Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - ah, so close!  Sounds like a sub-73 would have been nailed on had you lucked out a little more with the weather.  I guess the wind really must have taken it out of you if you couldn't manage that traditional sub-5 last mile!  Still, great peformance, massive PB and very much a harbinger of great things to come.  4th v40 in that race is certainly no mean feat either.  And I'm glad you hit 33:47 at 10K as opposed to anything quicker, for reasons that will become clear.

SG - as usual, the constant improvements keep coming.  13 seconds off an already tasty PB is no mean feat, and I can see no sign of those improvements slowing, so exciting times ahead.  Good to see you again, though we had to wait patiently for you to have a chinwag with the first ladies.  Priorities, priorities.

Bus - good to see you back to some semblance of running.  Promising that the pain was kept in check.

Bluenose - good to meet you, and congrats on the PB as well.  Brought back memories seeing a Frome vest.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

OK, race report as requested.  Met up with Al_P from the Sub 3 thread (that's the name you were reaching for SG) beforehand for a couple of miles warm up.  Spent a few minutes round my car deciding on which of my warm weather items (hat, gloves, undershirt) to don, but in the end opted for only my new rather fetching arm warmers.  Well, vest and shorts to of course.

Morale was boosted by the anouncer referring to the need to make room for the "elite runners who will be running less than 35 minutes" (hardly, but thanks anyway!).  He then raised a chuckle with "If you're wearing a scarf, you're probably not elite".  I wasn't sure how SG would take his second point of "If you've got 'Joggers' in your club name, you should probably move back too" though.

Splits were done on km markers, and these clearly weren't 100% - I was surprisingly slow in exactly the same places SG was (including a downhill bit), so it must be a measurement thing.  So take the splits with a pinch of salt.

Gun went, and I hurried to follow Al_P and PC2, who I knew would be there or thereabouts for sub-34.  First km in 3:18, before turning head-on into the wind.  Despite this, km 2 came out as 3:15, which raised an eyebrow.  By this point, I was running with PC2, with a tempting group running up about 10 seconds ahead.  Turned into what, to my surprise, was actually a genuine incline, and km 3 came out as 3:29.  This spurred me into action, and decided to make a big effort to catch up the group in front.  By 4 km I'd caught and passed the last few as the group started to fragment, but was shocked to see 3:34 for the km (I can guarantee that at no point was i running 3:34 pace!).  Into the long straight with the wind at my back, and the next km was chalked off in 3:21 to bring up 16:59 for the first 5K. 

That was much too marginal for comfort, so it spurred me to up the pace and start chasing down those ahead.  Caught several over the next two straight km (3:13, 3:23).  Turned back into the wind, and briefly tried to be a smartarse by taking shelter behind a couple of guys I'd caught up, but I soon realised that I'd need to keep the hammer down, so overtook and took the brunt of the wind.  From here on in it was a case of keeping it going, and the last 3 splits were apparently 3:29, 3:18 and 3:19.  Seeing the clock at 33:xx I put in my last effort to cross the line in 33:44, for 29th place.

So, chuffed to bits.  I was sure I could break 34, but had my doubts when I saw the forecast wind.  In the end, it wasn't as bad as feared, and certainly we got off lighter than Wilmslow.  I'm going to take a wild, baseless guess that the wind today was maybe worth about 10 seconds, so not a real deal-breaker, and hopefully means that there is more to come on a similar fast course.  Finished off with a 4 mile warm down.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

when you get to your level Dachs it takes more than wind to stop you! Cracking time!!

I completely didn't hear the chump on the mic. Joggers is a ridiculous name for a club in fairness, they did badly with that name! At least Marlow as Striders which sounds vigorous.

Sub 17 for a 5k within a 10k is a lovely landmark, but starting with a 33:xx is nice. That is getting serious.

• Dean, SG and Dachs - excellent races.

SGs parting shot to me was that he expects a report...

In short (there's not a lot more to say), as per Dachs until the incline, when he left me. As in all my races recently at 3-4k my head was saying the game was up, and as usual I rallied a bit in the last third. Way off the target, but not so far off the pb, 35th in 34.07. Disappointed but its the end of a long winter season and it's starting to show.

Planning a week of no (or at least very little) running this week (x training instead) to regroup and repair before hitting the track.

