Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Looks like a new PB today...they have taken a second off my time from sunday so instead of the incredibly sedate 73.09 im now a svelt 73.08. plus they have added 4 lots video footage of each athlete crossing the 10k, 10m, and finsh from two directions.  Its a nice touch as sometimes you dont appreciate how for back you were on some people and still catch them.  I look full of energy in the 10k and ~60yrs old at the finish.  You dont really get an apprecaition for the wind until the video of the finish where the flags and inflatable are under some stress. http://results.bazumedia.com/event/results/event/event-3519?entryID=3793140

SS - as they are of the first handfull of runners Big stu is on each but we are right at the end of the footage.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Will have a look at that later.

Heads up on some bargains here:

http://www.royles.biz/category/4034/Mens

I'm tempted to get som Adizero XT4s....

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

this chap is in our club...anyone want to take him on

SS - he ran winsford xc this yr with that pack on.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

enjoy the second Dean. In these heady days of monstering pbs it may feel small time, but one day you'll be smashing yourself just to take that 1 second off!

Bus, in fairness I think you'd done what the chap on Sunday did, realised you'd get beaten by me, so gave it the DNF treatment image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you'll know you've done a good job on a runner who assumes your place in a race is behind them, when you never see them race again.

I've wiped two guys like that. They couldn't handle the shame of me turning them over. Says something of their popularity that so many others took delight in their retirement.

🙂

• Nice shot of you taking M.Folwer from Wilmslow there. He's a decent runner!

Please say I beat the back pack fellow at Winsford! I saw him at Trafford once trying some record or something over 3K I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Like it Ric.

The game for me is to turn a "beating someone when they're knackered and off form" one off victory, into a regular one.

I can;t imagine driving 75miles to a 10k and not at least completing it though, barring injury or illness.

I ran a 10k with a fever once, but had run thinking "If my mate beats me I'll drop out"

He didn't, I finished, and felt much better for it.

In 145 races I've run, I've only done 2 when properly unwell...that one and a XC where I remember finishing and coughing for about 20mins. All in front of a guy i normally smashed, who'd beaten me by 2seconds who wouldn't accept why he'd beaten me that once image

ps reason for running when ill? Apart from being an idiot? club championship in the days when you had to do every race (14-16) to make sure you competed in all 4 areas! Now that was a bind!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

enjoy the second Dean. In these heady days of monstering pbs it may feel small time, but one day you'll be smashing yourself just to take that 1 second off!

Bus, in fairness I think you'd done what the chap on Sunday did, realised you'd get beaten by me, so gave it the DNF treatment image

That wasn't the DNF one (that was 2011). You just beat me fair and square and any response on my part to have tried to catch would have seen me throwing up with half a mile to go and crawling over the line! (though I think I still did throw up on the line in front of Bucks TV image)

Has he posted on FB why he DNF'd?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cramping up or something.

Ah yes, 2011 right you are. I remember that being quite a hot year, and I came out a little underpar, along with in a couple of other races leading to a bit of a halt on racing. Was the right call at the time.

I was finishing races thinking, at least the next one isn't xx distance...which was probably a sign of a little bit of race fatigue.

As a contrast, having done 2 10ks in 7 weeks, I'm looking forward to the next one in May!

Marlow is a quality race though. Not sure if it's the locality or the distance, but it tends to be the best post race banter of the year. There are literally way too many people to chat to.

Thread pals, work lot, Marlow and Handy Cross runner pals, local rivals, old footy mates, and just other randoms I know..

Normally about 100 or so people I'll know...and by sods law I'll do another race and know 1 person if that!

• TRACK TUESDAYS

8 x 800 off 90 seconds recovery ('The Bus'). Average rep time was 2:44. Was a lot of weaving involved but decent enough. Was tough having not done any speed work last week, but pleasing. I think 2:44 is around 17:00 min 5K pace so comfotably in my VO2 max zone (3-5K).  

• Good session SS. I like how we're naming our track sessions after threaders.

