Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

I actually looked today for fixtures for those meets. Will have to think about it, as I'm trying not to skip long runs!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SS - absolutely, as long as the subject has a beard, cos i can't do chins.

Last big run of the marathon campaign tonight. 21 with 3 x 3 miles at MP (about 5:56 pace). Did the MP on the track, largely cos i had to go down to pay my membership. Legs are a bit mashed now though.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice running Dachs. A 21 miler midweek, not sure I'm too keen on one of those. image

After a quiet week training wise last week I tried a bit of a session on Tuesday on the treadmill (time constraints) plan was to run 2 x 5k at tempo (5.27 pace) but my legs were folding in the second one so it ended up 5x3x2k off 90 secs. I don't think running in the morning helped or the long hours I've been working then redecorating half of my house!

A nice 10 yesterday at 6.29 pace. Can still feel my foot twinge early on in runs and still aware that I seem to be over compensating, well it feels like it but not 100% if I've always landed like that and my mind is playing tricks on me. Managing the miles so no disaster.

Stevie, I'm also running great Manchester 10k in May, apparently it's a quick course and I'm not hopeful of a great run at Salford so a bit of a back up.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No Matt, I'm not too keen on them either.  I consoled myself with the thought that, VLM aside, I'm unlikely to be running that kind of distance again for at least 2-3 years.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - that's one hell of a session! All the hard work is done now (marathon itself aside of course image)

Matt - nice ten that. Hopefully the foot is on the mend.

Iron - thanks, and seems like you are going in the right direction now

Ric - that description sounds spot on, and is pretty reassuring as to where I am. It actually made me do my 7.5M route to work this morning instead of the shorter 5.5M I might have. Glad I did, as it was a much better run than yesterday. Legs felt OK, and the discomfort started exactly where predicted but never got beyond that.

• Options

Matt the GMR is super quick and a good day all round with the athletics in the streets after.

I don't know who is interested but they've announced a 10K track festival at Trafford with a Northern 10K champs as the elite blue ribbon event, but with graded races all day. It's early September so perfect with my intentions of running a marathon in Oct. If I'm still in one piece I'll be well up for it.

Last night was a brisk 10 on 6:55abg, and tonight was 4 x 5mins (90s rec) in 5:40 pace.

Dachs, phew... now to rest and let your legs absorb all the training. As your legs return you'll no doubt start to feel super positive about the VLM.

• Options

Injury wise I guess it's similar to when we all started running Bus. Push the distance a little each week. The extra half mile hurts to begin with,  but 3 weeks down the line that half mile is bread and butter. 

Some impressive mileages on this year's marathon campaigns. Well done. 

Looking back,  I'm certainly a lot better than 2 weeks ago. No chest tightness or anything. Think the week in the sun helped. 30min at recovery HR today. 1h15 bike tomorrow then Sa off,  1h run Sun. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good training going on from Dachs, matt and SS there.

ss - I had heard of the the 10k trafford festival and I'm interested.  But all depends on how the rest of my summer goes.

I have been sick since Saturday and hadn't run at all until a very slow 20 mins at lunch. But as I had stopped coughing and hacking up decided to do the session at a track. one to work on running economy Rather than flat out speed.

6*400 65 target off 3 min rec.  they came out 61,65,65,65,65,65.  The first one was a huge balls up on my part. Coach blows the whistle on 32secs and I was 10m down so I accelerate to get the rep on pace.  Cross the line in 61 to looks from the coach of WTF!. Turns out I heard the wrong whistle and was actually on pace.  Doh!image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Glad you're on the mend Iron.

Dean they're rapid! Jesus!

I did 10 x 400 off 60 secs last night as I can't remember the last time I did any rep less than 800s. A few 70/71s, I hit a 69 and then fell away to 72/73s. I'd be lying if I said they were easy too! I found it bloody hard going in all honesty and although it was into quite a strong wind and rain the times show where my weakness is.