• https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579994_10151581173085420_339132914_n.jpg

Deano in action, right in the mix!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

PC, probably no comfort, but you're disappointed with a time most people will be delighted with!  We don't like to do it too often, but sometimes you have to look at where you've come from recently!

But am sure you'll come back revitalised and doing more damage to the pbs soon!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - well done mate! They just keep coming - a seriously impressive perfromance that one!

PC2 - hey ho, you can't win 'em all, and just a shade away from the PB. Being slightly disappointed with a 34:07 is not a bad place to be image

Philip - didn't know you were into sailing - bloody good idea mind as you can be pleased when its windy for once!! Or is it just for the beer? They had a polycask and a mini-barrel next door last night, but it all went! After 2 40th birthday parties in a row spent drinking Rebellion IPA, I'm convinced it doesn't even give you a  hangover!

IC - spoke to a couple of people who did the Marlow Duathlon last wee who confirmed it's status as a bit of a hum-dinger conditions wise!

SS -  forget to say earlier, nice long run - sounded like a bit of an epic!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs - sub 34 proper smashed. I think today will be a temporary marker and you will blast it again.

Pc2- a little down on your normal high standards but a decent time all the same.

SS- that's quite a front line, tucked in behind Ben fish who quickly disappeared in a flash of light similar to hitting 88mph in a delorean.
  • Dachs, PC - different outcomes but well done boys. PC a long winter will take it's toll at this point. That's how I felt Friday so glad the relays bit the dust. Fantastic run Dachs! A nice end to a winter of graft. Onwards into the warmer (!?) weather.

Bus, great to see the pain has subsided. Just as case of a phased return to sessions. Then the barrel of ale will be a long fond memory! image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some storming runs today guys, especially in the conditions. Every bodies times are tumbling at the minute!

Looking at who finished ahead of you there Dean, the ones I know of are usually in the elite pen at the Ribble Valley. Andi jones, Ben fish, David Rigby etc. that's not bad company to be mixing with.

SG, another race, another PB. You'll be getting bored of them before long!image

Dachs, like you say, maybe the weather was worth 10 seconds. Regardless of that, that time will continue to tumble.

It goes to show the quality of the times that are starting to show on this thread when PC2 is disappointed with a 34.07.

Today's racing has certainly pricked my ears ahead of Fridays 10k. Hopefully you lot have taken the worst of the weather. image although I did have a good run over pendle today. Gale force winds, snow drifts and 7.5 miles covered in 1.45!!!!! Ha. I had to go out for another 5 later this afternoon. Not sure if these links will work but I took a couple of videos of today's little off road ditty.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151575239282023

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151575231337023
  • Was that filmed in Wilmslow? image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

It really is a joy reading the progress everyone's making at the moment.

SG - another day another PB mate. Sounds like you got the pacing spot on and that's a decent amount to take off so close to smashing it last time.

Dean - sub 34 10k in a HM is class. 73 mins is class. knocking over 3mins off in a year at that level is inspiring. And as others have said, considering the conditions, there's more to come for sure.

Bluenose - considering you were complainng only last week of taking it too easy, a 20 sec PB isn't to be sniffed at! Sounds like some endurance work is needed and that sub 39 will be yours.

Ah Dachs - we all knew sub 34 was on, just by how much. Sound slike the conditions definitely hampered it but that is a great new PB and more to come for sure. You're really flying at the moment - it's great to see and hear.

PC - did make me chuckle that a low 34 mins is 'disappointing', especially in the conditions and that long winter behind you. That's great running no matter how you look at it.

Bus - low 7min miling for xc shows things are moving in the right direction. guess the x-training is helping too. Which bike did you get out of interest? Will you be using it as a commuter?

Phil - Sounds like the cancellation was a God send. Lets you focus on the A races ahead.

SS - our long runs appear to be back in sync mate. 17 miles done here too. I must admit though, we had a bitterly cold wind here and I really didn't fancy getting out and doing it as I needed to do 2 hours with the last 30 mins at threshold pace. This causes issues with what to wear etc etc so I opted for the easy option - the treadmill! It meant I could watch the World XC too on the telly in the gym. 1.30 done in 7.20 pace and then 30 mins at 5.50 pace. All done with drink at hand, warm environment and no (bitter) wind! Made the run easy peasey and actually quite enjoyable!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I fancy a treadmill! trouble is thye take up a ot of room, and to be able to run sub 6 pace you need a really expensive one!