Plan was a 6.5km medium-tempo section at 4:12/km so threw this in to my club run tonight. So 11.5km in total with a 7km tempo session: 4:01, 4:21, 4:11, 4:13, 4:16, 4:02, 4:11. Average pace 4:10 so not too bad, especially as I thought I'd suffer up the odd incline. The 4:21 was waiting for traffic.

Quite a comfortable pace.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I can die happy now - I have a session named after me image.  If I'm being pedantic, it should perhaps be the same session but half miles (804.6m) instead of 800s, but NAD and I suppose I am doing more on the track now! (then/will be - you know what I mean!?)

Couple of good sessions there IC and SS.

Nearly always good weather for Marlow SG too, whihc heps with the overall ambience!

Quiet on here tonight - where is everyone else?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

8x800 sounds a full session, not sure I've done more than 6x800 I think. Some of you lot love to smash it though image

Back into the proper training today. Got a 12 and a 4 today.

Last day at work until after Easter so the 12 gave me a little quandry of how to fit it in.

Therefore, am going into Sunday mode. Got up at 6am, will drive to work shortly, and run the 12 at 7amimage

Reminds me of the old days, when once a month I had a 10-6 shift. Sometimes I'd get a 10miler in before work.

But in those days I was foolish with refuelling, and ran it too hard. So by about 12 I was utterly monstered! These days it all works a bit better thankfully!

• Stevie see wrote (see)

TRACK TUESDAYS

8 x 800 off 90 seconds recovery ('The Bus').

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Good session SS. I like how we're naming our track sessions after threaders.

No holiday yet for me but looks like I will miss a few runs (wife's birthday, Daughter's 21st, Easter ...) so ned to get a few miles in today so will do a 13 or 14 at lunchtime and then a track session tomorrow. I do 6x800m which must be the minibus as a full bus is 8x804.672 m

IC, was the gliding comment for real or a throwaway? If I had the time, money and permission (it is on the banned list at the moment)  I'd like to take it back up. To some degree it is like a 3D version of sailing so also that mental aspect to the sport.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

IC, was the gliding comment for real or a throwaway? If I had the time, money and permission (it is on the banned list at the moment)  I'd like to take it back up. To some degree it is like a 3D version of sailing so also that mental aspect to the sport.

Real. I soloed in 1995 with the Air Cadets, then stayed on as junior staff. Topped out as a senior instructor and Engineering Officer. Resigned commision and took sabatical because of work & IM trainng pressures.

I hadn't considered the 3D sailing comparison but it certainly rings true; though I can't think how you can run out of water in a yacht. Running out of sky in a glider can be slighty interesting!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

For both, running out of sky is a problem - just a bit more sudden with a glider!

I've flown a glider once. It was a fantastic experience that I've always meant to repeat, but somehow never have. The instructor was a proper old school Biggles lookalie with handlebar moustache and leatehr flying jacket. Mind you, he was so old I was seriously concenred about how I would land the thing in the event of a heart failure!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

havent put my trainers on this week, sore heavy legs after not warming down at all on sunday or taking on any form of recovery drink/food within the following 30mins.  No bad thing considering the temps and snow.   i have some feeling in them today so will attempt 20mins on the treadmill at a very slow pace.

but next week the 5k training starts for 6 weeks. Some of the sessions look brutal.  Looking forward to them.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

nice TRACK TUESDAY SS and IC. 10mins @ threshold followed by 3x (4x 400m) @ 5K pace for me last night - threshold at 5.47 pace and intervals all came out between 76 and 78 seconds which is slightly too fast  but I'm happy with that considering I felt awful last night - the cold is really getting on my nerves. I can't seem to warm up properly and just feel sluggish the whole time.

9 miles before 7.30am this morning felt slightly better at sub 7min miling

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, what kind of sessions are you looking at for 5K?  My rough plan is to (temporarily) focus on speed rather than mileage for the next couple of months with the aim of targetting some Spring/early summmer 5 and 10Ks.  This may involve a risky strategy of 2 sessions a week, albeit that I may count a parkrun as a session if I can get to one or two.

