. 

I went sub 34 min for a 10k based on  a 30min blast on the bike twice each day/every other day, and two runs each day, made up of a fast 2 mile am and speedwork pm.
    I did this for three weeks.

9 miles just now, easier. Yesterday biking.

Watched my lad top a Strava KOM with over 4000 people (I'd better check this number again) on it. He averaged close to 60km/hr for that one, as he promptly blew me right off his wheel.

However, he was stuffed for the next twenty minutes.
    Bloody sprinters. What can you do?

🙂

• That's great progress StevieWh, that 5k stands out, looks like there's more to come in the longer distances in particular.

Great 10k performance the other day Hazel, I'm a bit behind over there.

Welcome AndrewD.

Welcome back Dachs. I hope neither you and Bus get arrested for disturbing the pees. I have found since I've had children that the Dad joke thing is real.

I agree with Pete that cycling is more sociable but instead of your body breaking, like running, you do have to deal with the bike breaking.

Cycling KOMS are hard to come by Ric, usually takes a favourable wind. Most of mine are either very long hardly travelled segments or involve a level of danger.

When is this Spain thing, this weekend?

• > @Stevie G said:
    > Haha, no worries HN!
    > Just spotted the like.
    >
    > We've long suspected we get a tonneload of lurkers, as even with the colossal egos on this thread, we couldn't rack up the view rate otherwise. Coming up to 8  1/2 years now and although the cast has changed, I'm still here, and keen!
    >
    > Every so often we have a lurker amnesty.
    >
    > So let's have another one...any lurkers wanna say howdy?

Howdy.

I've always found that regardless of the sport, you can get better from following/watching/reading about etc people who are better than you. So I lurk away to pick up tips. That and the quality chat, obviously.