I bought a Quest 7005, equipped with Shimano 105. It is set up as a winter trainer with mudguards and slightly thicker tyres. I will use it for occasional rides all the way to work rather than just to the station - like I did this morning - which is 14-20M depending on route . Ironically, what with taking the downhills a bit gingerly thanks to random ice patches and getting used to drop handlebars again (the brakes are never where you need them!) I was actually slower than one my normal hybrid type commuter!!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

mattl - those videos are insane. bearing in mind what I just said about a slight wind chill and therefore using the gym, I have well and truly made myself look like a proper southern jessy. Like the downhill video though - it that on your phone or one of those go pro camera things?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    They were both taken off my phone. Had to take my glove off to do it and luckily I didn't go flying and lose my phone!

That descent is part of the tour of pendle fell race. It seemed a lot easier to run in the snow for some reason.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    They were both taken off my phone. Had to take my glove off to do it and luckily I didn't go flying and lose my phone!

That descent is part of the tour of pendle fell race. It seemed a lot easier to run in the snow for some reason.

Just noticed my local parkrun had 14 runners on Saturday morning. 'won' in 18 minutes off a 14 minute runner. Conditions not ideal then. image
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

14 runners? People clearly decided to stay at home and I dont blame them!

Bus - not heard of Quest before. In fact, surprised to hear you'd been on a hybrid this whole time. I do hope a roadbike is 'back' friendly

Blog post link below from the Eastleigh winner (he also won the Brighton 10k I ran last November). "the opening kilometres were quite relaxed and not especially fast. I passed 5km in around 15:04 and then just kept pressing." image

http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/rob-mullett/race/eastleigh-10k/666

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

A nice easy first 5k then!

Matt - will take a look at that vid when not in the office - sounds good.

Johnas - i've been thinking about buying a road bike for a long time, on bike to work scheme, but just haven't quite done it. Not helped by having one in the garage that has become unusable due to bits being used, otehr bits rusted etc! My hybrid is actually a pretty fast machine, as I run skinny slicks on it and it's geometry is set up for speed (it's even called a Courier "Race" so must be quick image) There's nothing I like better than passing a lycra clad roadie on it with a cheery "how do"! I've set up the road bike quite carefully, and the back was OK today. Need to try and long ride to be sure though.

Just back from a swim - 70x25m. Will decide whether to ride all the way home or do the train bike combo later - weather's not that enticing! Also thinking of trying a run to work in the morning. Should be OK if I do the shorter 5.5M route.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

there's nothing like an easy first 5k. And a 15.03 or whatever first 5k IS nothing like an easy first 5k image

I did like him saying better conditions would give us all a better time though image

But thought it quite odd him saying that might also bring better standard there....how many 29:xx guys does he think there are to go around exactly!

just the recovery 4miler for me today. And a rest day tomorrow. Classic post race recovery, which is always sensible.  It's easy to think, let's smash onwards and upwards straight away, when it's probably best to just take a quick time out.

• SG, I don't see any humour in a 69,: if they come my way I take them seriously.

The Bus wrote (see)
    Philip - didn't know you were into sailing - bloody good idea mind as you can be pleased when its windy for once!!

I do most things that can be classified as outdoors so all forms of running, climbing, bouldering, canoeing, sailing, rafting, gliding, flying, bungee. Only thing I haven't done is a sky dive and so that is saved for 50th birthday as a tandem job (just feeding the SG snigger there).

I like sailing more than most other pursuits, interesting combination of mind and body so you can't win by pure strength alone but also can't win by simply good technique. The thrust of joining this year is to get #3 sorted out so that we know if she is good enough that we need to buy her a dinghy and she sails on her own or if it is a fad that passes.

• 9.5 today, was funny one. Took a new route saw blind it would be 8 miles got home and I'd ran 9.5! Totally misjudges the little detour but it was the fastest part of the run so the extra mile just got eaten up. Pace was modest at 7:46 though. My glutes/piriformis are killing after the gym on Saturday.

