Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    X post. Great PB stevie. Will await your report but if you can PB in this weather you will again soon enough
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Top marks today guys. PB's from SG and Dean  Incredible in the conditions from Dean.

At least I can identify with the pace in the races today's. I managed the same myself. Only managed 2mins, 2mins & 90 seconds though. Not quite a HM.

Well done. I feel cold just reading.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

WOW Deano, some of those splits along the way are epic! Having obviously run a 10k today, that 33.47 was the one I noticed on the results page. I honestly can't envisage running a 10k at that pace, let alone within a half!

I remember Chingo a while back saying wind was the worst weather, and at the time I thought humidity/heat was. However, I must say I agree with his call now. It can take plenty off you.

I wouldn't necessarily even have a target if I was you. I'd just smash each mile as you can and see what you come out with. Are there any other fast halfs you'll be thinking off, or not until the Autumn now?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps.  next pb attempt is notts or lake vrynwy not sure which in sept.  next 6 weeks are all about 5k racing.  im tempted at putting one in sooner but i want to focus on the 5k so if i can find a quicky in june/july i might be tempted.  Last yrs wilmslow was run in oppressive heat and i can honestly say i prefer last yr.  Although something in the middle would be nice!

you must feel good after delivering a 3rd pb on the bounce in tough conditions yourself

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, let's get my 10k report on paper before it's made to look pony by Dachs n Crispy image

Had fancied Eastleigh for a few years, but for whatever reason i'd miss it, being sold out, or borderline injured or what have we. However, I know the south coast has a greedy amount of fast races, and these days I get down there at least twice a year for a rampage.

After taking 37secs off at Chichester 7 weeks ago, I knew the majority of the fat had come off, but knew that there should still be a smaller chunk. Doing some 1500 and 3k work recently has certainly made 10k pace feel doable in comparison!

So a nice little 75mile drive down, with my old pal Bood, who in 09 did 22or so races with me, but has since fallen off it a little.

Got there and yeah it was pretty darn cold. However, I remembered the cross country races that can be as cold as it gets, yet still runnable in vests. I normally deep heat my arms and legs up and it's normally 100% fine.

Forgot I was meant to be warming up with Dachs, as I'd lost my mate and I had the key and his stuff...so that was the first panic! Did see Crispy briefly, and a bunch of my Sandhurst pals though...I seem to forget that the south coast isn't that far from them.

Stumbled into Dachs on the start line by sheer accident...i was making sure I wasn't too close to the 29/30min guys, and then saw Dachs about 30secs to my right, wearing some very sexy arm warmers.

Did also see BlueNose at the start, who somehow recognised my gruesome mug from my forum pic, not letting the different colour vest put him off!

My race plan was that I knew I needed 3.28 or better to set a pb.

So set off, had a ridiculous racing line, right in the middle, then to the right, when the curve was going left! One particular chap did seem to make it his mission to see how many times he could cut me up. One more and I might have just lashed him down image

But the first km came out 3.18 and certainly didn't feel over doing it, 2nd km came out much the same, and I was thinking, hello, what's going on here.

However, 3 and 4 lost that 20secs I'd just gained, and more some!

The 5th km was downhill, so I was slightly perturbed to see it come out as 3.30, when I wasn't exactly strolling down it.

However, I resolved at that point to screw thinking about maths, as I hadn't actually been looking at how accurate the distances for each split where (i take them manually)

This proved wise, as clearly some of those had been long.

the next one came out 3.14! Clearly short.

It was between 5 and 6k I passed the chap who was less than charming to me regarding that 5k race I won that time image 

I carried on, and didn't see him again, and he DNF, probably due to the shame losing to someone like me would bestow upon him image

Last 4 splits where 3.27,3.35,3.20,3.24, just to show the randomness of their measuring in places!

I'd caught the woman who'd led the ladies race from the off, and was just nicely holding her off to the finish, when this tiny little woman burst past us both and stole the win! I felt a bit gutted for woman number 2..leading for what must have been 9.8km and then coming 2nd!!

It's slightly worrying that my ugly mug might well be in all her "win" pictures too image

It's only fair to point out that there was a fair bit of wind on 2 -3stretches, but I guess you focus on those more when you haven't pbd!

The cold was a problem for some, but to be honest with my footy honed "smothered in deep heat" trick, wasn't even a slight worry to me.

The only thing that

• Great report Dean.... It'll be very differcult for anyone who ran Eastleigh to complain about the weather after Dean's report...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(almost lost the second half of the wafflings)

felt a bit odd, was that the overall atmosphere felt a bit less than the Chichester 10k. May well have been the slight lower standard, or the less tight start line. At Chichester you were very narrowly packed in, and you could feel it was competitive. Here you almost had too much room!  70th at Chichester and 44th at Eastleigh for similar sized races, and just 13secs difference in time.