I then added a mile at tempo on after which I think came out at 5.26 but felt pretty comfortable.
  • Options

Dean that wasn't a whistle it was you breaking the sound barrierimage

Matt/Dachs/Stevie also great sessions, Matt your pace will come when you get used to the quicker reps again!

I'm backing off slightly for Sunday's 10k but annoyingly picked up a cold bug whilst away in Oslo image

I did 8x 2mins (90sec recov) - Tuesday on farmers track ave pace 5.00min miles and then a 7.2 mile last night ave pace 6.48 (even after a first mile of 7.54) and then did 6x30 sec strides ave pace 4.17 min milesimage

• Options

Dean, you need to be ill more if you can run that fast afterwards.

• Options

Some rapidness there guys!

Dean - unsurprisingly I'd read up on the effect of illness vs fitness lost. Causality between illness/time off and reduce aerobic performance. However anaerobic performance apparently largely unaffected by time off (3-6 weeks).

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

image i think the rest & zero running for 5 days helped recharge the batteries. though i felt more tired than i normally would on the last rep.

did a cheeky 4m tempo on the treadmill at lunch today with a mile either side for warmup/down.  1% incline and 5.45 pace.  i think its easier on a treadmill and to be honest i should have gone at 5.30 pace but after last night and im planning on a 15m tomorrow morning so didnt make sense to push it for the sake of it.  I will know by sat breakfast if im over thiis recent sicknessimage

matt - 69/70 of 12*400 off 60rec is a good session that i expect you could do comfortably so i agree with rob a few go's at it and you will find the pulse.  the fact you were in the 72/73s probably hints at you being leggy from your other training.

rob - is the 10k the cheshire 10?  supposed to be fast and flat.

has the taper started for the VLM'ers or still some more to go at?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - still got a couple of sessions this week (the big one I did on Wednesday and a track session tonight).  Main difference this week is that I'm not chasing miles wherever I can, although I'll still go north of 70.  Next week will be a decent reduction to 50 ish.

• Options

Taper has stated but doesn't feel like it. Bad planning means I have run 13 days in a row and done 128 miles in those 13 days.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Joined in the 400s fun at club tonight - 10 x 400 on/400 off. Planned session was longer reps, and I would normally go for shorter recoveries, but I turned up a bit late and didnt have time to disagree, so went with it and ended up having fun with it. 70, 73, 71, 70, 71, 70, 70, 70, 69, 68 for an average a couple of tenths over 70. 

Its been many months since I did any 'pure' speedwork, so very pleasantly surprised at the pace. Definitely could have squeezed out afair few more at that pace. Not comparable with Matt and Dean though, due to the length of recoveries. Miles before and after to make 11.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Still a sharp session Dachs.  Once this long race is out the way some sharpeners should see ypu right for a 5k blast.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, probably the kind of session needed during the taper. 

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Dachs.

I might squeeze a parkrun in this morning otherwise I'll end up plodding as per!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

parkrun for me this morning. Beautiful day for it!

Just pipped Philip by a couple of seconds - he was maintaining pace and I was fading sharply! Lucky for me he has all those miles making his legs heavy image

Reasonably happy with an average 5:55 pace at this stage, but would be happier if it had been more even! (5:46, 5:57, 6:05!). 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good running Bus and Phil.

Parkrun for me too. Had a bit of a mare but a session if nothing else. The problem is there's a long straight about 0.75 of a mile and it's like a wind tunnel every time. There's never any let up and you've to run it twice. Grass sections were slippy and a car parked on the path didn't help so 17.12 unofficial time. Did 5 hill reps afterwards that are about 50secs long and then a mile at tempo (ran without checking my watch). Around 10 miles in total.
  • Options

As bus says, parkrun so I was third finisher and second on the thread. Second overall on WAVA as well, ahead of the speedy youngster but behind the VW60-65. Those old lady times are very easy: if you run 25 minutes for 5k as a 65 year old male it is 67% WAVA but do the same as a female and it is 82.3%.