All it took was 3 reps of 20 leg lifts on each side and I'm walking like a prison shower play thing!  Major weakness identified!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

inevitable though isn't it Stevie, when you're really fit in one way, but ridiculously unfit in another (ie weights), you'll simply pay for it muscle wise, like you might have done in the early running days!

I view the weights as a "Nice to have", rather than an essential.

Goodness, even as a single bastad with copious free time, I find 11runs a week, and 2-3sessions a day of strengthening and stretching is enough.

I did about 5mins of light weights tonight, and that was enough. Bored and i sack something off if I can't see much benefit to it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I did about 5mins of light weights tonight, and that was enough. Bored and i sack something off if I can't see much benefit to it.

eh, that does officially make you a light-weight then SG image

I can definitely see the attraction of sailing Philip. is that on the Thames?

Quiet on here tonight...

Spoke to Cooray today. He's running Maidenhead, but was under the impression Marlow 5 was hilly!

Early start to get the kids off to school with Mrs away, 30M on the bike, lunchtime swim and dodgeball with 42 cubs tonight has left me ready for some sleep now! Fingers crossed the tendon holds out for the run to the station tomorrow morning...

• The Bus wrote (see)

I can definitely see the attraction of sailing Philip. is that on the Thames?

Yes, at Cookham. Nice little run down there from here of 7.5 miles so need to get #3 driving so I can sail and run back.

• I am on a sabatical from gliding at the moment Phil. Small world.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I did a sky dive when in Vegas for my stag do the other year. The most thrilling, scariest thing I've ever done. Would definitely do it again though.

It was track Monday yesterday as I want to go easy now before Friday. I had planned on doing Johnas' suggested session but a friend came who is new to running so he didnt have a clue what his 10k/5k pace etc was. Went with the trusty 10 x 400 with 60 sec rec. All came out between 72-75 which was pleasing as the first 4 lanes and around 200m of the track had 4" of snow on it which meant running wide for half of lap.

After the first couple it felt as though id pulled my lower back. Could feel.it on the recoveries but once running it stopped. Been fine since i finished so hopefully it was something and nothing and that's the last of it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, it is hilly, there's that Everest-esque bit past the fire station image

I think with some of these local courses they're good to not do for a year or more, then when you come back you appreciate them more.

I really enjoyed Marlow in 2010, after a 4 year gap after doing 4 in a row. I find the course quite varied, constantly changing direction, lots of crowd support in a few places, and to race in a place I trained so often years back. Great finish too!
    Don't think it's as quick as Victory 5, but then this is on my doorstep and that's 80miles away!!

Matt, tidy paces, hope the back proves to be nothing but a little cold getting into it!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - tha'ts most likely pre-raceitis. We all suffer from that!

SG - that's the section where I threw up 3 years in a row! Just a slight incline when you are close to oxygen deficit imageI know why you enjoyed Marlow 2010 so much - that's the first race where you started leaving me standing by pulling away in the last half mile image

Philip - you can combine the two and give this a go:

http://www.threepeaksyachtrace.co.uk/

I managed a 5.5M steady xc this morning to the station. Still the referred sciatica type pain, but nothing too bad. Slightly sore now, but nothing that feels like it won't fade. Tomorrow off, then if it feels OK I might try an easy 7 on Thursday. Certainly won't be able to do Maidenhead on Friday, but who knows, i might make Coledale Horseshoe after all, even if it's more of a social jog round the route rather than a full on race.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt, nice paces on the 400s.  Sure the back thing's nothing to worry about if you haven't felt it since.

I did a tandem skydive for my 30th.  Not in Vegas though  - in Bicester, which is almost the same.  Meant I could observe Blenheim Palace whilst hanging in the air.  The nerves were unreal beforehand.  Scariest part of it was that the weather was mixed, so I had to wait all day for my chance, with the nerves building.  In the end we sat in that retail park in Bicester waiting for a phone call that I could go up.  Then they take you up in the rickitiest plane you could imagine - one where you half expect to see a lot of crates of chickens in the back.  Awesome though, would definitely do it again.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

i'm not good with heights. i can safely say you'd never catch me jumping out a plane. just doing a helicopter ride through the grand canyon and Las Vegas skyline scared the living daylights out of me. as did the london eye. completely useless up a ladder too.