Good little cool down with Crispy after the race. Dachs and his new pal whose sub 3hour thread alias I've completely forgotten were also with us, but  they were slightly ahead of us and a bit too fast, so we bid them on their way, as 1.2miles cool down was enough for us!!

All in all, delighted with 4 road races giving 4 pbs. A very nice streak, beating the total of pbs from last year! (3).

Have a 5miler and 5k up next, so hopefully a crack at keeping the sequence going.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great report stevie but any chance you will tell us what time you did? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image That was on the last page after Phil's 2 posts...

34:30 to rehash....13sec pb.

ps Phil, just when you thought you'd got lucky whereas the Midlands and North were unlucky with their relays!!

• Great runs there from SG and Dean. I need to check back a year or so ago when I said Dean wouldn't break some barrier as he shows no signs of stopping yet and he may be getting close to that. Last year there were 11 V40 and older sub 71 so it is heady heights if you hit that.

No race gave me a chance to do a muddy 11 so this week is 4*7.5 and 2*11 miles for 52. Not a great deal of variation yet but the base is building nicely.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done boys! Dean sounds like an epic half to be putting in a PB performance, and by a fair chunk - very nicely done. I understand there was a bit of a breeze as well image

SG - seems the trip down south was worth it then - apart from a PB, that particular scalp must have made you chuckle to yourself!

This thread seems to have taken a serious fastwards skew of late - hoep the rest of us can at least make some sort of dent in the gap before too long image

• Stevie... Good to meet yourself and Dachs... I'd already clocked you earlier in the gym, but you seemed to be focased on trying to find someone...

PB today by 22secs, but lost 12-15secs over the last 1/2km, completely wasted, very close to walking... So next "A" race will be Bristol in May, so hopefully just keep doing what am doing and a sub 39 won't be far away...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I wish I could pretend it was some hottie, but I'd managed to lose my mate in that packed hall, and I had all his gear, and the clock was ticking down!!

Nice race Bluie, I definitely remember a couple of km that were pretty wind, but then the route took a turn each time and was back to still....could have used a turn at the Great South for the last 2 months eh Bus!

Bus, you gotta get in on the next south coast jaunt...there's gold in them there south coast races!

Is nice enough to try a new race, but when it's quality standard and fast, even more so!

And I promise a more luxurious drive there these days then what went before!!

Phil, keep going. Marlow is your A race image

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, keep going. Marlow is your A race image

Yes, it has worked out nicely. I would have liked to have done the relays but they were very early in the recovery. I will try and do a fast 5k in April (last Friday of the month) and then Marlow 5 and Staines 10k in May. May also start a few vets events.

• Dean, great race. I woke up to a rattling window because of the wind here and thought you'd struggle to be hitting a PB. Plus I went out to my car and it was nasty cold. A fantastic performance, full of guts and determination. The wind is one of those things that after a few miles you get proper f**ked off with it. I was getting tense on my long run today!

I see big Stu ran a PB too, you'd have him over 5K in May I think. Let's hope the weather has sorted it's self out by May!

Stevie, a great run. One of those where you think "I've only just PB and its windy today" so you could have coasted it. So again a very gutsy run to hit out a 13second improvement. This provides a good platform to move onto training for another distance knowing that the tempo/threshold side of things is obviously good.  

Good work, to Bluenose too. Bet you cacked it blowing at the end thinking if the PB was slipping away!

Just a 17mile long run with 7:19 average for me. Wind was a being a massive pr**k all the way!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Great runs there from SG and Dean. I need to check back a year or so ago when I said Dean wouldn't break some barrier as he shows no signs of stopping yet and he may be getting close to that. Last year there were 11 V40 and older sub 71 so it is heady heights if you hit that.

No race gave me a chance to do a muddy 11 so this week is 4*7.5 and 2*11 miles for 52. Not a great deal of variation yet but the base is building nicely.

Ha ha!....i will save you a search...you "guaranteed" i couldnt take another 6mins off assuming i took 8mins or so off at wilmslow last yr. Based on a standard improvement curve i assume. A yr ago yesterday my PB was 83.30 so i guess that means your unassailable target for me was 69 mins.  I never took offence at the comment (you might well be proved right) just the word guarantee seemed out of place considering you had never seen me run one step.  I believe you withdrew that word later & you did add you hoped i would prove you wrong so i remember that your comment was meant in the right spirit. (you also added a bottle of fizz if i achieved it)

of course i had completely forgotton about it imageimage

Great work on the PB Bluenose.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say well done on the 10k PBs.