After that I plan on swtiching it around totally and focusing on slow miles and building up the volume in June and July before the proper marathon specific stuff through August and September.  I am now of the belief that I trained too long at (for me) very high mileage for the marathon last year, and ended up 'peaking' in about August, so I shall have a shorter marathon specific phase this time, and try to get my 20s and MP sessions into a shorter time frame.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Couple of things from yesterday. Easy run over 10 miles that averaged 7:25's. So that'll do for now distance wise. 

The other was the excuses surrounding dnf's and the like. 

SG, your guy said cramping or something. I didn't hear any excuses from any of the guys I unexpectedly beat, but there was some after race mutterings from one of them.

He actually came up to me after the race and said, "I guess you are aware that's the first time you've beaten me in a race. I'd appreciate it if you didn't go banging on about it to everyone".

Well I didn't. But one or two others who overheard this request did.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - im following an elite 5k plan but obviously paces are significantly slowed down for me.   It basically advises that your effort is the race distance and pace is a target race pace. 

Tuesday is longer reps and thursday is shorter reps. So each week rotate tuesdays sessions between 800m/1k/1m reps all at target 5k race pace with 200m jog rec for 800s and 400 jog recovery for the others .  ensure you cover 5k of distance.  So if that means adding on a 200m for a final short rep then fine. 

Thursdays is 200s/400s again covering 5k distance at 1mile race pace with 1min recovery.

For the first couple of weeks i will give myself the luxury of longer recoveries to get the pacing consistant and then shorten them in. for example for the first one i might do 5*1k but with 1k jog recovery.  But i have to hit target pace.

During the week i will drop the weekly mileage and run easy.  Never running above 10miles in a session to keep my legs fresh for the sessions.

i can share the actual plan and details if you wish, might be easier to email though

• I'd like to see the plan too, for curiosity.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - thanks, sounds good.  I'll PM you my e-mail address.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Or rather I won't, as you are un-PM-able.

• Johnas, what is the thinking in doing 400s at 5k pace vs something faster?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs tried twice to PM you but looks like it might have failed/or you have 2 messages from me.

If it didnt work i will post it direct as the spreadsheet image embed function isnt working for me either

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Iron - erm, I'm not sure to be honest. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the session basically equalling doing a 5k at 5k pace making it a good speed session for marathon training but with plenty of recoveries (50 seconds between intervals).

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs & iron - 5k plan for 7 weeks

Mondays - 6m recovery pace

tuesday - Long rep tracks details below

wednesday - 10m easy

thursday - short rep track details below

friday - Rest

Sat - 7 miles steady/tempo mix

Sun - 10m LSR

track sessions tuesday at target race pace, thursdays at 1 mile race pace.

wk1 tues 6*800+200 with 400m rec   -  thurs 12*400+200 with 100m rec

wk2 tues 5*1k with 1k rec   -  thurs 16*200 with 1min rec (lower distance as i have a 5k road relay race on the weekend)

wk3 tues 3*1mile with 1mile rec   -  16*200 with 1min rec (lower distance as i have a 3k race on the weekend)

wk4 tues 6*800+200 with 200m rec   -  thurs 12*400+200 with 1min rec

wk5 tues Rest as i have 1500m race on wedn -  thurs 20*200 with 1min rec

wk6 tues 5*1k with 400m rec   -  thurs 25*200 with 1min rec

wk7 tues 8*400 with 1min rec  then RACE on Friday!!!

appreciate any feedback on this as im prepared to tailor it

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Holy smokes!  Well, it'll certainly be interesting to see how that works for your 5K, that's a very intensive lot of speedwork.  Will you be running some short track races off the back of it as well?

I certainly won't be doing anything approaching that level of intensity and specificity, but it will be useful to cherry pick the odd session.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i will have 3 races in that period: a 1500m in the vets track league, 3000m at target 5k race pace, and probably a long stage (6m) at the national road relays.

One thing i learnt from last yr is i need to train specifically for the 5k, it feels so different from a 10k that you need to be on pace from the first step.  when i was more general training i couldnt get within 25 secs of my 5k pb.