parkrun was fun, set off in sixth place behind a fast youngster who went away and was never seen again, 2 unknown fast starters, bus and another local fastish senior runner who bus and I have doubled up on before an sometimes come out ahead and sometimes behind. For the first km I sat in the back of the bunch of 5 and sheltered form the wind, then the two fast starters dropped back and there were the three of us left. bus pulled ahead and  I followed, and I pushed on a downhill thinking bus would do the same but he didn't so I was ahead at the first turn, quarter distance. On the first leg back, I fell back to third in our little bunch (fourth overall) and almost turned the wick down but decided to have a second crack so got back onto bus' shoulder and second place, and the lead again on a downhill where bus' legs don't stride out. bus took me just before the halfway turn with third still in touch but blowing, and by three quarter distance bus and I were clear of him so it was just chasing bus home. I could feel the pace drop and knew he was slowing, but so was I, but overall a new PB by 21 seconds of 18:26 and suddenly a 17:xx in the summer is back on the cards.

• Options

So, pot hunting list:

Marlow 5 mile Sunday 11th May

Ickenham 5 Mile Race Sunday 8th June 2014

Run the Rock 5k and 10K Race Sat 7th June. 5k has to be a winner surely.

Spot the two threadsters.

http://www.runtherock.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/slide1.jpg

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

How can you remember all that detail Philip image

As the current champ (!!!) for Run the Rock, I keep being asked by one of the organisers who knows me if I'm doing it this year. Two things make me hesitate - it's the day before Ickenham 5, which might be a target race depending on how Marlow 5 goes, and secondly, I suspect that this year some of the serious local boys will turn up and make me look slow image

The RtR 5k would be a given though Philip!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - damn decent parkrun time, but I guess a fair bit of your usual standard thanks to the wind etc

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good parkrunning chaps.  must be more interesting having a known face to measure against.

15m lsr for me before breakfast. all going well until 10m at 6.50 ave pace, then I turned into the wind and next mile was 7.45, then a 7.3x and for the next 3 miles my legs had turned to jelly.  very sore and no chance of getting above a 7.30 pace and the wind had dropped and was hardly noticeable now.  I had gone!

im guessing my body had downed tools as I did a 4m in 5.45 pace yesterday, a track session on thursday plus todays LSR I must have ran out of energy from the recent sickness.  so I will rest and make a call on tomorrows 45min easy run.

• Options

If I've done 3 sessions in a week I limit my LSR to 12, as I've experienced what you described there Dean. Do an easy 30mins tomorrow if you're not too sore. I always find a foam roll of the quads can make a huge difference.

Good Parkrun boys. Bus, every Parkrun I've done has followed a similar pattern to yours. It's so hard to maintain anything like a decent pace. I've always struggled for 10K pace in the 2 I've done.

3 miles recovery last night, 4.5 easy this morning and some hill reps tonight. Long run will be around 12-13. Unless I feel particularly great... which I won't!

• Options
    Dropping in for a quick one, I haven't read back but thought a few of you will like this

Fancy Perth parkrun ?

Not quite sure it's accurate ......

I don't mind being wrong or if I've missed something about it, but crazy!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - that's some sharp times!

Could be a combination fo things making a perfect storm there Dean - 3 hard sessions, quick first 10, hard work into the wind and then running out of carbs with no brekkie on board. That first 10 will have burnt your carb stores up a bit faster than a slower pace. 

Cheers Stevie!

Nice walk in the sunshine this afternoon to shake the stiffness out of my legs. Hoping I'll be OK on another ten tomorrow.

Remind me - who's racing tomorrow?

• Options
    Scott Edgington wrote (see)
    Dropping in for a quick one, I haven't read back but thought a few of you will like this

Fancy Perth parkrun ?

Not quite sure it's accurate ......

I don't mind being wrong or if I've missed something about it, but crazy!

Got to be short. 14:07 for V50-54 and others are 3 -4 minutes faster.