I went to watch at Wilmslow: I was just getting out the car when they said the wind chill factor meant it was like -7. I wore four tops, 2 pairs of bottoms, 2 pairs of gloves...but only one hat! I was never particularly warm, so great running Dean: lots more to come on a decent day. There won't have been many PBs today!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good attitude Dean, remember the words and use them to inspire you. I had a couple of nay sayers my self on here over the last couple of years!

Phil's been around, and sub 1hr 10 is a huge target, and is certainly beyond 99% of people.

You have to have the ability, the determination, and the set up to be able to do it. And the vast majority don't have anywhere near enough of the 3 combined.

You may well have enough Deano, as right from those early track sessions it was clear we were dealing with a special cookie. Paces that would put MD kids to shame!

One things for sure, those next 3mins will be harder than the last 3 image

Tell it as it is rant over, Stevie, cracking 17miler at that pace...I've temporarily stolen the "Stevie who is pb ing" title off you, but i'm sure you'll wrestle it back!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers alehouse....bizarely there were a clutch of PBs in the top 10 but everyone said they were way down on expectation or it was their first HM.  The guy who won it in 64 was debuting at a half image

SG - cheers on the comments, but i dont hold any ill feeling as im sure Phil wasnt aiming any ill feeling at me.  Lets be honest if i started a stand alone thread and said my PB is 83.30 and in 2yrs i will go sub 70 aged 41 i bet i would be burnt at the stake.  image

Cheers Stevie S - Big stu was incredible in those last 3 miles.  He took about 40 secs off me. And bearing in mind i hunted him down at telford i thought i would do the same today but he was too good for me today.  He also said complementary things about you today and how well you are training. and if be clockwork you push out a tidy 17 today

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep 100%.

Phil isn't capable of any mean thoughts, even when I try and provoke him to slate someone on some of our runs image

Unlike me, I hold plenty of ill feelings torwards loads of people image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps it's funny, on another forum I was joking that these fast improvers make me sick and some of us came up the scenic route.

Someone said I couldn't claim that myself...But i realise why now, as my power of 10 shows my slowest half as 1:19 in 2010.

In reality I'd done 14 halfs before then and was chisseling down from 1hr 41!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”  Quote: Yoda

look what happened to Anekin.image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It is quite a struggle to stay angry when you run I find in fairness....

• Ha ha nice quote!

Big Stu is on it at the moment, he's been spurred on by the 16-18 yr old whippets, 2 of which have England vests. Crazy, but one of the many great things about our club and running in general. I said you'd be doing crazy times this year Dean and today was only a patch on my master plan for you image

SG, the PB title will be back where it belongs! Got a 4mile race in July, guaranteed PB image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Bluenose - I bet you lived up to your forum name today in that weather too! Always good to see some Pbs in tough conditions. Gives a lot of confidence for when the next one with everything perfect comes together!

Dean, that is some trajectory - something about he characters this forum attracts I guess! Looking at the speed of progress the likes of you and Dachs, and Seb on the XC especially have made over the last year is pretty phenomenal!  I reckon SG will be chipping away though and getting PBs for a good long time!

Phil/SG - feeling a bit more confident about entering Marlow tonight. I did another 4 miles xc tonight, the first and last mile with the kids at a slow pace, but left them at the playground and manage to crank up the pace a little for the middle 2. Nothing spectacular, but a 7:24 and 7:12 on snow and mud with seemingly no ill effects other than a bit of referred pain down the back of the leg. 

Gives me a massive 14M for the week, but throw in 101M on the bike and a swim and I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel fitness or fatness wise! Mind you, being at a 40th birthday party with copious Rebellion IPA by the barrel at my next door neighbours until 1 in the morning like last night is a habit I'll have to slip out of image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah where's the 4miler Stevie. My favourite race was a 4miler near Towcester near Silverstone. It was my only race in 07 and I treasured it, and went back the next year.

Then it got cancelled, so I have a "slightly" soft 4mile pb of  24.22 to beat from 2008!!

Good stuff Bus, keep it rolling nice and gently old son.

• Cracking results guys, well done.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

PC2 and Dachs, stop teasing the crowd, and get your reports up image

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    (you also added a bottle of fizz if i achieved it)

Dean, anything starting with a 6 and I will find a way of getting a proper bottle of champagne to you somehow, won't even apply my normal rules that a 69 is 69:00 or faster.

Bus, if you are creaking about again we need to sort out the action plan. I just joined a sailing club where you need to do duties twice a year and that includes pulling pints of Rebellion form one of their fancy mini-barrels so I know what I am volunteering for.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'll avoid the obvious gags with Phil's post...but say Phil/Bus, this isn't the year to start easing off. I have big plans for our triumverate!